• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's the best way to get to St. Jean Pied de Port?

Tina M.

Time of past OR future Camino
May 13, 2015
Hi all,

My husband and I are planning to walk in the fall of 2015. I've read numerous posts about getting to St. Jean Pied de Port and wanted to know your thoughts. I know there are options but would like to know how you arrived in St. Jean and what you thought of that part of your journey.

I know one option is flying into Paris and taking the train to Bayonne then to St. Jean. I know we can take a bus from Pamplona. I would like to arrive in St. Jean in the late morning/early afternoon but the train schedule I found, shows the train from Paris to Bayonne to St. Jean getting into St. Jean around 7:30pm.

My first thought was to fly into Paris on a Sunday, spend the day in Paris, then on a Monday, take the train to St. Jean. I just don't want to get in so late. My husband talked about flying into Madrid or Pamplona and taking a bus.

Your thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Buen camino!

Tina

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It depends on how long you have really. There is a lot to be said for starting a week 'upstream' from St Jean - then your arrive by walking and have already toned up the body in prep for the journey to Roncesvalles. I started my first Camino in Moissac, in France - and absolutely loved walking in France. (and if one starts in Moissac one walks through Condom, which has to be the most perfectly named town to send postcards from).

As for your options - I find it somewhat a little odd (my opinion only) to go over the mountains from Spain in a vehicle to then walk back over the mountains to Spain.
The train option is rather pleasant. A cute little train, filled with nervous pilgrims, who are trying not to look at the mountains too much!, that wanders its way through a lovely landscape and arrives, with almost a pleasant sigh, at St Jean. Where it is only a short walk to the centre ... 7.30pm? Why not. A meal, a glass of wine, a stroll around a new town, standing on the old bridge looking down at the fish .....why not? ..... start as you mean to go on.
Buen Camino

Tina:

A lot depends on what you want to do besides walking the Camino. Where are you coming from? Do you plan to do anything in Europe before/after your Camino? Is cost a factor?

I have flown into London, Paris, Barcelona and Madrid on my Camino's. My port of entry choice now is Madrid. I find it the easiest in and out.

There is no easy way to SJPdP.

From London, I went by car to Stansted, flew Ryan-air to Biarritz, cab ride to Bayonne and local train to SJPdP.

From Paris, cab to Montparnesse train station, train to Bayonne, then local train to SJPdP.

From Barcelona, cab to train station, train to Pamplona, bus cab to SJPdP.

From Madrid, cab to train station, train to Pamplona, bus cab to SJPdP.

All very long travel days.

The real benefit from my perspective, if going straight home, is getting back to your city of entry. Madrid is the cheapest and easiest of these cities to get to from Santiago.

Another option would be a multi-city ticket or open jaw ticket. Others could speak more to this option.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Tina,
I will be flying from Denver to Paris. When I get to Paris I will either take the Air France bus or a cab to Gare Montparnesse train station, then train to Bayonne....I won't get there until that night so I am spending the night in Bayonne. Then onto SJDP by the local train the next morning. I have not yet decided if I shall leave for Orrison that day, (which is only a little over two hour walk) or spend that night in SJDP and leave for Roncesvalles (the longer walk)by 7am the following morning. I know I will be tired and thought perhaps a night in Bayonne and possibly one more in SJDP would get me off to a good start. The hardest part to this whole thing seems to be the logistics of getting there and back...oh, by the way, for my return, I will be taking Ryanair from SJDP to Madrid and then on to the US from there! But, read through this forum.. there are people with experience and awesome advice and tips that can help you in your planning!

