• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's happening on the Camino?

Lori D.

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
So many threads with people not having a good experience. I wonder what is going on? It's often hard and it's sometimes boring. And your feet can hurt. But it is often joyful and beautiful. I like to say there are angels everywhere. I hope people can take a breath and smile.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So many threads with people not having a good experience. I wonder what is going on? It's often hard and it's sometimes boring. And your feet can hurt. But it is often joyful and beautiful. I like to say there are angels everywhere. I hope people can take a breath and smile.
Hi Lori , they will.
Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino, Peter.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In hearing my son, who is walking now and he has walked previously with me in June/July 2014, it is very crowded and there seems to be a constant race for beds and more. He has said that for him personally he is witnessing some loss of the spiritual and the various peoples that work in the service industries are also sharing these sentiments. Perhaps May is just a very busy, busy month. Buen Camino to all and peace be for the journey.

This seems to be a big change from last year. I walked the Camino Frances in July, and I few times I was the only person in the albergue. I believe there was only one time when the first albergue I got to was full, and I had to go to a second one in the same town.

I would think that bigger crowds would make the people working in businesses on the Camino happy. More business means more money, and some of the dying towns on the Camino could certainly use the extra euros.

I returned from the Camino three weeks ago. We got a mixture of weather from mid March - April and that was a bit of a challenge but I wouldn't say it was not enjoyable. I am also happy I chose this time of year to go -when I left there were more pilgrims walking than when I began. I suppose once you truly let go and just walk (to be cliche), the camino is simply the camino. It's a place of many, many emotions. Buen Camino to all!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So many threads with people not having a good experience.
I think I count only two who are stopping. A few others describe incidents that irritated them (about the same number I have each time I go to Wal-Mart). About 1,000 a day are now arriving in Santiago, and that number will increase in June and July. So two bad experiences is not a large number. As the crowds build, more pilgrims will talk about the difficulty of getting a bed, but even then, you won't find too many that do not find a bed. When 2,500 per day arrive in Santiago in August, even a hundred stories about not finding a bed would not be a large number!

If you don't expect perfection, you won't be disappointed! :):)

I think the joy of the camino is not rushing for a bed, but taking things as they come. I did this last year, although it was Sept/Oct and never had a problem, mind you I did always stay interstage except for the cities where I had a rest day.
Real;ax, walk and chill, a bed will appear.

I think I count only two who are stopping. A few others describe incidents that irritated them (about the same number I have each time I go to Wal-Mart). About 1,000 a day are now arriving in Santiago, and that number will increase in June and July. So two bad experiences is not a large number. As the crowds build, more pilgrims will talk about the difficulty of getting a bed, but even then, you won't find too many that do not find a bed. When 2,500 per day arrive in Santiago in August, even a hundred stories about not finding a bed would not be a large number!

If you don't expect perfection, you won't be disappointed! :):)
I have the same problem in Walmart :rolleyes:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Real;ax, walk and chill, a bed will appear.

I pack a lightweight poncho and carry a lightweight roll matt. Three tent pegs and couple of bungees. that way if there is no room at the inn I can pitch it under a tree etc and Hey presto a shelter is born. not for everyone but it has helped me more than once in the past. Also roll matt can always be used on floor in small corner somewhere. All will be fine just have a great time.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
With exceptions for illness and injury, I think the people who are having hard times are the people who show up with huge expectations. The camino doesn't measure up to what they want, so they bail out.
So be it. The Camino is not for everyone. So much better to head home than continue, complaining and whining all the way and spreading your misery to everyone else.

the first Camino will expose your self imposed irritation points. If it is the race to get to the queue when the Albergue opens, or for others the annoyance of finding a cafe with WiFi connection..
I had my hangs with the language and the noise level, and found out to my surprise, that the very last week I adapted totally to conditions and this made the noise disappear into a sweet murmur....
So study your annoyances and irritation and spend some time post Camino to discover yourself. That will be your gift.

Had a Headmaster who took to the Camino and at the very first staff meeting afterwards, she just waited until the chitterchatter died down, which took forever.
In the end everyone smiled and laughed.... a great moment..
That is what she learned on the Camino !!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I have heard from some friends that walked the French last year, you are right, things are changing rapidly. It seems like the beauty of the Camino is really being pushed as tourism in many places. This has increased the traffic, and some folks are coming with a "fun" agenda rather than with an open mind.
I felt lucky, during my 4 Caminos, (2 French, Portuguese, and Ingles), I have always walked in late Fall/Early Winter, less people, long days to reflect, time just to relax and listen to the rain, albergues far apart, but with enough room.

My first try to the French Camino was in May 2012, after 3 days, i decided it was not for me. The large amount of people fighting for albergues, the restaurants so crowed that you have to line up for a long time. To each his own, but this was not for me. I went back the same year in November, and MAGIC, true MAGIC was there.

