• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's the craziest thing you have done to save weight?

NomadBoomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2017, 2018,Aug 2023) Vdlp (2018)
Getting ready to fly out and start walking tomorrow (yeah :)) This morning I decided that the smallest toothpaste tube I could get at the supermarket was too bulky and heavy so I spent several minutes fiddling around to partially fill a smaller empty tube I found.

I found myself thinking I can't be the only crazy one and wondering what other folks have done.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Getting ready to fly out and start walking tomorrow (yeah :)) This morning I decided that the smallest toothpaste tube I could get at the supermarket was too bulky and heavy so I spent several minutes fiddling around to partially fill a smaller empty tube I found.

I found myself thinking I can't be the only crazy one and wondering what other folks have done.

YES! I did the same with the shampoo and hair balsam. :p And I left home my trainers... Actually I always leave them at home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My doctor says I am the only patient where the critical factor in deciding between two different medications was the weight of the pills and the packaging.

1) Sawed off 1/3 of toothbrush handles
2) Removed all tags from EVERYTHING
3) Pulled solid deodorant out of plastic container and put in a sandwich bag
4) Pulled pages out of guidebooks that I thought weren't necessary
5) Removed the 'middles' of double tipped Q Tips...lol leaving only about an inch on each end
6) Cut emory boards in half
7) Pulled out plastic or cardboard rolls from KT Tape, Leukotape, Doggy Waste bag rolls...
8) Use tiny pill bags for medications instead of bottles ( but photo the labels on my phone )
4) Have used neon spray paint (taped off in stripes ) to mark poles instead of the actual weight of the reflective tape...lol

I get crazier with every camino...but hey, My walk, My way...lol

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What's the craziest thing you have done to save weight?
Trusting Correos with hundreds of dollars of stuff I shipped ahead from Viana.

I got it all back fine and they even gave it special treatment when I talked to them saying that we were going slow and asking "Could they hold it longer?"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We can quit now. We already found the winner.

I know of a woman, who at the very last minute, went out to shop for 'hipster' cut panties to replace 'briefs' because she thought a few inches of fabric on the panty height would save some added weight...LOL

...and another story of a woman from Holland who was so obsessed by the dang 10% rule, and purposefully put on weight to allow her to carry more ! She was absolutely sincere in revealing this.
Sadly, I don't think I'm the winner of the craziest title :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took my kitchen scale into an outdoor store and proceeded to weigh the shoes before trying them on. If they were not under 300 grams I wouldn't even try them on. I eventually found my evening shoes that weighed 200 grams and fit.

When I was in REI in the US I asked them to weigh two pairs of trousers that I liked. They had a postal scale in the back, and I bought the lighter pants.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

5) Removed the 'middles' of double tipped Q Tips...lol leaving only about an inch on each end
7) Pulled out plastic or cardboard rolls from KT Tape, Leukotape, Doggy Waste bag rolls...
8) Use tiny pill bags for medications instead of bottles ( but photo the labels on my phone )
4) Have used neon spray paint (taped off in stripes ) to mark poles instead of the actual weight of the reflective tape...lol

LOL GREAT! I too cut short my toothbrush and comb handles, photograph as much as possible but still carry my paper guidebook, cut labels etc. Mostly I buy as needed which is in my opinion the BEST way to save weight and learn what I really need.

Left the husband at home!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Tried most of the tips on this post

Just try explaining all this to non Camino walkers
Impossible isn't it?!
They just don't "get it"
And can you blame them really!

Went to the gym.

Early on in my backpacking career I used to look forward to every meal knowing my load would be that much lighter. But going to the gym and working on upper body strength really helped a lot and made the whole backpacking experience more enjoyable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On our first Camino we shleped 25kg each over the Pyrenees before a massive slash of stuff in Palermo. We had packed like we did for a normal NZ tramp, our packs empty weighed over 5kg and I wont tell you how much our boots weighed. Learnt our lesson, these days my pack weigh around 10kg fully loaded. Yes we brought lightweight gear, but generally we carry less stuff, but more water. I did shave my head once (not a problem for Scott) but this was more of an issue of maintenance on an isolated route. I don't worry so much about weight now, it's more an issue over having the right gear to cope with the conditions.

I didn't take soap.
I didn't take shampoo.
I didn't take a toothbrush.
I didn't take toothpaste.
I didn't take a change of socks.
I didn't take a change of underwear.
I didn't take a change of trousers.
I didn't take a change of tops.
I didn't take a comb.

