• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's the Camino routine - 1st time on pilgrimage

Paulo Arantes

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Apr/May 2017
Frances Oct/Nov 2024
I've got a LOT of information from this site but one thing still makes me a little nervous about the walk.

What is your routine during the walk? I mean, I have plenty of information regarding the walk, equipment, taking care of the blisters, but when you arrive to your destination, what is the order you do your routine? Look for the albergue, buy food, sit to talk to friends?! You leave your luggage on the albergue and go out for a meal, you cook it there, you wash your clothes right away, is it ok to leave your luggage on the bed...

I really like to cook (although I am a physician). Is it ok to cook more food and offer for other pilgrims to have company for dinner??

I really think I should relax and let the camino show me the routine but I am a little anxious about this part... So, what is your best routine on an average day??

Thank you for your attenttion.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
is it ok to leave your luggage on the bed...
I'll address this one first - NO!
Never put your pack on your bed. When I was at the public donativo albergue in Ponferreda one of the hospitaleros saw packs on a couple of beds and took them away. Their owners got a good talking to about leaving packs on the beds.

My routine after walking was shower, wash and hang clothes on the line, and only then could I relax.

By the time I was done with that it was about 2:00 to 4:00, so I'd either lay down and rest, walk around town, or meet up with other pilgrims in a bar (cafe). Other than one time when I cooked for a couple of other pilgrims in the albergue kitchen I ate dinner at a restaurant or bar.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Paolo,
I prefer to find a bed first, whether it be in an albergue or something else. Only then is it really possible to shower and start doing one's domestic tasks like clothes washing, food shopping, etc. After that I might have time to explore, do my journal, email, etc.

You will need to adjust your routine depending on whether you eat out, cook yourself or there is a communal meal. It will vary, and I don't think there is necessarily any 'best' routine - many different ways seem to work.

I tend to avoid hitting the bar until after everything else is done, but some people seem to make it a priority. It's very much a personal choice!!

Never put your pack on your bed. When I was at the public donativo albergue in Ponferreda one of the hospitaleros saw packs on a couple of beds and took them away. Their owners got a good talking to about leaving packs on the beds.

My routine after walking was shower, wash and hang clothes on the line, and only then could I relax.

By the time I was done with that it was about 2:00 to 4:00, so I'd either lay down and rest, walk around town, or meet up with other pilgrims in a bar (cafe). Other than one time when I cooked for a couple of other pilgrims in the albergue kitchen I ate dinner at a restaurant or bar.

Idem for me. But when I arrived early enough and finished my daily chores around three in afternoon I would ( when in bigger town ) search for a restaurant that not only served a pilgrim's menu but a slightly more expensive menu del dia : most of times higher quality and more vetables to choose from . And I had this a my main meal in the afternoon.

Then a stroll around town and finding a shop for some small snacks and fruit for the next day.

Same here. Find a lodging / bed is #1. Shower, do the laundry (giving it maximum chance to dry).
Maybe relax a bit depending on the time. Wander about the town / village to check out places for dinner and to see you else had arrived (people I might know).

The odd exception might be, on walking into town you will often come upon what I call 'Pilgrim Central'. An obvious plaza with cafes or maybe even just a single cafe in a small village, that has loads of Pilgrims sitting around having a drink or a meal. If I saw friends, I might stop for a brief chat, one drink, or to find out where and when they were meeting up for a meal. (I didn't stay in Albergues/cook)

But normally, find lodging, laundry, then go for a wander around. You'll soon fall into a routine that suits you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Paulo, welcome to the Forum! My best routine:
1. The night before I depart on Camino, I take everything out of my pack and remove any item I think ...I Might Need.
2. Once at my starting place I check the weather for the next few days. Going to be wet and cold...I put my suntan lotion and swim suit on the bottom of my pack and move my fleece, windbreaker and poncho to the top.
3. Starting my walk...I go slowly. My daily goal is seldom beyond 20 km. That way I can start about 08:00, stop about 10:00 for tea and finish about 14:00.
4. At location: claim a bunk, do not put pack on the bunk, do not leave valuables on the bunk (there may be "non pilgrims" that wander thru looking for your stuff),wash my clothes as I shower (if you put your valuables in a traveler pouch...don't hang it on the door hook. Easy to reach over when your eyes are soapy.
5. Hang out clothes...put on sandals, go to Mercado...buy food and drink...return to albergue and cook. If no cooking facilities...go out with your new Camino friends , eat and drink.
6. Return to albergue...check your laundry, check for your boots (many look similar...use bright colored laces to easily discriminate. Check the route you will start off tomorrow. If you start in darkness you may go in the wrong direction.
7. Go to sleep
8. Get up...brush your teeth...eat a bit and have a great Camino.
9. If I am walking over several weeks...I try to stop about every five days and take a room in a pension. Recharges my batteries. They may have a bar or restaurant.
10. I carry no more than €200. There are plenty it ATMs.
Just some thoughts
Buen Camino
Arn

Thank you... showering, washing clothes will probably be my priorities too...