Buen Camino!
Rosemary:D

I flew into Bilbao, then a bus to Pamplona, stayed the night, took the 1400 bus to SJPDP, got there around 1530-1600 and went straight to the Pilgrims office to get my credential stamped, they offered a bed for 8€ with breakfast at the municipal albergue and then walked me up the street to show me to my bed, everyone else who arrived later had to get private accommodations.
I had more than enough time to walk around, shop for food for the next day, and go out for my first pilgrim meal (with Gateau Basque for dessert)

I flew into Bilbao, then a bus to Pamplona, stayed the night, took the 1400 bus to SJPDP, got there around 1530-1600 and went straight to the Pilgrims office to get my credential stamped, they offered a bed for 8€ with breakfast at the municipal albergue and then walked me up the street to show me to my bed, everyone else who arrived later had to get private accommodations.
I had more than enough time to walk around, shop for food for the next day, and go out for my first pilgrim meal (with Gateau Basque for dessert)

Bajaracer, can you say about what was the approx. duration of your train from Bilbao to Pamplona?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I flew Vancouver to London Heathrow, took the connector bus to London Stansted and stayed a night there. Then I flew from London Stansted to Biarritz with RyanAir.

The main problem was arriving in SJPdP at around 20h00. I had some concerns about spending much time in Bayonne as I am not at all fluent in French and so went direct to SJPdP. Since it was late October it was dark. By the time I got settled into my booked accomodation it was close to 22h00 and most restaurants were closed. I ended up staying an extra day in SJPdP to deal with jet lag. The language ability really wasn't an issue. If I do this again I will likely stay in Bayonne for a night and catch an early train.

Biarritz Airport (BIQ) is the closest airport to SJPdP. If you plan to start at SJPdP, travel via BIQ is the least complicated way of access that I have found.

Catch the #14 bus from Biarritz (Anglet Airport) to Gare Bayonne (about 40 minutes and cost 1 euro). Buses stop running around 20h00.

The SNCF TER 62 train to SJPdP leaves from Gare Bayonne.

Biarritz Airport (BIQ)

http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Airlines flying to BIQ
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/destination/compagnie.html

Chronoplus, the local bus system.
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Chronoplus Map
http://www.chronoplus.eu/ftp/Plan_reseau_chronoplus_jan2013.pdf

SNCF (TER)
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Gare Bayonne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Bayonne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Tina,
I will be flying from Denver to Paris. When I get to Paris I will either take the Air France bus or a cab to Gare Montparnesse train station, then train to Bayonne....I won't get there until that night so I am spending the night in Bayonne. Then onto SJDP by the local train the next morning. I have not yet decided if I shall leave for Orrison that day, (which is only a little over two hour walk) or spend that night in SJDP and leave for Roncesvalles (the longer walk)by 7am the following morning. I know I will be tired and thought perhaps a night in Bayonne and possibly one more in SJDP would get me off to a good start. The hardest part to this whole thing seems to be the logistics of getting there and back...oh, by the way, for my return, I will be taking Ryanair from SJDP to Madrid and then on to the US from there! But, read through this forum.. there are people with experience and awesome advice and tips that can help you in your planning!

Buen Camino!

Rosemary:

I recommend you stay in Orisson. This will break up, imo, the toughest day of the Frances. It will also allow you to share a meal and spend time with fellow Pilgrims.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi Tina,

Buen Camino!

Roseymary I made the flight from the East Coast to Paris and landed at CDG...took an easy bus ride to Orley and caught a plane to Biarritz. There a cab service picked up a few pilgrims who had previously arranged pick-up.
I know coming from Colorado would seem like a longer trip then I had BUT I had to go from a southern state up to NYC so it might not have been much different then your flight time wise.
I wanted to throw that idea out to you as well. The bus to Orley scared me until I saw how easy it was to do it...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We spent a few days in Paris, then he went back home and I took the trains to SJPdP. The only tough part was the connection to the last train - no one in the station could point me onto the right track! I made it with about half a minute to spare!! As said previously, the last train was fun, exciting, crowded with lots of nervous pilgrims (me included).

I flew into Barcelona, bus to Pamplona where I took another bus ride to SJPDP. Bus to Pamplona was 24 Euros, ride to SJPDP was 9 Euros (shared van). All the same day, I even had time to explore SJPDP. Bus from Barcelona to Pamplona already drops you off at the bus station for the bus ride to SJPDP, an advantage over taking the train. Could not have been easier from Barcelona.

