A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Whatever befalls .... trust

2020 Camino Guides
Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
Hi all - I hope that I am not contravening the forum rules, I mean not to .. but, we are in dark times and the Camino is a Christian pilgrimage .. and for we Christians amongst our members we perhaps need to remember that our trust in that benevolence is not just when things are going well but particularly "Whatever Befalls".

So to you all, a deep meditation - it is how I walk Camino, it is how I offer first aid and, if needed, pastoral care .... I think (hope) that you will find solace, strength, love, in these dark dark times from it - and, praying that all of you, my virtual family, stay safe and well, I offer this ... (full screen and sound up high helps - headphones are even better!) ...

Christian, Muslim, Jew, Pagan, atheist, agnostic ... - please take this medication at least three times a day, on rising, before sleeping, at mid day contemplation .. and whenever needed when your spirit begins to fail ....

Last edited:

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
Wonderful message

Camino(s) past & future
2013.2014..SJ/SDC ....2015.PORTO/SDC..2017.18.19.20.BURGOS/P.FERRADA
Hi all - I hope that I am not contravening the forum rules, I mean not to .. but, we are in dark times and the Camino is a Christian pilgrimage .. and for we Christians amongst our members we perhaps need to remember that our trust in that benevolence is not just when things are going well but particularly "Whatever Befalls".

So to you all, a deep meditation - it is how I walk Camino, it is how I offer first aid and, if needed, pastoral care .... I think (hope) that you will find solace, strength, love, in these dark dark times from it - and, praying that all of you, my virtual family, stay safe and well, I offer this ... (full screen and sound up high helps - headphones are even better!) ...

Christian, Muslim, Jew, Pagan, atheist, agnostic ... - please take this medication at least three times a day, on rising, before sleeping, at mid day contemplation .. and whenever needed when your spirit begins to fail ....

Thank you ,not heard this before but will often from now.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
This is one of the hymns that I have chosen for my funeral service. Hearing it today reminds me of something that I became aware of a few days ago, when I was very deep in gloom at the progress of COVID 19. Somehow, the deep dread that I felt converted itself into deep contemplation, with no effort on my part. I knew that this was somehow part of the action of the pandemic crisis in my soul. Peace in your hearts to all of you.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Thank you @David .
Also I had already thought about @TerryB saying that when walking the Norte/Primitivo he often came to the Capillas at mid-day, the time that many say the Angelus. Pilgrims in past centuries would have prayed this daily. Maybe we can use that prayer, especially if it is our tradition, alongside @David 's hymn and meditation.

@David - I would like to think it all would unite us and also keep a 'wave' going around the world as we each reach mid-day in our own country. Thank you for posting.

Last edited:

Gailsie

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Fall '09 ;
Thank you so much David, this is one of my favourite hymns and since our organist also loves it, it gets played often in our beautiful old church. Sitting here thinking of the beautiful words and scenery and comforted in this time of turmoil. I will be back several times to play this as I am in self isolation with my husband as he has just returned from golfing in the US.

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
This is a familiar hymn and when I read the Wikipedia entry I learned why my mind was confused... I had forgotten that the tune is used for at least two other hymns!
A beautiful visual David, many thanks.
One of the other two:
Love that hymn... not heard it for years <3

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...

I was transported back to a small church in rural Devon; I was in my blue choir robes singing at evensong when I was around 11 years old.... thank you so much for this moment ❤

evanscl

Camino(s) past & future
Oct 2016
I enjoyed the first video posted so am adding one for anyone interested.
This is a link to you tube, its my daughter singing a welsh song about ‘hiraeth’ an untranslatable word which is to do with the heart’s yearning for homeland, or something lost, it is called Porth Madryn, which is where the welsh landed in the 1860’s in Patagonia, having left their homeland.
We are socially distancing at home and will not now be walking in May. This is for all those yearning perhaps to be somewhere other than where they find themselves right now. But home is a good place to be too.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
Thank you David and kirkie...
“All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.”

...No matter what.
(I think I will go re-read Julian of Norwich....)
I have been looking through my extensive library (9 bookcases) since David's post, above, and yours reminded me of Julian of Norwich, an anchorite during the 14th century Black Plague, and her wonderful book, Revelations of Divine Love. This morning, I gave up on finding my copy and consulted Amazon. I found a copy available for $1.49 (Canadian) and now have it on my Kindle app on my phone. For anyone who has lost her/his copy or would like to try it out, it is available instantly through Amazon. Happy reading.

Holly Mitchem

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
One of my favorite hymns, as well, for certain in my top 10! This is a lovely version. I know Porth Madryn as an American folk song, The Water is Wide. Thanks for posting both songs, certainly cheered up my morning! Best to all....

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.

David
At a time when we all need some words like this ...here they are, along with beautiful music and scenery
Mind you, I don't think I could take your prescribed "medication" .....lid have red eyes all day!!
Thanks
Annette

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
Thank you David and kirkie...
“All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.”

...No matter what.
(I think I will go re-read Julian of Norwich....)
Love this quote VN walking,
In fact, these are the words on my tatty bookmark from a visit to Walsingham last yearimage.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 355 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock