• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's the one thing in your pack, that you absolutely CANNOT do without...and why?

There have been a number of essential and sentimental items listed already, several of which I also find I want/need. One of my first stops upon arrival (in Spain or France) is to a pharmacy where I can pick up a tube of Voltaren/flogoprofen gel, which I apply most mornings to my dodgy knees.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 10% rule isn't a rule at all. When in the Marines, slim, muscled and trim, I weighted in at 175 lbs/79kg. My field pack, without ammo and rifle was about 70 lbs/31kg. Yet, by the “rule” I should carry a 17 lb/7.9kg pack. The ideal weight is always going to be determined by the requirements of the trip, not by some magical ratio to your body weight, no matter how you measure it. Going into combat where you carry everything you “may need” is different from the Camino where the “may needs” are removed. All else being equal, the least weight you can get away with is best.
If you start your Camino weighing 200lbs/97kg and you lose 10lbs/4.5kg of body fat your muscles are strengthened and although you started with a pack weighing under 20lbs/9kg the only thing you should add to your pack is a six-pack of cerveza. As you walk you remain refreshed and urinate away the extra weight.

Err ... I was joking .... 🤔😉😄

and ... I don’t drink (alcohol) ... so, water it is then ...

and ... when I take my pack off at a rest-stop, I miss its weight ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just made a vlog about this very question today! Here I give you my very *lite* and essential items :)

A grateful heart and frame of mind. I really feel fortunate that I am willing and able to walk vast distances. Not so easy some days when I'm dead beat, worn out and grumpy ! So appreciative for the volunteers and locals who have invited me into their homes. Last but not least, Magnesium bisglycinate powder (with amino acids and electrolytes) taken just before sleep.

Attachments

• 1614037436276.png
    1614037436276.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 39
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Odd that no-one has mentioned books. Reading to me is as necessary as food, water, even breathing. As a very fast reader, I can start a new book around 10pm, and finish it before going to sleep and sometimes read two books in a day. Reading is my 'winding down', so walking the Camino without books was unthinkable. Although I don't like reading online, I ended up loading a heap of books onto my phone, and this solved the problem. Once home, it was back to the real thing.
I carry my iPad. It has over 400 books in the library. As the mood strikes, I can transport anywhere. Though, never closer than 100km to SDC. Earning the Compostela is the icing on my bizcocho.

James Geier said "Just before the town of Circueña, we came upon two young men with a donativo refreshment table, and I spotted a pressed glass Camino shell souvenir."
On the CF in 2016 I also came across a young man with a donavito refreshment table. It was next to a picnic area with a few tables and seats. I bought some fruit, and in the course of the conversation with him, he realised by my accent that I was from the bottom of the planet. He said he collected coins and asked me if I had any with me. I remembered throwing a coin into the bottom of my pack as I left Auckland Airport a few weeks before. I found the New Zealand 20 cent coin and gave it to him. He insisted that I take one of the little yellow glass shells that he had on the table. That shell has sat on my bedside table ever since and as I look at it every night it reminds me of my Camino memories. I took it back on the Camino with me in 2019 and intended to buy another shell from him for my daughter who was walking with me. Unfortunately when we got there the man and his table were not there. I am sure that it was the same place that James got his.

We speak about keeping our pack light, eliminating the "nice to haves" and then, the night before departure, unpacking and again removing the "might needs." All that said, I am sure there is one item: a keepsake, picture or going away gift you must accept and in your pack it goes. On my first Camino, I carried a number of prayer cards for my recently deceased cousin killed in a terrible accident. I placed them in Churches, at many of the shrines along the Way and behind a confessional in the Cathedral of Santiago. What did you just have to carry?
I saw one pilgrim carrying one of those ceramic Nordic Elves determined to leave it at the Cruz de Ferro. Alas, he grew so attached to the Elf he took it back home.
Now, open your pack and your mind and reveal that special item carried deep inside your pack and possible your soul.
A poetry book: 'By Heart', compiled by Ted Hughes. I even replaced the copy I left in A Laxe albergue. You can read a poem over and over, which you can't with a novel and this anthology is super light. One day I (or someone else with more energy and education) will assemble a compilation of pilgrimage-related poems and I often pass time thinking which poems I would put in it. Actually, that might be a good idea for a thread - poems for pilgrimages.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I tend not to take those physical, sentimental keepsakes with me on the Camino. I learned a long time ago it is best not to travel with anything that you are not prepared to lose. The things I "absolutely cannot do without" tend to be things like passport, credit/bank cards, phone - which I generally don't leave in my pack.

A Thermos flask, so that I can have a cup of tea in the morning and at lunchtime. And teabags, obviously. Why, yes, I am British - how did you guess?
Tea is my GoTo beverage in the morning and sometime in the afternoon. My boer Meisie was big on Wit Tea (RooiBos) but I'd rather have it black. And, just for the record, I am 40+ % Scot, 16% Irish and the remainder Welsh/English.
The single malt is obviously from the Scot side.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A pillow case from home. Keeps me grounded, keeps me 'home'.
A few years ago, on the Madrid, we met two senior French ladies - Therese and Brigitte. One of them left a pillowcase in an albergue and as we were a day or two behind them, they texted us to pick it up for them. A few days after that, one of them got sick and they had to go back. So we carried the pillow case all the way to Santiago and then posted it back. I think they were touched and pleased that we kept our promise, but I suspect they were even more pleased that if they couldn't get to Santiago that year, their pillowcase damn well could. They also taught us how to drink white wine properly. Vive la France!

Only two luxury items I consider "essential": a native american flute (you cannot believe how great it sounds in those old churches), and a camera with a huge image sensor. The flute is often how I pray, and the camera is my art because I can't draw or paint. iphone cameras just cannot capture the detail I want. Picture below is sunset at El Ganso.DSC02808.sunset in El Ganso.JPG

Last edited:
My previous partner (deceased) was a Catholic priest- yes, really. I carried his rosary beads with me.
Years ago I found the perfect set of rosary beads for carrying in the pocket -- small, modest, built to last, probably wouldn't even see them in my hand when in use. I carry them everywhere, Camino and otherwise, in the left front pocket along with the Chapstick. If the Camino taught me one thing, it is that prayer is efficacious.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Years ago I found the perfect set of rosary beads for carrying in the pocket -- small, modest, built to last, probably wouldn't even see them in my hand when in use. I carry them everywhere, Camino and otherwise, in the left front pocket along with the Chapstick. If the Camino taught me one thing, it is that prayer is efficacious.
Same. I also always carry a light set of rosary beads 😎
But in dire times (not on the Spanish caminos), I found myself praying like mad and didn’t even have time to take my rosary out.... It still worked 🙂
So yes, to answer the OP, what I always carry is my rosary and 2 holy pictures (I forget what they are called in English) my Parish priest gave me when I set off to Jerusalem. They weigh nothing 😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My Rosary is about 125 years old and made by nuns in Lourdes. It's always in my left trouser pocket.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Love this thread!
Water bladder so I don't have to stop to drink. I find I don't drink enough otherwise
Talismans - a st Christopher, a tiny angel and an icthus fish badge given by 3 friends.
I always buy a rosary en route
Absolutely shed loads of plasters!
A notebook. I love writing. I write the names in the cover of everyone who asked to be 'taken' on the Camino with me
Migraine tablets
A cotton scarf that I can loop under my backpack straps and over my head for shade
A safety whistle
Spare laces
A gigantic grin :)