I am not sure if you fly much between the US and Europe, but I always find that my trips back to Europe always are harder dealing with jet lag than my trips going to the US. If you have a sense how you deal with this, it may be worth taking a day or two just adjusting to the new time zone. I am partial to Paris for adjusting. The real issue is your time limitations, etc. If you spent a day in Paris, then took the train to Bayonne, I would still stay in Bayonne, and then take the morning train over to St. Jean.

There really are a lot of choices; go from Bayonne over to Lourdes and begin your walk from there. You have plenty of time to explore your options, identify your objectives, and then plan, then reflect and plan anew.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola,

i'm not sure where you are coming from, but if not on mainland Europe, where you arrive might be a mitigating factor (I flew from Vienna to Bayonne, which was no difficult or expensive). Otherwise, I found if very easy to get from Bayonne to SJPdP on the morning train. You arrive around lunchtime along with a lot of others. FYI, the Monte Carlo Hotel and Café, opposite the Railway Station in Bayonne is small but adequate and very convenient. The hotelier was extremely helpful to someone who was just a little nervous heading towards the start of 'my Camino'. The café has a great feel and the food is good. If you are looking for a sim card, I found one in a new shop, Espace Mobile at 34 Place de Republique, quite close to the Monte Carlo. That helped me bridge communications until I finally found an Orange shop in Pamplona.

Roseymary I made the flight from the East Coast to Paris and landed at CDG...took an easy bus ride to Orley and caught a plane to Biarritz. There a cab service picked up a few pilgrims who had previously arranged pick-up.
I know coming from Colorado would seem like a longer trip then I had BUT I had to go from a southern state up to NYC so it might not have been much different then your flight time wise.
I wanted to throw that idea out to you as well. The bus to Orley scared me until I saw how easy it was to do it...
Thank you and I will definitely check this out!!:D

I flew into Barcelona, bus to Pamplona where I took another bus ride to SJPDP. Bus to Pamplona was 24 Euros, ride to SJPDP was 9 Euros (shared van). All the same day, I even had time to explore SJPDP. Bus from Barcelona to Pamplona already drops you off at the bus station for the bus ride to SJPDP, an advantage over taking the train. Could not have been easier from Barcelona.

Olivares,
Can you please define roughly what the travel times were from Barcelona to Pamplona and Pamplona to SJPDP when taking the bus?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fly into Pamplona... Contact Corazon Puro... Incredibly nice people! I cannot recommend them more highly! The pick you up in Pamplona, you go back with them to their pension, you have dinner with them & sleep the night there. In the morning they feed you breakfast and drive you to SJPdP. This couple is seasoned pilgrims and have loads of great advice! We were so lucky to find them!

I really like the concept of using Corazon Puro.
I will be flying from Charlotte NC and haven't even begun the travel process.Assuming that I connect in some reasonable fashion into Pamplona.....can you see staying at Corazon one night, using their service to STJPdP the next day and then walking to Orrison that day in time for dinner.
If I am off base, give me your thoughts on more intelligent approach....please?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I really like the concept of using Corazon Puro.
I will be flying from Charlotte NC and haven't even begun the travel process.Assuming that I connect in some reasonable fashion into Pamplona.....can you see staying at Corazon one night, using their service to STJPdP the next day and then walking to Orrison that day in time for dinner.
If I am off base, give me your thoughts on more intelligent approach....please?

If your intent is to start walking in SJPdP it makes no sense to go to Pamplona (even as it seems to be a popular thing to do).

Public transport connects SJPdP to Bayonne. Bayonne is a railway, bus, and plane hub easily accessed from Paris, Madrid, and London.

Pamplona is nowhere near as well connected. Travel via Pamplona only makes sense if you intend to start walking in Roncesvalles or Pamplona.

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes every bit of sense to fly into Madrid from the West Coast of the US, then bus to Pamplona for some people.