I tend to avoid hitting the bar until after everything else is done, but some people seem to make it a priority. It's very much a personal choice!!

I am more of a coffee person than a bar person... Thank you for the tips...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1. The night before I depart on Camino, I take everything out of my pack and remove any item I think ...I Might Need.
2. Once at my starting place I check the weather for the next few days. Going to be wet and cold...I put my suntan lotion and swim suit on the bottom of my pack and move my fleece, windbreaker and poncho to the top.
3. Starting my walk...I go slowly. My daily goal is seldom beyond 20 km. That way I can start about 08:00, stop about 10:00 for tea and finish about 14:00.
4. At location: claim a bunk, do not put pack on the bunk, do not leave valuables on the bunk (there may be "non pilgrims" that wander thru looking for your stuff),wash my clothes as I shower (if you put your valuables in a traveler pouch...don't hang it on the door hook. Easy to reach over when your eyes are soapy.
5. Hang out clothes...put on sandals, go to Mercado...buy food and drink...return to albergue and cook. If no cooking facilities...go out with your new Camino friends , eat and drink.
6. Return to albergue...check your laundry, check for your boots (many look similar...use bright colored laces to easily discriminate. Check the route you will start off tomorrow. If you start in darkness you may go in the wrong direction.
7. Go to sleep
9. If I am walking over several weeks...I try to stop about every five days and take a room in a pension. Recharges my batteries. They may have a bar or restaurant.
Just some thoughts
Buen Camino
Arn

And that is why I'm a chaotic person and Arn is not! Impressive and clear routine Arn...:D

Yes, it is quite common. Kitchen space is usually limited, so working together works best. The cost of the ingredients is shared, but the cook works for free! Cleanup typically is a joint effort. Pasta is quite common, but more exotic meals are always welcome.

Pasta will probably be a good choice for me to cook as most of my dishes are confort food and take too long cooking (gumbo, beef bourguignon, vatapa (a brazilian dish), etc)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I notice that under your avatar, you indicate "Via de la Plata in may 2017" but you posted your question in the Camino Frances section. (I only mention this because the VdlP in May will probably be very hot and have fewer walkers, so your routine might be somewhat different from the busy Frances.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
7. Go to sleep
Just some thoughts
Buen Camino
Arn

Great routine Arn!!! Thank you very much.

So, leaving the luggage on the bed is a no no... is there any other kind of "faux pas" I should be aware of so I don't bother the host or other pilgrims??? (other than the regular. I won't make noise in the morning, leave things ready for when I'm leaving, etc). Is there a Camino etiquete guide?

So, leaving the luggage on the bed is a no no... is there any other kind of "faux pas" I should be aware of to not make the host mad??? (other than the regular. I won't make noise in the morning, leave things ready for when I'm leaving, etc).

Depending on the albergue rules you will not be able to handle the washing machine yourself but you will have to give your laundry to someone responsible.
Normally there will be a list of " rules " visible in the albergue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I notice that under your avatar, you indicate "Via de la Plata in may 2017" but you posted your question in the Camino Frances section. (I only mention this because the VdlP in May will probably be very hot and have fewer walkers, so your routine might be somewhat different from the busy Frances.)
You're right! When I first created my profile I was thinking on doing VDLP... I'll change it now. Thank you.

When I read your first message, I remembered my first day at my first albergue. I was unsure if I have to introduce myself with people occupying adjacent beds (I did) and watched with awe the veteran pilgrims, so at ease with the albergue routine.
To me, usually it is securing a bed (alway as priority), shower, food. Laundry (clean clothes becomes a kind of obsession, because you don't have many changes) could go from bottom to top concern.
Food. You have to consider that restaurants in Spain offer daily menus only from 12-14 hrs. If you arrive later, it is "a la carta" (which usually means more expensive). This is not a problem in more "touristy" places.
Not all albergues have kitchens, and not all villages have restaurants.
Some villages are really tiny, and the bar is the only social center, and kind of an institution. And yes, they double as cafeterias, local families come with children, etc.
In cities, fellow walkers tend to scatter away -so, paradoxically, there is less socializing.
I think that routines also depend on the season. In bad weather, you tend to stay in the albergue, so there is more social talk and organized diners.
Albergues may or may have not communal areas.
A lot of Spaniards (roughly, half of the pilgrims) also meet around the TV when there is a Real Madrid, Barca or "Alético" play, with many happy or desperate exclamations.It is fun to see them and share the moment.
You go, you see, you improvise on the spot. Don't worry too much about this.

