• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What were your stages on the Norte?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Just asking out of curiosity. I'd also like to know the stages of people who switched to the Primitivo for the last part.
And something that I'm a little worried about is that I've read that there are quite a few stretches without places with stores or bars to get a bite to eat. I guess I'm spoiled for frequent places to get food from walking the Frances. :)
I'll be starting from Irun on July 4th.

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just asking out of curiosity. I'd also like to know the stages of people who switched to the Primitivo for the last part.
And something that I'm a little worried about is that I've read that there are quite a few stretches without places with stores or bars to get a bite to eat. I guess I'm spoiled for frequent places to get food from walking the Frances. :)
I'll be starting from Irun on July 4th.

Thanks
https://www.gronze.com/camino-norte. About Camino Primitivo - https://www.gronze.com/camino-primitivo. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks. I know about Gronze. I'm interested in hearing what other people's actual stages were.
Hi, trecile, I never wrote up my stages from last year, but will do that as soon as I can. Are you interested in doing the coastal alternatives I posted about? I know some have done them without a GPS, but I think it would be tricky in a couple of spots. When are you leaving? Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks. I know about Gronze. I'm interested in hearing what other people's actual stages were.
If you have the maps of the stages, and the albergues in the localities on the road, you can make your own route without considering how others went! Not everyone goes the same way, do your own route - if you are not happy with the division from the gronze! Here are two other possible routes : http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/37/camino-del-norte/ or here : antiago-compostela.net/camino-del-norte/

Hi, trecile, I never wrote up my stages from last year, but will do that as soon as I can. Are you interested in doing the coastal alternatives I posted about? I know some have done them without a GPS, but I think it would be tricky in a couple of spots. When are you leaving? Buen camino, Laurie
I'll be starting from Irun on July 4th. I'd like to walk along the coast as much as possible. I don't have as much time to walk as I had on the Frances the last couple of years, and I'd like to walk from Santiago to Finisterre again. I'll have 38 days to walk before my flight from Santiago.
I usually like to walk around 25 km per day.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'll be starting from Irun on July 4th. I'd like to walk along the coast as much as possible. I don't have as much time to walk as I had on the Frances the last couple of years, and I'd like to walk from Santiago to Finisterre again. I'll have 38 days to walk before my flight from Santiago.
I usually like to walk around 25 km per day.

I have posted my stages, not sure they will help you much, but like you, I think it's fun to play around with all of the many possibilities, just so you can come up with your own unique schedule once your feet start moving.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-norte-2017-one-year-late.55828/

My stages in 2016 (copied from my blog so some unnecessary details):

Day 1, Biarritz (airport) - Irún, 41 km 11:27:19. Albergue municipal.

Day 2 Irún - Gran Camping Zarauts 44 km (about 11 h, GPS watched died after 40 km). Private alberuge at Gran Camping Zarautz.

Day 3 Gran Camping Zarautz - Eremita del Calvario 31,55 km, 07:51:33. Private albergue in Eremita del Calvario.

Day 4 Eremita del Calvario - Mendata, 38,95 km, 09:15:05. Albergue municipal of route in Mandata.

Day 5 Mandata-Bilbao 37,87 km, 08:33:21. Albergue municipal.

Day 6 Bilbao - Castro Urdiales 45,2 km, 09:20:56 Albergue municipal.

Day 7 Castro-Urdiales - Noja 38,32 km, 08:07:52. Private alberge Noja Aventura Turistico Albergue (got a food poisoning there) .

Day 8 Noja - Santander 37,88 km (32,4 km without ferry), 09:35:59. Albergue municipal.

Day 9 Santander - Cóbreces 45,05 km, 08:58:42. Monasterio albergue.

Day 10 Cóbreces - Colombres 38,81 km, 08:23:26. Private Colombres Albergue turistico.

Day 11 Colombres - Poo 29,19 km, 06:24:31. Private Albergue Llanes in Playa Poo Turistico.

Day 12 Poo - San Esteban de Leces 34,76 km 08:03:10. Albergue municipal..

Day 13 San Esteban de Leces - Villaviciosa 35,96 km, 07:19:23. Private Albergue Villaviscosia Turistico.

Day 14 Villaviciosa - Gijón 31,54 km, 06:53:35. Hotel Costa verde.

Day 15 Gijón - San Martín de Laspra 32,77 km, 06:07:00 Private albergue San Martín de Laspra.

Day 16 San Martín de Laspra - Soto de Luiña 31,68 km, 05:39:13. Albergue municipal.

Day 17, Soto de Luiña - Luarca 35,98 km, 06:59:03. Hotel Báltico.

