• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

what's app and SIM

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
sorry, i DID try to search this but need help from experienced users

i am planning on a spanish SIM in my iPhone
I am leaning to WhatsApp for my communication with peeps
It is downloaded, but to get going it is asking for a phone number- so do i have to wait to get to Pamploma and get a SIM before starting this? Makes me think getting a SIM now while in the USA would be worth the risk
Do i start with my current cell? i think someone mentioned you might be able to change it later??
thanks
nanc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started using Whatsapp from the US using my normal cell number when I registered. Then when I went to Spain and got the Spanish SIM card, nothing changed. It worked just like normal.

When I program in a Spanish phone number to my iPhone contacts, I put the +34 before the number and then if that number has a Whatsapp account, when I go to "favorites" in Whatsapp, they are right there, ready for me to send a message.

I've never had the occasion to give anyone my Whatsapp number, I've always programmed their number and then found then in my Whatsapp favorites, but I assume it shows up to them as +1 then my cell number.

I hope it works well for you! It's worked like a charm for me both here at home and during 2 trips to Spain over the last year!

Also, I had great luck keeping up with people at home via Facebook messenger. Even made/received several phone calls to my husband via the app, including one memorable conversation while I was at a soccer match in a packed stadium! That call on Facebook messenger was crystal clear. It was amazing!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I arrived at Madrid Airport I bought a Spanish sim for my iPhone. It worked fine, was set up by the young guy right there at the counter. He spoke english, was very helpful. The shop was upstairs, an electronics shop, can't remember the name. All the apps I had loaded on my phone before leaving Australia worked perfectly - I never had a problem. You'll get a new number with the sim, notify your family of the new number. DON'T lose your old sim, you'll have to reinsert it when you get home in order to use your old phone number.

The only problem I had with the prepaid package was I couldn't attach photos or videos in text messages. I could receive them but not send. I assumed it was a limitation built into the package, could have been my mistake in not checking. Speaking english to Mundo customer service was not easy. I used iMessage and FaceTime many times for overseas calls. Always over a free wifi connection. Could have used Skype. WhatsApp should be fine. I can't help you with Facebook, I hate Facebook.

The phone company was Mundo, which is a Spanish subsidiary of Orange, it seems. My phone worked perfectly until I headed for Saint Jean a week later. As soon as I crossed the border into France, my phone lost signal, turned out I had to turn on roaming while outside Spain. I went to an Orange shop in Saint Jean and it was sorted in a couple of minutes. I ended up using the same sim after my Camino while in Paris for a month.

Topping up was pretty painless - just go to the international Orange top-up site, type in your phone number, and pay with a credit card.

The downside was, I received a lot of text messages in Spanish and was never sure what they were about - although they were obviously from Mundo. Was my data about to run out or were they trying to sell me something? I asked Ivar in Santiago to have a look at a few text messages and he said yes, they were tedious marketing messages. I didn't have to top up until about 2 months after I set up the phone with the new sim in Madrid. The phone worked perfectly all throughout my Camino. The only time I lost signal was in a valley a bit west of Pamplona.

On a previous trip to Europe, I bought a sim before leaving home. These are cumbersome to use, there's always a delay while making a call as you wait for an extra intermediate connection. On this trip, I used data for Google Maps a lot. I didn't want any hiccups with that vital app. I would never again buy a sim before leaving home.

You will have access to free wifi in many places along the Camino. This will save you eating into your prepaid sim plan, but you'll still need a sim to operate the phone. I travelled with an iPad for browsing and viewing photos, only used it with wifi.

I hope this helps. Any problems, just ask any 12-year-old.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have time and inclination, you can have an activated Spanish sim card sent to your home and ready as soon as you arrive in Spain. @Robo shared this site some time ago: http://www.simcardspain.es/en/ and it worked brilliantly for us. The cards arrived at our house in Canada and we just put them into our iPhones and good to go. Was very easy to top up on the same site and I appreciated that they accept Paypal so I didn't need to share my credit card details. With all done in advance we had our Whatsapp and other apps registered with our new Spanish phone numbers too.