Last edited:
I've got a LOT of information from this site but one thing still makes me a little nervous about the walk.

What is your routine during the walk? I mean, I have plenty of information regarding the walk, equipment, taking care of the blisters, but when you arrive to your destination, what is the order you do your routine? Look for the albergue, buy food, sit to talk to friends?! You leave your luggage on the albergue and go out for a meal, you cook it there, you wash your clothes right away, is it ok to leave your luggage on the bed...

I really like to cook (although I am a physician). Is it ok to cook more food and offer for other pilgrims to have company for dinner??

I really think I should relax and let the camino show me the routine but I am a little anxious about this part... So, what is your best routine on an average day??

i am sure you will run into a Camino guru by the end of day 1 who will show you the ropes... they are everywhere!

in any case, it's awesome that you have decided to do the Camino. so here are my 2 cents:

shower asap, you never know when the hot water will go. noise will be an issue, no way around it, first one up in teh morning is going to wake up everyone else in the room, no matter how quiet they try to be. there really is no such thing as a cafeteria in rural spain; bar is a synonym of cafeteria, and it is there you will go to get your coffee hit, lunch, dinner or even drinks in the eveneing. they are all 'family friendly'. have fun and Buen Camino!

Hi there! ;)

1. Wake up and bathroom
2. Walk, think, eat, drink, meditate, pray, talk, sing, a feeling of freedom and whatever you want
3. Albergue - get a bed, shower, wash a clothes, a nap
4. Go out, buy some food, walk around the city
5. Beers (maybe a cigarettes), email, diary, talk to Peregrinos and enjoy the evening
6. Bathroom and go to sleep
1. ...

Is there a Camino etiquete guide?
There is much written about good behaviour on this forum, some of it seems to be guided by self interest, and some of it is genuinely enlightened. Take all of it with caution, but if you want something useful, try this -->> https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/albergue-etiquette.7634/.

There are many wonderful interlocutors on this, but let me recommend @Rebekah Scott, @JohnnieWalker , @Tincatinker, @Arn and @wayfarer to start with as good sources of sound advice. I know that there are others that I like, and it feels a little unfair not trying to list all of them, but this would be a good start.

So much good advice, so I won't repeat it. BUT, I will encourage you that once you start walking, you should go with the flow and avoid the urge to ask questions of anyone who is a "camino guru." Though I have walked many caminos, I don't talk about that while I'm on the camino, for a couple of reasons -- first, I think that getting answers from others about what to expect next, what the next town is like, etc, takes away a lot of the joy of discovery that you will surely have without me telling you about it. Second, any opinion or advice I might give to a "newbie" might not work for him or her, so I try to avoid it altogether.

And I can also tell you that if you were to make a vatapá or some other delicious Brazilian dish, you would have an immediately huge circle of friends! I think you will find that cooks are held in very high regard on the Camino (so long as you can stay in albergues with well-equipped kitchens). It is not at all uncommon for the good cook in the group to write up a shopping list, send someone like me out to buy the food, split the cost among all diners, and have someone to help you chop and do the clean-up.

Buen camino, Paulo, and relax -- once you take your first step, all that pre-camino anxiety just falls away.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It will become very much your own construction how your routine will be in the end, it will simply come to you.
few basics:
When you enter the abode for the night and find a good bunk, roll out your sleeping bag.
This is the proper, well recognized signal to everybody that this bed is spoken for.
Lie down for a wee while, count your lucky stars that the bed is secure, stretch your back and your legs and then plan to unpack, wash up and shower in your own good time.
And wash your feet in the evening and never in the morning, they will get too soft ...
Happy trails...

Last edited:
Paulo,
Depending on the size of the community, you may find ingredients limited. I made some lovely pasta carbonara when the only meat available was bacon. Other times we were only able to get chorizo, but we enjoyed staying in the smaller towns. The communal meal is a wonderful experience whether you cook it yourself or eat what is cooked for you with the group. The main difference is timing. We found that dinner might not be served until 8 pm if cooked for you. When you are the cook you are constrained only by waiting for the store to open at the end of siesta. You'll probably enjoy both options along the way.

I am more of a coffee person than a bar person... Thank you for the tips...
A bar in Spain in not aplace where yougo to have alcohol but a cafe, which also serves alcohol (beer, cidra and cheap wine, not cocktails -it's not a pub nor a disco of anykind) and food for brekfast, luch and often dinner.

In a bar you will have your morning cafe con leche, napoletana (croissant with chocolate), croissant and/or tortilla de patata, and another cafe con leche. It is where you will patiently wait for your bowels andbladder to wake up so you can relieve them before heading out for your next few km.

