Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What weather to expect on Primitivo in May

Lowtide

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2022
Planning to walk primitivo on or about may 1, 2023. Just finished the Portuguese coastal route, and was able to do it in 10 days. Hoping for good weather, and not too busy (no bed rush).
Bob

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am planning to walk the Salvador and Primitivo in Mid-May, 2023. Any ideas about what I should expect of the weather?

I have the village to village guide and it reports to expect rain. I think the best info would be to check the 10 day forecast, starting 2 weeks ahead, and then pack accordingly. I packed a goretex rain jacket and never put it on!

When I walked it in mid to late May this year it rained on three days out of fourteen, and it was prolonged and heavy on only one of those days. Apart from that I was blessed with the weather; bright, warm sunshine, a nice breeze and interesting fluffy white clouds. It was occasionally misty in the mornings, but it soon burned off.
It might be completely different next year of course...

Planning to walk primitivo on or about may 1, 2023. Just finished the Portuguese coastal route, and was able to do it in 10 days. Hoping for good weather, and not too busy (no bed rush).
Bob
Hi Bob
I am also planning to hike the Primitivo in late April-early May so will be interested in responses from Pilgrims who have walked at that time of year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am loving hearing that you will all be out and about in 2023. I am starting in Madrid in mid-May then onto the Salvador and Primitivo. I hope to meet a few of you out on the trail. Mel

I am planning to walk the Salvador and Primitivo in Mid-May, 2023. Any ideas about what I should expect of the weather?
The Spanish met service website can provide standard climate data for places where they collect weather information here. You will find monthly lists of the key climate variables such as the average number of rainy days, minimum and maximum temperatures, etc. As you get closer, they provide a seven-day forecast. You might find some weather prediction sites with slightly longer range forecasts, noting that these will necessarily be less reliable the further out the forecast is.

Bob
There was snow early May this year. 🙏

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There was snow early May this year. 🙏
I'm assuming that was in the high region on the hospitals route? Or was it more than that and fore more days?
I'm to pull out of Oviedo on or about May 3rd (I think). Aiming for Grado, Salas, Tineo, and then, weather permitting: the hospitales route and then down to Grandas de Salime etc. on to SdC.
I'm not sure if I am seeking a compostela on this trip -- the main issue being how crowded it can be from Melide to SdC. Hopeful that mid-May won't have too awful a bed-rush. I've put in too many double-stages in those last KMs now because of needing to avoid bed-crunch problems.
@wisepilgrim, what do you think about my chances for weather and beds in the first half of May from Oviedo?
Question for area experts.... does anyone know if the reproductions of the Codex that one can buy in the museum are complete or abridged in some fashion?
Thanks in advance all.

I did Lugo to Santiago 1st week of May last year and it was sunny everyday with highs of 18 at the start then 26 in Santiago. Mornings/evenings were chilly though. No rain but I met a few guys who started in olivero and they had some bad weather (heavy rain/wind). So I’d expect some rain and fluctuating temperatures

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Agonizing over weight -- to take the very light-weight puffer (which is entirely unsuited to the conference I will be at after the camino walk ends), or take my heavier fleece, that gets the job done but is more busy, and will be more presentable at the conference.
This is probably my fault for aiming to do two very different kinds of travel on one transatlantic crossing and return.
Still... fleece or puffer? ugh... the fleece is a full zip and in a staid grey so I can wear it to dinner and not look wildly out of place. There's no getting around the appearance of the puffer jacket as such.
Thoughts?

Thanks for the heads up @Tincatinker about the waymarking from A Gandarra to Lavacola. That's my plan in mid-June and I didn't know if there would be signage. That gives me a bit more confidence walking this stage solo. Much appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No need to join the Frances at Melide. Take the Camino Verde to Sobrado and the “bypass” route from A Gandara and join the Frances at Lavacola. It’s way marked and mellow
I've been looking closely at the maps to try and find A Gandara, as I'm interested in taking the Camino Verde, to avoid a lot of the crowds. Can you identify its location more specifically? Thanks

I've been looking closely at the maps to try and find A Gandara, as I'm interested in taking the Camino Verde, to avoid a lot of the crowds. Can you identify its location more specifically? Thanks
I am pretty sure Gandara is just below Boimorto. It almost looks like a mini south-east suburb. Mel

Last edited:
@notion900's resource for the Verde is here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...er-lugo-on-primitivo-to-sobrado-on-norte.508/

A Gandara/Gandara is, as said above, the southern end of Boimorto. Take the CP-0603 to your right just after the Centro de Saúde de Boimorto

Muchas gracias! That link is a wealth of information. Just after a quick review, we've decided to take this route!
We loved it. The navigation wasn’t challenging, just required focus at a couple of points. The Hostal/Posada in Friol was lovely. After telling us that the meson was closed on Mondays they asked us what we’d like to eat and cooked us up a feast. The diversion/variant to Santa Eulalia da Bóveda is worth it but check opening times

I walked the Primitivo in June - cool most days with only 4 very warm days, then it cooled off. I had planned to walk from the Hendaye to Santiago (via Norte/Primitivo) and then do the Portugues from Porto right afterwards - but I had so many cool days that I decided to pack up and head to Sicily to warm up. I wasn't excessively cold - but cold enough that I was tired of being cold.

But then - the heat wave hit right after I left Spain and it was VERY hot for the next several weeks. I didn't have much rain on the Primitivo, but I had quite a bit on the Norte (I started the Norte around May 28 - and reached the Primitivo 2 weeks later).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back