I didn't make many friends and ate alone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a lot;)

Buen (not taking too-much) Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Some excellent tips...definately like the pill bags idea

If you just follow the many packing list guidelines posted on this forum by people who have COMPLETED the Camino, you'll see what you need to pack. Just leave the "what if" stuff at home and you'll be fine. You should end up around with about 16 lbs / 7 kg on average. Some of the extreme backpacker types shave that down some, but if your pack weighs much more than that you've got too much stuff.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I didn't take soap.
I didn't take shampoo.
I didn't take a toothbrush.
I didn't take toothpaste.
I didn't take a change of socks.
I didn't take a change of underwear.
I didn't take a change of trousers.
I didn't take a change of tops.
I didn't take a comb.

I didn't make many friends and ate alone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a lot;)

Buen (not taking too-much) Camino
:D I think I found myself near to you in O Cebreiro.

Last edited:

€83,-

:D:D:D
You sound like my partner on a Mountain Marathon about 30 years ago!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Many of the same but a caveat to 1) I also drilled small holes in the handle.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

You've given me a few new ideas, but some of them are just plain too crazy! Lol!

Some truly amazing ideas here!

€46,-
I downsized from my 2.258 oz Victorinox Swiss Army Compact Pocket Knife to a 0.74 oz
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife. I am giving up the corkscrew (there were plenty around on my last trip), and the scissors and the blade are a lot smaller (almost too small), but I am saving about an ounce and a half!
¡Buen Camino!
Yep!!! It was taken away from me by the "friendly" TSA agent - fortunately, on my way home. But, I have a new one. NECESSARY, and cute!

I learned this trick here, but don't see it mentioned above. Take a sheet of wax paper, put 80 dabs of toothpaste on it and let them dry. When dry, roll the half-pea sized dabs between your fingers and drop them into a tiny zip-top plastic bag (like that from a piece of jewelry) with a bit of baking soda. Every morning and eve you can brush your teeth by chewing up a little ball of toothpaste, then brush with the wet brush.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm pretty much a minimalist so find many ways to be reasonable but firm out what goes with me. I never carry a shell! I don't put labels/decals/badges on my pack. Also believe the losing a few pounds before departure is a good strategy!!!

Last edited:
Not so strange I suppose, but it just reminds me.

In 2015 I became known as 'the handbag'. For reasons left to St James I ended up walking to Santiago with a group of very young pretty girls (German two French and Danish) all under 22 years old. I was 51. We shared packed lunches on the trail. One would say "oh i fancy peanut butter" they would buy a large (glass) jar of the stuff and after lunch put it in MY pack. Then a glass jar of honey. Bottles of wine. Tomato Sauce. Lots of chocolate and a jar of chocolate spread. And on it went. I was carrying 16 kilo's before I met them at Roncesvalles, and by Sahagun I was being crippled by added weight.

They got a bit distraught when at a rest stop I announced THEY could carry it. The pleading from them that ensued brought much laughter from fellow pilgrims!

Never saw honey, chocolate spread or peanut butter again on the Camino funny enough!

Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
LOL GREAT! I too cut short my toothbrush and comb handles, photograph as much as possible but still carry my paper guidebook, cut labels etc. Mostly I buy as needed which is in my opinion the BEST way to save weight and learn what I really need.

"buy as I need' hasn't worked out that well for many I've walked with...Some of the smaller villages will not have stores with supplies other than a few food items, so planning days ahead before running out of some necessity is advised so you can have a better chance looking in a larger city. Also note, that the times of operation of these little stores in Spain are not really conducive to the passerby, opening late, closing for siesta, opening late again, closing early, closing on weekends, closing on holidays, closing for family events...lol My companion's needs always presented when the supplies were not available...so wait it out, or walk without. Secondly, in the larger markets, we had difficulty finding any small or sample sized anything...shampoos were family sized jugs, soaps often sold in packs of 3 bars...so there was a lot of overspending and waste as they refilled tiny bottles, but left much behind in the trash, not finding another pilgrim who wanted to take the free share. I personally cannot leave shopping for hygiene supplies up to fate as I have many many allergies and skin sensitivities and know I won't find my suitable brands from home while abroad. The one time I needed to buy a face cream to sooth burned skin, I had to resort to a farmacia and paid a crazy amount of money for a tiny tube. It would be grand to simply buy as you need...but it comes with a few twists for some :)

I learned this trick here, but don't see it mentioned above. Take a sheet of wax paper, put 80 dabs of toothpaste on it and let them dry. When dry, roll the half-pea sized dabs between your fingers and drop them into a tiny zip-top plastic bag (like that from a piece of jewelry) with a bit of baking soda. Every morning and eve you can brush your teeth by chewing up a little ball of toothpaste, then brush with the wet brush.

