• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to see, what to do........What to eat.

Gareth Griffith

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago de Compestela in May(2016)
I have been reading Tim Moore's book "Spanish Steps, travels with my donkey" for the second time. It is a great book and it was the one that started my interest in the Camino de Santiago. I seriously recommend it as a good read and informative in so many ways. Your library might be able to lend it you for free.
He recommends that you must try the "pulpo" in Galicia. Reading another thread Anenome recommends
"eat cocido maragato in Astorga" as one of the things that you should do whilst on the Camino.
My thought is (and bear in mind I'm trying to keep my weight down), what is there on the menu that I should at least have a try at? There must be some real delights that are specialities of the regions that we are traversing that should be tried at least once.
What beers stand out as being worth trying twice?
It is my first camino and I want to make the most of it given that it could also be my last........

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Try everything! If you can't read the menu, point to something. So far, the only thing I haven't been able to get down are pig's ears!
There are stalls in our local market that sell pigs ears as a dog treat. I can understand your reluctance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There must be some real delights that are specialities of the regions that we are traversing that should be tried at least once.

The list would be really long so I'm going to quote just some of them (i.e.: the following list is far for complete):

In Navarra:
  • Pochas
  • Chistorra
  • Chorizo pamplonés
  • Espárragos
  • Pimientos del Piquillo rellenos
In La Rioja:
  • Patatas a la riojana
  • Bacalao a la riojana
In Burgos:
  • Morcilla
  • Olla Podrida
  • Lechazo
  • Queso de Burgos
In León:
  • Cecina
  • Callos
  • Sopa de truchas
In Astorga, mantecadas for breakfast.

In El Bierzo, Botillo.

Once in Galicia:
  • Pulpo a la gallega (aka polbo a feira)
  • Caldo gallego
  • Lacón con grelos
  • Pote gallego
  • In Arzúa, don't miss the local cheese.
  • And, of course, Tarta de Santiago

I loved Tim Moore's book; my husband gave it to me as a deterrent when I first said I wanted to walk.... but I think I read it about 6 times :D

I was keen to experience most things whilst walking but sadly discovered in Navarette that I am really rather allegic to squid ink :eek:

Eat everything! You will walk it off. My favorites were the cheese, chorizo and the bread. I even had a can of Spains version of deviled ham in a can and it was awesome. Of course I may have been really hungry that day. I never had a bad meal to be honest. In the morning grab one of the packaged chocolate donuts and coffee, perfect.
My favorite of all time were any type of croquetas. I would have them at every meal if possible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have been reading Tim Moore's book "Spanish Steps, travels with my donkey" for the second time. It is a great book and it was the one that started my interest in the Camino de Santiago. I seriously recommend it as a good read and informative in so many ways. Your library might be able to lend it you for free.
He recommends that you must try the "pulpo" in Galicia. Reading another thread Anenome recommends
"eat cocido maragato in Astorga" as one of the things that you should do whilst on the Camino.
My thought is (and bear in mind I'm trying to keep my weight down), what is there on the menu that I should at least have a try at? There must be some real delights that are specialities of the regions that we are traversing that should be tried at least once.
What beers stand out as being worth trying twice?
It is my first camino and I want to make the most of it given that it could also be my last........
I am sort of a food junkie, in the good way. The Spanish hams are fantastic as is the cheese and the sausage/salumi etc. Plan to shop at meatshops and small grocers, you will find absolutely stunning things. Drink the local wine and beer and cider. Just go with it. We used to ask what is the best restaurant in town. You will find confit and foie gras both reasonably priced at better restaurants along with beautiful veal and beef and pork. There is fresh trout along most of the way and some of it you would swear they just went out back and caught it for you. Figs grow along the trail and are yours for the picking as are blackberries. The local markets are really cool if you plan time to stop and shop. We used to purchase things for lunch. Bread (fantastic) cheeses, meats fruit etc. The eggs are wonderful also. We would boil them and have them for a quick breakfast or snack on the trail You will find great croissants and rolls and coffee too. Don't sweat any of it. Fine dining is affordable if you have extra money, but if you don't you will do wonderfully from the markets and shops and the menu del dia. Enjoy. I can let you know the name of some of the nicer restaurants we found along the way if you would like

