• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's happened to the Buen Camino app?

Amused212

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 CF, 2022 CF, 2022 Finisterre-Muxia
I relied heavily on the Buen Camino app last fall on the Camino Frances. Am beginning to plan for my May Camino, pulled up the Buen Camino app and it appears there have been some changes. Where it was easy to navigate before, now it is difficult or tedious. Is it just me or are others having issues? Is there now a better app than Buen Camino? I liked it for the total route planning - the maps, the elevation maps, you could click on a town and see a list of all the lodging and basic info for each so you could do an instant comparison. Now for lodging I get a bunch of pictures to scroll through and have to click each to get any info. Makes comparisons much more laborious - particularly if you're sitting at the side of the path trying to line up lodging for the night. Tips for navigating this new version are invited and welcomed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm also upset by the changes in the app. I have written to the developers and they are aware of the issues and are working on them. But it looks like a lot of what I liked about the app is gone. I don't think that they have improved it at all.
I have contacted them via WhatsApp +34 654 50 43 90

I have the Wisely apps, but don't like them as well. I used the stage planning feature on Buen Camino a lot.

Maybe if enough people contact them via email info@editorialbuencamino.com or WhatsApp, and leave reviews on the app stores they will change it back.

Last edited:
On the Google Play reviews this was the answer to one review that was negative about the changes:

La versión anterior ya no podíamos utilizarla porque no tenía mantenimiento informático. Estamos creando una nueva desde cero que es la que acabamos de publicar. A lo largo de estas semanas iremos mejorando la nueva app con nuevas versiones hasta que sea aún mejor que la anterior. Pero nos hará falta un poco de tiempo.

Translated:

The previous version could no longer be used because it had no computer maintenance. We're creating a new one from scratch that's the one we just published. Throughout these weeks we will improve the new app with new versions until it is even better than the previous one. But it's going to take a little time.

I don't know why they didn't work out the bugs before releasing the new version.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We used the Trailsmart App - it took (me) a while to get used to navigating the various screens, but it has a great facility allowing you to change the various camino sections to match your own preferences. It has links to accommodation in all towns and villages, along with website, email adds, and phone numbers. On a couple of occasions I sought support through the given link, and got an almost instant reply. Certainly worth a good look in my view. 👍

Another vote for Trailsmart. Used on the Portuguese from Porto.

Can be used without using data, which is an important bonus if you are a USanian or Strine. EU citizens can use their data in Spain just as if they were at home so less important for them.

For those unfamiliar with this app, you pay about a tenner for it and once it's downloaded to your phone you can download one Camino to it, and it shows the route on a map. Once you arrive at Santiago you can erase that Camino and we downloaded the route out to Muxia, then to Finisterre.

The ability to use it while the phone was in "flight mode" was very useful because it uses much less battery power.

Recommended.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mmm-I used the wisely app this past fall and found quite a bit of information regarding albergues out of date. Other than that, I liked the offline maps and elevation schematic.

The app that was a joint venture with Wise Pilgrim and the forum was separate from the Wisely apps, which were previously called Wise Pilgrim.

The Wisely apps can still be downloaded and are supported and updated

Well, that is really confusing! I guess the important thing is to know that the free wisely apps are a thing of the past. So does this mean @trecile, that some of the apps sold by Wise Pilgrim are called wisely and some are called wise pilgrim?
No. It used to be that there were separate Wisely and Wise Pilgrim apps, with the Wisely app, essentially being a light version of the fuller-featured Wise Pilgrim app, containing only the gps map. The Wisely app was the one that was offered for free on this forum. Now the lighter Wisely app. is not available, and there is just one full-featured app. available, called Wisely + (fill in the name of the Camino). As Trecile points out above, It's clear enough if you go to the Apple App. Store or the Google Play store and search for either Wise Pilgrim or Wisely.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, that is really confusing! I guess the important thing is to know that the free wisely apps are a thing of the past. So does this mean @trecile, that some of the apps sold by Wise Pilgrim are called wisely and some are called wise pilgrim?
Yes, and they have always had apps that you have to pay for. The Camino Places app was the only free one that I know of.
Mmm-I used the wisely app this past fall and found quite a bit of information regarding albergues out of date. Other than that, I liked the offline maps and elevation schematic.

