• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino What would u do? Nice Spaniard says drink from fountain but sign says “Agua no es para consumir”

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
So day 1 I head out of Irun beginning my trek on the Norte. I started up a hill, it was taxing. Anyways, after about 4-5k I find myself at a pleasant church with a miraculous view, and I sit down at a bench for a deserved rest.

I pull out my water bottle and proceed to drink away. I also pulled out an orange and ate it.

After the orange was eaten, and 3/4 of my water was consumed, I walked to the fountain along the path in front of the church.

That’s when I saw an official looking sign that said, “…no es para consumir…” Yikes!

So I walk back to my spot on the bench and it’s obvious I’ve been watched. The Peregrino on the next bench over points to the fountain. I couldn’t understand exactly what he was saying.

Then, what I would describe as a “local” bike rider also pointed to the fountain. He said he drinks the water every day and it’s fine.

I was reticent. They could tell. The bike rider was kind though, and he insisted the water was good, “pero no tratrada”… he drinks it everyday!

So I listened politely and then left along the way.

I won’t drink from a fountain that says “no consumir” no matter what the locals say.

Is this the right or wrong decision?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is the right decision if you have another water supply. It is the wrong decision if you are risking dehydration. I would drink the rest of my bottle, fill it up, and dump it when I found another source.
Having done the exact same leg the previous year I knew there was a source that seemed reputable up the hill. It was like a municipal water station, pump station of some sort.

But this year I think the sign was gone, or I missed it.

Luckily it was like 55 degrees Fahrenheit today, so I wasn’t sweating profusely. Water turned out to be no concern.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So day 1 I head out of Irun beginning my trek on the Norte. I started up a hill, it was taxing. Anyways, after about 4-5k I find myself at a pleasant church with a miraculous view, and I sit down at a bench for a deserved rest.

I pull out my water bottle and proceed to drink away. I also pulled out an orange and ate it.

After the orange was eaten, and 3/4 of my water was consumed, I walked to the fountain along the path in front of the church.

That’s when I saw an official looking sign that said, “…no es para consumir…” Yikes!

So I walk back to my spot on the bench and it’s obvious I’ve been watched. The Peregrino on the next bench over points to the fountain. I couldn’t understand exactly what he was saying.

Then, what I would describe as a “local” bike rider also pointed to the fountain. He said he drinks the water every day and it’s fine.

I was reticent. They could tell. The bike rider was kind though, and he insisted the water was good, “pero no tratrada”… he drinks it everyday!

I won’t drink from a fountain that says “no consumir” no matter what the locals say.

Hi pilgrims,

Ayuntamientos (Town Council) have the obligation of take care about all waters in their territory.
Small ayuntamientos don´t have money enough for control all fountains in their territory.
Tap water is analyzed every day, but other waters are not or they do controls in long time.
When they know water is not potable they put the sign.
If they only have suspictions, they put the sign too.
When they don´t treat a determinate fountains they put the sign.

This is the way Ayuntamientos elude civil demands.

At the end, tap water is the only with guaranties.
May be the local bike rider knew that water was potable for him.

Ultreia¡

Hi pilgrims,

Ayuntamientos (Town Council) have the obligation of take care about all waters in their territory.
Small ayuntamientos don´t have money enough for control all fountains in their territory.
Tap water is analyzed every day, but other waters are not or they do controls in long time.
When they know water is not potable they put the sign.
If they only have suspictions, they put the sign too.
When they don´t treat a determinate fountains they put the sign.

This is the way Ayuntamientos elude civil demands.

At the end, tap water is the only with guaranties.

Ultreia¡
OK, that is VERY good information and makes sense. I though it was really a high risk drinking of the signs are up. But if it is as you describe and the locals drink it, I would not hesitate at all.
All the water I consume at home is not at all controlled. We have our own individual water supply, drilled decades ago.
I would however try to avoid drinking it if I could get no information from the locals.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Although the water is probably safe, you have to remember that a "local" drinks water which they are used to and probably have the right bacteria to handle it. You may not. Like someone said, if you were dehydrated to the point of worry, I'd drink it. But, otherwise no. It's the same reason that people get sick eating very good food in another country. Each country and populace has their own mix of bacteria based on local conditions. When you go into a new area, you may not have the right mix. That said, Spain in general has some of the best water supplies around.

That was the right decision. Local people grew up with that fountain and the people in that region are used to the organisms that live in the local natural water supplies. But your body is not. So, you were right to avoid drinking that water.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In 2018 on the Francés, I started out drinking tap and fountain water. But was continually experiencing gastrointestinal problems. Finally decided it must be the water, so I switched to bottled only and all my discomfort cleared up. At home, I never buy bottled water, but desperate times ...

Yes!!!! That is why I didn’t drink it! Emphasis on “for him”!

He said he drinks it everyday! In my imagination I was thinking for years and years and years! He’s probably/maybe developed an immune response to the water if it is somewhat tainted - so of course it’s fine “for him”! The water may have been perfect on the other hand, given previous explanations it might just be procedural BS.

I’ve learned to be somewhat tentative with water sources and since then I haven’t gotten diarrhea like I used to before… I’ll leave it at that.

I love filling my water bottle and smelling the subtle hint of chlorine.

Last edited:
Sawyer Squeeze - cheap, light, and it works.
I know I know but there are so many water sources on the Camino that are completely legit I think that a Peregrino just needs to learn to discriminate.

BTW- on my back country jaunts in the Sierras I have used a Steripen rather than a Sawyer. Just faster. Never broke down or failed in about 70 days of use. YMMV.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So is this your way of telling us you are back on the camino AGAIN and walking the Norte? I’ve added a live prefix, in the hopes that you will tell us more!