I carry blue goldstone which I bought on a Greek island (can't remember which one) in 2010. I don't really know what it is about this piece (which is actually man-made; copper flecks in glass)...maybe the smooth feel, the changing glitter patterns as you move it in the light...but there is something about this stone which compels me to carry it!
Looking up gemstone websites, it is said to eminate various properties including healing. Although I don't really go in for that sort of thing, I did buy it at a difficult time in my life & holding it evokes a calming affect. I certainly have no intention of leaving it anywhere on any trail.
View attachment 93664
And if all that sounds a bit D&M, I also have 'Hello Kitty' dangling from my hiking pole! 😆
View attachment 93666
👣 🌏
I carried a garnet, I loved that it made the whole 800k in my pocket.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I carry blue goldstone which I bought on a Greek island (can't remember which one) in 2010. I don't really know what it is about this piece (which is actually man-made; copper flecks in glass)...maybe the smooth feel, the changing glitter patterns as you move it in the light...but there is something about this stone which compels me to carry it!
Looking up gemstone websites, it is said to eminate various properties including healing. Although I don't really go in for that sort of thing, I did buy it at a difficult time in my life & holding it evokes a calming affect. I certainly have no intention of leaving it anywhere on any trail.
View attachment 93664
And if all that sounds a bit D&M, I also have 'Hello Kitty' dangling from my hiking pole! 😆
View attachment 93666
👣 🌏
I carried a small garnet for strength and it made the whole journey.

My breakfast Kit: Oat porridge (from home), tea (mostly bought on the Way).
Army mugs, sporks and travel immersion heater.
+
laundry pegs.

Attachments

• putra.jpg
    putra.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 33
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey are we now allowed to board a flight with these? I guess I could buy once in Europe...or do you have to check your backpack?
Whilst the answer may be technically ‘yes’ if you approach the security scan with a ruler, a copy of the IATA regulations and a confident expression, the practical answer is ‘don’t even think about it’. Check your bag or, if you need to, buy a suitable penknife at any ferretería in Spain.

€149,-
Thank you for the quick, and tempting, response!
Michelle,
When I took a flight out of my local airport some time ago, I saw a message going around and around on an overhead screen telling me the exact dimensions, in cm, of a small knife blade that I could take on the plane with me. The next time that I flew, I took my small Swiss Army knife, with a blade a little smaller than required, and had no questions taking it through security, or bringing it home with me. However, I usually buy a larger Opinel knife in Spain to use to cut bread or any large food item. I try to leave it behind somewhere that it can be useful.

It may well vary depending on the country you’re flying from but in the UK the precise prohibition is:

Knife (with a sharp or pointed blade and/or blade longer than 6cm)No

That is any knife with a blade longer than 6cm OR a pointed blade of any length, including less than 6cm OR a sharp blade of any length, including less than 6cm.

... so basically no ‘functional’ knife.

some who think they’ve read the guidance see only ‘6cm’ and fail to see the ‘sharp and pointy’

That prohibits, for example the ‘box cutters’ (Stanley knives) used with tragic consequences on 9/11. Clearly the blade length is well under 6cm, but I wouldn’t want to try taking one of those through security in the US.

Think about it folks. You may well be a fine upstanding citizen, but do you want to be on a flight these days with 300+ others, any of whom were allowed to carry a Swiss Army knife on board?

We’ve been round this circle before. At the security check in UK airports there’s a bin full of knives, scissors etc which the barrack room lawyers, also present here, will tell you categorically should be allowed on board.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It may well vary depending on the country you’re flying from but in the UK the precise prohibition is:

Knife (with a sharp or pointed blade and/or blade longer than 6cm)No

That is any knife with a blade longer than 6cm OR a pointed blade of any length, including less than 6cm OR a sharp blade of any length, including less than 6cm.

... so basically no ‘functional’ knife.

some who think they’ve read the guidance see only ‘6cm’ and fail to see the ‘sharp and pointy’

That prohibits, for example the ‘box cutters’ (Stanley knives) used with tragic consequences on 9/11. Clearly the blade length is well under 6cm, but I wouldn’t want to try taking one of those through security in the US.

Think about it folks. You may well be a fine upstanding citizen, but do you want to be on a flight these days with 300+ others, any of whom were allowed to carry a Swiss Army knife on board?

We’ve been round this circle before. At the security check in UK airports there’s a bin full of knives, scissors etc which the barrack room lawyers, also present here, will tell you categorically should be allowed on board.
Something else to consider is that the restrictions on knives are not only on planes but, in Spain, can also be found in trains. But in planes, you can always put your knife in the checked luggage. Trains do not have that option.

