• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to pack for women walking the Camino walk starting at SJPP to Santiago May-June

Gogama ON

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino From SJPP to Santiago May-June (2019)
We are walking from May into June,
looking for ideas of what to pack women we will be carrying all our belongs & staying in Albegues
Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome to the Forum,
looking for ideas of what to pack women we will be carrying all our belongs & staying in Albegues

Welcome to the Forum, Gogama :) I've re-posted some things below which may also help you as you continue with your planning.

American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) has a nice FAQs about a pilgrimage on a Camino which may give you some additional help.

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the Forum,

Welcome to the Forum, Gogama :) I've re-posted some things below which may also help you as you continue with your planning.

American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) has a nice FAQs about a pilgrimage on a Camino which may give you some additional help.

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
This ought to be pinned to the top of the page!

Yes I am a man and I hope that does not exclude be from commenting on what to take for a lady. But then I am going back for the third time in April with my adult daughter. I have told her to take what I always take. That is a belief in your self a belief in the other pilgrims around you and if you wish a belief in some one else as well. O and a good pair of shoes. Good luck God bless.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This was my back in 2016 (if memory serves me correctly!) July/Aug French Way.

One long sleeve shirt. (another I was wearing)
One long pants (another I was wearing)
One t-shirt
One jacket (see picture)
Two pairs of panties (another I was wearing)
about three pairs of socks (I was usually wearing two pairs)
one bra (another I was wearing)
Sneakers (aka runners) or walking sandals depending on what I was wearing at the time
Some bandaids
Some feminine hygiene products
Sunglasses or glasses (I always had a pair on, as they are prescription)
hand sanitizer
little baggies (plastic Ziploc bags)
snacks
water
camera
cell phone
charging cables for the two above electronics
a usb charger with a Spanish plug, plus my adapter for home
some little notepads and pens
Sleeping bag (I cannot sleep if I am the least bit cold)

I think that was everything. I slept in the clothing I was going to wear the following day. So basically, hike all day and get icky, shower at the albergue then put on clean clothes. Wash the icky clothing, dry and then they will be ready for the next day.

I tried really hard to bring the least amount of things with me. I normally over pack!

This was my back in 2016 (if memory serves me correctly!) July/Aug French Way.

One long sleeve shirt. (another I was wearing)
One long pants (another I was wearing)
One t-shirt
One jacket (see picture)
Two pairs of panties (another I was wearing)
about three pairs of socks (I was usually wearing two pairs)
one bra (another I was wearing)
Sneakers (aka runners) or walking sandals depending on what I was wearing at the time
Some bandaids
Some feminine hygiene products
Sunglasses or glasses (I always had a pair on, as they are prescription)
hand sanitizer
little baggies (plastic Ziploc bags)
snacks
water
camera
cell phone
charging cables for the two above electronics
a usb charger with a Spanish plug, plus my adapter for home
some little notepads and pens
Sleeping bag (I cannot sleep if I am the least bit cold)

I think that was everything. I slept in the clothing I was going to wear the following day. So basically, hike all day and get icky, shower at the albergue then put on clean clothes. Wash the icky clothing, dry and then they will be ready for the next day.

I tried really hard to bring the least amount of things with me. I normally over pack!
Thank you, what a very minimal packing list, perfect for back packing.

I didn’t know about the forum when I planned to walk the final stage in September, I found tons of lists and great articles on Pinterest, just search Camino de Santiago. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Weather can be very changeable...so have layers. Take as little as possible...try washing items out in your sink and see how they dry. I ditched some short pants because they took so long to dry. Forget fashion ...go for functional. Only thing I splurged on was socks ...took enough that I could change mid day and fresh ones after a shower! Try for duel function...my sarong was my towel, privacy curtain on a bunk sometimes and a skirt in the evenings...

This is my packing list for 3 different Caminos (2 x in Sept. on CF, and 1x in Portugal in Apr.) and will stay the same for the 4th one probably.