A bar is also where you will have your second breakfast around 10 am, another cafe con leche, perhaps freshly squezed orange juice, and a slice of tortilla de patatas if you didn't already havesome for brekfast.

A bar in Spain is where you will order an Aquarius (electrolyte drink) , or beer, with a bocadillo (sandwich) or your daily veggies in the form of an ensalada mixta (mixted salad with a can of tuna).

A bar in Spain is where you will sit on the terrace after you are showered and laundry is done, check email with their free weefee (wifi) while enjoying some olives and crisps.

It may also be where you will have another beer with tapas or a menu del peregrino, although there are also more formalish restaurantsfor that, but they are often one and the same.

Yes, you are a "bar person", at least while on the Camino. ;)

So, leaving the luggage on the bed is a no no... is there any other kind of "faux pas" I should be aware of so I don't bother the host or other pilgrims??? (other than the regular. I won't make noise in the morning, leave things ready for when I'm leaving, etc). Is there a Camino etiquete guide?
You will likely not see a "host" in the morning as breakfast, if included is laid out the night before, and often do not evenstay on the premices. It really is not bery formal, to say the least.

Also, in some albergues you are asigned a bed. Take that one or beware of the hospy's possible wrath.

Ando, please, do NOT, start washing your clothes in the shower asthis reduces the a,oint of hot water available for others' showers. If you are ever tempted, be reminded that peeing in a shower has been documented, and I don't think you want someone else's urine on your clothes. :eek:

Also, most albergues ask you to remove your walking boots/shoes when you enter the building (they are usually very dirty if not wet and muddy!). You then either walk around in your socks, or ideally will have lightweight sandals or 'evening' footwear to put on for both inside and walking around town.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
you are a "bar person", at least while on the Camino. ;)

Returning from one Camino I met a young American woman in London. We got into conversation and she said she might like to walk a Camino some day. She also told me that for religious reasons she would never eat or drink anywhere which sold alcohol. Easy enough in her home area in the southern USA. A bit more of a problem in London. I'm not at all sure she understood quite what a challenge it would be while walking the Camino Frances.

Returning from one Camino I met a young American woman in London. We got into conversation and she said she might like to walk a Camino some day. She also told me that for religious reasons she would never eat or drink anywhere which sold alcohol. Easy enough in her home area in the southern USA. A bit more of a problem in London. I'm not at all sure she understood quite what a challenge it would be while walking the Camino Frances.
That's a new self-imposed restriction! I wish her luck with that one.

A bar in Spain in not aplace where yougo to have alcohol but a cafe, which also serves alcohol (beer, cidra and cheap wine, not cocktails -it's not a pub nor a disco of anykind) and food for brekfast, luch and often dinner.

In a bar you will have your morning cafe con leche, napoletana (croissant with chocolate), croissant and/or tortilla de patata, and another cafe con leche. It is where you will patiently wait for your bowels andbladder to wake up so you can relieve them before heading out for your next few km.

A bar is also where you will have your second breakfast around 10 am, another cafe con leche, perhaps freshly squezed orange juice, and a slice of tortilla de patatas if you didn't already havesome for brekfast.

A bar in Spain is where you will order an Aquarius (electrolyte drink) , or beer, with a bocadillo (sandwich) or your daily veggies in the form of an ensalada mixta (mixted salad with a can of tuna).

A bar in Spain is where you will sit on the terrace after you are showered and laundry is done, check email with their free weefee (wifi) while enjoying some olives and crisps.

It may also be where you will have another beer with tapas or a menu del peregrino, although there are also more formalish restaurantsfor that, but they are often one and the same.

Good point Anemone !
The "Bar" is the hub of the whole day,
you meet your fellow travelers and after the "workday" jhas ended, you compare notes, preferably in the bar/cafe cum restarant !!!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Relax! You will find your own routine and will probably vary it sometimes, depending on different variables. This is one of the things about the Camino that is so addicting. Having so few decisions to make and getting to make them however you like with nobody telling you what to do.

Except if you walk with your wife :(

If you are reading this my Love............ONLY JOKING! :eek:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

A bar in Spain is where you will engage with some of the most amazing people. It is where you will have some hearty laughs that bring tears to your eyes and where you will have some deep conversations that bring you to tears. A bar in Spain is where you will find out more about yourself than you thought possible and where others will find out more about you then you thought possible. It's where you will discuss your dreams and where you will reveal your deepest fears. It's where you will walk away from people never to see them again but you will hold them close to your soul. It is where you will find people you thought lost to you and who you will be overjoyed to meet again.

If you think that "routine" is something to worry about, then it's not unlikely that your Camino will smash that notion into bits. :p

Having said that ...