Something else to consider is that the restrictions on knives are not only on planes but, in Spain, can also be found in trains. But in planes, you can always put your knife in the checked luggage. Trains do not have that option.
Several years ago I took the high-speed train from Madrid to Seville to start the VdlP. The young man who was managing luggage screening put my backpack, containing a small Swiss Army knife, on the baggage carousal, then became focused on his important task of ordering me to take my shirt off and put it on too. The shirt was long-sleeved and unbuttoned over a tshirt. By the time I had figured out that the shirt was the "chaqueta" to which he was referring, the pack and knife had gone through the scanner. unobserved

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ll be carrying a few small items on pilgrimage with me, some for me and a few for others.

* A pair of my son’s infant socks. I carried them in my headgear when I was far away from home just after his birth. I don’t believe that good luck charms have any efficacy but they bought some comfort and I felt closer to my wife and son with them.

* A set of aviator’s wings for a couple who lost their son in an aviation incident.

* A rosary or two to be blessed at journey’s end for some friends.

* a few intercessions / prayers that others have asked me to leave at the Cathedral.

Other than that my load is just a standard pilgrim load out.

Edit: So that’s more than one thing (mathematics were never my strong suit) and really had nothing to do with the OP. Sorry ‘bout that.

Last edited:
Shower shoes, like flip flops! I cannot do without shower shoes to help ensure my hygiene in public washrooms and public showers; for stumbling to toilets across courtyards at 3:00 AM; and best of all, arriving at an albergue after a day of trekking, removing my shoes and donning shower shoes to let my feet aerate for a few hours as I sip a tinto or a cerveza!!

We speak about keeping our pack light, eliminating the "nice to haves" and then, the night before departure, unpacking and again removing the "might needs." All that said, I am sure there is one item: a keepsake, picture or going away gift you must accept and in your pack it goes. On my first Camino, I carried a number of prayer cards for my recently deceased cousin killed in a terrible accident. I placed them in Churches, at many of the shrines along the Way and behind a confessional in the Cathedral of Santiago. What did you just have to carry?
I saw one pilgrim carrying one of those ceramic Nordic Elves determined to leave it at the Cruz de Ferro. Alas, he grew so attached to the Elf he took it back home.
Now, open your pack and your mind and reveal that special item carried deep inside your pack and possible your soul.
Eso es correcto, llevamos cosas de más. OK

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I also bring a tiny kit with colored pencils, ink, water colors; but the weight is negligible. Where I go against logic (what I can't live without), is a set of clothes to wear at night. One light dress shirt, one light pair of shorts, and found a pair of super light, soft leather sandals. There is something indispensable to me about being able to put on a comfortable outfit and walk around like a "normal" person. Doesn't set me back more than half a kilo.

Attachments

• portugal watercolor.jpg
    portugal watercolor.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 19
I also bring a tiny kit with colored pencils, ink, water colors; but the weight is negligible. Where I go against logic (what I can't live without), is a set of clothes to wear at night. One light dress shirt, one light pair of shorts, and found a pair of super light, soft leather sandals. There is something indispensable to me about being able to put on a comfortable outfit and walk around like a "normal" person. Doesn't set me back more than half a kilo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You def have to check your backpack. No knive of any kind allowed inside the plane

According to EU-Regulations you CAN bring a knife, sciccors or the like with you as long as the blade is shorter than 6cm.
Of course this only applies to flights in the EU.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe. Maybe not. See post #133 above.
There is no maybe. First, post #133 refers to the UK, which is no longer part of the EU and if they for some reason have similar rulings as the EU is beyond my knowledge.

Second: on this official page you can download a .pdf of the prohibited items https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/security/information-air-travellers_en

it cleary states:

1624551289750.png

Yes, it is written by goverment officials, so it might be difficult to understand, but to me it is quite clear that a Knife that does not have a blade of more than 6cm is not forbidden.

post #133 refers to the UK
True. Thanks for the correction about the EU versus UK rules.