Deuter Back Pack ACT LITE 35+10L, 1580 gr. 139.95€
Meindl Hiking Boots w/Gore-tex, 169.95€
Meru goa comfort Sleeping Bag, 830gr, 39.95€
Babimax folding trekking Poles, 39.95€
Meru knee length fleece jacket, 69.95€ (this may change on my next Camino)
Bluefield Poncho, 29.99€, 330 gr.
2 pair hiking pants, 300gr. each
3 light blouses - 1 long sleeve, 2 short sleeve
Eagle Creek black silk money belt, 24.95€
Hip pouch, 8.50€
2 wide mouth plastic bottles, total 5.90€
extra pair of eye glasses
3 pair wool socks, 30.00€
2 pair knee high support hosiery
mini solar light, 9.95€
mini whistle, 4.95€
caribiner clip, 1.99€
Camino Frances Guidebook by Joos, 16.90€
Light knee-length sleeveless night gown, 125gr.
2 camisole bras
3 pair underwear
Waffle weave cotton towel 140x70cm - 300gr.
8 plastic clothespins
10 safety pins
2 shoelaces (used to tie up sleeping bag instead of stuff sack)
Baseball cap
Pillow case
Scarf
Mini knit gloves
Crocs for shower and relaxing, in cloth bag
Pilgrim Credential
Camino Passport/Credential Cover, 2.00€
Travel toiletries (toothpaste, travel toothbrush, shampoo, tiny bottle of oil to use on hair, body wash, q-tips) in zip-lock bag
Small detangler hairbrush
First aid kit (band-aid strip, Immodium, Benadryl, Medi Nait cold pills, migraine pills) in zip-lock bag
Bandanna cut into 1/4ths, in a zip lock bag as emergency TP
P-Style FUD
4 light mesh packing bags, 2 €
1 pen
I-phone & cables, plug

The weight is 6.7kg.
Used NO Bite permethrin spray on sleeping bag and back pack-14.95€
Will be wearing one shirt, one pair pants, one pair of socks, 1 bra, pair of panties, plus my hip pack and money belt. Money belt has my bank card, ins. card, big money, train ticket. Hip belt has guidebook, passport and pilgrim pass in a plastic holder, iphone, tissues, mints, glasses, pen, journal, choc. bar. At night, my money belt goes into my hip pack and sleeps next to me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is my packing list for 3 different Caminos (2 x in Sept. on CF, and 1x in Portugal in Apr.) and will stay the same for the 4th one probably.

Deuter Back Pack ACT LITE 35+10L, 1580 gr. 139.95€
Meindl Hiking Boots w/Gore-tex, 169.95€
Meru goa comfort Sleeping Bag, 830gr, 39.95€
Babimax folding trekking Poles, 39.95€
Meru knee length fleece jacket, 69.95€ (this may change on my next Camino)
Bluefield Poncho, 29.99€, 330 gr.
2 pair hiking pants, 300gr. each
3 light blouses - 1 long sleeve, 2 short sleeve
Eagle Creek black silk money belt, 24.95€
Hip pouch, 8.50€
2 wide mouth plastic bottles, total 5.90€
extra pair of eye glasses
3 pair wool socks, 30.00€
2 pair knee high support hosiery
mini solar light, 9.95€
mini whistle, 4.95€
caribiner clip, 1.99€
Camino Frances Guidebook by Joos, 16.90€
Light knee-length sleeveless night gown, 125gr.
2 camisole bras
3 pair underwear
Waffle weave cotton towel 140x70cm - 300gr.
8 plastic clothespins
10 safety pins
2 shoelaces (used to tie up sleeping bag instead of stuff sack)
Baseball cap
Pillow case
Scarf
Mini knit gloves
Crocs for shower and relaxing, in cloth bag
Pilgrim Credential
Camino Passport/Credential Cover, 2.00€
Travel toiletries (toothpaste, travel toothbrush, shampoo, tiny bottle of oil to use on hair, body wash, q-tips) in zip-lock bag
Small detangler hairbrush
First aid kit (band-aid strip, Immodium, Benadryl, Medi Nait cold pills, migraine pills) in zip-lock bag
Bandanna cut into 1/4ths, in a zip lock bag as emergency TP
P-Style FUD
4 light mesh packing bags, 2 €
1 pen
I-phone & cables, plug

