• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to wear to fly in?

Jules67

Starting my Camino April 2017
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP in April 2017
Hi all

I've just been going through in detail my packed gear. Then thought... I need clothes to fly out in... So
Do I wear one of the trousers, t-shirt, socks, underwear from my packed list? I'll have in total.
Tshirts.. 1 long sleeve, 1 short sleeve, 1 vest type
2 Walking trousers
3 underpants
2 sports bras
3 pairs of socks
2 pairs of sock liners
1 shorts
1 leggings (to sleep/lounge in)

And what about footwear? Do I wear my walking boots to fly out in? Other than that I'll have my walking sandles and flip flops which I don't really want to wear as its still cold and wet..
I could wear old trainers and leave them in the first hostel I suppose but that still means I'll be carrying boots, sandles and flip flops in my backpack. What do people usually do to travel in.. ? Hopefully this is my final dilemma as I've only 2 weeks to go now...sooo excited.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just wear what you plan on walking in. Why wouldn't you?
Not like it's like you see on old movies anymore. Where people dressed up to travel by airliner. I always wondered about that. Get dressed up to sit cramped in a pressurized aluminum tube zipping through the sky, 500 knots at 30,000 feet?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just wear my walking clothes, which for me is my Macabi skirt and a top.
I usually layer tops and put some leggings on because I generally get cold on the flight.
I wear my trail runners that I wear walking. That's the only pair of shoes I take.
EXACTLY the same for me Annie, learned it from you. EXCEPT old ratty under wear which I throw away when I get there.

EXACTLY the same for me Annie, learned it from you. EXCEPT old ratty under wear which I throw away when I get there.
I wear an old tshirt, old socks and old undies for my two travel days, then throw them away. Saves from having to think about doing laundry while dealing with jet lag, etc.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all

I've just been going through in detail my packed gear. Then thought... I need clothes to fly out in... So
Do I wear one of the trousers, t-shirt, socks, underwear from my packed list? I'll have in total.
2 Walking trousers
3 underpants
2 sports bras
3 pairs of socks
2 pairs of sock liners
1 shorts

whatever you choose to wear, let it be comfortable, and choose something from your "walking wardrobe". And my reason for this is: If you wear something "special" that you would not be using on your pilgrimage you will either have to either carry along with you, mail to Santiago, or otherwise dispose of it. As for footwear, I will be wearing whatever I will be walking in, and for the same reasons. It makes no sense, particularly when we are all concerned about keeping the weight down, to carry more than we will be using on the trip.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would suggest you wear the lighter of your shoes on the plane- air travel can certainly lead to a bit of swollen feet or legs and having something breathable and expandable is most helpful
I also wore one of my pack clothing sets- choosing the one the one that was most comfortable with fleece to protect against cold air line air

Wear what you will walk on , a side trick ,
When I travel , I wear the oldest socks and underwear I got and throw them in some bin after the fly in, that's taking the hassle of washing or carrying stuff around
if you take two or three days to get there , it leave you unencumbered with the good stuff clean and the old one has been helping you on the way

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I read this with interest, however my dilemma is that I was generously gifted with business class tickets for my flight(s) from Australia. I am now trying to hunt down a merino dress that will serve many purposes: the flight, the business class lounge, a couple of days of sightseeing in Paris (never been before) and then hoping to use it in the evenings after walking or even as a nightie. Any suggestions welcomed!

I read this with interest, however my dilemma is that I was generously gifted with business class tickets for my flight(s) from Australia. I am now trying to hunt down a merino dress that will serve many purposes: the flight, the business class lounge, a couple of days of sightseeing in Paris (never been before) and then hoping to use it in the evenings after walking or even as a nightie. Any suggestions welcomed!
No need to change your wardrobe for the business class lounge, nor for Paris. Both are used to poorly dressed tourists.

I wouldn't worry about "dressing up" for business class. Though a merino dress is a wonderful thing! That's all I wore for my Camino last year. But mine are homemade, so I can't recommend anything.
Have you thought about bringing a suitcase that you check in with your post Camino clothing. You can have it sent to Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My flights with all the travel will be going on for 24 hours so i want to be comfy, im just wearing a light pair of walking pants, my walking shoes and a T-shirt that i plan to sleep in.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How about http://www.kathmandu.com.au/womens/clothing/dresses-and-skirts/yatra-womens-dress.html

I don't have it but it looks nice!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Janine V my biggest problem in Paris is always my shoes. It is Ok during the day, but hiking shoes/hiking sandals just don't cut it when you want to go out to the Lido.