However, your list says those items are included among the forbidden. It does not say that the list is exhaustive and that everything else is allowed. That is where the inconsistencies come in - the airport or agency policy, or the individual agent, can still disallow other items such as a knife with a shorter blade.

True. Thanks for the correction about the EU versus UK rules.

However, your list says those items are included among the forbidden. It does not say that the list is exhaustive and that everything else is allowed. That is where the inconsistencies come in - the airport or agency policy, or the individual agent, can still disallow other items such as a knife with a shorter blade.

I agree that the words could be simpler. Usually, if a goverment text states something as specifically forbidden, it is implied that the not specified thing is allowed. In this example, they could have just wirtten "knifes" but chose to write "knifes longer than 6cm", hence the implied allowance of shorter ones.
But i agree, some official at the airport might still forbid you taking it. They won't be correct in doing so, but either the knife or the flight will be gone, depending on the outcome of the discussion.

(same goes for the beloved trekking pole btw. technically, it's allowed ;) )

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree. A fit 120 pound woman can probably carry more weight than an unfit 150 pound woman of the same height.
Teeth! Spare ones:) No joke! I may have posted this back when I was young but coming out of a Refugio (remember those ? ) and singing happy pilgrim songs, I suddenly wondered why there was a gale howling past where the tonsils used to be. Ah yes, the teeth were not in my skull. Did I go back? Nope, I just fished out the spare upper and carried on singing!

Buen camino

Samarkand.

I always have a journal and several colored pens/pencils. I'm not really that good at drawing, but I tend to sketch a bit and often choose the color of the ink I use based on my mood at the moment. My last Camino, I actually had to buy a new journal halfway through because I wrote so much!

I have a shell I picked up while I was an exchange student in Germany back in 93-94 that I added the Santiago cross to for my pilgrim shell. I glued a pin to the back, but it fell off on my last Camino, and I have yet to fix it again. I may just put it in one of my pockets.

I tend to take at least 4 sets of clothing for my Caminos because I can't stand doing laundry every day.

And, I'm bringing something new for this Camino--reading glasses. Unfortunately, middle age has caught up to me!

Ruth

I agree that the words could be simpler. Usually, if a goverment text states something as specifically forbidden, it is implied that the not specified thing is allowed. In this example, they could have just wirtten "knifes" but chose to write "knifes longer than 6cm", hence the implied allowance of shorter ones.
But i agree, some official at the airport might still forbid you taking it. They won't be correct in doing so, but either the knife or the flight will be gone, depending on the outcome of the discussion.

(same goes for the beloved trekking pole btw. technically, it's allowed ;) )
As a professional civil servant, I tend to side with C clearly here. That word "including" wasn't put in there randomly. It adds a specific meaning. If they hadn't put it in, one would reasonably assume that the list below was the list of items prohibited, described broadly by the introductory text. Adding the word "including" makes them just examples and not a complete list. It gives the individual agents or organizations to add to that list as they see fit, within the broad language of the introductory text.

Anything in the list of specific items is certainly prohibited. Anything with a sharp point or sharp edge capable of being used to cause serious injury not on the list may also be prohibited, but isn't required to be prohibited. It gives some flex for judgement. It's why some permit hiking poles and some don't. Some see them as having a point that can be used to cause serious injury and some don't. Those who do can prohibit them, even if they aren't on the list.

View attachment 93699
Ultralight alcohol burning stove for making coffee. Last February there were only a few bars open. It has been with me on three Caminos and will be with me on my next Camino too.
Nice!

I have the same Evernew stove and 900 ml mug pot. But I usually prefer to leave the somewhat finicky DX set-up at home and just carry the burner with a titanium cross-stand, as shown below.

In either case, a homemade windscreen is essential.

Last edited:
I always take my Wakwaka solar charger / flashlight. After a day's walking, I can charge my phone and find my way around in the dark.

