• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What was in your pack when you finished?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First time out I'd consumed all my meds and lost a shirt. Most times since I've hung on to the shirt, consumed the meds, and occasionally acquired a bottle of sunshine ( like moonshine but called Orujo).

My pack-weight doesn't really change until the day before I head to the airport: then it doubles with Chorizo, Morcilla de Burgos, Oveja and anything else at the market that takes my fancy. The paella pan was a mistake.

Last edited:
Everything arrived with me in SdC from SJPdP, and then made it back home. After cleaning, the Camino specific gear is in it's own tub sitting next to the other tubs containing gear I use for backpacking. What I take is good from early Spring thru late Fall.

If I somehow needed to suddenly leave for an emergency Camino, it would take me about 30 minutes to grab the necessary travel documents, pack my backpack, and head out the door. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Everything I took, plus some of my wife's stuff (from her pack), a couple of small gifts/patches, and, last (but definitely not least), a compastela.

Several Caminos, all between May and November.
On every one of them I left stuff on donativo tables. I will never learn. Maybe that is why I keep walking the Camino. Eventually I will get it right. ;)
On two July Caminos I had a poncho and a fleece pullover I never used. No rain and no cold. I did not like that. I do not care to carry stuff I do not use and had they not been good ones that cost a bit I would have donated them too.
I have left trekking poles in Santiago three times. Carried on my pack and did not want hassle of keeping the poles. Besides, they did their duty well.
On just about every one I walked, at the end I threw away my rubber sandals, most of my socks, toiletries and even underwear. Was nice to get that backpack really small and light and carry it on the planes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I went home with pretty much everything I took with me. I didn't take much extra stuff. First Camino, I took more first aid stuff than I needed, so I ditched some of that along the way, but I also picked up more foot care stuff, so I call that even. Second Camino, I bought a pair of hiking sandals. Both Caminos - I started with a small stash of over the counter meds and ended with a small stash - but they were different ones since I replenished along the way.

My pack-weight doesn't really change until the day before I head to the airport: then it doubles with Chorizo, Morcilla de Burgos, Oveja and anything else at the market that takes my fancy. The paella pan was a mistake.
And 1 kg. of Manchego cheese, semi curado, by strict orders from the boss at home... We men always do as told...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Everything arrived with me in SdC from SJPdP, and then made it back home. After cleaning, the Camino specific gear is in it's own tub sitting next to the other tubs containing gear I use for backpacking. What I take is good from early Spring thru late Fall.

If I somehow needed to suddenly leave for an emergency Camino, it would take me about 30 minutes to grab the necessary travel documents, pack my backpack, and head out the door. :)
I wouldn't even really need to pack , I leave stuff all in a bin ready to go. Just needs meds and clean socks

davebugg, bug out bag (bob), emergency camino ... there has to be an a catching acronym there somewhere. 😂:D:cool:

You just never know when an emergency Camino comes along! When I return from Spain in June, I'll wash and pack the clothes again and refill the containers, because the need for Spain can be impossible to resist!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I often write an un-packing list after the fact, to see what might be superfluous or least liked and used. Happy to bring first aid, rain gear and a warm layer without needing them!
After my St Jean-Santiago walk I came home with new walking trousers (still use them), a new top (tech material - straight in the bin, they stink, never again), new boots (shoes one size too small even though I sized up), a lightweight sleeping bag (liner is NOT enough), three new pairs of socks (1000 mile socks don't work for me) and a credencial stamp Buff. Plus a few lovely cotton souvenir T-shirts of course, and the silver shell I still wear around my neck.
I left a pair of shorts in Pamplona, shoes in Estella, socks in Belorado, trousers and shirt in Astorga when I bought new stuff, and my heart in Santiago. Then added merino T-shirts, tights and a walking skirt, and my packing list has been pretty much the same since.

We have a Camino plastic bin as well. I occasionally buy stuff to put in it, such as foldable tooth brushes when I see them for a lower price, and I do use some of the clothes at other times, too. Packing for Via Augusta in December took me about half an hour. Then I pulled out the printed list to check, and I hadn't forgotten a thing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't get "emergency Camino" out of my head - it may be the best thing ever written on this forum!!

