• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • āš ļø Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What would you do?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2022)
Del Norte (2022)
On March 1st I started from Rotterdam, Holland for my first camino. I hope to be in Reims, in the north of France early next week. In Reims you can change your camino from SdC to Rome, because the Via Francigina crosses the route. In my first message on this forum, I spoke of my fear that it will be busy on the camino Del Norte, due to the facts of the Holy Year and all the people who couldnā€™t walk in 2020 and 2021 (Covid), and will be walking this year. I had hoped that this forum would make my decision (should I go to SdC or to Rome?) easier, but up till now, it didnā€™t. So here is my question: what should you do?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Santiago, definitely.
But maybe not the Norte or FrancƩs.
From Irun to Santiago, here is a quieter option, a combination chosen from four different routes:
ā€¢Irun-Puebla de Arganzon on the Vasco
ā€¢Puebla de Arganzon-Aguilar de Campoo on the Viejo
ā€¢Aguilar de Campoo-Ponferrada on the Olvidado
ā€¢Ponferrada-Santiago on the Invierno.

On March 1st I started from Rotterdam, Holland for my first camino. I hope to be in Reims, in the north of France early next week. In Reims you can change your camino from SdC to Rome, because the Via Francigina crosses the route. In my first message on this forum, I spoke of my fear that it will be busy on the camino Del Norte, due to the facts of the Holy Year and all the people who couldnā€™t walk in 2020 and 2021 (Covid), and will be walking this year. I had hoped that this forum would make my decision (should I go to SdC or to Rome?) easier, but up till now, it didnā€™t. So here is my question: what should you do?

Wow Jos! You already covered some distances! Hope all went well till now?

@VNwalking has some great suggestions.

All the best and " veel moed "!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I personally would finish the Camino via whichever route you chose. My main reason if if I am going to do the Via Fancigena - I want to start that in Canterberry and go all the way! Ialso - not sure of the exact timeline - but I think you would still reach Santiago before the biggest crowds. Maybe? But whichever you choose - I am sure it will be a great experience regardless.

I think I would consider first whether the Gd St Bernard pass is ā€˜passableā€™ when you arrive, which is between July and September.
@timr has written a guide about crossing the pass, it is in the Via Francigena section. (I canā€™t remember how to include links, sorry)

Jensink,

Reims is in the Marne dƩpartement.
An association of hikers and pilgrims exists for this area, Randonneurs et Pelerins 51. You can read more about their aims and the pilgrimage routes from Reims here in their Web.

Members of this association volunteer in the Pilgrim office in Reims cathedral

One most gracious and generous aspect of this association is their chaƮne d'hospitalitƩ. By using this you can stay in family homes offering simple hospitality ie bed and board to pilgrims walking in dƩpartment 51.

Wherever you do choose to walk Carpe diem .

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I believe the time of year coupled with weather conditions would easily assist in making this decision.
Either way both are beautiful. Enjoy your hike!

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.