• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD What would you do?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
Forgive me if you've seen this one already - I've been a bit out of touch these past three weeks with my own virus problems - not Covid (we think).

Three Irish hikers were walking in Wales when one of them was notified he was Covid positive.

Covid positive on a hike in Wales.

And it made me wonder what, if any, contingency plans had been made by members to cover a situation like this if it happened to them in rural Spain?

Be safe out there!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am considering this issue now... and have been for about a week or so. I have plans to arrive in Spain Jan 1, 2022... with a walk on the Camino de Madrid...

A positive test requires 10 days of isolated quarantine, and that is what I would have to do: find a location ASAP that I could get to.

And that's a problem that might cancel all my plans because: there can be emergency acute flare-ups at home for a beloved with a chronic health concern. If I were to test positive at the point of an attempt t o return for an emergency... well that would be an unacceptable delay... which translates to: my entire sabbatical plans are an unacceptable risk.

Therefore, at this point, I am expecting to eat the cost of my flight and simply not go. I have not yet made any accommodation commitments, so it's only a loss of plans as far as that goes.

BUT: will the WHO, CDC, and EU Health Organization, PHAC and so forth have transitioned by January to: There will never be "COVID 0", the point of vaccination was to allow for people to be exposed to and even acquire the virus without becoming ill, and we must, therefore, permit people to live without mobility restrictions. Those who refuse to be vaccinated will not be permitted, I think, by 2022 sometime, to dictate whether others can live with freedom of movement. It will be the vaccine refusers who will have to stay put. The vaccine passports are already arriving in some Canadian provinces to allow people who are fully vaccinated to go to events, travel etc. Those who refuse vaccination are going to be prevented from exposing themselves to live virus in vaccinated communities. That is the only rational way to handle things from a policy perspective. One cannot punish those who act responsibly.

All that said, rules being what they are.... if I had not at-home considerations, I would simply go to wherever I was told to go, ASAP. My personal circumstances being what they are, Spain 2022 is completely in the air and subject to cancelation at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most of the major airlines will let you refund your ticket for credit. But, before you do that, keep a watch for any schedule changes. Delta is notorious for doing these on Saturdays BTW. If your new routing is significant from what you originally booked, they have to refund the money. For example: if you booked nonstop and they change your flight to a layover somewhere, that counts. if you were to change planes with a layover in Paris and a 2 hour layover but they switch you to Frankfurt with a 6 hour layover, that counts. If the flight gets cancelled due to restrictions, that counts. Best to sit tight with that ticket and see what happens and cancel as soon as a qualifying event occurs and get your money back.

I booked several flight with Delta months ago to visit family in Denver and Seattle during September, but because several of my family member refuses to get vaccinated I canceled my trip this week and got a full refund instantly from Delta, no questions asked.
Currently I have reserved flights on TAP and Iberia in Feb/Mar 2022 from vouchers I received for bookings two years ago. I used these vouchers before they would be invalidated but there is a provision that once ome has booked a flight one can chnage the tickets. I assume the ever contant changes in Covid restricitons.will be a good excuse to make a change if I have to.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Forgive me if you've seen this one already - I've been a bit out of touch these past three weeks with my own virus problems - not Covid (we think).

Three Irish hikers were walking in Wales when one of them was notified he was Covid positive.

Covid positive on a hike in Wales.

And it made me wonder what, if any, contingency plans had been made by members to cover a situation like this if it happened to them in rural Spain?

Be safe out there!
Well, I would have done what I would do if it happened whilst travelling in the UK, (where I live), ie quarantine. What else can you do?
If I became really sick and needed to go to hospital, my insurance covers it (if my EU health card didn’t work, say).
I must admit I only dared travel because I had the two jabs, I wouldn’t have done it without it.
I don’t know what else you can plan for?
All those ‘if’ accentuate the worry, we can’t plan for every eventuality. Things happen, with or without Covid. What if I had a heart attack and died ‘in rural Spain’?
I know, it wouldn’t be my concern any more lol but what trouble for my family…

We are now in a constant state of fear (I speak for myself, I’m dreadfully afraid of this Covid virus!) but…. we have to go on living… Don’t we?

PS: I wish you a speedy recovery, sorry to hear you are unwell. Take care x

Well, I would have done what I would do if it happened whilst travelling in the UK, (where I live), ie quarantine. What else can you do?
But when you are not near your home where you can quarantine, then the issue is the same as it was for those hikers in Wales: finding a place where you can quarantine because obviously not every albergue, casa rural or hotel will take you.

From what I've read about recent cases of pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago in Galicia as well as in either Portomarín or Ponferrada (can't remember which one it was), when you test positive but are not ill enough to be taken in by a hospital, there are phone numbers to ring and you may or may not be told a place where you can stay during the quarantine period. In Galicia, Spanish pilgrims have been allowed to return home by private cars after signing an agreement with the local health authorities. Not an option for foreign pilgrims unless they have a second home or family or friends in Spain where they can stay.

PS: For me personally, getting information or being curious about what to do or what will happen when I am Covid-19 positive but not seriously ill or dead isn't the same as worrying. 😇

Last edited:
I purchased travel insurance from World Nomads that includes $2,500 in the case of needed quarantine. It includes other COVID coverage as well. This wouldn’t help someone like the OP, whose issue is the need to be home immediately, but could help others who get caught in a COVID event.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
a colleague of mine was flying from Bilbao during the week - at the testing center a group of 5 people mid 20s tested positive - they were directed into a separate room where they were given the available options for quarantine in the locality.

At the airport departing in less than hour for CDG, a blahblahcar taking us to Le Puy ( so fortunate!). Both my daughter and I are vaccinated. If we had to quarantine we’d take our hammocks off in the woods and live in the wild for two weeks…

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back