If you have time and inclination, you can have an activated Spanish sim card sent to your home and ready as soon as you arrive in Spain. @Robo shared this site some time ago: http://www.simcardspain.es/en/ and it worked brilliantly for us. The cards arrived at our house in Canada and we just put them into our iPhones and good to go. Was very easy to top up on the same site and I appreciated that they accept Paypal so I didn't need to share my credit card details. With all done in advance we had our Whatsapp and other apps registered with our new Spanish phone numbers too.
Sounds good. Support is probably good especially if you're going to be travelling in Spain only. I'd take the iPhone sim swap tool or a paper clip with you so you can swap sims easily as soon as you get to Spain. I travelled with some small ziplock sandwich/freezer bags. Used one for the sim stuff so I didn't lose my Australian sim. Not a disaster if you lose your home sim, you could always get a new one and still keep your old number when you get home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It doesn't matter whether you set up WhatsApp using you current number, or a Spanish number. You can change the number in settings. However, if you are not prefixing you current home country numbers with the country code, you will need to do that before being able to ring them using WhatsApp.

All very helpful. Thank you

When I arrived at Madrid Airport I bought a Spanish sim for my iPhone. It worked fine, was set up by the young guy right there at the counter. He spoke english, was very helpful. The shop was upstairs, an electronics shop, can't remember the name. All the apps I had loaded on my phone before leaving Australia worked perfectly - I never had a problem. You'll get a new number with the sim, notify your family of the new number. DON'T lose your old sim, you'll have to reinsert it when you get home in order to use your old phone number.

The only problem I had with the prepaid package was I couldn't attach photos or videos in text messages. I could receive them but not send. I assumed it was a limitation built into the package, could have been my mistake in not checking. Speaking english to Mundo customer service was not easy. I used iMessage and FaceTime many times for overseas calls. Always over a free wifi connection. Could have used Skype. WhatsApp should be fine. I can't help you with Facebook, I hate Facebook.

The phone company was Mundo, which is a Spanish subsidiary of Orange, it seems. My phone worked perfectly until I headed for Saint Jean a week later. As soon as I crossed the border into France, my phone lost signal, turned out I had to turn on roaming while outside Spain. I went to an Orange shop in Saint Jean and it was sorted in a couple of minutes. I ended up using the same sim after my Camino while in Paris for a month.

Topping up was pretty painless - just go to the international Orange top-up site, type in your phone number, and pay with a credit card.

The downside was, I received a lot of text messages in Spanish and was never sure what they were about - although they were obviously from Mundo. Was my data about to run out or were they trying to sell me something? I asked Ivar in Santiago to have a look at a few text messages and he said yes, they were tedious marketing messages. I didn't have to top up until about 2 months after I set up the phone with the new sim in Madrid. The phone worked perfectly all throughout my Camino. The only time I lost signal was in a valley a bit west of Pamplona.

On a previous trip to Europe, I bought a sim before leaving home. These are cumbersome to use, there's always a delay while making a call as you wait for an extra intermediate connection. On this trip, I used data for Google Maps a lot. I didn't want any hiccups with that vital app. I would never again buy a sim before leaving home.

You will have access to free wifi in many places along the Camino. This will save you eating into your prepaid sim plan, but you'll still need a sim to operate the phone. I travelled with an iPad for browsing and viewing photos, only used it with wifi.

I hope this helps. Any problems, just ask any 12-year-old.

Buen Camino, - Mike
Hi I will be doing the Camino next year. What is the max data you can get on a pre paid card. As I am sixty and will be on my own my wife wants to track my GPS connected to my iphone in real time. Condition of name going by myself. Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Ronnie,

I've just cleaned out my travel bag and I've thrown away the Mundo sim and associated paperwork! I can't remember what the initial payment of 25 Euros included. There was a big data allowance because that's really the most important item. You can always make calls over wifi which is available everywhere for free. I think data was maybe 4GIG. I used it a few times a day while on Camino for Google Maps but only had to top it up after I had finished my Camino and I had moved on to France. I wouldn't worry too much about the maximum prepaid amount because you can top up when needed. I would check carefully before you go and try to be sure that you will have access to customer support in English. I wasn't told up front that topping up was as easy as it turned out to be by using an international Orange website. Early on, all communication with the sim/plan supplier was in Spanish. I guess the local Spanish service supplier wanted to ensure that top-up payments came to them directly.

I'm not sure how your wife would track you. If you leave your phone on all the time, I think you'll use up your data allowance very quickly and battery life could become an issue. You'll have to check that out while researching the purchase. Have you found a tracking app? There might be one out there that sends location info a few times a day via text message.

Customer service is key, I think. There are good plans out there available online. The sim is delivered to your home before you leave but I don't know how easily you can contact the carrier once you're travelling. I'm pretty sure the plan sellers are third party suppliers who aren't wonderful at post-sale support. I'm guessing.