Maybe it's not updated that often.

I relied heavily on the Buen Camino app last fall on the Camino Frances. Am beginning to plan for my May Camino, pulled up the Buen Camino app and it appears there have been some changes. Where it was easy to navigate before, now it is difficult or tedious. Is it just me or are others having issues? Is there now a better app than Buen Camino? I liked it for the total route planning - the maps, the elevation maps, you could click on a town and see a list of all the lodging and basic info for each so you could do an instant comparison. Now for lodging I get a bunch of pictures to scroll through and have to click each to get any info. Makes comparisons much more laborious - particularly if you're sitting at the side of the path trying to line up lodging for the night. Tips for navigating this new version are invited and welcomed.

I downloaded and installed the App for the first time last month and although not used it extensively yet it seems great so far...

Hey all, just thought I would add to this thread to clarify a bit of the confusion around Wisely, Wisely +, and the old Wise Pilgrim apps.

The way of the future for these apps is the Wisely + lineup, which have been rewritten to improve performance and functionality on new devices.

The half-way apps that came just before them were called Wisely, and there are a few routes out there where you will still find these (Invierno, San Salvador, Inglés)... but these too will be updated to the newest Wisely + code base in the month of January.

The Wise Pilgrim apps are no longer in the market because the code became unstable on the newest devices, and new feature sets like offline maps were not possible.

I also wanted to add that these apps, and the books, are now my full time job. I continue to update all of the routes year after year, and this year will be adding a few new routes to the lineup. A lot of people may not know this but the content that is included in the apps, and the books, is also available on the wisepilgrim.com website. It is all in English (plus a few routes in German, and one in Italian) and is great for planning.

Thanks for all of the support, and I look forward to crossing paths with many of you this summer.

-Michael

p.s. the iOS apps are on sale from now through January, just a buck a piece.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey all, just thought I would add to this thread to clarify a bit of the confusion around Wisely, Wisely +, and the old Wise Pilgrim apps.

The way of the future for these apps is the Wisely + lineup, which have been rewritten to improve performance and functionality on new devices.

The half-way apps that came just before them were called Wisely, and there are a few routes out there where you will still find these (Invierno, San Salvador, Inglés)... but these too will be updated to the newest Wisely + code base in the month of January.

The Wise Pilgrim apps are no longer in the market because the code became unstable on the newest devices, and new feature sets like offline maps were not possible.

I also wanted to add that these apps, and the books, are now my full time job. I continue to update all of the routes year after year, and this year will be adding a few new routes to the lineup. A lot of people may not know this but the content that is included in the apps, and the books, is also available on the wisepilgrim.com website. It is all in English (plus a few routes in German, and one in Italian) and is great for planning.

Thanks for all of the support, and I look forward to crossing paths with many of you this summer.

-Michael

Michael:

Just curious if the new Wisely + Primitivo app. includes the Camino Verde from Lugo over to the Norte?

I always recommend your apps. to people in our local Camino chapter, and always recommend the Camino Verde alternative, too, busy but when we walked the Primitiivo, the Wise Pilgrim app. did not conntain the Camino Verde optiion.

(I hear, by the way, that the Buen Camino app. does include the Camno Verde -- if that's an incentive to include it).

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am so glad you started this thread. Your post could have been written by me. I loved the buen camino app and was on it hourly. It provided so much info. I can't figure it out now. P.s. I just did the Camino Frances in September/October 2019 and am going to do the Portuguese beginning May 2, 2020. See you on the trails!
Also, I will take anyone's suggestion re a good App for albergues, maps, etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It may have in the previous version of the app, but it has been completely redesigned, and not in a good way 😢
So I gather from the above. Thanks. I don't know whether the friend who walked the Primitivo / Camino Verde route (just last summer) used the new Buen Camino app. or the old. Always actually preferred Wise Pilgrim myself

Michael:

Just curious if the new Wisely + Primitivo app. includes the Camino Verde from Lugo over to the Norte?

