• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's it like walking El Camino Frances in June/July?

Nicklas Lind

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés in June 2015!
Hello everybody!

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while now as I'm planning my first Camino after many years of dreaming about it!

Now the time has finally come, and as soon as I'm done with my exams in May/June I'm heading to SJPdP.

With that said, I've been wondering what it's like walking the Camino in the June/July timeframe, seeing as it gets very hot there compared to what I'm used to in the cold but beautiful Northern Denmark where I reside.

Do you guys have some tricks to handle the heat or just some general thoughts about taking care of oneself under the Spanish sunshine?

And another question: How many fellow pilgrims tend to walk the Camino in June/July? I know that many pilgrims start in August, so I'm just wondering if the Camino will be totally full or empty when I'm going :)

Thanks in advance and buen Camino!

Nicklas (24, Denmark).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everybody!

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while now as I'm planning my first Camino after many years of dreaming about it!

Now the time has finally come, and as soon as I'm done with my exams in May/June I'm heading to SJPdP.

With that said, I've been wondering what it's like walking the Camino in the June/July timeframe, seeing as it gets very hot there compared to what I'm used to in the cold but beautiful Northern Denmark where I reside.

Do you guys have some tricks to handle the heat or just some general thoughts about taking care of oneself under the Spanish sunshine?

And another question: How many fellow pilgrims tend to walk the Camino in June/July? I know that many pilgrims start in August, so I'm just wondering if the Camino will be totally full or empty when I'm going :)

Nicklas (24, Denmark).
Hello Nicklas!

I walked in July/August last year from SJPdP to Santiago and sure, it was hot weather, but I thought it will be much worse! The best weather was in the mountains and forests and of course the worst one was on the fields without shadows. I was happy for this weather and I wanna walk again asap and again in summer.

Otherwise, there were quite a lot of people, but always you could sleep in albergue, no problem. The worst part was from Sarria to Santiago! Soooo many people..:)

Happy planning!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year July 3- Aug. 9 was pretty hot outside of the mountains. Biggest accommodation you need to make is footwear. Boots were too hot for me, causing heat rash and blisters. Keen sandals and very well-ventilated trail shoes ended up working much better. Also check my gear report (separate thread) for an idea on clothing for the hot middle section of the walk.

Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello everybody!

Nicklas (24, Denmark).
Lots of people, and this year we're headed for a new record and very very hot in the Meseta, la Rioja and Souther Navarra, followed by warm to possible very warm in Galicia.
More opportunities to meet pilgrims and drink cold beer!
(Start early, break of dawn. Don't walk after 2 pm in the Meseta. Drink lots of water. Wear a big hat... :)

Hello everybody!

Nicklas (24, Denmark).

Hi Nicklas, June 2014 was very hot, especially on the Meseta. I agree with the suggestions made by others here - start walking very early, so that you can relax at your destination in the afternoon, and consider wearing trail shoes rather than boots.

Buen Camino!
Nuala

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked June/July of 2014 and it was a mixed bag from very hot and sunny, to cool and rainy. I even wore my socks one morning for gloves when higher up in the mountains. I loved it all, the flowers were in bloom and the weather was typically comfortable. Buen Camino!

Hello everybody!

Nicklas (24, Denmark).
In 2013, we started June 4th and finished July6th. I don't know if it was an uncommonly warm summer but the last week was incredibly hot. What was funny is that my sister and I are from Texas...we noticed early on that a lot of northern Europeans start looking for an Albergue about 2:00 pm and we would soon find ourselves the only pilgrims still walking. Having said that, even being from Texas that last week (June 30th to July6th) was a very hot week. Only had three days of rain during the whole trip. Hope this helps.

I walked the CF from SJPdP to Santiago last June-July. I thought the weather was perfect. I walked wearing shorts and a t-shirt everyday. Never got very hot at all and a little chilly in the mornings and evenings, but a fleece jacket was all that was needed, but I would see some peregrinos bundled up in the morning like "Nanook of the North", ha ha. I experienced 2-3 rainy days, but nothing that bad.
Wear a good hat, sunscreen and drink plenty of water.
There are weather websites you can research that show past year's weather in different parts of Spain for different dates.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
... in May/June I'm heading to SJPdP. With that said, I've been wondering what it's like walking the Camino in the June/July timeframe, seeing as it gets very hot there compared to what I'm used to in the cold but beautiful Northern Denmark where I reside.Do you guys have some tricks to handle the heat or just some general thoughts about taking care of oneself under the Spanish sunshine?

And another question: How many fellow pilgrims tend to walk the Camino in June/July? I know that many pilgrims start in August, so I'm just wondering if the Camino will be totally full or empty when I'm going :)...

Very hot compared to Denmark, start with first light, take a siesta around noon, walk on in the late afternoon/early evening if you want to. Drink lots of water, eat salty food and check the color of your urine (the darker it is, the more dehydrated you are).

You will see hundreds of fellow pilgrims each day - great choice to find your ideal Camino family ;-)

Buen Camino! SY

Hi Nicklas!

I walked June 27-July 27th last summer, had some pretty hot days on the Meseta but overall lucked out with cool mornings and evenings and maybe only 2 days of rain. I know it might be different this year, but hopefully you'll get a repeat of nice weather. Like others suggested, start early if you want to avoid the hottest part of the day. I didn't like walking into the late afternoon or evening, but some of my friends loved it (like someone above suggested, they took looooong lunch breaks and then started walking when the heat of the day was past).

My best trick, on the really hot days, was to stop for ice cream. :)

I didn't find it too crowded (not until the end), and made so many friends but could also walk alone pretty easily- sometimes I couldn't see anyone ahead or behind, and it was nice to have that space (but then nice to run into friends at the next town).

Buen Camino!

Hot and busy.
You look young.
You'll have a blast!

Here is my version of Lovingkindness' photo of walking in July:

27y1og1.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hot and busy.
You look young.
You'll have a blast!
Perfect answer.
If my fifty-something year old butt could walk it twice during the summer with no problems, someone half my age should be able to practically jog the whole thing. I know I could have when I was in my twenties.

In 2013, we started June 4th and finished July6th. I don't know if it was an uncommonly warm summer but the last week was incredibly hot. What was funny is that my sister and I are from Texas...we noticed early on that a lot of northern Europeans start looking for an Albergue about 2:00 pm and we would soon find ourselves the only pilgrims still walking. Having said that, even being from Texas that last week (June 30th to July6th) was a very hot week. Only had three days of rain during the whole trip. Hope this helps.
My sister and two of my sons are walking this June from the 4th to the 4th of July. I too, have been wondering about the weather. We're from California and are pretty used to a warm climate, I am glad to hear about your camino and the weather that you experienced.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back