• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to wear in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela

francesh17

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2015
Hi all,
I am 16 and walking a portion of the Camino with my confirmation group. I was wondering what is appropriate to wear in the Cathedral? Do you need to have shoulders covered and a long skirt? Or is it ok to wear shorts?
Thanks,
Frances

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
thanks. Ill bring a skirt.

If you have anyway long trousers with you they are fine also. Some people also send ahead a set of "town clothes" to Santiago, this way you avoid carrying them the whole way and are well dressed after the Camino. Buen Camino! SY

If you want to take a skirt, you could take a silk one--it would be really light and easy to roll up to carry, and would be quick to dry if you chose to wear it during your Camino walk. Or, you could wait until you got to Santiago and buy a skirt. Or a big scarf to wear as a sarong skirt. There are lots of places to shop in Santiago.
I think it is awesome that you are 16 and going to walk the Camino! (And that you show a great deal of maturity in being concerned about what to wear in the Cathedral.) You are going to have an amazing time, Frances! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How incredibly wonderful that you'll be doing this!
Who knows how your journey will be (the Camino has both joys and challenges...) but you'll never forget it!
If you can, Syates's idea is good. I did that and it was great to have town clothes without having to carry them 800Kms. Ivar has a luggage storage service...or as another has suggested: shop...SdC would be a fun place to do that.
Besides being more respectful, it feels very nice to go to the mass dressed in clothes that haven't been on the road for too long--and it's a kindness to others. ;)
However you go...buen Camino!

Yes, I did this--sent clothing ahead to Ivar's Office And Storage Service (;) :D) last year when I got to Lisbon. It was a real treat to wear something familiar yet 'new' (a new choice over the two shirts and two pair of trousers I'd been wearing for the 4 weeks of walking)! It's a great service and a good fair price.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,
I am 16 and walking a portion of the Camino with my confirmation group. I was wondering what is appropriate to wear in the Cathedral? Do you need to have shoulders covered and a long skirt? Or is it ok to wear shorts?
Thanks,
Frances
appropriate would be clothing that covers shoulders (i.e. no tank tops, not any mega-tight clothing aka gym-outfits/legings, etc) and ideally be appropriate in other respects as well. (clean, non-torn, etc). If you don't have long pants/skirt/dress ... you might have a shawl that could be multi-purposed and be worn as a 'skirt'. Doesn't need to be floor length or such ... just an attire that reflects respect to a place/abode of worship and prayer.... be it a temple, a mosque or a church. -- it's a cathedral - it's not a museum nor a theatre...
thank you for asking and inquiring.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Thanks,
Frances
Thank you for asking this question. Wise girl!
Several members have given you the guidelines. Buen Camino and enjoy this fabulous experience!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can I give a slightly different view? When we arrived at the Cathedral last week for our first ever pilgrim mass I loved the fact that so many people there had clearly, as we had, walked straight into the city from their camino and hardly stopped to dust the sand from their feet, so to speak. There were shorts, worn out trainers, hiking boots, scruffy Tshirts, bare shoulders, unwashed hair - and none of it felt in the least disrespectful. Exactly the opposite to me - the Cathedral is a place of pilgrimage, and the dusty, unwashed pilgrims, I felt, were welcomed with open arms to their spiritual 'home'.

It would be different at a 'normal' mass on a Sunday morning, but for me, to be in communion with fellow pilgrims at a mass in which we were specifically welcomed and blessed, was a powerful and incredibly moving experience and it would have felt different if I had first gone to my accommodation/washed/changed (indeed it did feel different when I went back to the pilgrim mass the following day, looking much tidier but already starting to feel less like a pilgrim).

Far more disrespect was shown, I felt, by those (peregrinos and, far more, tourists) who insisted on taking photos on their mobile phones throughout the mass. And most of all as we went up for the Eucharist - including one chap who was spoken to by the security man and still carried on videoing the whole service

I suspect neither God nor St James will mind what you are wearing @francesh17 - they will just welcome you as a committed peregrino with a good heart. Buen camino!

taking photos on their mobile phones

I smiled in delight when I saw one of the young priests, in his prime position near the altar, trying to discreetly take a photo, with his mobile phone, of the botofumeiro just before it shot up in the air.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back