Day 18 Luarca - Tapia de Casariego 41,93 km, 08:10:29. Albergue municipal. LOVELY!

Day 19 Tapia de Casariego - Lourenzá, 40,49 km, 07:45:43. Albergue municipal.

Day 20 Lourenzá - Vilalba, 46,71 km, 09:19:31. Private Albergue Turistico Castelos.

Day 21 Vilalba - Carbadello, 31,34 km, 06:56:05 Private Albergue Witericus Casa Rual a little bit of route, LOVELY!

Day 22 Carbadello - Sobrado dos Monxes - 31,72 km 05:44:30. Monasterio albergue.

Day 23 Sobrado dos Monxes - Pedrouzo - 41,24 km, 07:32:13 Pension Una Estrella Dorada.

Day 24 Pedrouzo - Santiago de Compostela - 19,92 km 03:15:48. Seminario Menor.

My stages in 2016 (copied from my blog so some unnecessary details):

Day 1, Biarritz (airport) - Irún, 41 km 11:27:19. Albergue municipal.

Day 2 Irún - Gran Camping Zarauts 44 km (about 11 h, GPS watched died after 40 km). Private alberuge at Gran Camping Zarautz.

Day 3 Gran Camping Zarautz - Eremita del Calvario 31,55 km, 07:51:33. Private albergue in Eremita del Calvario.

Day 4 Eremita del Calvario - Mendata, 38,95 km, 09:15:05. Albergue municipal of route in Mandata.

Day 5 Mandata-Bilbao 37,87 km, 08:33:21. Albergue municipal.

Day 6 Bilbao - Castro Urdiales 45,2 km, 09:20:56 Albergue municipal.

Day 7 Castro-Urdiales - Noja 38,32 km, 08:07:52. Private alberge Noja Aventura Turistico Albergue (got a food poisoning there) .

Day 8 Noja - Santander 37,88 km (32,4 km without ferry), 09:35:59. Albergue municipal.

Day 9 Santander - Cóbreces 45,05 km, 08:58:42. Monasterio albergue.

Day 10 Cóbreces - Colombres 38,81 km, 08:23:26. Private Colombres Albergue turistico.

Day 11 Colombres - Poo 29,19 km, 06:24:31. Private Albergue Llanes in Playa Poo Turistico.

Day 12 Poo - San Esteban de Leces 34,76 km 08:03:10. Albergue municipal..

Day 13 San Esteban de Leces - Villaviciosa 35,96 km, 07:19:23. Private Albergue Villaviscosia Turistico.

Day 14 Villaviciosa - Gijón 31,54 km, 06:53:35. Hotel Costa verde.

Day 15 Gijón - San Martín de Laspra 32,77 km, 06:07:00 Private albergue San Martín de Laspra.

Day 16 San Martín de Laspra - Soto de Luiña 31,68 km, 05:39:13. Albergue municipal.

Day 17, Soto de Luiña - Luarca 35,98 km, 06:59:03. Hotel Báltico.

Day 18 Luarca - Tapia de Casariego 41,93 km, 08:10:29. Albergue municipal. LOVELY!

Day 19 Tapia de Casariego - Lourenzá, 40,49 km, 07:45:43. Albergue municipal.

Day 20 Lourenzá - Vilalba, 46,71 km, 09:19:31. Private Albergue Turistico Castelos.

Day 21 Vilalba - Carbadello, 31,34 km, 06:56:05 Private Albergue Witericus Casa Rual a little bit of route, LOVELY!

Day 22 Carbadello - Sobrado dos Monxes - 31,72 km 05:44:30. Monasterio albergue.

Day 23 Sobrado dos Monxes - Pedrouzo - 41,24 km, 07:32:13 Pension Una Estrella Dorada.

Day 24 Pedrouzo - Santiago de Compostela - 19,92 km 03:15:48. Seminario Menor.
You are too fast for me! I prefer 20-30 km per day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just asking out of curiosity.

Hi trecile, I posted this somewhere else once, hope it helps.
Jill

The Norte. I walked from 8 Oct to 20 Nov 2016. The places I stayed:

Irun, Albergue Capitan Tximista

Pasajes de San Juan, Albergue de Peregrinos

San Sebastian, A Room In The City (dorm beds in hostel)

Zarautz, Albergue Gran Camping

Deba, Albergue de Peregrinos

Markina, Albergue Pitis

Gernika, Youth Hostel

Zamudio, Hotel Artea-Errota (looks expensive, but 3 of us shared a triple room for 21 euros each including breakfast)

Portugalete, Albergue Bide Ona

Castro Urdiales, Pension La Mar (had a rest day - the albergue was open at the far end of town)