"If I somehow needed to suddenly leave for an emergency Camino" ..... brilliant!! :D:D:D
"We have a Code Red in Astorga!"

"A Code Red? Send for Dave Bugg immediately!"

(Dum de dum dum, dum de dah! Dum de dum dum, dum de dah dah dah! - Indiana Jones theme in case you didn't recognise it)

The last few times I've arrived in Spain wearing an old tee-shirt, underwear and socks. These get dumped on the first day so I start out with all clean clothes. In the last few days dirty tee-shirts get dumped rather than washed - I mean I've worn that horrible shade of green shirt every third day for a month, it's abraded where the waist band chafed - do I really want to take it home? Cheapo Decathlon hiking poles are offered up as gifts to the gods: a friend and I stayed in one hostal in SdC where they had help your self souvenirs - she left her hiking poles there on the way upstairs, coming down 5 minutes later they were gone!

I've also shed (and regained) some 90 pounds in weight (over 6 Caminos) and lost my passport and credential.

Coming back I've added a plastic recorder (Los Arcos), a blue enamelled paella pan (SdC), a chubasquero (like a poncho but sweatier - Estella), a copy of an Opinel knife (Puenta de la Reina), a Swiss Army knife (from a log on the way to Rabanal), various Camino themed Buffs, pure wool socks (Cacabelos market) as well as miscellaneous Camino souvenirs (jewellery, shirts etc.)

It’s clear that most of us appear to have a plastic bin full of Camino related stuff. The phrase ‘emergency Camino’ is so spot on, great to see davebugg back online again. Our bins are always packed and ready to go. We’re leaving on Tuesday for Porto and are in the final stages of deciding what type of fleece, Uniqlo, warm and thick or Paramo, thin and technical. Lightweight sleeping bag or silk liner, green & black chocolate or Kendal mint cake. Of such decisions are the fate of nations decided 😊. It’s such a joy to see that others are experiencing exactly the same delight in the Camino experience. Long may it continue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The same clothes I brought albeit not in the same condition, local cheese, additional notebooks, two books in Spanish to replace the English ones I left behnd, various cards I forgot to post, an olive wood plate, and two small handmade gifts from generous hospitaleros.

I had all the same items that I started with. But when I came home last June I had new poles (I chose to buy them in Spain on the trip rather than taking mine from Canada), and 3 Spanish books I bought in Santiago. I enjoyed reading (translating word for word) "Los Futbolisimos" a story for kids 10 years old, and this June I intend to buy at least the next one in the series! (yes I could use Amazon, but a walk from Porto to Santiago to buy the book is more fun!)

As for an emergency camino - I could leave right now. I am actually wearing the same clothes that I wear on the camino. Just need to grab my passport and backpack! I have so few clothes, that I wear my camino clothes to work, including my hiking shoes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I left a pair of shorts in Pamplona, shoes in Estella, socks in Belorado, trousers and shirt in Astorga when I bought new stuff, and my heart in Santiago. Then added merino T-shirts, tights and a walking skirt, and my packing list has been pretty much the same since.

I can't leave my heart in Santiago. It's been captured there since 2012. But I'm hoping to bring it home this year when I go. I realize that plastic bins may not disinfect it but at least I will be ready for my next "emergency Camino"

We came back with essentially what we started with. Add on some post cards and two ceramic tiles with the yellow shell. But then we went for 2 weeks holiday near Cangas- walking around mountains and on the beaches- still with just our camino gear. People must have wondered why we always wore the same clothes....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The last few times I've arrived in Spain wearing an old tee-shirt, underwear and socks. These get dumped on the first day so I start out with all clean clothes. In the last few days dirty tee-shirts get dumped rather than washed - I mean I've worn that horrible shade of green shirt every third day for a month, it's abraded where the waist band chafed - do I really want to take it home? Cheapo Decathlon hiking poles are offered up as gifts to the gods: a friend and I stayed in one hostal in SdC where they had help your self souvenirs - she left her hiking poles there on the way upstairs, coming down 5 minutes later they were gone!

I've also shed (and regained) some 90 pounds in weight (over 6 Caminos) and lost my passport and credential.

