• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Type of Cell Phone Adapter Do I Need?

Camper Annie

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Jun 29 - Aug 18, 2018. If we get done early, we'll tour Spain by rail
I read an old post about the cell phone adapters to be able to charge my iphone SE, but the last post was a year ago. Most of the links people provided no longer worked. I get confused on what I need. Just an adapter that plugs into the cord that came with my phone? I would like to get one that allows at least two people to share the same outlet. I will also be bringing a small solar charger as a back up. I am really getting excited as it now less than a month before we leave for Paris. Thanks for your help. Ann

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You need a USB port with a Spanish plug (two circular poles). I can find them on eBay or in China stores in Spain. There are models with up to four ports. No voltage adjuster is required since your charging cord and port will take either 110v or 220v.

Leave the solar charger at home. You won't need it, and it will be just one more thing to keep track of!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tomnorth's solution is heavier than mine. He is correct that your adapter / charger should be dual voltage. Look at the fine print on the casing. It should say something like 110 -0 240 VAC, 50 - 60 Hz.

If it does not, or if it says "110-120, 60 Hz," your adapter will FRY if you try to plug it in in Europe.

Here is my lightweight solution, I order them 10-at-a-time here, and carry a spare:

http://www.world-import.com/WMU5.htm

All you really need is the prong-to-pin converter, NOT a power transformer. The charger for your device should accomplish that. These are so cheap that I usually give away my spare one to someone who did not plan ahead.

This is the cheapest you will find these plug adapters ANYWHERE. FYI, the same site also has the reverse item, to convert an EU multi-voltage adapter to the two-flat prongs we use in North America.

Hope this helps.

Some electrical appliances (e.g. some hair dryers) from the US will fry if you plug them into the higher European voltage. However, that is virtually never an issue for modern electronics, which are designed for the full range of voltages. To be certain, check the fine print as @t2andreo said: It should say something like 110-240 V and not 110-120.

You can use your current US charger, but you will need a small adaptor (@t2andreo provides an example) so it can be plugged into a European outlet with round pins. Once you get that adaptor, it's a good idea to fasten it with duct tape or you will likely leave it behind before long.

That is all that you need - the small adaptor to connect your charger to the wall outlet.

If you want to get fancy and have more than one USB port (assuming your US charger has only one), you can buy (in Europe or online) a new charger that is made for use in Europe, which has more than one USB port.

I agree about leaving the solar charger at home. Much simpler is one of the "power banks" that you charge separately and then connect to your phone. The advantage is that the power bank is less valuable than your phone, so you can leave it unattended while it is charging.

Thanks for the help. I ordered the one tomnorth suggested. That way there is room to share. I had an adapter ordered from Indiegogo.com or Kickstarter.com, one of the crowd funding sources. However it will not be ready until after my return to the states. Again thanks for the help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the advice. I would not have guessed as the description does not say an SE. I might get that one also and have two just in case.

Thanks for the advice. I would not have guessed as the description does not say an SE. I might get that one also and have two just in case.
At the risk of oversimplifying the issue and repeating some basic information that you may already know, I'll contribute the following to this discussion. You have to remember that the charging system for any phone or other small electronics consists of two components -- the charger itself, which is the little cube that you plug into the wall, and the cord that goes between that cube and your phone. If you plan to take your charger from home, then all you'll need is the small adapter that @t2andreo suggested. The one @davebugg suggested is simply a European charger which plugs directly into the wall outlets anywhere on the Camino and almost anywhere else in continental Europe (they use a different plug configuration in the UK). The cord that came with your phone has a standard USB plug at one end, and an iPhone-specific connector at the other end. Most phones other than iPhones use a different plug at the "phone end" of the cord. Since virtually all chargers for modern cellphones use the USB outlet and plug, you can plug any charging cord into any charger with a USB receptacle, as long as the other end of the cord matches the socket on your phone.

FWIW, I use one similar (but not exactly the same) as @davebugg. If you decide to use the smaller @t2andreo type adapter with your own charger, use a strip of electrical tape to securely tape the adapter to your charger, because sooner or later you'll be in a rush and when you unplug your charger the little adapter will stay in the wall socket (voice of experience here -- I lost two of those adapters on my first Camino and that's why I now use the @davebugg type chargers with the integral European pins.)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks jimcarp for that explanation. I have plans to take my grandson to Cambodia next year. His mother is from there. I would like to do a few other European trips at some point. I will get the adapter for each area.

Thanks jimcarp for that explanation. I have plans to take my grandson to Cambodia next year. His mother is from there. I would like to do a few other European trips at some point. I will get the adapter for each area.
Here is a link to a website that shows the electrical plug types used in different countries around the world: http://www.internationalconfig.com/wwpts/index.asp Using this chart, it looks like Cambodia uses the same plug configuration as the UK. Look at on-line retailers such as amazon.com for an adapter for any of country-specific plug configurations. Travel agencies such as AAA here in the US often sell kits with multiple adapters which fit the most common types.

Thanks again jimcarp you are a wealth of knowledge.
Ann

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Something like this. I like this one because all of the USB ports will work for either a smartphone or tablet. This model comes with all the proper plug adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YTFH1Z/?tag=casaivar02-20
@tomnorth the amazon link you gave is now broken and I am wondering if what you used is something like this: Thanks!
Insignia™ - 3-Port USB International Wall Charger - Black

@tomnorth the amazon link you gave is now broken and I am wondering if what you used is something like this: Thanks!
Insignia™ - 3-Port USB International Wall Charger - Black
Yes, this would work. The big disadvantage I see with this is that even though can adapt it to various countries, you have to carry both parts with you. If you loose one part you are out of luck until you buy some kind of replacement. It is a better choice to have a one piece adapter/charger like @davebugg showed in post #7, fewer parts to keep track of.

Yes, this would work. The big disadvantage I see with this is that even though can adapt it to various countries, you have to carry both parts with you. If you loose one part you are out of luck until you buy some kind of replacement. It is a better choice to have a one piece adapter/charger like @davebugg showed in post #7, fewer parts to keep track of.
Oh! Yes! That one looks good. I had missed that link in his post. Thanks so much for your quick response!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The so called Euro Plug is one of the smallest for 220-250Volt and can be connected in a lot of countries (not only in Europe!). You could even make it fit into GB,IRL,Malta sockets (not recommended!)
Using adapters causes stability problems and adds weight, so why not spend a few bugs for a real charger?
Buy one for your travel either in Europe or at the various internet stores in China. A basic USB charger (1 Port 1 Ampere) starts at ~40g. It will also work with Apple, Huawei, Nokia etc. if you have the original cable.

Don't take the shortest charging cable that you can find. e.g. 20cm is not even long enough to put your phone on the ground, though its enough for a powerbank connection. 75-100cm usually allows you to put the phone on a shelf, a window bench ..., avoiding to put it on the ground.

I'd recommend this adapter if you want to take your own 230Volt laptop, hair dryer, whatever to Europe. It is not usable in all countries of Europe but a mechanical stable platform and made for high power (16 Ampere).

Also take a long charging, 2/3m, cord so that you can either use your phone whilst it charges and sit in comfort and/or keep it near you. Nat all electrical outlets will be convent to your bunk.

3m (10 ft) might be conveniant in some cases, but low voltage charging cables shouldn't be that long.
The phones I had came with +-1m cables.
Additionally the lenght adds some weight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.