• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What would you walk/skip on Le Puy route?

rsmith0000

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013) Frances (2014) St. Oswald's Way (2015) Le Puy (2016) Portugues (2018)
Hello, friends,
I'm trying to figure out what to walk and what to skip, toward the end of the Via Podiensis.

I have heard there's a four-day stretch of flat farmland from Aire-sur-l'Adour to Navarrenx that is especially monotonous. I could walk it anyway and continue on to Saint-Jean-Pied-De-Port -- or I could skip that section (assuming I can get a bus or taxi in Aire-sur-l'Adour) and jump ahead to Navarrenx and continue from there to Saint-Jean and end in Pamplona.

Could anyone advise? It's easiest and cheapest to walk a continuous route, of course, but I missed the stretch from Saint-Jean to Pamplona on an earlier camino, due to snow, and have always wondered what it's like to walk through those mountains. I don't know how tedious the piece after Aire-sur-l'Adour actually is. I welcome your thoughts. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's a tough one, because unlike the Frances, there are no sections that cry out to be skipped, or at least could be viewed as obviously of less interest -- like the Meseta or the final stretch from Sarria, if you hate crowds. The section you mention is somewhat flatter, and there's lots of cornfields, so it might very well be your best bet. But it's far from ugly. Do check out transportation options, because unlike in Spain, you're not following the main axis of transportation. I think Claudine Transport, which does baggage transport in the second half of the Le Puy route, also offers a pilgrim transport. https://m.claudine32.com/

Another thought is just go onto Roncesvalles from SJPDP, which is what the French consider as the end of the Le Puy route anyway, and skip the following two sections into Pamplona. To me, walking by cornfields is at least as pleasant as walking into a big city like Pamplona. That way, you'd still have a continuous walk and you'd get to cross the Pyrenees. And after walking a month, doing the SJPDP - Roncesvalles stretch in one day won't be that great a challenge. If you follow this suggestion, you'd only need to "horde" one day. Maybe you could, for example, hit Le Puy itself on the fly and start walking as soon as you get there (or after taking a quick tour of the town).

Overall, I agree with SYates below.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another thought is just go onto Roncesvalles, which is what the French consider as the end of the Le Puy route,
The Camino Navarra started at Ostabat on many travel guides/maps at least until a few years ago, so the Via Podienses did not necessarily end at Roncevaux. I don't have a clue what the French "consider," I confess (on this and many other subjects), so I am just nit picking!!:)

I think it was around La Romieu that the Pyrenees became visible if they weren't obscured by clouds. It was exciting for me to see those distant mountains grow larger as my days of walking carried me towards them. As I got closer I scoured the ridgelines for the place I thought the Camino might cross them and lead me into Spain. So I am glad I covered that portion of the Via Podiensis.

On the other hand, I have really enjoyed my four stays in Pamplona, so maybe your notion to skip ahead has merit if it provides a few days in that city.

Life seems frequently to be about tradeoffs, or so it seems to me. ;)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, friends,
I'm trying to figure out what to walk and what to skip, toward the end of the Via Podiensis.

I have heard there's a four-day stretch of flat farmland from Aire-sur-l'Adour to Navarrenx that is especially monotonous. I could walk it anyway and continue on to Saint-Jean-Pied-De-Port -- or I could skip that section (assuming I can get a bus or taxi in Aire-sur-l'Adour) and jump ahead to Navarrenx and continue from there to Saint-Jean and end in Pamplona.

Could anyone advise? It's easiest and cheapest to walk a continuous route, of course, but I missed the stretch from Saint-Jean to Pamplona on an earlier camino, due to snow, and have always wondered what it's like to walk through those mountains. I don't know how tedious the piece after Aire-sur-l'Adour actually is. I welcome your thoughts. Thanks.
We did Via Podiensis in 2018 - and although I would not recommend walking in France in August and yes, there were flat bits through fields of dead sunflower and vineyards, I really would not want to miss a single day of it 😊 My blog on the fine line between pleasure and pain on the way from Le Puy - just in case you want to have a look
Bonne Chemin

I add my Gallic shrug to the vote pile: whatever you skip over in life, you'll always wonder what you missed/whether it was worth it. There's something to be said for the peacefulness of continuity, however.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's a tough one, because unlike the Frances, there are no sections that cry out to be skipped, or at least could be viewed as obviously of less interest -- like the Meseta or the final stretch from Sarria, if you hate crowds. The section you mention is somewhat flatter, and there's lots of cornfields, so it might very well be your best bet. But it's far from ugly. Do check out transportation options, because unlike in Spain, you're not following the main axis of transportation. I think Claudine Transport, which does baggage transport in the second half of the Le Puy route, also offers a pilgrim transport. https://m.claudine32.com/

Another thought is just go onto Roncesvalles from SJPDP, which is what the French consider as the end of the Le Puy route anyway, and skip the following two sections into Pamplona. To me, walking by cornfields is at least as pleasant as walking into a big city like Pamplona. That way, you'd still have a continuous walk and you'd get to cross the Pyrenees. And after walking a month, doing the SJPDP - Roncesvalles stretch in one day won't be that great a challenge. If you follow this suggestion, you'd only need to "horde" one day. Maybe you could, for example, hit Le Puy itself on the fly and start walking as soon as you get there (or after taking a quick tour of the town).

Overall, I agree with SYates below.
I agree with your description of this section (I too agree with Ms. Yates). I loved this section. It gives you a chance to just walk quietly without distraction and empty your brain. My only issue was that it was so lovely and tranquil that I was so relaxed and without thought that I missed a few turns as I had forgotten even to look for markings and just was loving every step of my day.

Thank you, one and all, for sharing your suggestions and experiences.
Since so many of you found the walk after Air-sur-l'Adour pretty, in its own way, I think I will simply walk and not worry about how far I get. At some point, I will run out of time and have to find a way to get back to Paris for my flight. Until then, there is an appealing ease to walking a continuous path and not having to stress about jumping ahead. I am so grateful to each of you -- AndyCohn, SYates, Falcon269, TMcA, NorthernLight, Hurry Krishna, Glenshiro, Kitsambler and It56ny. Many thanks!
Regards,
Rebecca

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back