That is definitely a good thing to do. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

It's not a "faux pas", it's a sanitary precaution because bed bugs can use your pack as a taxi service.

As for etiquette and rules etc these aren't really "routines" as such.

1) Don't complain about snoring and snorers -- not infrequently, the worst complainers are among the loudest snorers

2) Do not set an alarm, not even a "quiet" one that you think no-one else will hear -- they will

3) Try and avoid packing/unpacking in the dormitory where many are already or still sleeping

(in general, just try and be selfless and accommodating in the dormitories especially, not selfish and insensitive)

4) Be very nice to all hospitaleros ; even if they're stubbornly denying you something it's not them doing it, it's the rules and the etiquette saying so -- save the ones who are complete a-holes, though frankly you'll be very unlikely to encounter one of those "a-hole hospitaleros", they only pop up once in a blue moon

5) If you're in a very crowded section or period of the Camino and you have the financial means, don't hog a place at the donativo, but get to the private albergue or hotel instead (many hotels on the Camino BTW have dormitory-type accommodation for pilgrims)

(in general, don't try and imagine what you and others will need or want during your Camino, but just be honest and open with yourself and others, and be in the here and now, living day by day, treating each moment and every day with attention and openness, rather than seeking some artificial routine to try and keep it all "structured" -- the structure of the Camino is extremely simple : there's the walking, the eating, and the sleeping ; everything is already organised and rather than routines or worries, just get yourself there, don't try and impose some rigid return flight date nor other such artificial time limits upon yourself, and then just do it. Whatever your Camino shall be, you'll only find out what it is when you're there)

Last edited:
My husband and I are slow walkers and he doesn't like to rush in the morning, so we tend to be the last people to leave the albergue. If we're walking more than 25 km, we try to time things so we're eating lunch when restaurants open (from 1.30 or so) and then keep walking for a couple of hours or more. There's nothing like a 3-course lunch (with wine, costing €6-8) to set you up for an afternoon's walking.

(We don't walk in the summer, when afternoons may be hot and miserable.)

In the late afternoon, what everyone else said. Get bed, put sleeping bag on it, shower, laundry, have a look around the village, shop for breakfast, find the pilgrim bar.

We usually have only a snack in the evening - tapas, or bread and cheese. On the less frequented Caminos, there seems to be fewer albergues with cooking opportunities, but I have made salads a few times.

We want a bigger breakfast than the Spanish do (2 biscuits, coffee and a cigarette seems to be the standard), so we tend to buy fruit, yoghurt, cheese, wholemeal bread if we can find it, the day before.

....is there any other kind of "faux pas" I should be aware of so I don't bother the host or other pilgrims???
Do assume, if there is a chair next to your bunk, that it is not for your use entirely. Use it, by all means, but leave it free to be used temporarily by the next pilgrim. Space is usually at a premium in albergues; store your stuff under the bed (or as out of the way as possible) or hang it from the bunk. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
7. Go to sleep
Just some thoughts
Buen Camino
Arn

This makes me wish I was heading back tomorrow! I miss this routine. One detail I found helpful was keeping stuff I need on my bunk in different color stuffsacks to keep things together.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hey Paolo, I'm also a Camino Frances 1st timer and an MD. I will miss you as I hope to start late March 2017 but I'm flexible so will not pressure myself - it's a spiritual journey for me. I'll look for your posts when you're walking so keep in touch

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pasta will probably be a good choice for me to cook as most of my dishes are confort food and take too long cooking (gumbo, beef bourguignon, vatapa (a brazilian dish), etc)
I hope we run in to each other I also love to cook. It looks like doing so might be a nice change now and then :)

Regarding pubs, cafeterias and the likes...

Beware : a club is not always a club as we know it....When the windows are blackened and / or there is a distinctive neon light then it is more than likely a place for paid sex.
Just telling....;)
What?????! A) I never came across such "club", B) How do you know this? Must make for wuite a funny story: I was wearing my Macabi skirt, Moab shoes and Tilley hat, looking for a place to use the facilities and order an Aquarus.... :eek:

Regarding pubs, cafeterias and the likes...

Beware : a club is not always a club as we know it....When the windows are blackened and / or there is a distinctive neon light then it is more than likely a place for paid sex.
Just telling....;)

Wow. You're coffee stops on the Camino are LEGENDARY!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Camino is not routine, I know they say it is just, "walk, eat, sleep; walk, eat sleep . . . " but, everyday is different distances, different weather, different companions, different, different different. The big difference, if you choose to use it, is not being connected to the 24/7 hustle-bustle; and using the more solitary times for introspection - a time to meet your inner-person (that can be fearful for some). A time for some soul searching regarding the journey of life. The Camino can provide some tips and answers, it only requires that you keep an open mind and heart to the experience. Some of the lessons are subtle, and some are taught by the 'Angels' you will encounter along the way. There is nothing to fear, just stay open to the experience. Buen Camino!