I just wear whatever I'm going to hike in
including my hiking shoes as they are easier to wear than pack. I do take them off for a while during the flight. Why bring anything extra?

No one cares what you wear in any part of the plane as most people travel quite comfortably and casually these days.

Besides on the way to the Camino you are still neat and clean. ;)

Two approaches:

1 - Buy a really good suit with pointy shiny shoes and a tie. Be the sharpest dressed person on the plane.

2 - Wear the nastiest dirty clothes you have so that people won't want to sit near you. Now you have space for carry-on.

Either way ... toss it in the bin when you get started walking.

Or do what most of us do: wear our camino clothes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks all for your advice. Yes Kanga, the shoes, still hoping to find some that can suit both (maybe wishful thinking) . Clothes to come back in - that gives me a good excuse to go shopping at the end. I do know that I am overthinking it all :)

Thanks all for your advice. Yes Kanga, the shoes, still hoping to find some that can suit both (maybe wishful thinking) . Clothes to come back in - that gives me a good excuse to go shopping at the end. I do know that I am overthinking it all :)

Well if the Camino holds true, your old clothes may not fit as well as they once did.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
how can people bear to part with family heirlooms such as these? Surely there must be some great emotional or historic value therein. Perhaps a donation to a museum might be in order?
All jokes aside, it was with reverence when @Kanga removed these from the glass case laid out on black velvet in her bedroom to show me, with due respect to their age and exemplary service. They are the VC of Bonds Cottontails.

What I love most is the flight home when you generally look and smell like homeless bum and you are probably flying with people from your hometown who you may actually see again.
how can people bear to part with family heirlooms such as these? Surely there must be some great emotional or historic value therein. Perhaps a donation to a museum might be in order?
That smell! That wonderful pilgrim odor that cloaks us in a post walk halo. We are so plain and boring after a few weeks home when everything is washed and folded and stored. Biarritzdon, just explain it is an expensive French cologne you are trying out, "Eu du Blister".
If we start a Museum for Historic Undergarments, let's let this guy know. He sold coffee at a little outdoor stand and had a box out front that held artifacts.11822360_1090514434293924_1075521674695322016_n.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks all

I'm going as I intend to stay.. Lightly packed. So I'm wearing walking boots and walking clothes. You see, I'm not bothered what I look like as I'll be carrying my backpack through the airports. I was more concerned about the extra set of clothes and weight. After 2 short flights, I'll be staying in Biarritz hotel by the airport as I land late in the evening. Then train the next morning to JSPDP where I'll spend the day and stay the night before I actually start my walking. This means I've now worn 1 of my 2 sets of clothing for 2 days...

in 2015, I flew Business Class from Australia..........in walking clothes.
Yep........did a couple of days of sightseeing in Paris ........in walking clothes.

In fact last year my wife and I flew business class both ways and did 3 weeks post Camino sightseeing across Europe.........in walking clothes.

Don't 'think too much' ;)

People don't dress up to fly these days. (Even in First Class) I've worn hiking clothes there too. Whilst travelling on points/air miles, I should add! :eek:

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This thread reminds me of my mom and the time she bought me a thick wool skirt and a stiff button down short to fly to Mexico over Xma break to see my grandparents. Why or why?! Every time I'm in an airport and look at how people are dressed I think of her and those clothes.

What bugs me on Camino flights is wearing my walking shoes because they are heavy, and let's face it, ugly. But my feet swell, so wearning my sandals instead won't do it, I need to keep my feet braced in.

And what about these undies: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/17/queen-elizabeth-iis-underwear-for-sale-on-ebay/

That smell! That wonderful pilgrim odor that cloaks us in a post walk halo. We are so plain and boring after a few weeks home when everything is washed and folded and stored. Biarritzdon, just explain it is an expensive French cologne you are trying out, "Eu du Blister".
If we start a Museum for Historic Undergarments, let's let this guy know. He sold coffee at a little outdoor stand and had a box out front that held artifacts.View attachment 32673

Ah, but we are returning pilgrims now: And thus we can call it "Odour of Sanctity". :)

It makes sense to fly over in your walking clothes and shoes as once you land you will be trekking through the airport, then to the necessary train and / or bus stations to reach your starting destination, plus, you will be carrying your pack. It can be a long day and being comfortable will be important. When you get to Santiago, you can treat yourself to some fresh new clothes to wear home. I wore my walking clothes, but did need new shoes as my trail runners had worn out by the time I got to Santiago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When I fly to the camino I usually dress up with most of my clothes from the backpack, several layers, even rainjacket, to get my bp as small as possible to be able to take it as handluggage. Walkingshoes of course, no problem to take them off during the flight. It does not bother me whether other people rate my clothes as long as I am clean and don't smell, business class or not.

