• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Would You Do If You Lost It?*

Wokabaut_Meri

somewhere along the Way
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2015
Pilgrims Way 2018
Via Francigena #1 Canterbury-Dover 2018
In recent days there have been a few posts on this Forum about death and dying. My heartfelt thoughts go out to all who are walking this final Camino or are accompanying another upon it. I have traveled the latter path so many times over the last few years...

One of my Buddhist teachers taught me that while the fact of your death is certain, the time of your death is unknown... (you had) better then prepare for Death...

This is a gentle reminder that, as part of our many Camino preparations, we should think about the possibility of injury or death and make arrangements in case of either eventuality. A different kind of checklist.

Here's a checklist that I review before every trip overseas (links are to Australian resources but there would be similar services available in most countries):
  1. Review my Will contents and Executors and Power of Attorney contact details.
  2. Review Organ and Tissue Donation Authority, Medical Power of Attorney and/or Advance Care Directive if applicable, keeping in mind that they may not be legally binding overseas but will still provide a guide.
  3. Review and update contact details in the back of my passport. Listed are my next of kin (often travelling with me) as well as people who are my Powers of Attorney and Executors of my Will and my Medical Powers of Attorney.
  4. Register my travel plans with DFAT Smartraveller. For the Camino I put in a start date with known accommodation and then end date accommodation and also kept a copy of my rough itinerary in my passport.
  5. Look up contact details for the embassies/consulates in the relevant countries and add to travel phone as well as keep a copy with my travel documents.
  6. Review medical and travel cover (if applicable) and ensure that the coverage is for the intended country, length and type of trip and that I have read ALL the fine print ie terms and conditions. Believe me, this is important.
  7. Discuss with my family what my wishes are if I am injured or die on the Camino and what my travel insurance would cover for a family member/s to travel to Spain. Having assisted some friends with instances of both death and injury overseas this discussion means that the process is that little bit easier for all involved.
  8. Having planned for the worst, relax and hope for the best!

*What would you do if you lost it? once spoken by a Buddhist Rinpoche the words became the title of a poem for Allen Ginsberg while recovering from a broken leg. Twenty years before his death, the Buddhist Beat Bard had already begun to say goodbye...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Beautifully put WokabautMeri. Who knows? We think we'll live to go to bed at night but truly, who knows? That's not morbid just the way it is.
Today I've been thinking about the Hungarian peregrino who just died. He probably had no idea that he was as ill as he was. He probably thought he could just walk the discomfort off. "It'll get better" and "not me" can be such deceptive thoughts. And I've been asking myself if I'd have kept going too. Quite possibly. Sobering thoughts.

So thank you for the good and very practical (and detailed) advice. It could be any of us.

Beautifully put WokabautMeri. Who knows? We think we'll live to go to bed at night but truly, who knows? That's not morbid just the way it is.
Today I've been thinking about the Hungarian peregrino who just died. He probably had no idea that he was as ill as he was. He probably thought he could just walk the discomfort off. "It'll get better" and "not me" can be such deceptive thoughts. And I've been asking myself if I'd have kept going too. Quite possibly. Sobering thoughts.

So thank you for the good and very practical (and detailed) advice. It could be any of us.

Thank you too. It was the death of the Hungarian pilgrim and the recent deaths of climbers on Everest which moved me to post this. It got me thinking about all the unexpected injuries and deaths that I have witnessed on my travels and the instances where I have helped friends make arrangements in similar circumstances. That little bit of preparation is such a gift in helping family and friends deal with the aftermath... and you've already said your goodbyes...

I ponder often upon the fact that the film The Way inspires so many people to walk the Camino and yet its starting point is the unexpected death of a family member.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Indeed.
And there's a story much in the news about a woman who stepped off the Appalachian Trail to relieve herself but then got hopelessly lost. She starved to death and it was 2 years before someone found her body, in spite of an extensive search. Very sad.

I had a thought on the Camino St Olav...actually off it, having taken a wrong path...if something were to happen to me right now, I'd just disappear. It was a sobering thought. A friend who works for the US Geological Survey was telling me today about a lightweight device that sends a signal via satellite that pinpoints location. No need for the Francés of course, but perhaps a good idea for people with poor senses of direction who walk remote and not well marked routes alone.

Indeed.
And there's a story much in the news about a woman who stepped off the Appalachian Trail to relieve herself but then got hopelessly lost. She starved to death and it was 2 years before someone found her body, in spite of an extensive search. Very sad.

I had a thought on the Camino St Olav...actually off it, having taken a wrong path...if something were to happen to me right now, I'd just disappear. It was a sobering thought. A friend who works for the US Geological Survey was telling me today about a lightweight device that sends a signal via satellite that pinpoints location. No need for the Francés of course, but perhaps a good idea for people with poor senses of direction who walk remote and not well marked routes alone.