Coming back I've added a plastic recorder (Los Arcos), a blue enamelled paella pan (SdC), a chubasquero (like a poncho but sweatier - Estella), a copy of an Opinel knife (Puenta de la Reina), a Swiss Army knife (from a log on the way to Rabanal), various Camino themed Buffs, pure wool socks (Cacabelos market) as well as miscellaneous Camino souvenirs (jewellery, shirts etc.)

I tried making an offer for this Paella pan I saw in Estella, but no amount of shoving and reorganizing of the backpack could make it fit. :)

BTW, this was for a festival and they were setting it up in a plaza around 0730. When I asked them how many people the Paella would feed, the answer was, "Everybody".

I tried making an offer for this Paella pan I saw in Estella, but no amount of shoving and reorganizing of the backpack could make it fit. :)

BTW, this was for a festival and they were setting it up in a plaza around 0730. When I asked them how many people the Paella would feed, the answer was, "Everybody".

View attachment 52857
Is there such a thing as paella pan envy?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmm, an "emergency Camino" ... and I thought I was doing a quick start but I still have a month in between decision to leave and actual start of the journey ;-) ... but no time really to prepare. So I guess I will be packing the day before.

But interesting to read on this forum what people bring ;-)

We see a lot of lists of starting packing lists, what did you have in your pack when you finished?
What time of year did you start and finish?
The first year I walked the Camino Frances in early spring. Carried TEVA sandals that I never wore. ARG! My feet were so tired by evening that I needed the support of boots to walk. The second year on the very muddy and wet Via de la plata I carried super light plastic shoes from the dollar store. Only used them for showers and shuffling around the albergue. I tossed my second pair of hiking pants, and purchased a very light weight pair of cotton YOGA pants. These are OK to wear in the evening, and are more comfortable for sleeping. Since the Via de la Plata was very cold last year, I tossed my down vest, and purchased a fleece pull over in a China Bazzar store in Monesterio. Also purchased a european style poncho in Salamanca. The kind with sleeves. Literally saved my life between Salamanca and Zafra. This year I may bring an old shirt that I can toss if not needed. I also fly to Spain in old but presentable clothes, and them toss them just prior to starting to walk. We usually walk in early spring.

€83,-
The first year I walked the Camino Frances in early spring. Carried TEVA sandals that I never wore. ARG! My feet were so tired by evening that I needed the support of boots to walk. The second year on the very muddy and wet Via de la plata I carried super light plastic shoes from the dollar store. Only used them for showers and shuffling around the albergue. I tossed my second pair of hiking pants, and purchased a very light weight pair of cotton YOGA pants. These are OK to wear in the evening, and are more comfortable for sleeping. Since the Via de la Plata was very cold last year, I tossed my down vest, and purchased a fleece pull over in a China Bazzar store in Monesterio. Also purchased a european style poncho in Salamanca. The kind with sleeves. Literally saved my life between Salamanca and Zafra. This year I may bring an old shirt that I can toss if not needed. I also fly to Spain in old but presentable clothes, and them toss them just prior to starting to walk. We usually walk in early spring.
China Bazaar shops in Spain.
Those are great. Can come in quite handy. There is a good one in Najera. It was the only thing open in the afternoon on a warm, sunny Camino Sunday. I was able to buy fresh fruit, beer, tins of tuna and bread and a replacement charger for my phone (left it in an albergue).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pretty much what I had at the start although I had essentially become a walking pharmacy! I gained a folder for my compostelas, a large scallop shell tile and a couple of camino buffs. (NB not widely available in Muxia/Finisterre so buy souvenirs in Santiago if you’re not going back there after).

First time out I'd consumed all my meds and lost a shirt. Most times since I've hung on to the shirt, consumed the meds, and occasionally acquired a bottle of sunshine ( like moonshine but called Orujo).

😂

😀😃😄😁😆😅😂🤣 I am so with you in that thought! I certainly could be out the door in under an hour. I might need the extra 30 minutes to figure out how to tell my wonderful wife who puts up with me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am so jealous of those who live near Spain and can do an emergency Camino, I’d come up with a good reason for that every year, but from Australia it has to be a planned holiday 😔. Next time no supplements for the body, just rely on getting fitter as I walk and minimal clothing.