Lightweight Woolen rather large merino scarf 95x195cm - weighs almost nothing - the most versatile thing to bring on a winter-camino! You can obviously use it to warm your neck, but if you are soaking wet after having been exposed to slushy snow - you can keep warm if you tuck the scarf crossed over your chest - under the so-called water-proof jacket (nothing beats slushy snow) - then you can continue walking and still keep warm. You can use it as a wrap around your body before and after showering - and as a towel. Moreover, you can use it as a skirt (yes!), use it as a pillowcase with some clothes to have a more relaxed pillow - if you don't like the superduper-stuffed pillows they tend to have everywhere in Spain (and worldwide). You can even use it as a curtain if you sleep in lower bunk bed... Or to stabilize your arm if you have fallen and hit yourself badly. If you are cold at night - it can even act as an extra blanket inside your sleeping bag. There are even more ways to use it, but not suitable on the Camino.
Now you know. I used it in March and October on Camino Frances. Maybe not that useful during summer.

I bring woolen yarn and wooden (soundless) knitting needles... to knit a self designed sweater in lots of shades of nice colors while walking. I knit when I walk, when rather flat and no rain/snow, during breakfast, lunch and in the evenings. So relaxing and nice - (and for those of you who think I miss lots of the scenery while knitting; I actually even more focused while knitting - as I knit without looking at it) - and it is also a fantastic door-opener to chat with elder local women on the camino.
I am so impressed!!!! It is incomprehensible that anyone can walk and knit. Or walk and do anything but chew the proverbial gum. I have to watch my feet when I walk, or else I trip. I mean I would trip a lot. 🤯

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There have been a number of essential and sentimental items listed already, several of which I also find I want/need. One of my first stops upon arrival (in Spain or France) is to a pharmacy where I can pick up a tube of Voltaren/flogoprofen gel, which I apply most mornings to my dodgy knees.
Um 100% me. I smuggle as much ibuprofen gel as I can manage each trip home. Voltaren we can get locally. 😂

As I've already 'dropped' 16 kg in body weight.........
Can I put an extra 16 kgs in my pack? :cool:
I'm affraid the original recommendation says you shouldn't pack more than 10% of your body weight. So when you dropped 16 kg... 🤣 Anyway, congratulations, your knots and bolts will love you for this effort. I should have done it too pre-camino but there was simply no time and energy for it so here I am - mobydick at the foot of the Pyrenees (later next week). 😉

This year I will be bringing sufficient modified-release paracetamol for my time away. I generally use a generic, but others may know it as Panadol Osteo, Panadol Extend or a variety of similar names. It hasn't been available in the EU for several years so far as I can tell, after marketing permission was withdrawn by the EMA (see here).

I can’t live without my ear protection that is worn at the range. It blocks out all noise especially snoring.
AB7C75DE-E434-4D28-869A-3392139AC2B5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

€46,-
Haha... for me? It is something that probably everyone has... Clean underwear! I can go without lots of things in my backpack - but I want to be able to shower and put on a clean pair of underwear every day. I could wear the same shirts or short or pants a couple days in a row if I have to - but I must shower and change those underwear after I walk.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 10% rule isn't a rule at all. When in the Marines, slim, muscled and trim, I weighted in at 175 lbs/79kg. My field pack, without ammo and rifle was about 70 lbs/31kg. Yet, by the “rule” I should carry a 17 lb/7.9kg pack. The ideal weight is always going to be determined by the requirements of the trip, not by some magical ratio to your body weight, no matter how you measure it. Going into combat where you carry everything you “may need” is different from the Camino where the “may needs” are removed. All else being equal, the least weight you can get away with is best.
If you start your Camino weighing 200lbs/97kg and you lose 10lbs/4.5kg of body fat your muscles are strengthened and although you started with a pack weighing under 20lbs/9kg the only thing you should add to your pack is a six-pack of cerveza. As you walk you remain refreshed and urinate away the extra weight.
The 10% rule came from a study about how heavy kids school backpacks should be! It drives me crazy seeing how everyone on every hiking board seems to misuse this "rule" and apply it for backpacking purposes!