I always recommend your apps. to people in our local Camino chapter, and always recommend the Camino Verde alternative, too, busy but when we walked the Primitiivo, the Wise Pilgrim app. did not conntain the Camino Verde optiion.

(I hear, by the way, that the Buen Camino app. does include the Camno Verde -- if that's an incentive to include it).

Thanks.
At the moment it does not, but it will include it for the upcoming 2020 pilgrims. I have not yet had the opportunity to walk it, but will do so very soon. It, and the poor Aragones will get some love soon!

So I gather from the above. Thanks. I don't know whether the friend who walked the Primitivo / Camino Verde route (just last summer) used the new Buen Camino app. or the old. Always actually preferred Wise Pilgrim myself
The new version of Buen Camino was just released in December. If you have automatic updates turned on for your phone apps it will automatically download the new version, whether you want it or not. I think that they released it during the winter to work out the bugs before the prime Camino season starts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So I am trying to follow everyone's comments. I am doing the Portugues in May. Is the final consensus that Wisely + Camino Portugues is a good option (only $.99) and that most importantly it IS updated? Just trying to understand…. I deleted (with great sadness) my Buen Camino App due to the new version, which I consider to be awful. Thanks in advance for further clarification!

I deleted (with great sadness) my Buen Camino App due to the new version, which I consider to be awful.
The developers say that they are working on the bugs, so I'm still holding out hope. But I did like the previous format and features.
I also have and use the Wisely+ apps, but preferred the format and stage planner built into the old Buen Camino.

-Michael

Thanks . Have just downloaded the Vía De La Plata app and can’t wait to use it this year.

I am so glad you started this thread. Your post could have been written by me. I loved the buen camino app and was on it hourly. It provided so much info. I can't figure it out now. P.s. I just did the Camino Frances in September/October 2019 and am going to do the Portuguese beginning May 2, 2020. See you on the trails!
Also, I will take anyone's suggestion re a good App for albergues, maps, etc.
God, I just looked on my Buen Camino app and it instantly crashed. I used it for 3 last caminos and now it looks awful. It it ain't broken and all that! When I can get through I will report.

The new version of Buen Camino was just released in December. If you have automatic updates turned on for your phone apps it will automatically download the new version, whether you want it or not. I think that they released it during the winter to work out the bugs before the prime Camino season starts.
The new version is truly awful

So I am trying to follow everyone's comments. I am doing the Portugues in May. Is the final consensus that Wisely + Camino Portugues is a good option (only $.99) and that most importantly it IS updated? Just trying to understand…. I deleted (with great sadness) my Buen Camino App due to the new version, which I consider to be awful. Thanks in advance for further clarification!
Totally agree. New version is terrible. When I do my next camino, i certainly won't be using Buen Camino until they restore the "plan my stages" version. Just looked at the CF and they have built in stages. The great thing about it was to be able to plan between the supposed stages or Brierley stages.

-Michael

Hi Michael
I used your new Guide to the Portuges Route in the summer (2019) and found there were a number of hostels missing. The Brierley short guide with maps etc seemed much more up to date when I looked at what other Pilgrims had.

-Michael

Your website as of this morning, 7 am PST, Jan 4, is not working properly with broken links.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Michael
I used your new Guide to the Portuges Route in the summer (2019) and found there were a number of hostels missing. The Brierley short guide with maps etc seemed much more up to date when I looked at what other Pilgrims had.
I'm also upset by the changes in the app. I have written to the developers and they are aware of the issues and are working on them. But it looks like a lot of what I liked about the app is gone. I don't think that they have improved it at all.
I have contacted them via WhatsApp +34 654 50 43 90

I have the Wisely apps, but don't like them as well. I used the stage planning feature on Buen Camino a lot.

Maybe if enough people contact them via email info@editorialbuencamino.com or WhatsApp, and leave reviews on the app stores they will change it back.
Me too. The stage planning was the best bit of the old app. Why on earth have they changed this...

One might take a peek at OsmAnd, a free general-purpose map-and-navigation app available from the Android and IOS app stores.

After one downloads the maps (all of the maps and the monthly map updates are free, BTW), the app works off line - no network connection required. I used the default Open Source maps which clearly show the various routes of the Caminos and other long-distance hiking trails, lodging places, points of interest, cafes and restaurants, laundromats, passenger railway lines and stations, contour lines, etc. etc. etc. One can plot a route beforehand and then switch to the elevation profile view to see the upcoming climbs and descents. The app will record one's tracks on demand.

The basic version is free. If you don't like it, simply uninstall. The OsmAnd+ version (which costs a pittance) allows one to download a greater number of maps.

I have used OsmAnd+ for all four of my pilgrimages in Spain and several long-distance bicycle tours in Canada. It is great IMO.

OsmAnd is feature-rich. It works fine as-is but can also be tailored to one's tastes in a great many ways. For those planning to use it, I recommend installing it a few months in advance and getting to know how it works before starting your pilgrimage.

I have no economic interest whatsoever in this app, just an enthusiastic user.

One might take a peek at OsmAnd, a free general-purpose map-and-navigation app available from the Android and IOS app stores.

After one downloads the maps (all of the maps and the monthly map updates are free, BTW), the app works off line - no network connection required. I used the default Open Source maps which clearly show the various routes of the Caminos and other long-distance hiking trails, lodging places, points of interest, cafes and restaurants, laundromats, passenger railway lines and stations, contour lines, etc. etc. etc. One can plot a route beforehand and then switch to the elevation profile view to see the upcoming climbs and descents. The app will record one's tracks on demand.

The basic version is free. If you don't like it, simply uninstall. The OsmAnd+ version (which costs a pittance) allows one to download a greater number of maps.

I have used OsmAnd+ for all four of my pilgrimages in Spain and several long-distance bicycle tours in Canada. It is great IMO.

OsmAnd is feature-rich. It works fine as-is but can also be tailored to one's tastes in a great many ways. For those planning to use it, I recommend installing it a few months in advance and getting to know how it works before starting your pilgrimage.

Is this purely a mapping app? What I liked about Buen Camino was the ability to plan my stages, the information about towns along the way, lists of accommodations in each locality with the ability to call/email them from within the app, the bar at the top of the page that showed me how far I was to the next town in real time as I walked, etc.
When I do my next camino, i certainly won't be using Buen Camino until they restore the "plan my stages" version. Just looked at the CF and they have built in stages.
I wrote to the developer about that - this was the response.

Sí se puede. Hay que pulsar en una etapa para modificarla. Al darle a guardar, se adaptan automáticamente las etapas siguientes. Pero aún da muchos errores la nueva app. Esperamos que vaya todo correctamente en unas semanas.

Translation:

Yes you can. You must press in one stage to modify it. By giving save, automatically adapt the following stages. But still it gives a lot of errors the new app. We hope that it will be everything correctly in a few weeks.

This does not sound like the best method of planning stages to me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Yes. Thank you. I did use this in Augues (2019) when I walked from Lisbon to Porto. It was great.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Michael,
from the wisepilgrim.com site I scrolled to Camino Del Norte online guide, clicked on The camino in the Basque country and got a page stating: ERROR the website encountered an unexpected error Try again
when i scrolled to Primitivo and tried to open a route, it jumped to a new tab (Chrome) with message This site cannot be reached.

Trecile's questions:

Is this purely a mapping app? What I liked about Buen Camino was the ability to plan my stages, the information about towns along the way, lists of accommodations in each locality with the ability to call/email them from within the app, the bar at the top of the page that showed me how far I was to the next town in real time as I walked, etc.

My responses:

OsmAnd can be used to plan stages and indeed route planning and navigation for all sorts of users is its main purpose. By turning on the radius circles you can get a rough idea of the distance to villages and towns ahead. If you then pick one of those towns and tell OsmAnd to navigate from your location to there (e.g. by foot, for pilgrims) it will plot a route, show the route on the map, and calculate and display a much more exact distance to the destination. Another screen will show the elevations and gradients.

As I travel the route, once per second OsmAnd recalculates the route and the distance and estimated time remaining to the destination, and shows both on the screen. Deviating from OsmAnd's planned route is not a problem, the app simply recalculates a new route on the fly. It can be useful to turn on voice navigation so that the system can tell you when you stray too far off the planned route.