I am so jealous of those who live near Spain and can do an emergency Camino, I’d come up with a good reason for that every year, but from Australia it has to be a planned holiday 😔. Next time no supplements for the body, just rely on getting fitter as I walk and minimal clothing.
I'm with you Wendy I'm from Qld btw. Soooooo jealous of the members who live in Europe. Oh to win to the Lotto!!!!! 6mths to go - but who's counting.😂

Ditto Wendy and Carmel. Can't wait till September when I fly out again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We see a lot of lists of starting packing lists, what did you have in your pack when you finished?

Exactly what I started with less a small tin containing my solid shampoo bar ( left in the showers at Roncevalles) plus a bottle of that delightful ( or devilish, depending on your standpoint) herbal liquor and a couple of little trinkets from the fabulous smithy at the forge just by the wine fountain.
Does this mean I packed well for my first camino? On reflection, I could have done without carting a second, really heavy ( entirely unused ) water bottle for 800km but I couldn’t quite bring myself to ditch a brand new bottle. In reality, there are plenty of places to refil along the way, one bottle is plenty

How odd you all are?
I shed things all the way. It is part of the camino for me - getting rid.
Mentally, spiritually and physically too.
The more I can leave the better I feel.
I hope the things I leave are of use to others.
If I finished with just the clothes I stood up in that would be a very good camino for me.

To be fair, I took very little in the first place. Of course I did shed some emotional baggage (and a small, symbolic physical burden at Cruz de Fero) along the way but other than the eronious water bottle, if I’d shed much more I’d have been in danger of causing offence = I only took two t shirts, 1 pair of shorts, one pair of hiking trousers, 3 pairs of undies, 3 pairs of socks, a small travel towel, smalll first aid kit, lightweight rain jacket and trousers ( wouldn’t bother taking the trousers again, legs are waterproof) a sleeping bag liner, minimal wash kit, very lightweight crocs sliders ( for evenings and showers), phone, passport, credential, money, my boots and walking poles and a small sandwich bag of toilet tissue.
To be fair, there were times when I could have happily been warmer in the albergues, would probably take a lightweight sleeping bag instead of thin silky liner next time and ditch the waterproof trousers and second water bottle. I’d probably swap the hiking trousers for a pair of running tights too, I walked in shorts almost every day, regardless of weather, and the yoga/running tights would have been more comfortable in the albergues in the evenings.
Camino Frances, early May-early June

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How odd you all are?
I shed things all the way. It is part of the camino for me - getting rid.
Mentally, spiritually and physically too.
The more I can leave the better I feel.
I hope the things I leave are of use to others.
If I finished with just the clothes I stood up in that would be a very good camino for me.
I can't get "emergency Camino" out of my head - it may be the best thing ever written on this forum!!

"If I somehow needed to suddenly leave for an emergency Camino" ..... brilliant!! :D:D:D
My wife and I have been chuckling for days about Dave Bugg’s “emergency Camino” preparations. So droll. What a great way of thinking about the call of the Way for travelers.

Started with 40 lbs and finished that way. Heavy @ first? Yes!! 6-7 days later no. 70 years old. Ended at Muxía.
40 pounds of kit!?
I cannot think of 40 pounds of things I would need to bring with me on a Camino. :D I am assuming you were tent camping and had cooking supplies etc?

I had a little more than when I started. My packing was extremely minimalist. Which was definitely a new term for me and my packing habits. I blame my parents who did the Camino a few months before me and were stressing that I ought not to bring anything that wasn't essential. I quickly realised that we didn't quite agree on which things we considered essential. So I gave in to a little bit of vanity when I reached Logrono. And boy was I glad I did. I bought a nice evening shirt, a concealer and lightweight foundation and a nicer pair of running tights. And it felt amazing. A few grams here and there for feeling a little more human was weight well spent if you ask me.

I had two merino t-shirts and 1x pair of running tights that I never really wore but they were just too damn expensive to toss. Still waiting for the day I will start wearing them.

Then I of course bought vaseline, compeed, tape, band aids, ibuprofen, electrolytes and ear plugs.. lots of ear plugs. And practical things like two pairs of socks, rain poncho and the usual; a shell, a pilgrim passport.