You have plenty of time to check it out. See what turns up on this forum and try a few travel advisory sites.

I bought a sim when I arrived overseas because I was advised to do so by a friend who travels constantly for work. She trains executives all over the world. She has a small plastic bag with what looked like about 20 sims in it. I found a sim easily at Madrid airport but couldn't find one at CDG airport in Paris on a previous trip. Waiting to be served at a large store in the centre of Paris was not a pleasant experience.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Hi Ronnie,

I've just cleaned out my travel bag and I've thrown away the Mundo sim and associated paperwork! I can't remember what the initial payment of 25 Euros included. There was a big data allowance because that's really the most important item. You can always make calls over wifi which is available everywhere for free. I think data was maybe 4GIG. I used it a few times a day while on Camino for Google Maps but only had to top it up after I had finished my Camino and I had moved on to France. I wouldn't worry too much about the maximum prepaid amount because you can top up when needed. I would check carefully before you go and try to be sure that you will have access to customer support in English. I wasn't told up front that topping up was as easy as it turned out to be by using an international Orange website. Early on, all communication with the sim/plan supplier was in Spanish. I guess the local Spanish service supplier wanted to ensure that top-up payments came to them directly.

I'm not sure how your wife would track you. If you leave your phone on all the time, I think you'll use up your data allowance very quickly and battery life could become an issue. You'll have to check that out while researching the purchase. Have you found a tracking app? There might be one out there that sends location info a few times a day via text message.

Customer service is key, I think. There are good plans out there available online. The sim is delivered to your home before you leave but I don't know how easily you can contact the carrier once you're travelling. I'm pretty sure the plan sellers are third party suppliers who aren't wonderful at post-sale support. I'm guessing.

You have plenty of time to check it out. See what turns up on this forum and try a few travel advisory sites.

I bought a sim when I arrived overseas because I was advised to do so by a friend who travels constantly for work. She trains executives all over the world. She has a small plastic bag with what looked like about 20 sims in it. I found a sim easily at Madrid airport but couldn't find one at CDG airport in Paris on a previous trip. Waiting to be served at a large store in the centre of Paris was not a pleasant experience.

Buen Camino, - Mike
Hi Ronnie,

Buen Camino, - Mike

Hi Mike
Thank you for your very detailed reply. My bike GPS connects to my phone by Bluetooth and the Garmin app up loads my location so my wife can see my location on a map in real time. google EasyMiFi Spain. Book from Sydney and it will be waiting at my hotel when I arrive and post back on last day in Spain. Unlimited broad band on 3G ( no need to top up) yes it is expensive but it will keep my wife connected with me 24/7. My questions are. Has anybody used a EasyMiFi or would I be better off getting a sim when I arrive and loading up the data.Battery is not a problem as I have a power bank that will keep the phone running for a couple of days. I have used a top up sim when in Canada and worked well but I was with my wife then and only hay keep in contact with my children back home.
Safe travelling.

Hi Mike
Thank you for your very detailed reply. My bike GPS connects to my phone by Bluetooth and the Garmin app up loads my location so my wife can see my location on a map in real time. google EasyMiFi Spain. Book from Sydney and it will be waiting at my hotel when I arrive and post back on last day in Spain. Unlimited broad band on 3G ( no need to top up) yes it is expensive but it will keep my wife connected with me 24/7. My questions are. Has anybody used a EasyMiFi or would I be better off getting a sim when I arrive and loading up the data.Battery is not a problem as I have a power bank that will keep the phone running for a couple of days. I have used a top up sim when in Canada and worked well but I was with my wife then and only hay keep in contact with my children back home.
Safe travelling.
RonnieX,

I'm not familiar with EasyMiFi. The Garmin app sounds great. All sounds like fun but expensive. No secrets from your wife though. Just kidding.

Mike

A selection of Camino Jewellery
sorry, i DID try to search this but need help from experienced users

i am planning on a spanish SIM in my iPhone
I am leaning to WhatsApp for my communication with peeps
It is downloaded, but to get going it is asking for a phone number- so do i have to wait to get to Pamploma and get a SIM before starting this? Makes me think getting a SIM now while in the USA would be worth the risk
Do i start with my current cell? i think someone mentioned you might be able to change it later??
thanks
nanc
The SIM you buy in Spain. Make sure your phone's VPN data settings are set right for Spain's country code (this is something a lot of folks forget when they get some pre paid SIM card). Then, once the SIM card is activated, sign up your whatsapp account for the new SIM card and you should be good.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.