• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What you need the camino provides.

paage

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015
Today the 10 of may 2016 it is 1 year since I took my first steps out of SJPdP on the road to Santiago. After posting here and putting my name on the calender, I was ready to go on the camino and meet my camino family. But my biggest fear was that I was going to end up walking alone. Or walking with people I did not like. I did know that other people was going the same day as me. But I had not asked anyone to meet at a certain place or anything like that. Among the people that responded to my Pilgrim Introductions entry was Carlos. His reply “Hi Preben, I am starting on the 10 May from SJPdP, see you on the way. Buen Camino Carlos”.

As I arrived in Pamplona buss station I was starting to get pressed for time. It was late and I had no clue to what bus to take. But an elderly Spanish lady also doing the camino did see a stressed Norwegian man and decided to help. She did not speak much English, and my Spanish I am sorry to say was limited. She grabbed me and got me on the right bus to SJPdP. In SJPdP the same lady took me and two other pilgrims to the pilgrims office, and helped us get passports and a bed for the night. The next day the 10th I started walking a bit later than the rest. As I walked past Orrison I spotted Maria the Spanish Lady. She had decided to stop and have some food. I decided to stop as well to say hi and get something to drink. As I sat down she started to talk to a man beside her in Spanish. But I did catch the words Carlos and Argentina.

I quickly asked if he was Carlos from the Pilgrim Forum. And told him that I was Preben. I can still remember the laughter as i sharked hands with him and an Irish woman he was talking with. What are the odds hehe. The next day my family consistedof Carlos, an American man, a Canadian Man, a Brazilian woman and the Irish woman. Carlos and me walked into Santiago together 31 days later. We lost some of our family as two had to go home early the Canadian and the Irish. And one of two Australians we meet on day 3 that got an injury.

Now 1 year later I am packing my bag to go to England. Were I will join the American and the Irish for The three peaks challenge. And then to go to Greece to sail with the American, Canadian and one of the Australians. And 2 month from now I am going to Brazil to move in with the Brazilian. And traveling down to meet Carlos.

The camino provides. I needed a camino angel and it gave me Maria. We meet lots of times during our walk, and I gave here a hug every time. But we never walked together. Thanks Maria for sitting down at that exact table on Orrison. You gave me my camino family and friends for life.

So don’t be afraid. What you need the camino will provide.
Buen Camino

Preben

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And THAT is the way it works!

It is positively WEIRD at times. But, that is the way, one of many ways, the Camino provides.

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

A wonderful story indeed. Enjoy also your further meetings with your Camino Family.....all those extra trips sound quite exciting.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Felt like writing an update to the story. Me and My Camino family are still talking all the time. And i am now married with the Woman from Brazil. Planning my second Camino in 2021. I ended my walk in Santiago de Compostela. But I have always felt like I should have walked from Sjpp to Finisterre. So I have decided to do just that. This time I don't think I need Maria. But I hope I meet her again just to give here a hug. And if I'm lucky, I can be the person that the Camino provides for another walker.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.