I am sort of a food junkie, in the good way. The Spanish hams are fantastic as is the cheese and the sausage/salumi etc. Plan to shop at meatshops and small grocers, you will find absolutely stunning things. Drink the local wine and beer and cider. Just go with it. We used to ask what is the best restaurant in town. You will find confit and foie gras both reasonably priced at better restaurants along with beautiful veal and beef and pork. There is fresh trout along most of the way and some of it you would swear they just went out back and caught it for you. Figs grow along the trail and are yours for the picking as are blackberries. The local markets are really cool if you plan time to stop and shop. We used to purchase things for lunch. Bread (fantastic) cheeses, meats fruit etc. The eggs are wonderful also. We would boil them and have them for a quick breakfast or snack on the trail You will find great croissants and rolls and coffee too. Don't sweat any of it. Fine dining is affordable if you have extra money, but if you don't you will do wonderfully from the markets and shops and the menu del dia. Enjoy. I can let you know the name of some of the nicer restaurants we found along the way if you would like
Hi Jim, can you post some of the nicer restaurants from Roncesvalles to Burgos?

Cocido maragato in Astorga? Bring a friend who is also very very hungry!
Many dishes in Spain are seasonally orientated, try padrón peppers small green ones roasted with olive oil and sea salt 98% sweet but one in the bunch might surprize you, snails are common in Spring they will pop up in salads and soups, seafood and especially shellfish in SdC!!!! don't pay restaurant prices, go to the market in Santiago pick whichever sea creature you want and the Abastos restaurant there will cook anything for 4 Euro. Albariño white wine is the very best and costs accordingly do try it once then drink Godello white wine after trying the Albariño. Beer? Estrella Galicia ( A Coruña) or Damm (Barcelona) both easily found.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The list would be really long so I'm going to quote just some of them (i.e.: the following list is far for complete):

In Navarra:
  • Pochas
  • Chistorra
  • Chorizo pamplonés
  • Espárragos
  • Pimientos del Piquillo rellenos
In La Rioja:
  • Patatas a la riojana
  • Bacalao a la riojana
In Burgos:
  • Morcilla
  • Olla Podrida
  • Lechazo
  • Queso de Burgos
In León:
  • Cecina
  • Callos
  • Sopa de truchas
In Astorga, mantecadas for breakfast.

In El Bierzo, Botillo.

Once in Galicia:
  • Pulpo a la gallega (aka polbo a feira)
  • Caldo gallego
  • Lacón con grelos
  • Pote gallego
  • In Arzúa, don't miss the local cheese.
  • And, of course, Tarta de Santiago
Thanks for that. I've got a lot to go at in this list alone!

I
Cocido maragato in Astorga? Bring a friend who is also very very hungry!
Many dishes in Spain are seasonally orientated, try padrón peppers small green ones roasted with olive oil and sea salt 98% sweet but one in the bunch might surprize you, snails are common in Spring they will pop up in salads and soups, seafood and especially shellfish in SdC!!!! don't pay restaurant prices, go to the market in Santiago pick whichever sea creature you want and the Abastos restaurant there will cook anything for 4 Euro. Albariño white wine is the very best and costs accordingly do try it once then drink Godello white wine after trying the Albariño. Beer? Estrella Galicia ( A Coruña) or Damm (Barcelona) both easily found.
I shall be making a bee-line for the Abastos restaurant with a fish tucked under my arm! I've looked up "cocido margato" and now understand the need to find a friend!

Eat everything! You will walk it off. My favorites were the cheese, chorizo and the bread. I even had a can of Spains version of deviled ham in a can and it was awesome. Of course I may have been really hungry that day. I never had a bad meal to be honest. In the morning grab one of the packaged chocolate donuts and coffee, perfect.
My favorite of all time were any type of croquetas. I would have them at every meal if possible.

Am I the only one that managed to gain 5lbs while walking SJPP to Finsterra?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My last camino I rode a mountain bike. Those hills are killer. I'm walking in April, so maybe I'll gain. I did spend a few days in Santiago where I'm sure I put on a couple of pounds.

If you go to the "Miscellaneous Topics" section on the forum you will see there is a whole area devoted to "Food on the Camino". Worth exploring.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back