• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to wear on the CF starting October 29th

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
HI Pilgrims,
I will be doing my first semi Winter Camino. A little background to begin with. I have done 4 caminos so I am not a rookie, but always walked late Sept. - October caminos. So on this date I am. I have bought my coat, have a good rain poncho, have all the gloves, socks hats etc. I received a great email from Davebugg about shoes that of course was as detailed as you could ever want BUT..... here is my story.
I live in Puerto Vallarta so training has to be done in a gym only. It is way too hot and humid to do much of anything outside except for about an hour around sunrise. There is NO place to buy anything here for me. I buy all my shoes in the United States because of my size 14US battleship feet.
I will be meeting friends in Ithaca, NY in July for our annual college reunion. This will be our 43th meeting of old friends so you get the idea of my age. (65) There is an excellent outdoor store there with a pretty good selection but this will be my shot to buy gear.
What I need is the following and any suggestions would be great. I have limited time and limited selections so please keep this in mind so hopefully you suggest the most popular gear.
I have my sleeping bag and I carry a very small throw pillow so that is taking up alot of space and I want to keep the weight down as much as possible.
Layering- What to get? I got a great, very light and warm coat from REI. So what else? Who knows what the weather will be. But any suggestions. I know a merino wool long sleeve. I will take two of my quick dry shirts that I always take. I figure I can wear the dry one at night with my coat. Anything else.
Pants? I have my quick dry pants that zip off that I always take before. If it is not too hot could I bring one? I also have Under Armor pants but they are the lowest insulation level. Great for cold winter fall mornings and nights. Should I get a heavier one?
Boots - I always have worn Brooks Cascadia trail runners that have been great for me. I have had about 5 small blisters in over 4,000K of walking so they work so well for me. I wear a 13W-14 regular depending on the fit of my shoes, I have walked in a 14W and 15W and I think the 15 worked better for me. I assume I need boots.UGGGGG! I want as light and as soft a boot as possible. I am not sure if I need a waterproof boot. Would prefer not to as so many have said the waterproof boot causes them more blisters. I would prefer a low cut boot or hiking shoe thats good for winter but I assume most of you will say at least an ankle length boot. Also remember, I will not have a large window for breaking them in because of where I live.
PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! I want to keep my pack as light as possible. What do you recommend and remember I need recommendations that a good outdoor store would have. (I know you can never be sure)!!
One last thing, I am a budget pilgrim. On a fixed income. I know alot of this isn't cheap but I sure DO NOT want to spend $250 dollars for pants or boots.
Thank you all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). Iā€™m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.