Many folks love to walk in the summer, just not for me.

There are many sporting stores in the South trying to organize trips to the Camino for the summer, again, it is starting to sound like Cuba, everyone trying to get there before the big hotels come in. I guess, everyone wants to get to the Camino before it becomes just another tourist destination.

Peregrinos, Buen Camino.

Texas guy

So, then go to Walmart with only your half.
That's most possible the simplest and the funniest reply I've ever read on this forum. Thanks for that although I almost choked myself laughing!!!
:D:D:D

My expectations are sore feet, an aching hip, sunburn; dirty, sweaty clothes, eating food on my plate that has eyes, shutting out the noise in my head when I'm supposed to be listening. I have no impressions of grandeur other than a new family, beautiful vistas and a new view of the world and myself. If you hear me whining then put your fingers in your ears or walk away. I wouldn't want to spread my misery to anyone else.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my Camino people generally appear to be cheerful, with of course a few exceptions. I think the 12 good weather days helped, but even four cloudy/rainy days on the Meseta to Leon has only "dampened" spirits a little. Yesterday was my worst day on the Camino...I walked 25 km in partly sunny skies to Leon, found a bargain 3 star hotel with spa, and shared a meal and a hot tub with friends. Why my worst day? Mostly anxiety about taking my first zero day in Leon and losing contact with a group, feeling sore from a bad night's sleep on a hard bed and needing to get my second hotel, feeling like I was actually getting tired of walking after hearing the same from another pilgrim, and putting on wet socks and wet shoes to get a sad early snack of pork rinds and potato chips because I could not quite manage the 9 oclock meal time (that was moved from 7, then 8.

Life is good when that is your worst day in 17...

Arrived in Santiago last night. Best experience in my 51 years!!! Lots of "tourist" pilgrims, but only the last 100 k was crowded. No problems.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have heard from some friends that walked the French last year, you are right, things are changing rapidly. It seems like the beauty of the Camino is really being pushed as tourism in many places. This has increased the traffic, and some folks are coming with a "fun" agenda rather than with an open mind.
I felt lucky, during my 4 Caminos, (2 French, Portuguese, and Ingles), I have always walked in late Fall/Early Winter, less people, long days to reflect, time just to relax and listen to the rain, albergues far apart, but with enough room.

My first try to the French Camino was in May 2012, after 3 days, i decided it was not for me. The large amount of people fighting for albergues, the restaurants so crowed that you have to line up for a long time. To each his own, but this was not for me. I went back the same year in November, and MAGIC, true MAGIC was there.

Many folks love to walk in the summer, just not for me.

There are many sporting stores in the South trying to organize trips to the Camino for the summer, again, it is starting to sound like Cuba, everyone trying to get there before the big hotels come in. I guess, everyone wants to get to the Camino before it becomes just another tourist destination.

Peregrinos, Buen Camino.

Texas guy

Then the best solution for people in the South could be a new Camino from La Habana to Santiago (but in this case the one in Cuba) in honour of la Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre.;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am in Santiago now, having walked from Pamplona to Burgos, then due to time constraints, a train from Burgos to Ponferrada and walked from there to Santiago. Every one of the days I walked was amazing, not always easy, but amazing. Lots of the time I walked alone, yes even in the last section from Sarria. Many "herds" of people passed me, particularly in the morning, but I kept to my own pace and just seemed to be mostly be by myself whenever I wanted. I never ran for a bed. I met and walked with an assortment of very interesting people from around the world. I learned Spanish especially for this trip and speak French as well so this allowed for conversations with many folks. In addition to peregrinos, I took every opportunity to speak with local villagers asking them about their town, church, garden, horse, etc. and every one of them responded with a pride in their place and a friendly interest in me. There is a surprise waiting for you around every corner on the Camino if you are willing to be surprised. My advice: don't expect the Camino to change your life, don't become so focused on having a transformative experience that you overlook the small day to day miracles that are going on around you as you look for that big blast of magic. Don't let what others do either make or break your Camino. Don't let stories of how it's changed spoil it for you. For me, the Camino wasnt "changed", it was just the one I needed. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A simple request:

For those of us that have walked, can we try to be positive about the future of those walking behind us? It is human nature to be concerned & those who walked 20 years earlier may have had a quieter time than us. Yet we all seem to have had a rewarding experience. The Camino has existed for centuries. I have faith that long after I am pushing up plant life, it will still exist. Last time I checked we are here to help with those nervous about the journey.

I believe that the Camino is a pilgrimage not a vacation. The Camino is not Figi or Hawaii. If you go during June, July and part of August you will find crowds on the Camino Frances. Don't expect less. Students and families choose to travel at that time. If you don't have a choice maybe another Camino other than the Frances can be what you are seeking.
The Camino is not life changing unless you decide to make a change. There is something special on the Camino that is part of the experience.
It can be people, an experience, beautiful, peaceful, or a realization. You have a choice of taking all in, or missing it all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The last few days I did the burgos to leon stretch, I'm now in a Tiny village el ganso.