It IS a good starting point - if you aren't significantly overweight lol - for those who do want to pack light. But I wouldn't consider a 300lb guy carrying a 30lb bag - packing light. And 30lbs IS 10% of the guys body weight, right? LOL

And I concur - pack weight should be based on needs for the trip. For the Camino - I aim for under 15lbs. For the Pacific Crest Trail, I would consider 45lbs to be "light" LMAO - especially the parts where I need to carry LOTS of food and water!

The 10% rule came from a study about how heavy kids school backpacks should be! It drives me crazy seeing how everyone on every hiking board seems to misuse this "rule" and apply it for backpacking purposes!

It IS a good starting point - if you aren't significantly overweight lol - for those who do want to pack light. But I wouldn't consider a 300lb guy carrying a 30lb bag - packing light. And 30lbs IS 10% of the guys body weight, right? LOL

And I concur - pack weight should be based on needs for the trip. For the Camino - I aim for under 15lbs. For the Pacific Crest Trail, I would consider 45lbs to be "light" LMAO - especially the parts where I need to carry LOTS of food and water!
It's more about having fun with that "rule" than taking it all too seriously. 😉 Personally, I don't sleep outside when on camino so I don't need a tent and other necessities, so for me packing light means not wear more than 5 kg including water and a bit of food (I'm well over 70 kg right now). This would be my sixt camino (all 700 - 900+ km) and I never missed anything what wasn't inside my mochila. Also I like to cover longer distances per day because I totally love to be still on foot when the day changes from dawn to dusk (not every day though and I'm not walking fast at all). We're all different people with different opinions just about everything but I believe we all want to be happy there on our caminos. So enjoy it, my dear fellow peregrinos and peregrinas, whatever you choose to pack with you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have helped pilgrims reduce their pack weights while serving at Estella. It is still early enough on the Camino that people are starting to realize they have too much. (People often ask the hospiterlera for help with this.) I helped one German lad reduce his pack weight more than 10 pounds. I encouraged him to "leave for other pilgrims" things he was not attached to (6 full bottles and tubes of creams, lotions he had not yet used) and mail ahead things that he wanted to keep (certain items of clothing, extra shoes, etc.) We had one pilgrim who carried two tents because he wasn't sure which he might need! Neither was lightweight and he did leave one. I suspect he abondoned the other at some later point.

Our donation box was always full and of interest to pilgrims coming along the next day. We had a whole boy scout cook set and stove at one point along with a popup beach sunshade. Crazily enough someone took some of those heavy things with them the next day!

I am pleased to say that I packed my summer Camino pack this weekend and with travel CPAP and my meds it still weighed less than 5.5 kg! We'll be walking and serving for a total of 6 weeks and the pack will get lighter as use up medications and CPAP supplies!

I pack a super lightweight yoga mat (235g). I'm small so I was able to cut it down a few inches to save on weight. It's so light that it's not a great mat, but good enough to encourage me to get on the floor and do a few yoga poses and stretches after walking every day.
I started out with a light yoga block also my first camino, but that quickly made it to the bounce box. Though it did also double as a "pack stand".

Keepi
Now, open your pack and your mind and reveal that special item carried deep inside your pack and possible your sokee
Keeping my sanity lol ..only on my 6th day and shed my pack in half from 4kg to 2kg ..just the essentials nothing else

It's more about having fun with that "rule" than taking it all too seriously. 😉
I get you! I am kind of that way too... my 10% is right around 13-14 pounds... so for me 10% of body weight is fine for the Camino.

Unfortunately.... way too many people INSIST on the 10% rule without taking into account how ridiculous that may be for someone who is very underweight and/or small or very overweight and/or big. Packing too light can be as problematic as overpacking if you don't have the basic necessary gear to survive in whatever circumstances you may be in.

I have helped pilgrims reduce their pack weights while serving at Estella. It is still early enough on the Camino that people are starting to realize they have too much. (People often ask the hospiterlera for help with this.) I helped one German lad reduce his pack weight more than 10 pounds. I encouraged him to "leave for other pilgrims" things he was not attached to (6 full bottles and tubes of creams, lotions he had not yet used) and mail ahead things that he wanted to keep (certain items of clothing, extra shoes, etc.) We had one pilgrim who carried two tents because he wasn't sure which he might need! Neither was lightweight and he did leave one. I suspect he abondoned the other at some later point.

