• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

What Unexpected item did you find in your pack when you got home?

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Year of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
An unexpected quantity of loose change. I make sure I have some euro coins with me whenever I arrive and, to replenish my stock, tend to drop the occasional €1 into my sack. Trouble is I lose count so I’ve got a jar with - at last count - €130 in 1s and 2s at home. I really need to get a grip.

Oh, and two 12-gauge cartridges. Must have gone out and come back with me. The x-ray operator must have been asleep (twice).

I used to carry a load of spare batteries and a wind-up alarm clock in my flight case when I was working. Usually sailed through security because I knew the drill inside-out. Once in a while there would be a sharp intake of breath from the x-ray screening station and men with guns would arrive.

A good friend of mine travelled to the states very regularly back in the 80’s and a friend of his (you see how accurate this story is likely to be) had a particular longing for battenburg cake. Jim took half-a-dozen with him every few months. They’re about 3” square and 9” long and covered in marzipan paste, so smell of almonds. As does PE8, the UK military plastic explosive (like the US C4).

Jim travelled back and forth for a couple of years until one memorable day - maybe they had a new dog on duty at Manchester airport - when he found himself held at gunpoint then deposited in the security ‘blast room’ where he had to fully disrobe, get into a paper suit and pass his clothes and belongings out one item at a time in response to instructions from a nervous-sounding speaker next to a security camera.

Oh, how we laughed,

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
1613688893842.png

Snugged down in that pocket under your pack that houses the rain cover. Kept for sentimental reasons and is labelled consumir preferentemente antes del fin 2.007

I also have ones, brought back deliberately, from 2012 (BBD 2016) and 2015 (BBD 2019) - all the same brand.

I did mean to bring some home in 2016 but forgot to do so. After that there didn't seem to be much point.

They are labelled up because my daughter found them and said: "You DO realise these are out of date don't you? Shall I bin them?" (The child has no romance in her soul!)

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Nothing - mainly because I do a thorough sorting and cleaning in Santiago or wherever my last camino point was, to make sure I don't bring any unexpected bedbugs home. :(
Me too! I'm really paranoid when we leave SdC that nothing extra is crawling around in my pack...so I get rid of any extras...

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
An unexpected quantity of loose change. I make sure I have some euro coins with me whenever I arrive and, to replenish my stock, tend to drop the occasional €1 into my sack. Trouble is I lose count so I’ve got a jar with - at last count - €130 in 1s and 2s at home. I really need to get a grip.

Oh, and two 12-gauge cartridges. Must have gone out and come back with me. The x-ray operator must have been asleep (twice).

I used to carry a load of spare batteries and a wind-up alarm clock in my flight case when I was working. Usually sailed through security because I knew the drill inside-out. Once in a while there would be a sharp intake of breath from the x-ray screening station and men with guns would arrive.

A good friend of mine travelled to the states very regularly back in the 80’s and a friend of his (you see how accurate this story is likely to be) had a particular longing for battenburg cake. Jim took half-a-dozen with him every few months. They’re about 3” square and 9” long and covered in marzipan paste, so smell of almonds. As does PE8, the UK military plastic explosive (like the US C4).

Jim travelled back and forth for a couple of years until one memorable day - maybe they had a new dog on duty at Manchester airport - when he found himself held at gunpoint then deposited in the security ‘blast room’ where he had to fully disrobe, get into a paper suit and pass his clothes and belongings out one item at a time in response to instructions from a nervous-sounding speaker next to a security camera.

Oh, how we laughed,
Hence the quote from a friend's ex-squaddie son-in law: "What's the difference between ASDA Battenberg and PE8? The explosives taste better."?

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

kaylfrazer

Roncesvalle-SDC (2001), SJPP-SDC(2003), Le Puy - SJPP (2011)
New Zealand has pretty strict entry policies so we were very careful about checking our bags coming home.. so nothing unexpected there. We did however find something unexpected in our pack along the camino. In 2003 I walked with my husband, my second camino and his first. Before the camino we stayed in Germany with a peregrina friend I had met on my first camino, and sent a box of things home before heading for Spain. Along the Camino we kept meeting an Italian. He was tall , good looking with long hair in a pony tail and flowing white clothes.. no idea how he did that on the camino! He often played a recorder as he was walking. My husband was NOT impressed and a wee bit jealous. About 10 days into our camino, my husband took the liner out of his pack and discovered that he too had accidentally bought recorder. No white flowing clothes or pony tail but he was also able to play as he walked the Way!