I think I passed the huge bump of crowds. It seemed to diminish after naverette - carrion de los condes.

I don't know how big of an effect this is, but there's this giant group of American students, probably in logrono right now that's walking for their class. Great kids but they number up to 100. And maybe there are other programs like that

All that said, this is the best experience I've had in my life thus far. The people, the towns, random locals helping you out, the food. Even the trail. I'm on bike so I get rewarded by downhills, instead of punished.

I pack a lightweight poncho and carry a lightweight roll matt. Three tent pegs and couple of bungees. that way if there is no room at the inn I can pitch it under a tree etc and Hey presto a shelter is born. not for everyone but it has helped me more than once in the past. Also roll matt can always be used on floor in small corner somewhere. All will be fine just have a great time.

Buen Camino

"Three tent pegs and couple of bungees" what do you mean, ??? a tent out of your poncho, whats the bungees do ? its a great idea and alternative for me if i run into albergues problems.

Joef

It is often observed that the Camino is a metaphor for life. As in life, generally, there are good days and bad days. There are ups and there are downs. There are joys and there are sorrows.

But, the sole important considerations are that you show up, pay attention, treat others as you would be treated, and just put one foot in front of the other and repeat, several hundred thousand times, until you arrive at the Cathedral in Santiago. Everything else will sort itself out.;)

The Camino does provide... You just need to be open to recognize when you have received a gift... It is sometimes very subtle, you might even miss it. But, every day is a new opportunity for learning, growth, and a new life's experience. Learn to roll with each day as it unfolds.

I hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
"Three tent pegs and couple of bungees" what do you mean, ??? Joef

Try putting that phrase into Google (tm). Who said education ends with the 11-plus.? Me, I prefer 4 tent pegs and 4 Bungees, But then I am a self indulgent, comfort-seeking old sod that likes to be assured that my Basha ain't going anywhere while I'm sleeping.

And to save you a few hours on the Goog. All you need is a waterproof cover - poncho, groundsheet, tarp - and somewhere to suspend it and you have a snore-free Albergue (cold showers only).

It's an ugly norm that in the United States th if you are not from our country you must speak back Street redneck English like all US arrogant Americans. We are guests in a foriegn country and our arrogance should be checked before leaving the USA. I will defend our social irregularities to a point but APOC members, Americans grow up or stay home. 9 years in 9 different parts of Spain, France and Portugal and I can honestly say that the issues we are seeing is our arrogance.
I am not sure where this came from but in order to understand your opinion as to why you are faulting US citizens for?? PM me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"Three tent pegs and couple of bungees" what do you mean, ??? a tent out of your poncho, whats the bungees do ? its a great idea and alternative for me if i run into albergues problems.

Joef

I'll try and explain. I use an old military poncho. The bungee is threaded through middle eyelet at one end of poncho and put round tree etc about waist hight. Two pegs are used at other end through corner eyelets and pulled tight. Then thread bungee through each of corner at end against tree stretch them out and peg them. (should have said 4 bungees sorry) and Hey presto a small bivi shelter is born. Sorry if my explanation isn't good I will try and find a picture and pm it to you.

All the best

Ah, human being. So perfectly defective...

If we are on the way and there's a crowd on the way... perhaps, may we be part of the crowd? May we be the crowd?

With the french done, i have started the north way. So different, so empty, so hard. Every day i thought it wasn't for me. Too many dogs, sun and rain, and the mountains, ah the mountains; these basque guys don't know the zig-zag concept... but i really miss it now that i'm back in home.

Even the worst things are a part of the experience, part of the pilgrimage, part of the challenge.

That's why we walk.

That's why we live.

Isn't it?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'll try and explain. I use an old military poncho. The bungee is threaded through middle eyelet at one end of poncho and put round tree etc about waist hight. Two pegs are used at other end through corner eyelets and pulled tight. Then thread bungee through each of corner at end against tree stretch them out and peg them. (should have said 4 bungees sorry) and Hey presto a small bivi shelter is born. Sorry if my explanation isn't good I will try and find a picture and pm it to you.

All the best

Thanks for getting back to me, A picture would be great, i'm scanning the net now for old school military poncho, i think i know what you mean..... i'm sure you understand that i don't want to carry a tent but your great idea is a brilliant alternative, Cheers

Thanks for getting back to me, A picture would be great, i'm scanning the net now for old school military poncho, i think i know what you mean..... i'm sure you understand that i don't want to carry a tent but your great idea is a brilliant alternative, Cheers
He may be referring to something similar to this (found the photo on the net). The old school military ponchos were designed to be multi-use. You can also combine it with a poncho liner and make a sleep sack.
ExpedBivyPonch05.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back