I wore a set of hiking clothes, including my boots, and carried on my backpack with no problem. I didn't throw anything out, even at the end. In fact, I happen to have on my hiking clothes and boots right now, having had a lovely hike to a waterfall this morning. Brisk temperatures (icicles in the shade!) but bright sun. Perhaps that's why I'm on the forum right now.... I miss the Camino......

What about boots?

I always wear my 'best' walking clothes and my boots on the airplane.
My packing list is similar to yours - except 2 short-sleeved or 2 long-sleeved merino wool shirts + 1 opposite-sleeved shirt, depending on the season. If I have space in my pack, I add a non-merino wool t-shirt for after-walking 'events.'

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wear my walking clothes almost every else, so why not on the airplane?
...because when I am walking and perhaps only sitting intermittently I can cope with a waisted garment...shorts which keeps them up. In a seated position in an aeroplane for 24+ hours from Australia I prefer to be waistless ( as opposed to wasted, though that or Valium is always an option) so am trying to plan accordingly. I am wondering whether my 'clown pants' ( Peter Alexander REALLY lightweight lurid striped PJ bottoms) would be acceptable? I would prefer to wear my old comfy nightie but I think that is going a bit far!

Janine, what worked well for me was to take an old, soft, knee-length black stretch-knit skirt that I wore with black tights and one of my quick-dry hiking shirts. I could wear it after-hikes in towns also. I'd taken lightweight black slipper-like shoes for after-hike shoes. Add a pretty scarf, et voila.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey
If we start a Museum for Historic Undergarments, let's let this guy know. He sold coffee at a little outdoor stand and had a box out front that held artifacts.View attachment 32673
Hey, I put an empty beer can into that box as I was not looking for a wife. Ended up walking to the End of the Earth with a German woman who may become my wife this summer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey

Hey, I put an empty beer can into that box as I was not looking for a wife. Ended up walking to the End of the Earth with a German woman who may become my wife this summer.

You only "think" that you were not looking for a wife. The Camino has its own magic. :)

Wishing you much happiness.

To travel to Spain wearing my Macabi Skirt, a throw away pair of undies, a throw away shirt, a throw away pair of cotton socks, my non-boot shoes (Keen CNX Clearwater), and my 1/4 zip pullover. On the way back I wear my Macabi Skirt, my Clearwaters and the hiking equivalent for rest of the kit.

€46,-
Hey

Note to self: Empty beer cans are trouble, always use full beer cans when tempting magic.

My caminos start with the first step out of my front door, so I am always dressed the way I will be for the next month. Walking gear must be about THE most comfortable travel clothing in any case? Just kick off your boots on the aeroplane...Buy any city clothes for a city break at the end of your trip. My boots are always a disgrace as I gave up trying to keep them clean and tidy about 100km into my first camino 2015.

My caminos start with the first step out of my front door, so I am always dressed the way I will be for the next month. Walking gear must be about THE most comfortable travel clothing in any case? Just kick off your boots on the aeroplane...Buy any city clothes for a city break at the end of your trip. My boots are always a disgrace as I gave up trying to keep them clean and tidy about 100km into my first camino 2015.

There is a lot to be said about that tradition in Finnesterre about burning your trekking clothes at the end of the journey (tho, I understand that is no longer allowed, because people are careless I think a convenient trash can will do) Then a dip in the sea, emerging refreshed and reborn and put on new clothes (hopefully purchased before hand) and then return to the mundane world.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
...because when I am walking and perhaps only sitting intermittently I can cope with a waisted garment...shorts which keeps them up. In a seated position in an aeroplane for 24+ hours from Australia I prefer to be waistless ( as opposed to wasted, though that or Valium is always an option) so am trying to plan accordingly. I am wondering whether my 'clown pants' ( Peter Alexander REALLY lightweight lurid striped PJ bottoms) would be acceptable? I would prefer to wear my old comfy nightie but I think that is going a bit far!

Wasted is always an option, however, should you choose to start singing during the flight, and are not surrounded by music lovers (or maybe if you are) you could be thrown off the plane and that would be counter productive.

The clown pants could come in handy by keeping your aged knickers (saved especially for the flight) more or less in place should the elastic give way on a trip to the loo.