I didn't get rid of anything. Except for my trail runners which I tossed 10K before arriving in Santiago because of a very painful blister that tore open. I really really wanted to get rid of my trekking poles but they were my mom's so I couldn't really. They got lost on my flight back home.. the irony.

I started in St. Jean on August 29th 2016 and finished in Santiago on October 1st. I'm doing Leon - Santiago in September this year and will keep it pretty much the same. Maybe skip the rain poncho? It rained only once on my Camino and it was a crazy rain/thunder/hale storm where it was useless anyways. That was quite a day. I'd probably be jinxing it if i left it behind thought.. I'll have to think that one through.

Last edited:
Walked from SJPdP to Leon and then finally emptied items of weight; lock and chain, large safari hat (don't ask), extra t-shirt and extra shorts. The idea was to lower the weight of the backpack by 30%. Six days before Santiago, I sprained my ankle and needed to have the bp transported by service each day. I will do my 2nd CF this May, one year later, and bring less bp weight. I did drop 10 pounds of body weight so that helped walking on a sprain ankle. Note to self: don't injure ankle.

It’s clear that most of us appear to have a plastic bin full of Camino related stuff. The phrase ‘emergency Camino’ is so spot on, great to see davebugg back online again. Our bins are always packed and ready to go. We’re leaving on Tuesday for Porto and are in the final stages of deciding what type of fleece, Uniqlo, warm and thick or Paramo, thin and technical. Lightweight sleeping bag or silk liner, green & black chocolate or Kendal mint cake. Of such decisions are the fate of nations decided 😊. It’s such a joy to see that others are experiencing exactly the same delight in the Camino experience. Long may it continue.
I thought Kendal mint cake was for going to the ends of the earth! For me it falls into the not needed category! Portugal is rather civilised! However, if it helps, who am I to cast aspersions... I see you are due to start tomorrow. take care.

I ended with what I started with, minus my long-sleeved tech shirt and my fleece. Both were just too icky to take back home. Next time, it’s merino wool only!

I ended up getting a t-shirt and sweatshirt in Santiago to replace them. Felt good to have something fresh and new ;)

€149,-
I ended with what I started with, minus my long-sleeved tech shirt and my fleece. Both were just too icky to take back home. Next time, it’s merino wool only!

I ended up getting a t-shirt and sweatshirt in Santiago to replace them. Felt good to have something fresh and new ;)
you will smile I hope when you read this: I was doing a few things at the same time and thought I had read: I ended with what I started with, minus my long-sleeved tech shirt and my fiancee.

I chucked out two sweat stained t-shirts and baseball cap. But bought two souvenir t-shirts. So no real weight difference.

I subjected myself to a pre-departure inquisition, comprising of just one question; ‘do you really need that?’
Did not need poles, rucksack cover or compass. These were left behind and not missed.
Stopped using the platypus; tended to shed water when rucksack was put down carelessly, opening the valve. Too many embarrassing puddles. Bottled water bottle much simpler and easily accessed whilst walking. Did not need the travelling clothes line or Opinel knife.
The only purchases en route were a new notebook and thinner insoles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my first walk, I did send the tent home in the mail (as planned), as it was only needed in France. I've also forgotten water bottles in the albergue fridges more than once.

Other than that, I usually bring back what I started out with, except for the contents of my bank account, things like soap and toothpaste and ...
1000 mile socks don't work for me
... those 1000 mile socks that I dumped in the waste bin as worse than useless.

Plus I usually supplement with a few food items, small mementos for my family and the odd piece of paper with "vicarie pro" written on it in a cardboard tube.

I must also admit to being one of those who tend to keep my pack ready for an "Emergency Camino".

I subjected myself to a pre-departure inquisition, comprising of just one question; ‘do you really need that?’
Did not need poles, rucksack cover or compass. These were left behind and not missed.
Stopped using the platypus; tended to shed water when rucksack was put down carelessly, opening the valve. Too many embarrassing puddles. Bottled water bottle much simpler and easily accessed whilst walking. Did not need the travelling clothes line or Opinel knife.
The only purchases en route were a new notebook and thinner insoles.