Our donation box was always full and of interest to pilgrims coming along the next day. We had a whole boy scout cook set and stove at one point along with a popup beach sunshade. Crazily enough someone took some of those heavy things with them the next day!

I am pleased to say that I packed my summer Camino pack this weekend and with travel CPAP and my meds it still weighed less than 5.5 kg! We'll be walking and serving for a total of 6 weeks and the pack will get lighter as use up medications and CPAP supplies!
Sometimes, like the German guy, we pack our fears

there's more than one - but, one that many people find unusual - but, it works - it's a killer in the Sahara, the tropics - Vietnam, Thailand, in the muck, Tasmania, outback Australia, UK - winter, Europe - winter in slop and summer in heat ------------

an umbrella

laugh may well some of you - but, do you see Indians wearing hats?? - or do you see umbrellas?

I can walk with pack or no pack with brolly up for 30 km easy peasy - it becomes part of you

here's the tips ---

1. Sun --- an umbrella kills a hat or a cap -- hats/caps heat your head up - a brolly - keeps you almost in full shade and you are fully ventilated

2. rain - a given

3. an umbrella is the best by a country mile defense against dogs - with the exception of full on attack - where only capsicum spray will do ------------- in Vietnam - the dogs are small - but, can be aggressive and charge - as night comes in - they get more aggressive -

a quality travel umbrella (won't be cheap) carried in the closed position and opened when the dog charges - scares the heck out of the dog - they are off at light speed. If the umbrella is open - they usually don't like you just lowering it.
In Thailand - the dogs are bigger - but, can be aggressive also--

both places -- rabies --- you do NOT want rabies - that's a very bad hobby.

4. Motor bikes - in SEA - there's a bazillion motor bikes - they will give you about 300 mm clearance - but, if you have a brolly up - they give you almost a metre. If you tilt your hand 25 mm towards them - they add another half meter

I go nowhere without an umbrella -- my current one has done thousands of kilometres over many nations on several continents ---- mine is a NZ made -- Blunt Metro ---- made for Kiwi winds

1649075260337.png

I use a Transcend Auto. Configured for the Camino, it is about 800 gm lighter than taking my regular CPAP. In a bag with all the accessories I need the travel CPAP is about 1.2 kg. That could be reduced a little, but at the expense of protecting the machine from any hard knocks that might arise when it is in my pack.
  • The base machine is about 430 gm, and is about 960 gm lighter than my regular CPAP, but uses a heavier power supply with plugs for several countries. The other accessories are the same for both machines.
  • I don't have a battery, but it can be used with one. There is anecdotal evidence that the batteries don't last as long as claimed. One user I spoke to had the '8 hour' battery, but he didn't get a full nights sleep with this. He thought the battery lasted less than six hours. There is a larger battery option for this machine, but that will also add more to the weight.
  • I never had any difficulty finding power points. Your friend might want to have a card made up stating that they are a CPAP user and need access to a power point in several languages other than English.
  • This is an auto-titrating machine, ie it has an algorithm that tries to set as low an operating pressure as possible consistent with providing effective treatment. When I last spoke to my sleep specialist about this, his view is that these are generally, but not universally, effective. My sleep specialist can get a data dump from my regular machine to see how well it is working for me, but cannot do that for the travel machine. Whether he doesn't have the right connectors or it just isn't possible wasn't discussed.
  • My travel machine does not have some of the features, like auto-start and auto-stop, that my regular machine provides. I find these to be minor inconveniences, and not having them doesn't affect the basic effectiveness of the machine when it is in use.
ps there are several threads discussing CPAP use on the Camino. You might want to do a search to find them. They have a broader range of information and views from a range of CPAP users.

On my first camino I took my silver 1 decade rosary beads given to me when I was baptised. When I was in Santiago I bought a 1 decade rosewood camino set. They are small and fit into a small one inch case. I will carry these on my next camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back