• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to wear - start next week from SJPDP

Steve Goods

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
How is the weather right now, from SJPDP and onwards?
I plan to walk for 14 days.
How should I dress in the mornings, and how much clothes do you wear during daytime?
Are people having shorts and tshirts?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My walking companion wears shorts year round on the Camino, even in cold weather. But he has Scandinavian DNA.

I tend to get cold.

Best plan is to layer, imo, this time of year. You don't need any heavy jacket, but something for rain and a lightweight fleece. I'd also take a fleece hat this time of year.

In the mornings in October, I usually wear a teeshirt, a light fleece, and a windbreaker.
As I walk I take off layers and usually within 10-15 minutes, unless is very cold, I'm in the teeshirt.

I wear a Macabi skirt on the trail so can't help you there, though men DO wear macabis! ;)

I'm a little more than halfway. This morning in Leon at 8am pharmacy signs were reading 7 or 8C. Likely to be chillier higher up in places like Cebreiro. Didn't check this afternoon but probably about 24C. Certainly warm for a Scot. Daytime temperatures are likely to be dropping but so are night time temps. Be ready for both cold and heat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Be ready for both cold and heat.

Layers....It can be cold in the mountains (I had 4 deg after Rabanal in August) and quite warm during the day.... You need a fleece/light jacket
and something for your head (a buff or a hoodie?) when it's cold and the wind blows. Also something waterproof.
My walking friend wears shorts in all weathers - he's a Scot :rolleyes::D, I wear a skirt like anniesantiago but with merino leggings in winter.

Buen camino:)

I m starting on the 16th from SJPP, my clothes consist in
1x convertible pant/short
2x fleeces (1 light and 1 warm patagonia R2),
1x rain jacket (North face HiVent 2.5L)
3x nike dri fit running T's
Gloves, cap, scarf
1x pair of trail running sneakers

Last edited:
The sweet spot is the point where you are just about uncomfortable.

Put on or take off clothes as necessary.

I'd recommend long sleeve shirts instead of t shirts. You can roll down the sleeves and turn up the collar to protect against sun.

Long pants will be more comfortable than shorts. Some people walk in blue jeans.

You will generate a lot of heat whilst walking with a pack. You will likely only want a light weight jacket on the cooler mornings.

Rain gear is useful to cut wind.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How should I dress in the mornings, and how much clothes do you wear during daytime?

I walked last year from 1 Oct through 9 Nov or so. Some mornings were really cold--so layers it was. I had merino wool long underwear (light merino), and long synthetic hiking pants, along with a raincoat which insulated me in when it was cold. I also had merino wool gloves, and a buff I could wear over my nose and mouth--along with a hat.

When I got hot, I'd just take stuff off.

Some days were SO hot though--I got sunburned, sweaty, thirsty....layer and have a sunhat, and sunscreen. I often changed socks mid day to get into dry socks.....

Buen Camino!

Some people walk in blue jeans.
people might do this (and did in the movie :eek:) but I think jeans are a bad idea for many reasons: seams will rub hot spots, they are heavy and not water repellent, and they definitely do not dry quickly after you wash them. I am not a fan of jeans on the camino.
if it is going to rain on you, I am a fan of something to keep the rain off. for me this was gortex super light jacket/pants and a cover for my pack, for others it is a poncho (i don't trust those in the wind, and I tend to be cold so like gortex). and a ball cap to wear under the jacket hood because the hood itself will do a terrible job of keeping rain off of your face. runner's caps are light weight and dry fast.
because I already had them, I took short sleeved runner's t shirts and compression sleeves, so I could adjust my upper body warmth.
buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We are currently in Moratinos. The weather the last few days has been chilly mornings and warm to hot afternoons. I love hiking in my merino wool t shirts and use Smartwool arm warmers in the morning or if it gets windy. Easy to take off and stow without having to take off your pack. Make sure you have a hat and sunscreen and reapply that sunscreen often.
Buen Camino!
Karen

Today at 07 when the walk begins, in St Jean PDP, its 10C outside. (8th of Oct 2016)
Forecast is;
11 AM 13C
14-17 PM 16C
20 PM 10C

I use the app Yr.no for weather reports, and on iPad I can watch local webcams (not on smaller screens as iPhone)
Other small villages en route got the same cool temperatures. I guess I drop short sleves and wearing shorts this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
An update on temperatures. Walking into Rabanal at about 0930 today there were small patches of ground frost. For my first hour walking from El Ganso I wore a pair of thick socks as mittens. Hadn't packed gloves. Chilly!

What I can offer is this- whatever you plan to wear test its capacity to dry quickly before you leave. In my experience arriving somewhere and A. washing what I've been wearing that day it may not fully dry by the next day it depends shafting you arrive and get your stuff on the line B. Second drying of what was washed the previous day and is still damp but I carried it in my pack. I was walking in 20-30' temperatures and often had to hang damp washing on my pack to dry....

I m starting on the 16th from SJPP, my clothes consist in
1x convertible pant/short
2x fleeces (1 light and 1 warm patagonia R2),
1x rain jacket (North face HiVent 2.5L)
3x nike dri fit running T's
Gloves, cap, scarf
1x pair of trail running sneakers
I'm curious what will you wear when your pant/shorts are on the washing line?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is common practice to get dressed up the nines with all the gear to keep you warm and dry first thing in the morning and as it gets warmer keep stopping to take stuff off and stuff it in your back pack. At this time of year a dinner jacket is not required.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back