• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

What's in your first aid kit?

Time of past OR future Camino
(SJPP - Finisterre)
Just looking for ideas about what people specifically bring that constitutes their first aid kit, as last year it occurred to me mine was seriously lacking, and, although I'm an ultra-light hiker, I want to do better this year.

So what did you bring, and for what purpose?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is what I'm taking:
Gauze
Bandage
Germoline
Antihistamine cream
Plasters
Micropore tape
Ibuprofen
Antiseptic wipes

Mine has:
Scissors
Tweezers
Sewing needles
Antiseptic wipes
Tape (Micropore or similar)
A few antibiotic, antihistamine and ibuprofen tablets (enough to get to a doctor or pharmacy)
Gel lined toe tubes (for husband's toe blisters - I'm kind)
Anti-fungal/anti-bacterial cream

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very small amounts of:
Plasters
Blister Plasters (Compeed)
Moleskin (for “hot spots”)
Anadin
Actifed (for hayfever)
Rennies
Immodium
Ibuprofen
Betadine (antiseptic cream)
Bandages (a couple of small ones)
Voltaren Cream (a small tube)

Much the same as Ian Afloat, except we always have a triangular bandage in the kit.
Can be used as:
a simple bandage
a sling
a tourniquet
eye bandage
pad for a wound
a bandana
shade from the sun
wet it and wear it around the neck in hot weather
a strap or makeshift belt and I'm sure many other improvisations if needed

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just looking for ideas about what people specifically bring that constitutes their first aid kit, as last year it occurred to me mine was seriously lacking, and, although I'm an ultra-light hiker, I want to do better this year.

You started of with the right question; What to bring for what purpose. In general there are two types of incidents that your first aid kit should be prepared for:

Accidents: dog bites, heavy fall, sprained ankle, etc.

Suggestions to carry: field dressing, compression bandage.

Purpose: temporary fix so you can get professional help (when needed) or to get to the next accommodation to think about the impact of your injury on your pilgrimage

Inconveniences: blisters, cuts, etc.

Suggestions to carry: safety pin for draining blister, iodine, adhesive bandage, tape.

Purpose: being able to deal with an inconvenience when it occurs; buy additional supplies as needed at local pharmacy.

Also bring a pain killer, pair of scissors and a thermometer.

What to bring of course depends on experience: when you get blisters easily, or get sore feet, hips etc; bring more supplies to deal with them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
all of the above! Plus some Dioralyte sachets – fast replacement of body salts and liquid for those with diarrhoea or exhaustion or dehydration.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Hi, the things I bring are,
tape , small bottle of alcohol and
needles for blisters (never needed those items only for helping others )
some pain killers .
That's it, when you need something else
you can go to a farmacie.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Back