• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's the weather like on the pyrenees right now?

Vincent O Donovan

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2016
Hi,
I will be leaving SJPdP next Sunday March 27th and am hoping to take the napolean route over the pyrenees. Wondering what the weather is like. I'd be devastated if I have to go the lower route!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
I will be leaving SJPdP next Sunday March 27th and am hoping to take the napolean route over the pyrenees. Wondering what the weather is like. I'd be devastated if I have to go the lower route!
No, you just think you'll be devastated. I thought I'd be devastated too, but I survived. You'll be so taken up with just being there, and meeting all the other peregrinos, it wouldn't matter and, besides, the Valcarlos route is really quite beautiful. (We started April 7 and the Route Napoleon was snowed in). Buen, buen Camino. :)

Well.... I believe the route is closed until April first, if that doesn't deter you, knowing that 2 pilgrims were rescued on the route just last week may. And if that doesn't deter you, thinking about the almost 6000€ instalment on their rescue bill might...

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

The route is now closed during the Winter months. It opens on 1 April BUT it doesn't mean it is safe to take! It is vital to first enquire at the pilgrim's office who will advise on the weather conditions, which can change from one day to the next!
Ignoring their recommendation means risking your life and that of rescuers (who may or may not find you in time).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
We walked the route last year on April 1. The pilgrims office will give you the instructions when you visit them before your journey. Do not be devastated because the Volcarlos route is beautiful. It is for your own safety and the safety of your rescuers. Have a lovely camino.

Hi,
Napoleon route is closed until April 1st.
You have to walk the Valcarlos route also very beautiful according to my wife.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Guess I'll check it out when I'm over there but much happier now if I have to take the Valcarlos route given what you have said. To be honest I just can't wait to get walking! ⛪

On the 27th rain is predicted. The snow level will be about 1,300 meters, so it should not be snowing.

I will be leaving SJPP on the 11th of April. I hope the snow will melt by then. If not, what is it like to walk the Napoleon Route with snow on the ground?

what is it like to walk the Napoleon Route with snow on the ground?
Possibly muddy and slippery! There is often a warning for avalanches when thawing begins. Ice may form in the morning. The road sections, most of the route (and all of the route if you stay on the road and turn right before descending into Roncesvalles), will not be a problem even if there is snow on the ground.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

Hi, I'm starting from SJPdP on April 1st (my first Camino) and had the same question about the route Napoleon. So I called the tourist information in SJPdP and asked if the route was open. They replied it was closed and they estimated it would remain so thru my start date. Apparently there is heavy snow above 500m. I watched a recent video of pilgrims getting airlifted off the mountain, just to prove it. As much as I would have preferred to follow the Route Napoleon, I believe everything happens for a reason. So I look forward to taking the route via Valcarlos on my first day. Buen Camino.

Hi, I'm starting from SJPdP on April 1st (my first Camino) and had the same question about the route Napoleon. So I called the tourist information in SJPdP and asked if the route was open. They replied it was closed and they estimated it would remain so thru my start date. Apparently there is heavy snow above 500m. I watched a recent video of pilgrims getting airlifted off the mountain, just to prove it. As much as I would have preferred to follow the Route Napoleon, I believe everything happens for a reason. So I look forward to taking the route via Valcarlos on my first day. Buen Camino.
@Pete Ryan , by law now the route is closed at least until April 1st.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm leaving from SJPP on 1st April and my plan was to follow the Route Napoleon despite its dificulty.. After all the information you have and considering the fact that I will travel on 30 of March all day long I'm thinking to change the plan. Buen Camino!

I am leaving SJPDP on April 11th and have prepaid at Orisson. What happens if the Napoleon route is closed or not recommended? Is there a possibility of getting money back or have I just donated for an unused bed at Orisson?

I myself, am not setting expectations, I am sure tourists cause much trouble in ANY country by sheer ignorance... not cool.
I shall just place one foot in front of the other and allow the Camino to guide my Way...
Keep safe everyone!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Bumpa as I understand it if you are staying at Orisson and it is not safe to cross via the Route Napoleon the hospitalero will look after you by transporting you to the Valcarlos route.

If you check with the pilgrim office and it is obvious even before leaving SJPDP I assume you can cancel at Orisson and get a refund. Does anyone have experience of this?

I am leaving SJPDP on April 11th and have prepaid at Orisson. What happens if the Napoleon route is closed or not recommended? Is there a possibility of getting money back or have I just donated for an unused bed at Orisson?
You probably will have made a donation. They will arrange transportation to SJPdP or Roncesvalles, but they are not likely to refund your money.