Castro Urdiales, Pension La Mar

Laredo, Albergue Casa Trinidad

Guemes, La Cabana del Abuelo Peuto (donativo albergue, including dinner and breakfast)

Santa Cruz, Albergue Nimon

Santillana del Mar, Hospidaje Santillana (a buddy had double-booked hotel rooms so we helped her out by taking the second booking)

Cobreces, Posada Las Mananitas (bed and breakfast for 24 euros each)

Comillas, Abba Golf Apt (great value – a 3 bedroom apartment for 14 euros each)

San Vicente, Apt Rincon del Puerto (a 2-bedroom apartment for 22 euros each)

Unquera, Hotel Canal (a triple room for 16.50 euros each)

Llanes, Youth Hostel

Villahormes, Albergue Punta Pestana

San Esteban, Albergue de Peregrinos

Colunga, Hotel Las Vegas (a triple room for 17 euros each)

Villaviciosa, Albergue Congreso

Cabuenes, Albergue Camping Deva

Aviles, Albergue de Peregrinos

Muros, Apartment La Flor (a 2-bedroom apartment for 22 euros each)

Soto de Luina, Albergue de Peregrinos

Cadavedo, Albergue Covi y Peter

Luarca, Albergue Villa de Luarca

Luarca, Albergue Villa de Luarca

Navia, Pension Cantabrico (a triple room for 15 euros each)

Tol, Albergue de Peregrinos

Ribadeo, Albergue de Peregrinos

San Xusto, Albergue de Peregrinos

Mondonedo, Hostal Padornelo (a single room for 24 euros including breakfast)

Gontan, Albergue de Peregrinos

Vilalba, Albergue de Peregrinos

Baamonde, Albergue de Peregrinos

Miraz, Albergue O'Abrigo

Sobrado, Albergue de Peregrinos

Boimorto, Albergue de Peregrinos

Pedrouzo, Albergue Cruceiro

Jill

Day 1, Irún - Orio 40 km, Private albergue San Martin

Day 2 Orio - Deba 30 km, albergue municipal.

Day 3 Deba - Zenarruza 31 km, monasterio.

Day 4 Zenarruza - Larrabetzu 36 km, albergue municipal.

Day 5 Larrabetzu - Portugalete 26 km, albergue municipal.

Day 6 Portugalete - Castro Urdiales 38 km, albergue municipal.

Day 7 Castro-Urdiales - Santoña 30 km, private albergue.

Day 8 Santoña - Santander 37 km, albergue municipal.

Day 9 Santander - Caborredondo 40 km, private albergue.

Day 10 Caborredondo - Serdio 35 km, albergue municipal.

Day 11 Serdio - Celorio 38 km, private albergue.

Day 12 Celorio - San Esteban de Leces 32 km, albergue municipal..

Day 13 San Esteban de Leces - Tornón 33 km, private albergue.

Day 14 Tornón - Gijón 32 km + autobus to Aviles (no reasonable sleeping options in Gijon), albergue municipal.

Day 15 Aviles - Soto de Luiña 39 km, albergue municipal.

Day 16 Soto de Luiña - Luarca 36 km, private albergue.

Day 17 Luarca - A Caridá 29 km, albergue municipal.

Day 18 A Caridá - Ribadeo 25 km albergue municipal.

Day 19 Ribadeo - Modoñedo 37 km, albergue municipal.

Day 20 Mondoñedo - Vilalba 36 km, private albergue.

Day 21 Vilalba - Miraz 37 km, albergue de peregrinos.

Day 22 Miraz - Boimorto 36 km, albergue municipal.

Day 23 Boimorto - Monte de Gozo 38 km, albergue polaco.

Day 24 Monte de Gozo - Santiago de Compostela 5 km.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all your contributions. I'm hoping to complete the Norte in about 33 days so that I have a few extra days for my Finisterre walk or whatever else comes up. :) I'm impressed with those who did it in 24 days! I don't really see myself regularly doing 40 km days though. I think that my longest stage on the Frances was about 35 km.

We are all different. Good luck with planning your Camino.

@BeatriceKarjalainen is famous in this forum for her endurance and skill to do lots of 30km+ days :) It's so amazing! The list was actually very useful for me, as I can probably split all those stages exactly in the middle and have an awesome snail pace!

I have not gone yet, but hey, thanks for all this info, it's great!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@BeatriceKarjalainen is famous in this forum for her endurance and skill to do lots of 30km+ days :) It's so amazing! The list was actually very useful for me, as I can probably split all those stages exactly in the middle and have an awesome snail pace!

I have not gone yet, but hey, thanks for all this info, it's great!
I can handle the 30 km days. It's the multiple 40+ km days that are beyond me!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.