By turning on Points of Interest (POIs) for categories of interest at the moment (lodgings, cafes, cultural sights, grocery stores, museums, etc.), their locations become prominent on the map. Enabling the Wikipedia feature allows one open the relevant Wikipedia entry (if one exists) for such POIs directly from the map. I suspect that one must be on-line to open the Wikipedia links; I just discovered the Wikipedia feature recently so not yet an expert on that, but it seems to work.

When reserving lodgings I use OsmAnd and sometimes Google Maps to make a short list of candidate lodging places and then use Booking.com to make the reservations. No one source can reliably show all lodging places; it is good to use multiple sources. One must be on-line to use Booking.com of course. Since I prefer to book lodgings a few days in advance, I use the WIFI from whatever lodging place I am in when making the reservations, so that is not a problem for me. I download the Booking.com reservation confirmation forms immediately after making the bookings; they include the telephone numbers and fairly-exact locations and GPS coordinates of the places where I will be staying.

BTW I use an 8" Android tablet with WIFI and its built-in GPS receiver for all of this. I don't have a smart phone but do have a small iPod Touch and basic cheap mobile phone as emergency backup digital devices. And I ended up never using any of the costly and heavy printed paper Camino route guides and maps that I bought when planning my first Camino.

I have been using OsmAnd+ intensively for more than three years and keep discovering useful new features. I find it extremely useful. Its utility is not limited to pilgrimages, or even just hiking, it is a general-purpose navigation and map app for all types of users: walkers, cyclists, drivers, aircraft pilots, boaters, etc. The developers are reasonably responsive to improvement requests. I paid full price for the "+" variant of the app (the basic version is free) but the price was economical anyway. Occasionally it is on sale for 50% of the regular price.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great trip!

Last edited:
Hi Michael,
from the wisepilgrim.com site I scrolled to Camino Del Norte online guide, clicked on The camino in the Basque country and got a page stating: ERROR the website encountered an unexpected error Try again
when i scrolled to Primitivo and tried to open a route, it jumped to a new tab (Chrome) with message This site cannot be reached.
After much gnashing of teeth with tech support, and some quick tippity taps on my clackety keyboard, it appears that all is well again in the land of wisepilgrim.com. My apologies for the hassle, and my appreciation for keeping me informed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I would recommend it. Just completed Coimbra-Santiago in November and the Wisely+ Portuguese served me extremely well.

Totally agree. New version is terrible. When I do my next camino, i certainly won't be using Buen Camino until they restore the "plan my stages" version. Just looked at the CF and they have built in stages. The great thing about it was to be able to plan between the supposed stages or Brierley stages.
I really loved the Buen Camino App for my CF that I completed on October 20th. I was so attached to it that after I got home I would find myself glancing at it on my phone and smiling and getting the warm fuzzies thinking of my Camino :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Michael
Uh oh. I was hoping the App was updated. Would like to rely on it as much or nearly as much as I relied on Buen Camino on the CF this past Fall.

Uh oh. I was hoping the App was updated. Would like to rely on it as much or nearly as much as I relied on Buen Camino on the CF this past Fall.
Marla, rest assured that the app will be updated. The 2020 guidebooks just printed, and I took some time off for the the holidays before diving back into the app updates. You can expect that before the end of February the entire suite of apps will receive a content update... and perhaps a few new (non-breaking) features.

Michael

Marla, rest assured that the app will be updated. The 2020 guidebooks just printed, and I took some time off for the the holidays before diving back into the app updates. You can expect that before the end of February the entire suite of apps will receive a content update... and perhaps a few new (non-breaking) features.

Michael
Michael, thank you so much for reading and replying to my message. I am glad to hear you took some time off! I assume that even if I purchase now, I will be able to get the updates down the line? Otherwise, I will hold off. Thanks in advance for your hard work and your response.

I wrote to the developer about that - this was the response.

Sí se puede. Hay que pulsar en una etapa para modificarla. Al darle a guardar, se adaptan automáticamente las etapas siguientes. Pero aún da muchos errores la nueva app. Esperamos que vaya todo correctamente en unas semanas.