As a dentist, I really appreciate your effort in keeping your oral health! I wonder the looks you got from airport security, though!

Not including my backpack or water, my entire load for my May, 2017 Camino weighed approximately 5 pounds, 2.25 kilos. Some tips:
- I agree with bringing your scale to the store. I did that to weigh shirts, socks and shorts. Again, the lightweight camping gear is great. Super light and dries in a flash.
- The absolute lightest sneakers or trail runners you can find will suffice for your second pair of shoes. I found a pair of Asics that weighed about 90 grams total. I used them in the shower as well. Remember, you are only using them to rest your feet at the end of the day or emergency backup shoes.
- Never bring anything "just in case". One pair of clothes and a spare is more than enough.
- Silk is your best friend. A super lightweight silk long sleeve shirt and silk balaclava can help you pass cool temperatures easily
- Call the albergues ahead of time to determine which offer blankets. By not taking a sleeping bag and only a silk sleep sack, you can save quite a bit. BTW, I found you won't need it anyway from late May through mid September.
- Several months before I left, I measured out precisely how much soap, detergent, toothpaste and other essentials I would need. I took nothing more.

You would be shocked to see how well you can manage with so little. Remember, you are not in the wilds. There are stores should some need arise. Also, your fellow pilgrims and the albergues are incredibly helpful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Lost weight!. Actually not that crazy though but definitely works.

I started with 18lbs. Once I began walking: I quickly used up all my bandaids. That lightened the load. ☹️ And I had little food/water going across the Pyrenees. I posted anything I could to Santiago when I got to Puente la Reina. I was a hot mess for five days but five pounds lighter than the day I started!
I met a young man in Roscesvalles who had three full sized tubes of toothpaste! He pitched them all that night!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

OMG!! I think you and I must be twins separated by the universe!!! I have a spread sheet and weigh everything in grams!! I've been known to sit with all my undies and weigh them to find the ones that are the lightest!! Socks...even if the same style etc...one might be a few grams lighter!

Last year I started to try (and use and love!) dried toothpaste!! It works! For the hubs and I I believe it came to 9gs for the three weeks of toothpaste!! Plus way way cheaper than the stuff at LUSH or any other pre done stuff out there. Also allowed me to use my specialty toothpaste (Sensodyne) as i have serious sensitivity issues.

Ahh the madness of it! :)

Done it!! I'm actually lazy enough that 80 dabs was more work than I wanted to do....so try using foil, put a long line of toothpaste down...or several and then put it in the oven overnight (I have a gas oven and the pilot light keeps it a bit warmer!). In the morning if they are "done" to your liking, use a sharp knife and chop it into little pieces. Finito!! Whole process sans drying time was about 10 minutes if that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I'm not saying you are crazy... but, that's some focused attention to cutting weight!

Done it!! I'm actually lazy enough that 80 dabs was more work than I wanted to do....so try using foil, put a long line of toothpaste down...or several and then put it in the oven overnight (I have a gas oven and the pilot light keeps it a bit warmer!). In the morning if they are "done" to your liking, use a sharp knife and chop it into little pieces. Finito!! Whole process sans drying time was about 10 minutes if that.
But what were the before and after weights?

I once cut a toothbrush in half to save weight i thought iwas v clever until i saw another chap at a sink in a albergue he' d done the same but then drilled holes in it to make it even lighter !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is a totally great tip! Thanks!

But what were the before and after weights?
I forgot to weigh before drying, but I just checked a small tube of toothpaste. Tube and all it came in at 22g. My dried stuff including the bags I believe came in at 9g. I can't quite remember now if that was both of ours. Had some computer work done and lost that file...oh the horror!! ;-)

I once cut a toothbrush in half to save weight i thought iwas v clever until i saw another chap at a sink in a albergue he' d done the same but then drilled holes in it to make it even lighter !
Next trip do the same but then do him better; cut the bristles in half.

€46,-
OMG!! I think you and I must be twins separated by the universe!!! I have a spread sheet and weigh everything in grams!! I've been known to sit with all my undies and weigh them to find the ones that are the lightest!! Socks...even if the same style etc...one might be a few grams lighter!

Last year I started to try (and use and love!) dried toothpaste!! It works! For the hubs and I I believe it came to 9gs for the three weeks of toothpaste!! Plus way way cheaper than the stuff at LUSH or any other pre done stuff out there. Also allowed me to use my specialty toothpaste (Sensodyne) as i have serious sensitivity issues.