Do assume, if there is a chair next to your bunk, that it is not for your use entirely. Use it, by all means, but leave it free to be used temporarily by the next pilgrim. Space is usually at a premium in albergues; store your stuff under the bed (or as out of the way as possible) or hang it from the bunk. Buen Camino.
And please, if you are on the bottom bunk, don't put your pack at the base of the ladder for the top bunk!

What?????! A) I never came across such "club", B) How do you know this? Must make for wuite a funny story: I was wearing my Macabi skirt, Moab shoes and Tilley hat, looking for a place to use the facilities and order an Aquarus.... :eek:

Don't want to digress too much from OP's question.
But google for it and you will find some answers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In Spain there is often a world of difference between common English usage and Spanish actualities. A Casino may well feature games of chance involving opportunities for financial loss or gain but it will more closely resemble a community social club with a game of 21's played for cents than the Casino Monte Carlo. And it is a place where pilgrims will, often but not always be welcome (ask). A Club will have a specific licence for the activities it offers and is very unlikely to be open for business during the hours that respectable pilgrims are afoot. The most striking example, for the curious, exists on the first day of the Primitivo out of Oviedo where those who choose to take the worthwhile diversion to Naranco, will find that they pass a 'club' much as described by @SabineP, mirror windows, spiky gates, but at 'that' time of the morning tranquil in its suburban location. Students of the human condition might also like to pay attention to the Hostal Moratinos where the proprietor concluded some time ago that the S&M crowd had deeper pockets than peregrinos when it came to paying his bank loan.

All pilgrims are reminded that they are 'strangers in a strange land', and in a 'different country' where 'they do things differently'.

And for the OP: behave as if you are a guest in Spain and a friend of every fellow peregrino in the Albergues and you won't go far wrong.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great routine Arn!!! Thank you very much.
but please don't wash your clothes while you shower, unless there are absolutely no other pilgrims waiting for an empty stall so they can shower.....you would be in there twice as long as needs to be and also it uses up hot water. Hot water can get used up real quick when several pilgrims are all using showers at the same time. I would take what we called "ship showers" in the military. Rinse down, shut off water, soap up real good all over, and turn on water again and rinse off soap. Repeat if need be. Probably uses half as much hot water.
I would say that almost 100% of the albergues have laundry wash sinks.

Re "Clubs": when my husband, our then 3-year-old and I were driving home from Spain in 1999 after living there for three years, we ended up renting a room and sleeping in such a club, near the French border somewhere, after a long day of driving and sightseeing and looking for open hotels (they were all full; the Spanish go on holiday in August). The bed was plenty big enough for three of us, and the working women made much of our cute kid at breakfast. We did not linger at the bar in the evening, but marched very quickly up to our room. Only bad thing: lots and lots of mosquitos.

In Spain there is often a world of difference between common English usage and Spanish actualities. A Casino may well feature games of chance involving opportunities for financial loss or gain but it will more closely resemble a community social club with a game of 21's played for cents than the Casino Monte Carlo. And it is a place where pilgrims will, often but not always be welcome (ask). A Club will have a specific licence for the activities it offers and is very unlikely to be open for business during the hours that respectable pilgrims are afoot. The most striking example, for the curious, exists on the first day of the Primitivo out of Oviedo where those who choose to take the worthwhile diversion to Naranco, will find that they pass a 'club' much as described by @SabineP, mirror windows, spiky gates, but at 'that' time of the morning tranquil in its suburban location. Students of the human condition might also like to pay attention to the Hostal Moratinos where the proprietor concluded some time ago that the S&M crowd had deeper pockets than peregrinos when it came to paying his bank loan.

All pilgrims are reminded that they are 'strangers in a strange land', and in a 'different country' where 'they do things differently'.

And for the OP: behave as if you are a guest in Spain and a friend of every fellow peregrino in the Albergues and you won't go far wrong.

