• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's on your pilgrimage bucket list?

Charl

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis 2014
I wonder what routes are on the bucket lists of pilgrims who enjoy walking those long, long distances. Obviously for newcomers it'll be the Camino Frances, but what about others not only in Spain but in Italy and France? Would you consider doing a pilgrimage somewhere else in the world, and what route would it be? Why would these be top of your list of pilgrimage to-dos? Name your top three! I'll start: Via Francigena del Sud (after we did the VF Lausanne-Rome last year); Camino del Norte, for the coast, and the Via Egnatia, because it's new and looks exciting.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have walked the Frances twice, and the Norte/Primitivo combo. This June I will tackle the Le Puy route in France as far as Moissac.
I do love Italy, so the Via Francigena is tucked in the back of my mind. Also, the San Salvador combined with the remainder of the Norte.

I had thought of doing St Patrick’s Purgatory in Ireland. Thank God I woke up! Must have been the Tullamore D.E.W. I drank last night.
Is it something like this?

Attachments

• 980CBE4D-3922-49BB-AEEE-E0190CF4BB0F.jpeg
    980CBE4D-3922-49BB-AEEE-E0190CF4BB0F.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 18
Just walking from my front door in Belgium to Santiago. Starting here with the Via Monastica and then walking through France on the Via Turonensis, a little sidetour to Bayonne, next on the Camino Baztan and then I will see...;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Like many others, every now and then I fantasise about walking from my front door. It'd be impossible to come from South Africa, so it would be from Berlin where I live now. Still, it's a 90-day trip if I don't rush it and take an occasional rest day - and lets be honest, which adult without a large trust fund has that kind time and funding?

Since I've done the Norte (and want to do at least one more before I return to walk it another 15 times - it's just so beautful!), I'd say the rest of my bucket list is Portugese and either the Invierno or del Salvador y Primativo.

Either to or from Jerusalem to Santiago, as yet to make my mind up which direction to go! (open to suggestions). I saw a website for a two month walk through Jordon which got me thinking about this, and it soon formulated into a loose plan.

The long term plan for when my daughter leaves school in a few years, and I can take six months for a long walk, is Te Araroa, the full length of New Zealand. Its a pleasant thought as I get ready for another week on a Sunday night....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Google Maps say it's 3,912 kilometres from my front door in St Petersburg to the cathedral in Santiago, or 805 hours of walking. Thank God we have airplanes and other wonderful things :)

My ultimate goal is to walk from Chartres to Santiago (the Via Turonensis + Camino Frances). I've already estimated that it'll take about two months, so no chance of going while I work where I work now. But one day... :)

And someday, I'd like to walk the entire Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome and then continue to Brindisi, fly to Tel Aviv, and continue to Jerusalem.

Meanwhile, I'm planning walking the Via Turonensis from Paris to Chartres, the Camino Portugues with a friend, and the Camino Primitivo. I'm also thinking of the Camino Invierno - here in Russia, we have long New Year/Christmas holidays lasting for more than a week, so I could walk it without actually taking a vacation.

I would love to walk from my front door to Santiago de Compostela, that's about 8908 kilometers, but there is a big ocean to cross, so, no go. Planning, planning, planning, currently planning my walk on Camino Portugues from Lisboa to SdC, dates to be determined. To all caminantes, buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 88 Temples route in Japan. The whole thing, so roughly 4 months - when I'm a pensioner. I'll probably spend the year before we go learning rudimentary Japanese.

There's a walk in Jordan that I'd like to do, as well, but right now, you can only do parts of it, with a group. A bit more peace and stability in the region, and a wee bit more infrastructure, please...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Getting through my next CF in one piece............ (with my marriage intact)
'She who must be obeyed' is joining me.

After that, if I am phsically able, I'd like to try a long one.
Maybe Le Puy to Sdc
or VdlP.
She who must be obeyed' is joining me.
It's giving and taking Robo .
My wife Marianne and I are so different in lenght , thats why it's not easy to do long walks together.
She walked alone from SJPdP to Santiago and I walked alone to .
That works fine for us.

Wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Not really a pilgrimage, but it definitely qualifies as a "long walk". In the States, as well as the familiar Appalachian Trail (~6m) or the Pacific Coast Trail (~5m) there is the Mountain to Sea Trail in North Carolina (2000km - ~2m-3m). It runs from Clingman's Dome in the Smokie Mountians to Kill Devil Hills on the Atlantic Coast. A portion of the trail can be chopped off by taking stopping after Raleigh and taking the Neuse River route via Canoe. Being in NC myself, I've walked portions of the trail as part of day-hikes.
The first third is similar to the AT (a wilderness hike); the remainder is more like Camino (mixed trail and roads). The Neuse River Kayak/Canoe portion sounds just plain cool!
It's on the bucket list for about 2022 as a retirement present for myself and my bride.

€83,-
I'd like to walk from the South of Portugal, like Faro or Lagos to Santiago. I've walked between Santarem and Porto and Porto and Santiago taking the central route both times, now thinking of walking along the coast at some point for a change.

Sure Heda but you will have to do a lot of rowing to get here.;)
Ah no I have a plan. I only have to row as far Vietnam. From there I can catch trains all the way to Belgium. Before Christmas I even worked out the timetables. Well to be precise I worked out the timetables all the way to Madrid. It would take well over a week but is surprisingly cheap. :D

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back