Translation:

Yes you can. You must press in one stage to modify it. By giving save, automatically adapt the following stages. But still it gives a lot of errors the new app. We hope that it will be everything correctly in a few weeks.

This does not sound like the best method of planning stages to me.
Thanks for this. I can confirm it works and you can customize your stages in the new app. It isn't intuitive and I, too, had thought you had to stick to their pre-made stages and wondered why the pencil (edit) and save icons were there. Now I know.

BTW, another app that allows you to build a custom itinerary of stages is the Camino Pilgrim app that I used extensively for my 2016 pilgrimage. You can design, save, and re-open multiple different itineraries in that app.

Thanks for this. I can confirm it works and you can customize your stages in the new app. It isn't intuitive and I, too, had thought you had to stick to their pre-made stages and wondered why the pencil (edit) and save icons were there. Now I know.

BTW, another app that allows you to build a custom itinerary of stages is the Camino Pilgrim app that I used extensively for my 2016 pilgrimage. You can design, save, and re-open multiple different itineraries in that app.
I haven't been able to try out the stage planner because the app keeps crashing. 😢

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I haven't been able to try out the stage planner because the app keeps crashing. 😢
That was my problem with Wise Pilgrim in 2016. It would crash when I tried to use the map, which is why I relied more on Buen Camino and Camino Pilgrim during that Camino. Fortunately, they solved it. I expect Buen Camino will solve its issues, too.

I've been doing a bit more exploring and discovered many of the things that people seem to say are missing. They aren't as easy or intuitive to find. The app would benefit from a better "help" section.

That was my problem with Wise Pilgrim in 2016. It would crash when I tried to use the map, which is why I relied more on Buen Camino and Camino Pilgrim during that Camino. Fortunately, they solved it. I expect Buen Camino will solve its issues, too.
Yes, that happened to me with Wise Pilgrim in 2017.
Buen Camino has had a good video tutorial for the old version. Hopefully, when they get all the bugs worked out they will make a new tutorial. The old version had features that I didn't discover or realize until I had used it for a few weeks. Like the bar at the top of the page that showed the distance to the next locality in real time as I walked.

I used the Wisely + Camino Frances guide on my smartphone from Roncesvalles to Santiago. Easy to find your way with its excellent maps that can be used with or without an internet connection. that provides GPS positioning relative to the map, clear information,

-Michael

Thanks Michael! I used the Wisely + Camino Frances in September and enjoyed using it. At one point I was confused about the route, turned on the GPS and verified that it was just a stretch where the Way marker was gone and we were fine.
I loved the quick link to book a place to stay with the overflowing albergues in early September. Super convenient.

Thank you @Faye Walker. Wanted to get someone's seal of approval before I get it. Incidentally, I will likely start in Coimbro when I start in May 2020.

I hope you will have an excellent journey! I really enjoyed the walk from Coimbra to Mealhada.... I do recommend that you pick up something for breakfast in Mealhada as all things were closed at the albergue in Sernadelo whereto are mostly likely to stay and there's no grocery in Sernadelo. I think there is FROIZ or a CONTINENTE grocery just as you are at the edge of Mealhada and Sernadelo. Hop in there.

If you need a SIM card, there is a VODAFONE shop in Coimbra near to the monastery, and also conveniently near to a CONTINENTE grocery store. For a good breakfast starting out and a comfortable night's sleep I found the IBIS hotel to be very happy to have pilgrims. I had a delightful chat with the desk clerk about her own camino as she put the first stamp in my book. It was all very easy as I'd hopped the train the night before from Lisbon.

Bom Caminho!

No. I have been in touch with Buen Camino app people and you cant plan your daily stages at the moment in the new version, but they are planning to bring it back.

Sorry Micheal, were you replying to my post? Confused. Are you saying the app was more up to date that the most recent book?

I hope you will have an excellent journey! I really enjoyed the walk from Coimbra to Mealhada.... I do recommend that you pick up something for breakfast in Mealhada as all things were closed at the albergue in Sernadelo whereto are mostly likely to stay and there's no grocery in Sernadelo. I think there is FROIZ or a CONTINENTE grocery just as you are at the edge of Mealhada and Sernadelo. Hop in there.