Buen camino, @Damien Reynolds!
Not intended to tell anyone I am on the Camino again. But I am on the Camino again nevertheless.

More just like trying to share practical info for anyone who is interested.

In 2018 on the Francés, I started out drinking tap and fountain water. But was continually experiencing gastrointestinal problems. Finally decided it must be the water, so I switched to bottled only and all my discomfort cleared up. At home, I never buy bottled water, but desperate times ...
I have walked multiple Caminos and drank nothing but tap and fountain water while doing them. Untold litres of it. Never had any gastrointestinal problems. Spain is a first world country with modern water purification for its populace. The plastic bottled water may have had a placebo effect on you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Spain is a first world country with modern water purification for its populace.
Doesn’t apply to random cow pasture fountains or mysterious pipes protruding from a mountainside.

Edit: in my opinion anything you have to press a button (or knob, whatever) to start the flow means the water is precious and has been treated. If it is just flowing free like, I wouldn’t trust it.

Edit 2: oh shit, remember to look for a sign that says don’t drink, because sometimes even those have buttons. (As was the case in the original story).

Last edited:
Damien,

Your post reminded me of some advice a veteran Camino hiker gave me when I was training for my first camino. She said “always take two bottles of water; 32 oz carried in the backpack rear pocket, and a smaller bottle 16-20 oz carried in a bottle holder in the front. Only drink from the water bottle in the front. That way when you encounter a pilgrim looking for water, you can safely share from the large bottle.

I took her advice; and people I met alone the way were grateful.

Damien,

Your post reminded me of some advice a veteran Camino hiker gave me when I was training for my first camino. She said “always take two bottles of water; 32 oz carried in the backpack rear pocket, and a smaller bottle 16-20 oz carried in a bottle holder in the front. Only drink from the water bottle in the front. That way when you encounter a pilgrim looking for water, you can safely share from the large bottle.

I took her advice; and people I met alone the way were grateful.
No one has ever asked me for water. Seriously, good water is not like hard to find.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Drinking water which might not be safe for a non-local, to avoid dehydration, might have the opposite effect … the quickest way way to dehydrate is to develop diarrhoea …

Some tiny silver tablets weigh nothing and can provide peace of mind in situations like the OP’s.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Doesn’t apply to random cow pasture fountains or mysterious pipes protruding from a mountainside.

Edit: in my opinion anything you have to press a button (or knob, whatever) to start the flow means the water is precious and has been treated. If it is just flowing free like, I wouldn’t trust it.

Edit 2: oh shit, remember to look for a sign that says don’t drink, because sometimes even those have buttons. (As was the case in the original story).
"I started out drinking tap and fountain water"
That was the comment I was referring to in my comment. Tap water would obviously be from typical albergue sinks and such, which is treated water from the local sources just as in any other modern country. The fountains on the Frances (which is the route being discussed in that comment) aren't pipes protruding from the side of hills, etc and I have seen those on the Frances and elsewhere and are not actually fountains but are drain pipes. Diverted water from rain and snow melt. Nothing mysterious. Flood control of sorts. Drinking out of those without first treating the water would not be wise. Be no different that drinking out of a ditch next to the road or a stream or river and to drink it would fall into the category of making walking the Camino more hazardous than it has to be. To work really hard at getting oneself hurt. Like the foolish that try to walk over the Pyrenees in the middle of snowstorms.
I never saw any actual fountains in cattle pastures on the Frances. One does see quite a few troughs and the like for livestock which quite often have a water source to them and a float setup for refill. The water the livestock drinks may or may not be treated. Any water source for those troughs should probably considered non-potable.
052.JPGEl Camino 10 006.jpg
These are the typical free flowing, sometimes unmarked fountains (probably from an underground aquifer) in places along the Frances. Is the water potable or not? I do not know. I never drank from them because there was actual local tap water nearby (as is on the entire Frances). I have used them to cool off on hot days. Splash the cold water on my face and head. Wet down my cap and put it back on. I would guess though that over the decades those free flowing fountains in the photos have been there, there have been a lot of locals that drank from them with no ill effects.

"I started out drinking tap and fountain water"
That was the comment I was referring to in my comment. Tap water would obviously be from typical albergue sinks and such, which is treated water from the local sources just as in any other modern country. The fountains on the Frances (which is the route being discussed in that comment) aren't pipes protruding from the side of hills, etc and I have seen those on the Frances and elsewhere and are not actually fountains but are drain pipes. Diverted water from rain and snow melt. Nothing mysterious. Flood control of sorts. Drinking out of those without first treating the water would not be wise. Be no different that drinking out of a ditch next to the road or a stream or river and to drink it would fall into the category of making walking the Camino more hazardous than it has to be. To work really hard at getting oneself hurt. Like the foolish that try to walk over the Pyrenees in the middle of snowstorms.
I never saw any actual fountains in cattle pastures on the Frances. One does see quite a few troughs and the like for livestock which quite often have a water source to them and a float setup for refill. The water the livestock drinks may or may not be treated. Any water source for those troughs should probably considered non-potable.
View attachment 123461View attachment 123462
These are the typical free flowing, sometimes unmarked fountains (probably from an underground aquifer) in places along the Frances. Is the water potable or not? I do not know. I never drank from them because there was actual local tap water nearby (as is on the entire Frances). I have used them to cool off on hot days. Splash the cold water on my face and head. Wet down my cap and put it back on. I would guess though that over the decades those free flowing fountains in the photos have been there, there have been a lot of locals that drank from them with no ill effects.
Sounds like we agree!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back