If you are traveling solely for the Camino, I recommend traveling in one complete daily Camino outfit. This INCLUDES your hiking boots and two pair of socks, liner and outer (if that is your sock solution). If you get cold on an overnight flight, use the light fleece you are bringing for the Camino.

This reduces the volume in your carry-on or checked luggage. Also, the boots are likely the heaviest pair of footware you have. So that helps with meeting checked weight limits.

For a small, carry on bag, I always use as my "day bag," a siliconized nylon 16-liter Sea to Summit "Sling Bag." You can find them on Amazon. it compresses to the size of a large kiwi fruit in it's own clip on sack. It weighs nearly nothing....really!

When opened, it has a zip-top closure to deter casual thievery, is waterproof, and holds a lot of stuff. The permanently-mounted strap is long enough to go cross chest (for safety and security). The Sling Bag comes in about 5-6 colors to suit your personal style.

For flying to and from, this is where all my personal stuff, medications, small electronics and necessary papers go. It facilitates security screening if you empty all your cargo pockets FIRST into the sack.

Once arrived, the back is compressed and attached to my rucksack shoulder harness, the contents go into my cargo pockets and the rucksack.

Along the Camino, this easily available bag is used to do shopping, touring, as a laundry bag, and as a pillow at night (when stuffed with clothes). It also works as a shower bag to hold all my valuables in an albergue shower stall situation. If there is no hook, it can sit on the floor as easily.

Once at Santiago or at a multi-day stop en-route, this becomes my day-bag for touring, shopping, etc.

I hope this helps.

If we start a Museum for Historic Undergarments, let's let this guy know. He sold coffee at a little outdoor stand and had a box out front that held artifacts.View attachment 32673.....["Looking for a husband? Leave your underwear here ......."]
Off topic, I know, but one of my coffee haunts has a sign on the wall saying, "Anyone looking for a husband has obviously never had one."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wasted is always an option, however, should you choose to start singing during the flight, and are not surrounded by music lovers (or maybe if you are) you could be thrown off the plane and that would be counter productive.

The clown pants could come in handy by keeping your aged knickers (saved especially for the flight) more or less in place should the elastic give way on a trip to the loo.
BTW it was Kanga with the barely help together (pun intended) elastic free knickers! I favour carefully selected and tested brand new 'm'undies'!

BTW it was Kanga with the barely help together (pun intended) elastic free knickers! I favour carefully selected and tested brand new 'm'undies'!
Ah, I am so confused at times. I do recall the advice given me by a marathon runner: Never embark on aNY form of race in with old underwear or shoelaces.

If you are traveling solely for the Camino, I recommend traveling in one complete daily Camino outfit. This INCLUDES your hiking boots and two pair of socks, liner and outer (if that is your sock solution). If you get cold on an overnight flight, use the light fleece you are bringing for the Camino.

This reduces the volume in your carry-on or checked luggage. Also, the boots are likely the heaviest pair of footware you have. So that helps with meeting checked weight limits.

For a small, carry on bag, I always use as my "day bag," a siliconized nylon 16-liter Sea to Summit "Sling Bag." You can find them on Amazon. it compresses to the size of a large kiwi fruit in it's own clip on sack. It weighs nearly nothing....really!

When opened, it has a zip-top closure to deter casual thievery, is waterproof, and holds a lot of stuff. The permanently-mounted strap is long enough to go cross chest (for safety and security). The Sling Bag comes in about 5-6 colors to suit your personal style.

For flying to and from, this is where all my personal stuff, medications, small electronics and necessary papers go. It facilitates security screening if you empty all your cargo pockets FIRST into the sack.

Once arrived, the back is compressed and attached to my rucksack shoulder harness, the contents go into my cargo pockets and the rucksack.

Along the Camino, this easily available bag is used to do shopping, touring, as a laundry bag, and as a pillow at night (when stuffed with clothes). It also works as a shower bag to hold all my valuables in an albergue shower stall situation. If there is no hook, it can sit on the floor as easily.

Once at Santiago or at a multi-day stop en-route, this becomes my day-bag for touring, shopping, etc.

I hope this helps.
Thank you. You helped me loads. I've just ordered a day bag too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all

2 Walking trousers
3 underpants
2 sports bras
3 pairs of socks
2 pairs of sock liners
1 shorts

And what about footwear? Do I wear my walking boots to fly out in? Other than that I'll have my walking sandles and flip flops which I don't really want to wear as its still cold and wet..
I could wear old trainers and leave them in the first hostel I suppose but that still means I'll be carrying boots, sandles and flip flops in my backpack. What do people usually do to travel in.. ? Hopefully this is my final dilemma as I've only 2 weeks to go now...sooo excited.
I wore old sweats and a t shirt that I left at the first hostel. I wanted to leave my backpack " intact". I wore my hiking shoes be they were the heaviest. Slept on plane in my socks! This worked great for me. Buen Camino!