If you need a SIM card, there is a VODAFONE shop in Coimbra near to the monastery, and also conveniently near to a CONTINENTE grocery store. For a good breakfast starting out and a comfortable night's sleep I found the IBIS hotel to be very happy to have pilgrims. I had a delightful chat with the desk clerk about her own camino as she put the first stamp in my book. It was all very easy as I'd hopped the train the night before from Lisbon.

Bom Caminho!
THank you for these tips!! I welcome all recommendations!

No. I have been in touch with Buen Camino app people and you cant plan your daily stages at the moment in the new version, but they are planning to bring it back.
That's strange because I was able to without issue following the instructions shared above. Maybe they brought it back after your conversation?

My issue is downloading the map. I can download it, but then it unzip the folder until another green box with "DONE" is visible! I can press on it, but nothing happens! It's for the Primitivo!
Any suggestions?

My issue is downloading the map. I can download it, but then it unzip the folder until another green box with "DONE" is visible! I can press on it, but nothing happens! It's for the Primitivo!
Any suggestions?
What map are you downloading? And from what source?

On the Wisely+ App I used the link to download the map for the Primitive. The next think is the green box with "DOWNLOAD OFLINE MAP" is shown. The I'm asked if I want to download the map I just asked to be downloaded. Now I'm being told it's being downloaded in a green box (- underneath there's a red box if I want to delete all the offline maps). Waiting for the maps to be unpacked.
The green box tells me it has been done, but when I try to press the green box nothing happens!
Am I doing anything wrong?
iPhone 7 with the latest software update!

Downloading the maps goes like this:
1. From the side menu select 'DOWNLOAD MAP'
2. Click the green button to DOWNLOAD OFFLINE MAPS
wait for the files to download, and unpack. the green button then changes to done. that's it.
3. Return to the guide, either from the side menu or from within the guide itself.
4. The map by default is the online version and this will be indicated by the ONLINE button at the bottom of the map. To switch to the OFFLINE version, just click the button which says ONLINE.

Remember that the offline maps only cover the area immediately adjacent to the camino.

On the Wisely+ App I used the link to download the map for the Primitive. The next think is the green box with "DOWNLOAD OFLINE MAP" is shown. The I'm asked if I want to download the map I just asked to be downloaded. Now I'm being told it's being downloaded in a green box (- underneath there's a red box if I want to delete all the offline maps). Waiting for the maps to be unpacked.
The green box tells me it has been done, but when I try to press the green box nothing happens!
Am I doing anything wrong?
iPhone 7 with the latest software update!
I think I understand. I have an android phone, so I don't know if it looks the same, but after you download the maps you don't have to press the green button again after it changes to "done". You just tap the menu button and choose ON/OFFLINE MAPS.

20200108_071738-270x555.jpg

Uninstalled the App and then installed it again! It worked for me!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks for your dedication to the guidebook and app, Michael - I very much look forward to using them during my first CF this spring. Is there a place where or method by which you prefer to receive feedback regarding bugs, features, and questions about the app? I can't seem to find anything in the app itself, nor any dedicated contact/email links on the website - and given that this thread was originally started about the Buen Camino app I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it either. Thanks!

Last edited:
Uninstalled the App and then installed it again! It worked for me!
I understand that you are referring to the Wisely + app, but the original topic of this thread was the Buen Camino app. It would be helpful if all posters to this thread be clear about which app they are referring to.

Okay, been lurking but I have to be honest....MY Buen Camino app has not changed!!!!! Same great tool as always. 🤔. I’m on an iPhone 6S with apps updated automatically, so not sure why I’m the lucky one.

any ideas?!?!!

Michael
Hi Michael,

First off, I love the Wisely Camino Frances guide, the live map has helped me with the route, especially when walking in the dark and coming to confusing cross sections, plus it's great for finding accomodation on the trail.