So what I am getting from this thread so far is:
1) Don't was your clothes in the shower because people pee in there (plus you use up too much hot water for other sweaty pilgrims)
2) A cafe may or may not be just a cafe it just depends how exotic your rest tastes are
3) A "club" is for hard core leather pilgrims with safe words
4) Don't put your pack on the bed EVER or the Lord will strike it down with fire (or at least that is the story your bunk mates will tell you)

Yep - pretty much exactly how Chaucer described it ;-)

but please don't wash your clothes while you shower, unless there are absolutely no other pilgrims waiting for an empty stall so they can shower.....you would be in there twice as long as needs to be and also it uses up hot water. Hot water can get used up real quick when several pilgrims are all using showers at the same time. I would take what we called "ship showers" in the military. Rinse down, shut off water, soap up real good all over, and turn on water again and rinse off soap. Repeat if need be. Probably uses half as much hot water.
I would say that almost 100% of the albergues have laundry wash sinks.
Mark, I served on both ships, jungle and in the desert. Trust me...I'm quite adept at getting in and getting out of the shower. That said, I would say that the time I spend in a shower is minimal.
Wet down, soap up, rinse off, get out!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mark, I served on both ships, jungle and in the desert. Trust me...I'm quite adept at getting in and getting out of the shower. That said, I would say that the time I spend in a shower is minimal.
Wet down, soap up, rinse off, get out!

So you're a submarine showerer then ;-) Who drinks tea.

€60,-
Being a tea drinker...I stand out among a group of coffee drinkers...great way to open up a conversation;)

I love both at different times and in different moods. Just don't accidentally mix the two as I did on one occasion when topping up a mug: amazingly awful when combined :)

On étiquette, another small consideration for others, share your table at bars (cafes) and don't take up a chair by placing your pack on it. That chair represents a patron for the owner of the bar, and a welcome seat for another pilgrim. Put your pack on the ground instead.

Wow!!! Great!!! We can share the kitchen and I'll teach you a little about brazilian cuisine...

My pal @koilife has not been on the forum lately, but last summer I was the beneficiary of his fabulous cooking on two occasions. He brought several very tiny items along that he says made things immeasurably better for the cook -- some miniscule plastic bags (used mainly for pills) for spices, and a good knife. If you want to cut anything in an albergue kitchen, beware that the knives (if there are any) can be pretty bad.

Here's just one of his threads, there were many discussions about what to bring. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-superlight-mobile-kitchen.25116/#post-198525.

And here are some ideas for the less culinarily gifted for how to cook for a crowd in an albergue:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/how-to-be-more-like-koilife-in-the-kitchen.25231/

Once you have a few communal albergue dinners, you'll be hooked!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My 15 yo son liked to walk fast and for hours-- so we would stop walking about 6pm, walking 20-32 km. Arriving at our end point, we would get a bunk somewhere-- sometimes I would rest for 2o minutes or so. We'd get laundry and supper going, and then after eating tour the sights in the town. Often times we would go to a pilgrim's mass, usually at 6pm and then eat. Often times we would eat at a restaurant, many times we would cook. (Kitchens get scarce after Sarria.) I would usually shower right before bed as it was pretty chilly when we walked and sometimes hot water was scarce. -- As for grocery shopping and cooking-- we often picked up a ready made pasta meal, where you can just add water and you have tortellini with sauce. Then during the day, when we passed a mercado we'd pick up some things to add on. Some examples might be a leek, some ham, mushrooms etc. Also some lettuce and tomatoes for quick salad, and a loaf of bread (toast in the morning for breakfast). Usually there is olive oil and vinegar left by another pilgrim at the albergue kitchen along with salt, pepper and other spices. If not, we'd go buy some and leave them for the next pilgrim. Along the camino there is a lot of wild thyme growing, and I'd pick some as we walked. -- We sometime made too much for us, and we served other peregrinos as they arrived, or we would cook with others.

two bits of my Camino routine that I love is second breakfast...... But no sooner than 8km..... Mmm mmm and if possible a relaxing cold beer in the sun when you have less than 4km in the day left...... The simple pleasures......

The first thing to understand, is that no matter how you plan your day, there are going to be some days that just don't go the way you planned so it's good to start out with a really flexible mindset. It's one of the beauties of the Camino.

Having said that, I always got a bed first and if you know in advance that beds are limited in the town you'd like to stay in, it's a good idea to make a reservation, if you can.

Most municipal albergues have kitchens and many offer to share their food with their fellow pilgrims, or go to the grocery store together first and then cook and eat together. And wine. Sooooo many bottles of wine shared along the way, so make sure you always have a corkscrew at the ready! Lol.

My routine after walking for the day was this;

-get a bed
-lay out my silk liner and sleeping bag on the bed
-take a shower (with my valuables)
-get dressed and have a bevy (cerveza con lemon was a favourite....so refreshing!)
-explore the town, do laundry, buy groceries for dinner or go out for dinner
-and then lights out at 10pm

You can loosely plan your day but do t be surprised if it doesn't go exactly as planned. Before we left for ours, we thought, 'ok, we'll get up and start walking by 630-700am then get to our destination by 1-2pm'. What we didn't know, was that we'd have to take many breaks to rest and for food (somehow, we had an extra meal?! Lol) and to take our boots and socks off to avoid blisters, and all this would add a couple of hours to our day. We eventually fell into our own routine though, and you will too.