Hi all

2 Walking trousers
3 underpants
2 sports bras
3 pairs of socks
2 pairs of sock liners
1 shorts

Regardless of what anyone else says, I think you're a class act for wanting to look nice on the plane.

I wore old sweats and a t shirt that I left at the first hostel. I wanted to leave my backpack " intact". I wore my hiking shoes be they were the heaviest. Slept on plane in my socks! This worked great for me. Buen Camino!
Thanks Joy. I will wear my boots on flight and like you I'll slip them off. Buen Camino Joy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Regardless of what anyone else says, I think you're a class act for wanting to look nice on the plane.
Well thank you very much Gregory.. I think you a polite, considerate gentleman for thinking I'm a class act...

Hi all

2 Walking trousers
3 underpants
2 sports bras
3 pairs of socks
2 pairs of sock liners
1 shorts

To fly out? Why wings of course! (Sorry, couldnt help myself)

Hi all

2 Walking trousers
3 underpants
2 sports bras
3 pairs of socks
2 pairs of sock liners
1 shorts

I am starting in Burgos on April 2 (did SJPdP to Burgos last year), and just read a suggestion to wear old underwear you can throw out after your first day and save your camino underwear, to avoid having to wash earlier. Otherwise, I wear one of my hiking outfits, with my running shoes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Me too! Let me know when you find the merino dress.

We must be doing about the exact same
I'm sight seeing in Paris over 3 days so I can't wear my Boots into Moulin Rouge
So I'm planning to wear something reasonable
Then Donating to charity the day I leave for Spain

I am starting in Burgos on April 2 (did SJPdP to Burgos last year), and just read a suggestion to wear old underwear you can throw out after your first day and save your camino underwear, to avoid having to wash earlier. Otherwise, I wear one of my hiking outfits, with my running shoes.
Thanks Beth. I am too doing this.. Wearing old underwear to throw away and walking clothes and boots.. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Once upon at time, long ago and far away, before the dark and stormy night, airline travel was a "big event": people dressed up for it and were on their best behaviour too. You could also expect good service and "brown bag" lunches were unthinkable. Now, I don't know which came first: people becoming more "casual" about flying, or the down grading of inflight service. Granted, people have gotten larger (and not just wider) but seats have also gotten smaller and leg room (the airlines will try to tell you they haven't but they lie like sidewalks) has certainly decreased. Flights of extended length are practically an open invitation to deep vein thrombosis.

Looking great on the plane is certainly laudable, but there are times and places were it just isn't practical. Plus, as stated before, you have to find something to do with your "glad rags" when you arrive: some wear their old and tired togs on the flight and discard in the nearest convenient trash bin. There is the option of posting your "inflight gear" to Santiago, (using Ivar's convenient service) and you can pick them up when you arrive, (and possibly wear them home), or just wear the gear you will be walking in. All of them work.

Haha! Apparently United has barred a few young girls from boarding because they were wearing leggings.

Ok, they were "pass flyers", relatives of United employees, and sonce they are flying for free, they have to follow the employee dress code.

Haha! Apparently United has barred a few young girls from boarding because they were wearing leggings.

Ok, they were "pass flyers", relatives of United employees, and sonce they are flying for free, they have to follow the employee dress code.

I read the article, and perhaps it is because I am old and suspicious, I suspect that there is more to this than meets the eye: In the first place, unless they had to wear badges saying "I am a pass flyer" no one would be the wiser. I suspect that they overbooked, and these girls were "bumped" on that rather flimsy excuse for a paying customer.

United STILL breaks guitars.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Me too! Let me know when you find the merino dress.
I'm going to check out the Kathmandu Yatra dress that Tigger suggested and also look at an Icebreaker Allure dress as I think they will both fit the bill. Highlandshiker's suggestion of adding a pretty scarf is a really good one as well. All being said, my Camino is not until May 2018, but with the current sales here I figure it's a good time to be looking. I'm enjoying the planning and this forum is such a great source of equipment and clothing ideas.

