• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What’s the likelihood of flights from USA to Paris being cancelled in August due to French strikes?

Natique2

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
What’s the likelihood of flights from USA to Paris being cancelled in August due to French strikes? Do French strikes occur at typical times of the year, or, on certain days? Are they for weeks at a time or just one day? If my flight is cancelled should I fly into Madrid Spain and make my way to SJDP via train or bus? How do I do that?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What’s the likelihood of flights from USA to Paris being cancelled in August due to French strikes? Do French strikes occur at typical times of the year, or, on certain days? Are they for weeks at a time or just one day? If my flight is cancelled should I fly into Madrid Spain and make my way to SJDP via train or bus? How do I do that?
I really know nothing but here is where strike actions are listed:

Veuling airline is striking Apr 28-May 1 but i dont see other specific strikes

Strike at Vueling in France at the end of April and beginning of May 2023​

The SNPNC-FO union has filed a strike notice concerning the hostesses and stewards of the airline Vueling who are based in France.
The movement will take place during several weekends and bridges:
  • April 21, 22 and 23.
  • April 28, 29, 30 and May 1.
  • 6, 7, 8 May 2023.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very unlikely -- when flights are cancelled for non-particular strikes, it's typically internal French ones. Sure, if the air traffic controllers go on strike, anything's possible -- but they do try and keep the international flights landing and taking off, as much as possible anyway. Some less frequented international routes might suffer more in that circumstance.

But the chances would also depend on which city in the US you're flying to France from -- if it's somewhere like New York or Boston with several flights a day, there's a chance that one or some of those flights could be cancelled. OTOH if you're flying from Miami or LA, chances of a cancellation are much lower -- including because long-distance flights are much less likely to be cancelled.

Another thing to consider -- in recent strikes, some flights were cancelled at Paris Orly ; but none at Paris Charles de Gaulle.

So overall, I'd say very unlikely, but possible for the shorter flights from New England on the most frequented routes.

Basically zero. Strikes will affect the length of immigration lines, getting baggage, train trips, and on and on, but your plane is likely to still fly and land there especially since it’s not likely a French airline.

Of course, all those issues AFTER you land would be terrible so choosing to fly through Spain may be easier. Not sure why “Paris” is such the default for most travelers when Spain offers many comparable options.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
q
Very unlikely -- when flights are cancelled for non-particular strikes, it's typically internal French ones. Sure, if the air traffic controllers go on strike, anything's possible -- but they do try and keep the international flights landing and taking off, as much as possible anyway. Some less frequented international routes might suffer more in that circumstance.

But the chances would also depend on which city in the US you're flying to France from -- if it's somewhere like New York or Boston with several flights a day, there's a chance that one or some of those flights could be cancelled. OTOH if you're flying from Miami or LA, chances of a cancellation are much lower -- including because long-distance flights are much less likely to be cancelled.

Another thing to consider -- in recent strikes, some flights were cancelled at Paris Orly ; but none at Paris Charles de Gaulle.

So overall, I'd say very unlikely, but possible for the shorter flights from New England on the most frequented routes
Some great points here! As stated airlines will look to ‘protect’ Longhauls flights at the expense of shorthaul for a myriad of reasons. I wouldn’t worry at this stage.

A lot of the strikes earlier in the year were train strikes so getting to France was not the problem, it was getting around once you arrived as I understand it.
Yea and the SNCF website was quite tricky to get a proper understanding of what trains were running and what were not! Shout for help nearer the tune if you need it!

No amount of speculation at this time will give you any basis on which to make a decision but, if for any reason it is not possible to fly into France you could certainly make your way to St Jean via Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m possibly a little cynical about this (I think this comes from having spent some time living in France in my youth) but for me, unless you’re planning on walking a camino that starts somewhere near Paris, there are probably more efficient ways to arrive. For example, consider flying to Barcelona if you intend to start the Camino Francés in Sant Jean Pied-de-Port. Train from there to Pamplona, then bus or taxi to SJPDP. Who knows the likelihood of some part of the French travel system being on strike at any given time? What I am pretty sure about is that it’s a lot more likely than the equivalent strike happening in Spain. Some people I met on the camino in March this year had the start of their camino disrupted quite a bit by a strike in the French rail system…..

Not a high likelihood unless you have tickets that day. International flights (at least from U.S.) less likely to be affected than domestic flights. In my modest (but disastrous) experience, strikes tend to be for one or a few days, announced in advance, so the primary victims are clueless tourists who can't give labor unions what they want anyway. On my last trip, 2022, I flew from U.S. to Madrid to Pamplona (and onward by bus). Of course, that way you have to traverse the Madrid Airport, which has a confusing layout for international to domestic connections if you're not familiar with it, and no traveler information.

This kind of thing happens every other year with AF and French airports. On many previous arrivals to Europe via Paris or Zurich, it has always worked out. I once had to wait in Geneva for 2 extra days about 7 years ago, but these strikes just last for 2/3 days and then can resume as normal. There is a chance of disruption, but don't let it put you off as the majority of days are strike free. I'm booked to arrive in Paris in July but via another airline I've not flown with before due to the Russian problem. If there's a strike so be it. Just wait a while and you'll get there, albeit a couple of days later than planned at most. A minor bit of adjustment in terms of Camino plans is the worst case scenario.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'll quote Harry Callaghan.
"Do you feel lucky?"
"Well. Do you?"