Hi Tony, I am thinking of including a travelling clothes line to avoid carrying pegs, and always having line space. Did you find pegs a better option?

Hi
We may just have been lucky with the places we stayed, but there was always a clothes line of some sort, but not always enough pegs. At the Albergue San Francisco de Asis, in Leon, you have your laundry done for a small fee.
Clearly not everyone’s experience as occasionally we spotted odd items of clothing pegged to rucksacks!

€149,-
After I came home, these items came with me from SdC / Porto that I did not start with: Shell with string, Compostela and Certificate in tube, Camino T-Shirt (all from SdC), Antihistamine and Peitel-cream (insect-bite and swelling of my left ankle, from Triacastela). A new shower-gel from Leon. A handcrafted fan from Porto as a souvenir for my wife.

Lost my soapbox from Lush (probably in Triacastela).

Buen Camino!

what did you have in your pack when you finished?

Started in September in France, finished in Brazil in January. Missing items included one pair of merino socks, taken from my bunk by a snoring Italian, one long sleeve merino top taken from drying line in Finisterre. Camino provided 2 compestellas, variety of stamps, purple scallop shell, couple of fridge magnets and fabric patches, heart shaped stones and Camino magic dust🤠

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Everything I took with the exception of my pack towel which was lost in Roncesvalles—big pile of laundry (cold, rainy day so they offered to dry stuff in the dryers). even had my name in big, bold letters. Oh well, purchased a cotton tea towel in Pamplona that served me well for the rest of the Camino. I used everything and missed nothing. It was a good balance.

The last few times I've arrived in Spain wearing an old tee-shirt, underwear and socks. These get dumped on the first day so I start out with all clean clothes.

Me too!

I have a small pile of clean but virtually worn-out clothing which is my 'setting out on Camino' wardrobe. It lands in the bin before starting out on Day 1.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I thought Kendal mint cake was for going to the ends of the earth! For me it falls into the not needed category!

I live just outside Kendal. KMC was a thing of its time, for many people it falls into the 'teeth no longer needed' category, being 95% sugar or glucose.

There are still 3 or 4 manufacturers in Kendal. I cannot discern any difference between them.

I still do like it though, in moderation.

I had exactly what I had when I began, less a waterproof backpack cover I lost on my 2nd day in Roncesvalles. Never in my lifetime did I pack so perfectly. 14 pounds ( not including water) in a 38 liter pack.

I finished with 9 extra pairs of socks, after reaching insoles in my shoes I needed thinner socks, so I bought 2 pairs of hi tech socks for 25 euro, tested them in burgos for a couple of hours, no good, so I bought a pack of 7 socks from H&M for 10 euro. Fabulous I just could not bear to throw the others out. I also bought a merino shirt that everyone raves about, I wore it once as I found it unbearably hot as soon as temp got past 10 Deg Celsius. I still carried it. About 30km from Ocbreiro I bought a cast iron trivett in the shape of a triskele, that is another kg. also bought several tins of Spanish paprika. All in all I reckon my bag increased by 40% Body weight dropped by 300g and 2 toenails.

€46,-
I finished with 9 extra pairs of socks, after reaching insoles in my shoes I needed thinner socks, so I bought 2 pairs of hi tech socks for 25 euro, tested them in burgos for a couple of hours, no good, so I bought a pack of 7 socks from H&M for 10 euro. Fabulous I just could not bear to throw the others out. I also bought a merino shirt that everyone raves about, I wore it once as I found it unbearably hot as soon as temp got past 10 Deg Celsius. I still carried it. About 30km from Ocbreiro I bought a cast iron trivett in the shape of a triskele, that is another kg. also bought several tins of Spanish paprika. All in all I reckon my bag increased by 40% Body weight dropped by 300g and 2 toenails.
I brought two pairs of lightweight SmartWool socks. I like one pair better than the other, so, I wore that pair 90% of the Camino [to the coast]. I've been home now since mid May and have been averaging 30 miles a week - on the same pair of socks! I think I've got close to a 1000 miles on this pair of socks! Tomorrow I'll put another 12 miles on them. Best $25 spent in my lifetime.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.