Think you might mean the SPOT range of trackers that all work via satellite GPS location. We have used a SPOT Gen3 on some of our more remote walks. There is also a SPOT Connect option that pairs with your smartphone. They work all the way up Mount Everest so Spain would easily be covered.

I've been following the story of the discovery of the body of the Appalachian Trail thru-hiker. Her family are handling the situation with so much equanimity and understanding for the searchers and the conditions in which they worked and then abandoned their search.

I have a Personal Location Beacon (they have zero subscription costs) which I definitely do not take on a Camino walk. I haven't found anywhere remotely isolated enough for such complexity - maybe there is but I haven't seen it yet - and have found a mobile phone is adequate.
BTW I have a PLB because of health issues and not because I get lost, which I frequently do.
To me trying to keep my kit down to 5 kg is paramount when doing this particular walk as it makes so much more enjoyable.
Just as a thought - reviewing your will and making your wishes known in case of mishap to close ones on a regular basis is wise.
Also for those from the UK remember to bring your EHIC card (for reciprocal health treatment) and check the expiry date. Take a copy of your prescriptions for regular medications - could come in handy if you loose them and prevents problems at the border control.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Preparing for our own death is the last gift that we can give the loved ones we leave behind. Most of us attempt to prepare for old age when there is no guarantee that we will ever experience it, but many of us fail to prepare for death when that eventuality IS guaranteed.

Preparing for death, ouch!
Thank you for your great list Wokabout Meri.

Yes, Ouch indeed! The catalyst initially came many years ago with the sudden and totally unexpected death of my brother at 42 and the chaos of the medical and legal processes that followed. Locating him was the first task as his death coincided with a temporary ban on the transport of bodies by the usual means. It was an horrific time for my parents who were totally consumed by grief at the loss of their only son.

I had been volunteering for many years prior to that in a hospice so was able to understand and unravel all the legal requirements but it was a long and exhausting journey. My brother died without a will and had a partner and child and property which added another level of complexity.

I realised then - actually truly understood - that I would die one day and that I should ensure that I made dealing with the legalities as easy as possible for the people left behind.

We've also trekked a lot in remote areas and at altitude with climbing expeditions and experienced the logistics and trauma of injury and death so far from home and loved ones.

A few years ago a widowed neighbour found love again in her 70s. They were planning to marry and went on an overseas trip of a lifetime together. To break their long flight from Australia they had a stopover in Bangkok. Leaving the airport her partner tripped on the kerb getting into a taxi and hit his head. He sustained a brain injury, never regained consciousness and died months later in hospital after being repatriated home. I learnt a lot about reading the fine print of travel insurance policies from that tragic event.

So... experience can be the cruellest of teachers at times but acknowledging the fact of your death - and ensuring that the practicalities are taken care of - gifts you a remarkable freedom to live every moment of this precious Life.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
image.png Great advice
In recent days there have been a few posts on this Forum about death and dying. My heartfelt thoughts go out to all who are walking this final Camino or are accompanying another upon it. I have traveled the latter path so many times over the last few years...

One of my Buddhist teachers taught me that while the fact of your death is certain, the time of your death is unknown... (you had) better then prepare for Death...

This is a gentle reminder that, as part of our many Camino preparations, we should think about the possibility of injury or death and make arrangements in case of either eventuality. A different kind of checklist.

Here's a checklist that I review before every trip overseas (links are to Australian resources but there would be similar services available in most countries):
  1. Review my Will contents and Executors and Power of Attorney contact details.
  2. Review Organ and Tissue Donation Authority, Medical Power of Attorney and/or Advance Care Directive if applicable, keeping in mind that they may not be legally binding overseas but will still provide a guide.
  3. Review and update contact details in the back of my passport. Listed are my next of kin (often travelling with me) as well as people who are my Powers of Attorney and Executors of my Will and my Medical Powers of Attorney.
  4. Register my travel plans with DFAT Smartraveller. For the Camino I put in a start date with known accommodation and then end date accommodation and also kept a copy of my rough itinerary in my passport.
  5. Look up contact details for the embassies/consulates in the relevant countries and add to travel phone as well as keep a copy with my travel documents.
  6. Review medical and travel cover (if applicable) and ensure that the coverage is for the intended country, length and type of trip and that I have read ALL the fine print ie terms and conditions. Believe me, this is important.
  7. Discuss with my family what my wishes are if I am injured or die on the Camino and what my travel insurance would cover for a family member/s to travel to Spain. Having assisted some friends with instances of both death and injury overseas this discussion means that the process is that little bit easier for all involved.
  8. Having planned for the worst, relax and hope for the best!

*What would you do if you lost it? once spoken by a Buddhist Rinpoche the words became the title of a poem for Allen Ginsberg while recovering from a broken leg. Twenty years before his death, the Buddhist Beat Bard had already begun to say goodbye...
Great advice Wokabout_Meri!
I've added one of my favourite Peanuts cartoons which seemed (almost) relevant!! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.