Hi Pete, the Valcarlos route is very nice to. My wife walked the Valcarlos route in 2013 and she loved it very much.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are booked into Orisson and are advised by the pilgrim office that the Route Napoleon is closed, don't assume that Orisson will be open. We learned at the eleventh hour, when the snow and weather at the top was dreadful, that Orisson would not be open that night, and we had to divert to Valcarlos. Orisson gave us a refund, no problem. My advice is that if the weather is iffy, contact Orisson before you leave SJPP. If the weather is fair when you get to Orisson, and it turns bad overnight, then Orisson will arrange transportation for its pilgrims down to Valcarlos.

If you are booked into Orisson and are advised by the pilgrim office that the Route Napoleon is closed, don't assume that Orisson will be open. We learned at the eleventh hour, when the snow and weather at the top was dreadful, that Orisson would not be open that night, and we had to divert to Valcarlos. Orisson gave us a refund, no problem. My advice is that if the weather is iffy, contact Orisson before you leave SJPP. If the weather is fair when you get to Orisson, and it turns bad overnight, then Orisson will arrange transportation for its pilgrims down to Valcarlos.

Thank you all for the constructive comments. Due to time constraints, I can only hike for 18 or 19 days this trip and therefore will be back to complete the Camino. I am being picked up in Pamplona by Corazon Pura for the night and ride on to SJPDP. I'll check the weather and if it is iffy, I think that I'll just head West from Pamplona. I'll treat the Orisson payment as a donation for their continued good works :)

Hi Vincent,
I returned to Dublin yesterday from a 7 day walk , Roncevalles to Najera.it was absolutely stunning. However, there was a lot of snow on the pyrennes and it was even impossible to walk immediately from roncevalles on the trail. We walked the first 7 km on the road and then when snow lessened on the track joined it then. The weather went from deep winter to 20 degrees on our third day and then back to between 3 to 15 degrees .
Personally I was glad we didn't do the Valcarlos route as it is on the main road and the traffic was busy with buses and lorries. Many Pelegrinos started In Roncevalles and many more in Pamplona.
A word also of advise, don't delay your coffee stops as many cafes had not opened and there were occasionally a 10 or 12 km hike between café con leches!
also you will need sun screen .
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Guess I'll check it out when I'm over there but much happier now if I have to take the Valcarlos route given what you have said. To be honest I just can't wait to get walking! ⛪
Remember have no expectations and you will have no disappointments Vincent, enjoy the journey no matter what path you take.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the links to the weather sites

Last year I started in Roncesvalles and consequently developed a Napoleon complex. This year, I am determined to walk the Napoleon Route. I have some flexibility to spend a few days in SJPP waiting for the weather to improve. I will arrive to SJPP on 8 April, three days before my reservation at Orisson, and could stay there for a few extra days.

Let's say the weather is great a day or two before my reserved night at Orisson. If I come to Orisson early, will they be able to accommodate me, e.g., on a mattress on the floor?

Let's say on the 11th (the date of my reservation) I can get to Orisson and spend a night there, but on the 12th I can't do the Napoleon thing to the top. Would Orisson let me hang around for a day or two? I would be happy to pay for extra days or use a mattress on the floor.

One more question. Last year, pilgrims who walked the Napoleon Route mentioned really strong winds. A fairly large man said that he thought he could be blown off his feet. Is this common? Do the Pilgrims' Office in SJPP and Orisson warn about winds?

I will be flying out in a few days, and even though I am a repeat offender, the butterflies in my stomach are acting up. I hope these butterflies won't cause any chaos across the globe.

I will be leaving SJPP on the 11th of April. I hope the snow will melt by then. If not, what is it like to walk the Napoleon Route with snow on the ground?

In the morning it will be firm to walk on top. You will be pleased at your progress.

By noon the crust will have weakened enough so you are able to step on it and have it break just as you take your next step. This is very good for the knees.

By afternoon it will be soft so that the effort is two steps forward and one step back ... good for character development only.

Remember your sunscreen. Glacier walkers often get sun burn on the roof of the mouth.

By evening a mist will rise from it making it impossible to navigate.

At night the suncups will be frozen. You will slip on the dish unless you firmly plant your boot on the flat bottom. Walking becomes difficult due to the icy conditions. This too is good for the knees.

There is nothing like walking in spring snow conditions in the mountains.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the morning it will be firm to walk on top. You will be pleased at your progress.

By noon the crust will have weakened enough so you are able to step on it and have it break just as you take your next step. This is very good for the knees.

By afternoon it will be soft so that the effort is two steps forward and one step back ... good for character development only.

Remember your sunscreen. Glacier walkers often get sun burn on the roof of the mouth.

By evening a mist will rise from it making it impossible to navigate.

At night the suncups will be frozen. You will slip on the dish unless you firmly plant your boot on the flat bottom. Walking becomes difficult due to the icy conditions. This too is good for the knees.

There is nothing like walking in spring snow conditions in the mountains.

Thank you, whariwharangi! I love your positive take on every condition.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back