Janine, I'm one of the old fashioned who still like to feel I've dressed 'nice' for the plane, especially when I travel in Business Class. I do as many have suggested and choose something for my top that I'm no longer wanting but feel dressed up enough in (with boots and walking pants!) that I can donate when I arrive. If I was travelling to Paris before my Camino I'd do the same with bottoms and shoes, for a couple of days also if necessary, that way the backpack stays packed ready to being your Camino. I also do that with socks, undies, bras that I can throw away and start fresh on the Camino without the need to wash in the first few days of travelling. Ice Breaker have a great dress if thats the way you choose to go. Buen Camino.

So many people giving clothes upon landing. I would have very little motivation to wander around the city looking for a place that accepts donations of clothes. I'm impressed.

I especially like to start my Camino with everything clean and fresh in my back. Donating is the way to go. It also helps me clean out my over stocked closet :)

Who do you donate to?
I either give to one of the Albergues or at the front desk of one of the Pensiones or hotels. Never a shortage for someone wanting these....They are not scruffy old clothes but rather neat, close to new clothes that I just don't seem to wear anymore or ever! There is nothing wrong with them and I suspect they are saved for Pilgrims who may need something or shared between the owners etc....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@BillyJane70 the biggest insult I've experienced was when my husband and I were flying to the UK from Sydney a few years ago. He was going for work. He got to fly up the pointy end, with the fully lie-down bed seats and great food, while I was stuck in the sardine can end, eating out of cardboard. However, when we got to Singapore the plane emptied, and I got four full seats in a row down the back. Bliss! My bed was actually more comfortable than his.

I'm so jealous of anyone who gets to fly Business from Australia. What a blessing. Send those of us sitting down the back some leg - stretching good juju, please:p
Yes BillyJane70 - I'm very spoilt. I recently reached a special "0" Birthday and my very special husband surprised me with this a a gift. It is such an indulgence and I plan to make the very most of it, all of course with the pretence that I need to ensure that I am well rested and fed before embarking on my adventure.

Yes BillyJane70 - I'm very spoilt. I recently reached a special "0" Birthday and my very special husband surprised me with this a a gift. It is such an indulgence and I plan to make the very most of it, all of course with the pretence that I need to ensure that I am well rested and fed before embarking on my adventure.
Enjoy every minute of it. Will be wonderful:D And HB for your special "0"

@BillyJane70 the biggest insult I've experienced was when my husband and I were flying to the UK from Sydney a few years ago. He was going for work. He got to fly up the pointy end, with the fully lie-down bed seats and great food, while I was stuck in the sardine can end, eating out of cardboard. However, when we got to Singapore the plane emptied, and I got four full seats in a row down the back. Bliss! My bed was actually more comfortable than his.
@ Kanga, the meek shall inherit 74D, 74E, 74F AND 74G:pBut seriously....in a previous life, I was a long haul flight attendant for Qantas, and was lucky enough to pax all the way in 1A from SYD to LHR. Bliss. Sure I will feel somewhat different disembarking in Paris in September 2017 than I did back in 1993....not to mention the 24 extra years in my backpack:rolleyes:

My first really long haul flight was in 1959 (yes, I'm that old). I was a small child. We flew in a Constellation that did, indeed, have beds - six of them. Where the luggage racks are now, there were bunk beds with curtains, and my mother and I were lucky enough to have two of them.

My first really long haul flight was in 1959 (yes, I'm that old). I was a small child. We flew in a Constellation that did, indeed, have beds - six of them. Where the luggage racks are now, there were bunk beds with curtains, and my mother and I were lucky enough to have two of them.
Now THAT is flying! That must have been amazing.

€46,-
I'm so jealous of anyone who gets to fly Business from Australia. What a blessing. Send those of us sitting down the back some leg - stretching good juju, please:p
Did I ever tell you about the time I flew first class from Sydney to London? Yes, my daughter was with me, a Qantas executive and it cost me AUD$500. Read and weep, a once in a lifetime experience.

€46,-
Hi there
I'm still trying to sort the same issue flying from NZ and starting with two days in Paris and probanly a week or more after. I've got a black merino short dress and leggings for a backup walking/evening/sleeping outfit that would work for travelling however my wonderful (extra large) bright pink and yellow shoes or crocs ...?? Also I'm carrying a backpack. One option I've thought of is wearing neat black trousers and top with light leather boots for the plane and Paris, and sending them on to Santiago to Ivan from Paris or SJPDP...it all gets too complicated...easier to stick to just Camino gear ...

I shall e travelling to StJean in clothes which are near to the end of their life. Apart from my trousers and shoes, everything I'm wearing on the journey will find its way into the bin before I start walking.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.