W

WE ARE TWINS! I use Sensodyne too! LOL I have to add that I actually ENJOY finding ways to shave weight off and research things that work. I have the time, I'm well organized and I find it a fun part of planning my walks...something to do. Having said that, I've recently found myself with a big knee issue at 21 days out from my next walk. Have had to make all kinds of peace with doing some modified version and am now busy with medical appointments and physical therapy along with 'modifying' my clothing to fit a knee brace...will be a very interesting 14 days...but my Sensodyne is packed! lol

The South Koreans and Japanese
pilgrims, together with the cyclists and campers who travelled in small groups
were very organised and would actually share the burden of the cooking pots and foodstuffs. I saw one pilgrim who shipped a huge 4 wheeled suitcase of foodstuffs and pans from one municipal to the next but he got caught out when the municipal in Logrono refused to accept delivery of the suitcase and he had to limp to the depot to retrieve it and then had to limp back to the depot when he had finished using it for the next day’s journey. Of course when we got to Galicia he was in his element as he was the only one equipped to use the kitchens as all the Albergues as a matter of petty Provincal policy, had removed all the cooking pans to discourage any self catering !!

Losing 10kg of ME....not walking till May but I have spent the last year doing a lot more exercise (not walking yet, just yoga and a bit of gym) and cutting out sugar. I am hoping that will make the biggest difference even if I bring a full length toothbrush! Oh and I don't have long hair now either...pixie cut!

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pill bags are crazy???? You mean the hours I sat and filled my pill bags was crazy??? :eek:

I most certainly did not spend hours filling pill bags...lol Just dumped an entire bottle of Tylenol, or Motrin, etc into bags. Not filling daily bags of pills...lol Those tiny pill bags are great for all kinds of things...sawed off Qtips, safety pins, thread and needles, spices....

I took the insert out of my favorite (and pretty weighty) Mont Blanc pen (that normally goes everywhere with me) and just brought that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Left the husband at home!!

Ahh... But taking one's spouse means that you can share many items and both carry a lighter load. Although I think the wife put those "many items" in my pack. Hers seemed suspiciously light!

Ahh... But taking one's spouse means that you can share many items and both carry a lighter load. Although I think the wife put those "many items" in my pack. Hers seemed suspiciously light![/QUOTE

Our spouses must be related. The hubs kept asking for "the" toothpaste, "the" shampoo etc. He'd not brought any...just his pills!! And so this is why I usually walk alone :eek:

Last edited:
Walk. Run. Work out with weights. Eat more nutritionally. Push away from the dinner table. All before you walk the Camino.
In regards to personal gear in your backpack, I found that leaving stuff on a donativo table in an alberque cuts down on weight considerably.

I had printed bus and train tickets for the return journey to Mardrid on A4 paper but cut off the superfluous parts of the sheets that only contained ads. That must have saved 0.01g!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I head to Spain in 9 days and one thing I did, not particularly crazy, but I cut the width of my Costco down throw down by 1/4 which eliminated about 4 oz. And I’m leaving my comb at home. My fingers work almost as well.

I've now joined the throngs of people who have cut out every single label out of the clothes/bag liner/etc that I've packed. I've packed and re-packed (up to 3 times a week) and cut some weight each every time I've done so - therefore it has been a rewarding endeavor. I've weighed every single item in my pack and I've decided on the 3.8 oz sports bra instead of the 4.whatever oz sports bra. It's become an obsession and truly hope that it will soon pass - I'm exhausted by it. :)

@AZ Hiker - I took my Costco down quilt to the dressmaker and had her cut it in half! The width was almost the length of my feet to shoulders, so I only took 1/2 a quilt with me, to tuck inside my silk liner. (And I did not consider this to be one of the craziest things I have done to save weight!)

@AZ Hiker - I took my Costco down quilt to the dressmaker and had her cut it in half! The width was almost the length of my feet to shoulders, so I only took 1/2 a quilt with me, to tuck inside my silk liner. (And I did not consider this to be one of the craziest things I have done to save weight!)
I have cut down Costco quilts for several people so far.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The South Koreans and Japanese pilgrims ... travelled in small groups were very organised and would actually share the burden of the cooking pots and foodstuffs.

I have actually stalked Koreans to eat their leftovers. And I carry the tiniest bottle and hunt in showers for abandoned shampoo bottles for a refill. I carry no snacks only almonds, when I stop for a break with Spanish pilgrims I feel bad as I have almost nothing to share. But I still eat their chorizo. Am I am bad person?

I travelled briefly with an Aussi very much like you who was the life and soul of the party and very companiable with as many views on the world as there were folks about who could feed and buy him drinks !!

Starting weighing your things on a pair of scales...
Don´t do that ........!
Doesn´t work..

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.