The weight is 6.7kg.
Used NO Bite permethrin spray on sleeping bag and back pack-14.95€
Will be wearing one shirt, one pair pants, one pair of socks, 1 bra, pair of panties, plus my hip pack and money belt. Money belt has my bank card, ins. card, big money, train ticket. Hip belt has guidebook, passport and pilgrim pass in a plastic holder, iphone, tissues, mints, glasses, pen, journal, choc. bar. At night, my money belt goes into my hip pack and sleeps next to me.
Very helpful we will be going early May into the end of June we are thinking of splitting up the trip from SJPP over night in Valcalros next day onto Ronscevalles

I'll be doing the same, but starting in Burgos. I'm anticipating that conditions will start out fairly chilly and warm up towards June. One thing that no one has mentioned is the wind chill. On a seriously windy day you might never warm up, no matter how much you have on.

The one thing I wish I had packed was a cute, lightweight little dress or skirt to put on between showering and bedtime. (some people use a sarong.) My towel was a lightweight cotton terry baby towel and worked great. I was happy with the sleeping sack I sewed from an old sheet, but I do recommend a sleeping bag if you need to be warm while you sleep. The two people I met last summer who got bedbug bites probably got them from albergue blankets.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m all for the “town dress”, particularly as I am not a younger woman. I like looking civilised when going out to dinner. I’m looking to sew one myself out of a lightweight silk jersey, that can also double as my nightdress.

I did that last year. Fleece gloves and hat were crucial as it was cold and windy in the mornings especially higher up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A few tips:

They didn't have these back in my day, but my daughter swears by a Diva Cup for menstruation. No waste products.

I loved my solid shampoo and conditioner bars. I had a bar of soap, too, for body and clothes. I kept the soap in a nylon net bag that I could hang on the line to dry with my clothes.

Don't go crazy on toiletries, first aid products, etc., as you'll be able to find what you need in farmacias along the way.

I separated my things into three different colored nylong bags: 1. clothes, 2. toiletries/first aid products, and 3. gadgets. So I could just pull out what I needed. Plastic bag rustle when you open and close them, which drives others crazy in the albergue.

Earplugs

A plastic S hook to hang my shower stuff on the stall door while I showered.

Little squeeze flashlight. I didn't see the need for a headlamp or bigger flashlight.

My android phone worked great as a camera, too. My pictures were as good as those people took with expensive cameras.

I brought a very lightweight simple dress I could wear while my hiking clothes were drying on the line. This was also nice to have when I didn't want to just look like another walker in town.

Of course my list was more comprehensive than this, but these are a few items that come to mind that I appreciated having along. As well as the WisePilgrim app. on my phone.

Could you give us an idea of an ideal weight of our back pack??
Zero. :)

Seriously, there are many of us who consider 5 to 8 kg (12 -18 lb) to be a good compromise between weight and requirements. I carry 5-6 kg (not counting water) and have everything I need for almost any weather.

Load up your pack, adjust it properly, and go out for a 20 km walk, two days in a row. I'll bet that you re-think your contents for the second day!

Could you give us an idea of an ideal weight of our back pack??
Should be no more than 10% of your weight but Im about 55k and my backpack was around 8/9k and fine

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the Forum,

Wise & encouraging words!

I’m all for the “town dress”, particularly as I am not a younger woman. I like looking civilised when going out to dinner. I’m looking to sew one myself out of a lightweight silk jersey, that can also double as my nightdress.
Nightdress doesn’t always work when climbing into a top bunk 🙃

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nightdress doesn’t always work when climbing into a top bunk 🙃
As an older woman, I’m never in a top bunk.;)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.