Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's the earliest safest time to start?

nilesite

Tumbleweed Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2020, 2021)
I've wanted to walk the Primitivo for a while now, but since I typically walk in December and most people say it's just not safe in December on this route, what would be the earliest date in spring, do you think, that I could start walking? Any and all help much appreciated! Ultreya!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Jeez, that's like asking when will the poppies be in fullest bloom!
This looks like a mild winter, but it's already snowed up in Asturias, and winter's not really started yet. It's nice there now, but it may be awful next Tuesday.
It may be awful right through April, or even May! Or it may not.
"Safe" is another big wiggly word. Your idea of "safe" might be my idea of "No way."
But if I had to guess, I'd say mid-April.

I've wanted to walk the Primitivo for a while now, but since I typically walk in December and most people say it's just not safe in December on this route, what would be the earliest date in spring, do you think, that I could start walking? Any and all help much appreciated! Ultreya!

Nilesite:

To better answer your question you would have to define your vision of safe.

Are you concerned about your personal safety, weather etc?

I walked in early April and there was some rain and mud but that can vary year to year.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This looks like a mild winter, but it's already snowed up in Asturias, and winter's not really started yet. It's nice there now, but it may be awful next Tuesday.
"Safe" is another big wiggly word. Your idea of "safe" might be my idea of "No way."
So here is the question.... What is "nice now" and how would you describe an average winter? I always wonder what people mean when they say "you may encounter snow". What does an average winter day look like? I understand we do get snow storms of 12 inches plus here, but it's not the norm. It might be more practical and informative to say that in Montreal winter days tend to be around 5-10 below, often humid and windy making kt feel much colder, with a total accumulation of x over the winter.

So here is the question.... What is "nice now" and how would you describe an average winter? I always wonder what people mean when they say "you may encounter snow". What does an average winter day look like? I understand we do get snow storms of 12 inches plus here, but it's not the norm. It might be more practical and informative to say that in Montreal winter days tend to be around 5-10 below, often humid and windy making kt feel much colder, with a total accumulation of x over the winter.
Hi Anemone
I started on the Salvador 25april this year .
Joe had earlier April experience. I believe the snow mentioned referred to remaining banks of snow that had to be got round. This can mean climbing up the mountain off the track to get past the snow blocks. Living in Oz it was not the norm for me. I did not encounter snow on ground after starting the Primitivo 1may. Only rain

Reading all the comments about the glorious day temps in Santiago lately , I think Nov and December sound like good times to walk
I'd love to be there now.
Annie
Image is snow on track to Oviedo from Leon about 26th April 15

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Anemone
Joe had earlier April experience. I believe the snow mentioned referred to remaining banks of snow that had to be got round. This can mean climbing up the mountain off the track to get past the snow blocks. Living in Oz it was not the norm for me. I did not encounter snow on ground after starting the Primitivo 1may. Only rain

Reading all the comments about the glorious day temps in Santiago lately , I think Nov and December sound like good times to walk
Annie
I keep having thoughts of getting on the first flight out myself.

Hi Anemone

Annie
I love walking in December but I haven't done as much climbing and I've read that the Primitivo is more challenging. Rain schmain! It's never a deal breaker. Thank you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I love walking in December but I haven't done as much climbing and I've read that the Primitivo is more challenging. Rain schmain! It's never a deal breaker. Thank you.
There may be more up and down on the Primitivo but nothing that would approach climbing. Lots of road walking. My concern regarding the Primitivo in winter would be more about colder weather due to overall elevation and not having many places to warm up during the day as ypu go from albergue to albergue, certainly not as many as on the CF.

Nilesite.... remember.. this will be YOUR Camino. Go with your heart, not your head. Leave your fears behind but do not throw caution to the winds. May the angels guide your feet. Buen Camino :)

Nilesite.... remember.. this will be YOUR Camino. Go with your heart, not your head. Leave your fears behind but do not throw caution to the winds. May the angels guide your feet. Buen Camino :)
Just be sure your heart pays attention to what your mind has to say or you may join all the carcases on the Hospitlaes route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you walk from Oviedo to La Espina and the weather is good then you can continue on the Primitivo. If the weather is bad and the snow level is given as below 2000mts then take local advice. La Espina is the last chance to turn north and continue to Santiago on the Norte. Also if you have the CSJ guide to the Primitivo it gives the alternative (road) instructions for both cyclists and bad weather. Especially good over Puerto de Palo (by the Pola de Allande route), where there sre snow poles to mark the road. By April/May hopefully the weather will be OK, and snow then should only last a couple of days or so, so you could build some 'delay' time into your number of days walking. If you don't need it before Lugo then you could spend extra time there, or later in Santiago itself.

Whew! Interesting comments indeed.
I'm starting the Primitivo on May 1st. Experience suggests that it should be snow-free, but the way the weather's performing [15 deg C here yesterday!! In England in Christmas week!!] anything might happen.
I shall certainly take the locals' advice at the time. But I do this for pleasure - if the high passes are difficult I'll take a bus to the next town.
Before I leave I shall check the Spansh for ..... "minus WHAT?", "snow", "icicles in my sleeping bag", "my toes just fell off", "can I have a hot beer please?" and "when is the next train to India?"
Christmas blessings to both my readers .....

"minus WHAT?", "snow", "icicles in my sleeping bag", "my toes just fell off", "can I have a hot beer please?" and "when is the next train to India?"

"¿Menos QUÉ?", "nieve", "carámbanos en mi saco de dormir", "mis dedos simplemente se cayeron", "Me da una cerveza caliente, por favor." and "?Cuándo sale el próximo tren a la India?"

Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nilesite:

To better answer your question you would have to define your vision of safe.

Are you concerned about your personal safety, weather etc?

I walked in early April and there was some rain and mud but that can vary year to year.

Ultreya,
Joe
Not personal safety really other than the weather vs. the terrain. When is it too cold, too snowy - I guess that would be one way to put it.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back