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hello from France, Air traffic controllers strike (work to rule) here every year at holiday times it’s almost a fact of life. It usually results in delays but rarely cancellations. Priority is given to internal flights, then flights originating or terminating on French soil, flights just traversing french air space are the bottom of the list. Possibly better to avoid French airlines as crew or pilots occasionally strike. You should be concerned more so with train travel, anything up to 50% of trains can be cancelled on a given day, but you do usually get a weeks notice. (Also I read yesterday it’s now 40 days before you can expect to get a refund)
I wouldn’t overly worry, but give yourself wriggle room for transfers. And as said before Barcelona has a great airport.

From my experience the likely hood of a French Labor strike in Paris during August is 75%. But the average rail strike is one week so your likelyhood ( three days) is 20%. The percent of union members in France is less than the USA , but they are all in the French transport sector near Paris. So there you have it . However your airline ( US Air , United , Delta ) may not participate, but trains & buses always do. August is the traditional holiday period in France and the union members love to be out then. The disturbances now with Macron could go on for more months and could screw up the big tourist cycle this summer. You could fly to Dublin then Bayonne or Madrid and train/bus to SJPP. You won’t know until a week ahead. I avoid Paris during July/August , just saying’

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh my goodness - beware of anyone who answers this question with certainty ….

The greater risk would be a strike affecting your trip from Paris to SJPP

August may be a good time to go, actually. Strikers may want to target the last 3 weeks of September and the first 3 of October when the Rugby World Cup will be played in something like 9 French cities😬

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Basically zero. Strikes will affect the length of immigration lines, getting baggage, train trips, and on and on, but your plane is likely to still fly and land there especially since it’s not likely a French airline.

Of course, all those issues AFTER you land would be terrible so choosing to fly through Spain may be easier. Not sure why “Paris” is such the default for most travelers when Spain offers many comparable options.
Paris would be my default city simply cuz it’s Paris. Then, eventually, I’d make my way south. But that’s just me. Cada quien, ¿no?😀

Personally, I would say it is about a likely as an air traffic controller strike, a tornado or a hurricane happening in the US in August. Good luck with your Magic Crystal Ball prediction.

I don't know about the chances of French strikes. But it seems there are strikes in France every year.
But to get to SJPDP from Madrid is very easy. There is a train from Madrid to Pamplona that leaves at 7:35am and arrives at 10:37am. Then you walk about 2 km from the Pamplona train station to the bus station. There is one bus (and the only bus) that runs from Pamplona to SJPDP, and it leaves at 12:00pm. You should be able to make it. If you miss the bus you'll need to wait till the next day or hire a taxi, which would cost about 120 euros. You can find the schedule on Omio.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Paris would be my default city simply cuz it’s Paris. Then, eventually, I’d make my way south. But that’s just me. Cada quien, ¿no?😀
Oh, I love Paris, but many pilgrims simply land there and immediately fly/train/bus to the SJPdP without ever actually enjoying that fine city. Then they often have to return to Paris from Santiago for their return.

Far simpler to fly into and out of Spain if one plans no time in Paris itself.

I have been to Paris many times and it’s just an fantastic city. The reason we are flying into Paris and going directly to SJPDP because it is a non-stop flight from Detroit to Paris. We have been burned many times by connecting through Amsterdam to other European cities. Jumping on the train at Mont Parnasses to SJPDP seems very simple - one change in Bayonne and we will be there. From what I can see, the train out of Paris is actually faster than taking a train out of Madrid to Pamplona followed by a bus to SJPDP. As an added precaution if there is a train strike in France, we have reserved a car out of CDG airport.

I hope this is a good plan. I would appreciate any comments .

I have been to Paris many times and it’s just an fantastic city. The reason we are flying into Paris and going directly to SJPDP because it is a non-stop flight from Detroit to Paris. We have been burned many times by connecting through Amsterdam to other European cities. Jumping on the train at Mont Parnasses to SJPDP seems very simple - one change in Bayonne and we will be there. From what I can see, the train out of Paris is actually faster than taking a train out of Madrid to Pamplona followed by a bus to SJPDP. As an added precaution if there is a train strike in France, we have reserved a car out of CDG airport.

I hope this is a good plan. I would appreciate any comments .
I agree with you 100%. I’ve flown Paris direct from Mexico City as well as LA, Dallas and the DC area, and I think your plan is spot on. If you have the time and “las ganas” to do the Paris route, why not? I would. I will. Then another time I may throw myself a curveball and try flying into Madrid or Barcelona or who knows? Everyone’s gotta follow their own plan. Have a muy buen Camino🤙🏽

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I prefer Madrid after having flown into both Paris and Madrid. I think the difficulty I saw with strikes in France were more about trains and buses not running and not with the plane traffic.

Thus reducing the perceived availability of rental cars at CDG (don’t take it personally; it just reinforces a point elsewhere)
There seemed to be plenty of rental cars when we went onto to the Travelocity site. I may be missing something - let me know if there is risk in my backup plan. For instance, is there a chance that the car I have reserved May not be available if I need it?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back