Buen Camino! ENJOY!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
7. Go to sleep
Just some thoughts
Buen Camino
Arn

Arn, thank you for the great info on a routine and tips for the Camino. Logistics of washing clothes, safeguarding valuables, etc, is always useful information from those who have done the Camino...for those of us who are planning ours!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
full

in respect of the OP, I chose to bring a photo from yesterday from the picture section
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/

Just look at this happy and cosy clutter, all the area is optimized for its drying potential.
- this is a whole days labour coming to fruition. Everybody´s settled in...
Note the identical rucksacks on the left, a couple on their first trip, I wonder, judging by the shining newness of the fabric....

You´ve got a bunk, your clothes will be aired and dry for tomorrows itinerary.
Nothing can convey, however, tonights concert in Bflat of the famous Roncadores,
- the famous three chorus night snorers, but hey, you brought your own concert ear buds, you´ve had your wino red or white for the evening meal and you will be snoring like a baby, and That´s a Promise !!

Last edited:

Our routine tended to be to get to where we wanted to go - or where we wanted to stop. Find an albergue - often we had an idea which one from the guidebook and the reviews etc. Check in, get set up, have a shower and get changed. Check out the facilities - is it OK for cooking? If not find a local bar or restaurant offering a pilgrim meal. If there is good cooking facilities find a local market to buy some food (and beer - ah San Miguel - wine lol). Cooking for other pilgrims is perfectly fine and we did it a number of times or offered food to other when we had too much.

Depending on what time we arrive - and we tended to stop walking around 2.30pm or so - have a look around the village/town/city.

Washing we tended to do every 2-3 days. I tended to wear stuff more than a day at a time - yep even undies and socks! Shirts got the sniff test!

DONT put your bag on the bed. This is a great way to pick up bed bugs and carry them with you everywhere you go.

I found that two of the many pleasures in walking the Camino were the simplicity of my needs and having the time to look after myself. Learning how things work is part of this great adventure. Based on all the useful info in earlier posts, I'm sure you'll have no trouble in coming up with a comfortable routine that suits you.
Have a muy buen Camino Paulo.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I came home calling the Spanish beer a restorative/tincture/medicinal need .... I always felt much better after a Spanish beer but rarely do I indulge in a daily beer here at home and never does it seem as restorative to my soul

i am sure you will run into a Camino guru by the end of day 1 who will show you the ropes... they are everywhere!

in any case, it's awesome that you have decided to do the Camino. so here are my 2 cents:

shower asap, you never know when the hot water will go. noise will be an issue, no way around it, first one up in teh morning is going to wake up everyone else in the room, no matter how quiet they try to be. there really is no such thing as a cafeteria in rural spain; bar is a synonym of cafeteria, and it is there you will go to get your coffee hit, lunch, dinner or even drinks in the eveneing. they are all 'family friendly'. have fun and Buen Camino!
I found this very helpful for me . thank you and Buen Camino!

7. Go to sleep
Just some thoughts
Buen Camino
Arn

Instead of taking off a whole day every couple of weeks, you might consider walking a VERY short day once or twice during your Camino. This way, your body doesn't just stop. One day, we walked all of about 6 km into Ponferrada, arriving early enough to do everything, including taking in the Knights' Templar Castle!

As for cooking, for us, a big part of the experience was being with folks in a relaxed environment. Those kitchens can be terribly chaotic. Have you considered going out with your Camino "family" several nights per week and cooking some others?

Here's to a "Buen Camino, Peregrino!"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Instead of taking off a whole day every couple of weeks, you might consider walking a VERY short day once or twice during your Camino. This way, your body doesn't just stop. One day, we walked all of about 6 km into Ponferrada, arriving early enough to do everything, including taking in the Knights' Templar Castle!

Good advice I think. I found on my 'days off' I would wander around like a caged Lion and couldn't wait to get walking again. Though my body definitely needed the break!

Next time I'm going to try a few very short days instead.

I came home calling the Spanish beer a restorative/tincture/medicinal need .... I always felt much better after a Spanish beer but rarely do I indulge in a daily beer here at home and never does it seem as restorative to my soul

Many Spanish beers are maize beers, not barley -- which is a big part of why they seem lighter and more refreshing, although in terms of absolute quality as such, the good English ales, good central European Pils, simpler German beers, the excellent Belgian artisan ones, and even the rare French cervoises are superior. The standout exception is the Estrella Galicia, which is wonderful both bottled and draft, as well as being Spanish in character.

Hello...I did not have a routine and depends how you feel when you reach the Albergue of your choice. After you check in, either straight for shower or rest, wash your clothes or buy your food. Remember they have siesta time where all shops are close. Just enjoy your time and go with the flow. Good luck and Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back