I've recently purchased your Portugues guide, but noticed that on the elavation profile map it doesn't have the little accommodation and cafe symbols on the towns, which are so useful on the Frances guide. Will you be adding these in the update? Also, I'm planning to start in Porto, but it's proving quite hard to find porto on the elevation profile map, as it starts at Lisbon. Could there be a way or having a choice where to start the elevation map (Lisbon or Porto), rather than having to trawl through the whole thing?

Thanks!

Dan

Downloading the maps goes like this:
1. From the side menu select 'DOWNLOAD MAP'
2. Click the green button to DOWNLOAD OFFLINE MAPS
wait for the files to download, and unpack. the green button then changes to done. that's it.
3. Return to the guide, either from the side menu or from within the guide itself.
4. The map by default is the online version and this will be indicated by the ONLINE button at the bottom of the map. To switch to the OFFLINE version, just click the button which says ONLINE.

Remember that the offline maps only cover the area immediately adjacent to the camino.
Hi this was a confusing issue for me .. I think the next update should encompass ( terrible unavoidable pun) a change in the UI for switching the maps from Online fo Offline ... Im no Luddite, but dont feel sure what im working with .. Hoping it gets a full Workout on the VDLP in May this year 👍

Okay, been lurking but I have to be honest....MY Buen Camino app has not changed!!!!! Same great tool as always. 🤔. I’m on an iPhone 6S with apps updated automatically, so not sure why I’m the lucky one.

any ideas?!?!!
Lucky you is allI can say. The new version is next to useless compared to the old one. They say they will be making changes so there will be the old functionality. Dont know why they changed it in the first place as it was working so well. Weill watch this space, as it were!

Does anyone know if the bugs to the new version of the Buen Camino App have been fixed?

Does anyone know if the bugs to the new version of the Buen Camino App have been fixed?
I haven't been able to download the file for the Camino del Norte.
I was able to download the Camino Primitivo files, but the app doesn't seem to have the same functionality as the previous version. For instance the stage planner is not as robust.

I emailed them back in January and was assured they are working on it. The great old functionality will be back and it will be better.
We still wait though. It's so annoying as the route planner was great. The person responsible for that bit had left the organization. If it's not broken, don't fix it as they say!

Good news for everyone that preferred the old Buen Camino App is available.

They have been in touch and have said:

"We are working hard to make this app better than the old one. To make it easier for those of you who don't like the change, we have provided a link on the description of the app, in the Playstore"

If you to to the store then scroll down to information and click on this you will see the link to the old app. You may have to uninstall the new one (as I did).

Hurray. Please then rate as positive.

"We are working hard to make this app better than the old one. To make it easier for those of you who don't like the change, we have provided a link on the description of the app, in the Playstore"

If you to to the store then scroll down to information and click on this you will see the link to the old app. You may have to uninstall the new one (as I did).

I checked the Apple App Store and did not see a link for the old version. Maybe only available for Android?

I checked the Apple App Store and did not see a link for the old version. Maybe only available for Android?
Here you go:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Okay, I've found the information on the web page of the play store.

Some of you have asked us for the old version of the app (2015-2019) that we had to delete due to a lack of development support. We are offering it temporarily here: https://www.editorialbuencamino.com/AppBuenCamino.apk (You might have to enable the "Install from Unknown Sources" setting on your Android device).

Last edited:
I just checked out the video tutorial for the new version, and if they ever get it working properly, it looks like it will be excellent, but for now I'm so happy to have the old version back!!

Thanks @Lucy Keenan for bringing this to our attention!

This is good news!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too loved the Buen Camino app. A suggestion to the developers, can you rename the new app to something similar but slightly different, such as been Camino 2 or whatever works. That would allow people to install both versions and as the new one is improved and user confidence builds in it, we could delete the old one. I have heard in Android you can have two versions of the same named app, but that is very difficult in IOS.

However, is it updated with which albergues are open/closed this season?

A few days ago I contacted the developer of the Buen Camino app to ask about updates. This is the reply that I received.

"Hi,
we are still updating the android version. The Iphone will come next, but due to covid we have less income and the update its being delayed.
Thanks for your understanding.
Buen Camino!"

I am sorry that there are no recent updates because Buen Camino is an important part of I consider the best Camino App triad: Wise Pilgrim, Gronze and Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back