• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What worked and what didn't -- SJPDP to Finisterre, Sep 15

Obilix

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances and Finisterre (2015), Portuguese and Finisterre (2016), Primitivo (2019)
You know that time when you start writing about something, and when you look up you've written 6500 words? Yeah, that.

I started in SJPDP late August, and finished in Finisterre at the start of October. Apparently I had a bit to say about my gear! I ended up covering every item I took and how well it worked or didn't, plus a few comments about things I wish I'd taken (very few) and things I'm glad I left behind (a few more).

Here you go -- hope it's useful to a few people!

[Note from a moderator: Hope you don't mind but I saw that people were still having trouble seeing the link so I bolded and italicized it. Great lists, thanks, Laurie]

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is there a link to the review ? Or can I not see wood for trees ?

Is there a link to the review ? Or can I not see wood for trees ?

Hah -- I linked it to a few words in the first sentence, but if you missed it, many others will too! I've changed it to be clearer now. ;-)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I loved your list and assessments. Nice to read advice that's so straightforward. Whenever I encounter a knowitall I head elsewhere, but I read yours through to the end.

I highly recommend it to those in the planning stages.

I loved your list and assessments. Nice to read advice that's so straightforward. Whenever I encounter a knowitall I head elsewhere, but I read yours through to the end.

I highly recommend it to those in the planning stages.

Thanks so much, Bill -- I appreciate the kind words!

great info, well written, helpful. Thank you for making the effort to assist others.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A really nice article and some good advice and feedback!

The few things I'd personally change or do differently:

I have not seen any evidence that a silk sleep sack repels bedbugs.
I use large safety pins instead of clothes pins (pegs) for hanging my wet stuff - keeps them a bit more safe from wind (and people)
Personally, I wouldn't bother with a leatherman.
I use a slice of hand-washing landry soap in a bar instead of liquid. Lighter and less likely to spill inside my pack.
I also use a slice of shampoo bar for showering and shampooing for the same reason.
I don't take chargers, cords, etc. Just my iPhone and one cord.
I don't take a book to read. Instead, I talk to people or sleep or see the sites.

But based on personal preference, a very good list, imo!

I use a slice of hand-washing landry soap in a bar instead of liquid. Lighter and less likely to spill inside my pack.
I also use a slice of shampoo bar for showering and shampooing for the same reason.

Annie, I'm curious. I've found that the Liggetts bar does just about as well as anything for hand washing clothes, too. Is there something in particular you don't like about it? I agree that it's not great on things like clothes you've worn while sliding down a wet hill, but in my experience, neither is anything else short of a washing machine.

Annie, I'm curious. I've found that the Liggetts bar does just about as well as anything for hand washing clothes, too. Is there something in particular you don't like about it? I agree that it's not great on things like clothes you've worn while sliding down a wet hill, but in my experience, neither is anything else short of a washing machine.

Some years I use the Liggetts bar for my hair and body.
Some years I don't - it depends on my health and how sensitive I am at the time to the perfume.

I don't use it for clothing because I have found it leaves a white film on my clothes.
I usually wait until I get to Spain and go to the store and buy a cold water clothes washing bar and split it into 4ths.
I then share the rest with other pilgrims as it is easy to find along the Camino.
It's made for washing clothes in cold water and works better for me.
It's also unscented.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You know that time when you start writing about something, and when you look up you've written 6500 words? Yeah, that.
I started in SJPDP late August, and finished in Finisterre at the start of October. Apparently I had a bit to say about my gear! I ended up covering every item I took and how well it worked or didn't, plus a few comments about things I wish I'd taken (very few) and things I'm glad I left behind (a few more).
Clear, considered, and refreshingly adequate in it's simplicity.
A welcome addition to our knowledge pool.
Regards
Gerard

Thanks, Annie. I haven't noticed the white film, but perhaps the water here and in France (haven't walked in Spain) is harder/softer/whatever.

It does take a lot of rinsing though.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Great list, especially from a newbie. It looks like what it took me three Caminos to recognize. Good for you for recognizing it early on. Typically, I started each of my three Caminos with a 48L rucksack, overloaded, of course. By the time I got halfway to Sanitago, I typically mailed about 6 kg down the road to Ivar in Santiago.

On my most recent pilgrimage, I realized that my 48L rucksack was only about 2/3 full by the time I arrived at the Pilgrim Office. So, while in Santiago, I bought a very good Millet (FR) 30 L rucksack in a bright, electric blue color (for visibility). THAT is going to be my packing target for my next Camino...30 L, with NO DANGLY BITS on the outside...

Thanks for your concise assessment of the gear you used. I am sure it will help a lot of current and intending pilgrims. You are correct, as many of us took longer to discover, that "less is more."

Thanks again!

Hah -- I linked it to a few words in the first sentence, but if you missed it, many others will too! I've changed it to be clearer now. ;-)
I
I would love to read your report...I also walked from mid August to early October. but....I can't see the link..

Very nice job, you have covered everything that matters when packing the backpack. Thank you for sharing!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I
I would love to read your report...I also walked from mid August to early October. but....I can't see the link..

Hi Martha, I too had a hard time finding the link and then I saw it.
Fourth line, the woords "here you go" that is the link.

Great list, especially from a newbie. It looks like what it took me three Caminos to recognize. Good for you for recognizing it early on. Typically, I started each of my three Caminos with a 48L rucksack, overloaded, of course. By the time I got halfway to Sanitago, I typically mailed about 6 kg down the road to Ivar in Santiago.

On my most recent pilgrimage, I realized that my 48L rucksack was only about 2/3 full by the time I arrived at the Pilgrim Office. So, while in Santiago, I bought a very good Millet (FR) 30 L rucksack in a bright, electric blue color (for visibility). THAT is going to be my packing target for my next Camino...30 L, with NO DANGLY BITS on the outside...

Thanks for your concise assessment of the gear you used. I am sure it will help a lot of current and intending pilgrims. You are correct, as many of us took longer to discover, that "less is more."

Thanks again!

In my opinion, you should choose the size of pack first and then force yourself to make marginal decisions about what can be sacrificed at home even before you reach SJPP - for the most popular time of the year (May-Aug) you could think about 30L max - I've got my pack size down to 12L since I carry no spare shoes and a sleeping bag liner instead of a sleeping bag but that's rather extreme - and most of the space is taken up with two large bottles of Aquarius along the Norte

I hadn't seen the Hoboroll before this, thanks for sharing this. The list, photos, and links are helpful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for sharing nice list, what was your total pack weight? Just curious

Zzotte

Thanks for sharing nice list, what was your total pack weight? Just curious

Zzotte

I mentioned it in the post, but it's easy to miss. ;) My pack weighed 7kg, without water.

Thanks, that's very good I think I can do that :)

[Note from a moderator: Hope you don't mind but I saw that people were still having trouble seeing the link so I bolded and italicized it. Great lists, thanks, Laurie]
Thanks. Nice and simple. Important list for anyone who struggles to keep the pack weight down .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.