Arn

Veteran Member

Oh, how we laughed,
Immediately following 9-11, I was in the initial group that trained, in Georgia,
what became our Airport Security.
As happens, one officer’s interpretation of “dangerous weapon” is another’s “Oh, my gram used to make that too. Anisette can do that to.

Anamiri

Veteran Member
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
@Robo posted a threat about what was in his pack. I asked him did he find anything in his pack when he arrived home that was unexpected.
So, same question to all my fellow Camino pilgrims. Now, be honest here!
Buen “That’s not a frog is it?” Camino
Arn
Less than I started with. I took 6 socks (all the same) and came back with 5.

Walkerooni

C. Frances SJPdP to Santiago (June-ish 2018)
Found my first aid kit that had worked its way to the bottom of my pack, unused. Other than that, nothing.

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
View attachment 93877

Snugged down in that pocket under your pack that houses the rain cover. Kept for sentimental reasons and is labelled consumir preferentemente antes del fin 2.007

I also have ones, brought back deliberately, from 2012 (BBD 2016) and 2015 (BBD 2019) - all the same brand.

I did mean to bring some home in 2016 but forgot to do so. After that there didn't seem to be much point.

They are labelled up because my daughter found them and said: "You DO realise these are out of date don't you? Shall I bin them?" (The child has no romance in her soul!)
I almost always had one of those in my backpack for a snack. They are a great pick me up but always have to be careful that I don't spill that olive oil all over me when I open the can.

Arn

Veteran Member
Found my first aid kit that had worked its way to the bottom of my pack, unused. Other than that, nothing.
I consider the basics of a First Aid kit essential (band aides, bag balm, nail clipper, Naproxen) and locate them for easy reach. The more difficult an item is to reach, the more likely you will delay getting to it. That's why I carry at least one can/bottle of cerveza in the front pocket of my pack. May as well be refreshed as the Naproxen kicks in.

Ivan_Prada

Francés-(septiembre 2018)
Portugués-(en planes 2021)??
I consider the basics of a First Aid kit essential (band aides, bag balm, nail clipper, Naproxen) and locate them for easy reach. The more difficult an item is to reach, the more likely you will delay getting to it. That's why I carry at least one can/bottle of cerveza in the front pocket of my pack. May as well be refreshed as the Naproxen kicks in.
Be certain as into what direction you open the beer, it may become a shower....
Iván

Create your own ad
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Frances, Via De La Plata, Camino De Madrid, The Oberstrasse, Camino Ingles, Camino Portugues
The portugues airline lost my bag and it took two months to get it back again. Unfortunately there was a very rotten orange in the pack which was the first thing I noticed when I opened it! I had forgotten I had put it in the top of the bag....

Adelina

Camino Frances - s'2018- Astorga to Santiago
Camino Frances - s' 2019- St Jean to Carrion
What I didn't find was my poncho! It slipped out of my pack one day after I had used it and just tried to tack it on instead of put it in my pack. As I didn't need it again, I didn't notice it was gone until I got home and unpacked my bag!

Rick of Rick and Peg

Veteran Member
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
The portugues airline lost my bag and it took two months to get it back again. Unfortunately there was a very rotten orange in the pack which was the first thing I noticed when I opened it! I had forgotten I had put it in the top of the bag....

🙏 Thank you. This is my preferred way of learning such things.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
What I didn't find was my poncho! It slipped out of my pack one day after I had used it and just tried to tack it on instead of put it in my pack. As I didn't need it again, I didn't notice it was gone until I got home and unpacked my bag!
Ah! the road to Santiago is paved with . . .

Remember seeing an obviously brand new flip-flop alongside the trail and, about 5km further along in a village, its companion sticking out of a rubbish bin alongside a fuente.

My friend JoJo was lucky to retrieve her camera - one of the last shots she took was an image of herself reflected in a roadside mirror. The Portugues lad who found it walked along comparing faces until he found her!

If it's being carried on the outside strap it down!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
If it's being carried on the outside strap it down!
So true! My friend, when having her backpack transported on the Le Puy route, had a very expensive pair of alternate shoes and had tucked one in each of the water bottle holders. When we arrived at our lodging later, one shoe had fallen out and missing, and she was sorely disappointed. Upon leaving the gite the next morning, our other friend happened to notice it on the side of the road just out front...it was a very happy "reunion".😃

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.