For one thing, when you are on the Camino, you are too tired to see Pamplona, and there is a lot to see there.
Flying into Madrid, then taking the bus to Pamplona to recover is a good way to not only get over the jet lag before you start walking. It's a good way to see Pamplona.
Then when on the Camino, you simply walk through if you're doing the "between stages" and you miss a lot of pilgrim traffic.

For another thing, it is simple and inexpensive to get to SJPP from Pamplona.
There are taxis you can share, buses you can take, and Corazon Puro's offer.

Buses only run from Pamplona to SJPdP at select times of the year and then there is but one or two per day.

Taxis are not cheap.

SJPdP is a pleasant place to recover from Jet Lag too.

So going to SJPdP via Pamplona only makes sense if you intend to go see the sights ... and everything I'm reading here is that people are anxious to get started on the walk.

I note Corazon Puro is located in Viskarret ... on the camino some 30km outside of Pamplona ... so probably a nice place to stay day two or three after leaving SJPdP.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, Folks.....more than a few ways to skin the cat.
Appreciate your thoughts!

Researching, trains and busses from Pamploma ( our starting point ) we have decided to taxi into SJPdP. There are 2 of us so far and would be happy to share the ride with you. This will turn out cheaper for all! We are leaving from Charleston arriving on the 24th at 130pm

Researching, trains and busses from Pamploma ( our starting point ) we have decided to taxi into SJPdP. There are 2 of us so far and would be happy to share the ride with you. This will turn out cheaper for all! We are leaving from Charleston arriving on the 24th at 130pm
Would love to join you. Have to see if reservations can be made to get there at right time.
Where are you staying in Pamplona?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually found that Pension Pura will give us a night in private room, dinner, breakfast and pick us up at the airport and give us a ride to SJPdP the next day for little more than the price of the taxi! We are staying here and canceling the taxi.

I know I am late to join this thread but I did want to follow up on Joe Flavin's earlier mention of open jaw plane tickets. I've walked about 13 caminos, and have done almost every variation suggested in these posts. About 8 years ago, I decided that going in and out of Madrid was my preferred route, for the reason Joe gave, that it is always going to be easiest to go from Santiago to Madrid than to anywhere else.

Then two years ago, on the advice of annakappa, I think, I investigated the cost of flying to my starting point and flying home from Santiago. I was really surprised to find that for my Camino Levante, flying Chicago-Madrid-Valencia and Santiago-Madrid-Chicago was only about $100 more than flying Chicago-Madrid-Chicago. That is a LOT less than the costs of train/bus/taxi etc from Madrid to Valencia and Santiago to Madrid. This is particularly true because it is impossible to leave Santiago on bus or train and arrive in time for a flight to the US the same day, which means I always had an overnight in Madrid (not saying there's anything wrong with that!).

For my 2014 Camino, it was the same. I'm flying Chicago-Madrid-Bilbao and Santiago-Madrid-Chicago for not much more than the RT from Chicago to Madrid. Plus, I will arrive in Bilbao around 1 pm and have plenty of time to go to the post office, buy my phone, food, etc, and get a good night's sleep to start walking the Olvidado the next day.

So I would recommend to everyone that you check out the open jaw option, which you can find by going to the multi-city option on travel websites.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Actually found that Pension Pura will give us a night in private room, dinner, breakfast and pick us up at the airport and give us a ride to SJPdP the next day for little more than the price of the taxi! We are staying here and canceling the taxi.
I have made tentative plane reservations that will get me to Pamplona around 4pm on the 24th....I will try to get reservation at Corazon Puro for the night.
Just for comparison sake , could you share your flight info.....not necessarily flight numbers but cities and approx. times.
Perhaps there are alternatives to my itinerary!

We are leaving CHS at 1230pm British Airways to DFW arriving 230 pm. Departing DFW British Airway 5:50 pm arrive Madrid 24 April @'1005 am connecting Iberia air 1255 pm arrive Pamplona 150 pm. we booked through Vayama.com leaving Spain from Santiago to Madrid, then Miami home to CHS use the multi city function on Vayama. Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back