• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What would Budda say?

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Budda was asked "What have you gained from meditation?" He replied "Nothing! However let me tell you what I have lost. Anger, anxiety, depression, insecurity, fear of old age and death.
I wonder if it is really possible to quantify what we lose and gain from our Caminos. I suppose I could start by realising that I have lost some of the past and gained a more of the present and future. I think I have gained being at peace and at one with myself.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"Change your thoughts and your actions will follow;" I've always found that long backpacking trips give me an excellent opportunity to think, to sort things out, to gain perspective/insights and to count my blessings (and make new friends of course). Your life is simplified: stay dry, get something to eat, get some sleep and make your miles; perfect for eliminating the noise of daily life. I imagine that for those on a religious pilgrimage, those opportunities for reflection might be a major bit of why they choose to go. For me, long trips are an opportunity to celebrate life.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One thing I "lost" on my Camino was my interest in TV. Even shows I loved to watch before seem trivial now. I now enjoy spending quality time with my wife, taking walks, or even just playing a simple card game. I guess when you go for 30+ days without something, you realize just how little you really need it :)

These three Buddha quotes seem most appropriate.

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.”
“Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.”

On my caminos I have experienced the joy of serendipity and relearned the importance of personal tenacity and endurance. Most importantly I have sensed the necessity for sincerity in all human interactions and have been privileged to experience the overwhelming power of true caritas, that special spirit of unconditional selfless love towards others as offered by some to many along the way....May we all be so caring and generous.

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
When my good friend and fellow pilgrim mocked me (I had woken with a scream when water dropped on my head when I was in deep siesta) a picture of the Buddha fell on him. Not sure of thr meaning of this or what Buddha was saying ...

I'll post this again it's on here somewhere but no harm to remind myself. This book has sat in my bedside locker for years. When I went to walk my first Camino in 2011 I took the book out to look up some inspiring quotes and guess what I found.
To know the Way
We go the Way;
We do the Way The Way we do The Things we do.
It's all there in front of you,
But if you try too hard to see it, You'll only become Confused.
I am me, And you are you, As you can see;
But when you do
The things that you can do,
You will find the Way,
And the Way will follow you.
"The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff. 1982
The Way has sure followed me.

Or he might quote St. John of the Cross:

• My Beloved is the mountains,
    The solitary wooded valleys,
    The strange islands,
    The roaring torrents,
    The whisper of the amorous gales;
    The tranquil night
    At the approaches of the dawn,
    The silent music,
    The murmuring solitude,
    The supper which revives, and enkindles love.
    ~ 14 & 15

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have told it before, but I'll repeat it:

A brain surgeon and an astronaut were discussing the presence of a God, and the astronaut said: "I have been farther out into the Universe than any other man, but I have never seen any God".

The brain surgeon replied; "I have been operating deeper into the human brain than any other person, but I have never seen a thought".

Think about it...;)

There are things you cannot see, but do they exist...?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buddha, enlightenment, St John of the Cross, wise and thoughtful words indeed.

With respect to countless others, I offer my own words, so if you don't like the sentiment, I'm to blame:(

We can learn
and continue to learn
when we learn to listen
and continue to listen
to others.

We can find true happiness
not when we search
for it
for it is
in giving
and sharing
and understanding others

We can see
and see clearly
and continue to see
when we choose
to look
through the eyes of others.

We can give thanks,
for our life
and in thanking
give thanks
for all life
for family
for friends
for the wind
of the butterfly's wings
on our face.

Buddha, enlightenment, St John of the Cross, wise and thoughtful words indeed.

With respect to countless others, I offer my own words, so if you don't like the sentiment, I'm to blame:(
Hola John - I hope you do not mind, but I have taken a copy of your "thoughts" and will carry it with me when I return to the Camino later this year. Thanks for enlightening your fellow pilgrims. Cheers:):cool:

Wasnt Buddha that said bearing a grudge was like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die?

A lesson that sadly I wish someone close to me had learnt while I was on the Salvador.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.