• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's with the bottles of water?

jeffnd

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2014
Did anyone else notice the bottles of water? I always saw them in little villages by people's front doors. I thought they might be left for pilgrims who needed a drink, but that didn't make much sense. Most towns have a water fountain so why drink tepid water that has been sitting out in the sun all day when fresh water was readily available? Second thing that made me think the water wasn't for drinking was that a lot of it didn't look very clean.

A person I walked with said they might be used for bug repellant, but I don't see how a bottle of water would keep bugs away.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, your kind informant is right. Not only in Spain, in many countries it is quite customary to hang plastic bags (the bottles are apparently a modernization of this idea) filled with water to repel flies and mosquitoes. It is a practice popular with some restaurant owners, and they swear for it. I heard somewhere a (seudo?)scientific theory about difraction of sunlight and bugs becoming disoriented. Sounds as material for a"Mythbusters" program...and who knows? It could even work.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I see this in my neighborhood as well... bottles of water in front of garage doors and doors leading out to the street. Why? Dogs will not pee on these bottles (=will not pee on the door). With no bottles, dogs would leave their mark... and then the next one comes along and will leave its mark and so on.. It actually works!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ivar got it absolutely correct. Many doors along the Camino stand behind another half door easily opened and when shut is a comfortable place to lean and gossip. It is also there to keep dogs, cats, rabbits, and other varmints from entering the house. Many houses along the Camino are made from something like stucco or even adobe, materials which readily absorb dog urine which will dry however the odor will persist for decades! Are the bottles effective? Can't argue with tradition.

057-acebo2.jpg or
upload_2014-7-15_12-27-20.png

Attachments

• House-in-Vilamayor-del-Río-Spain-Camino-de-Santiago.jpg
    House-in-Vilamayor-del-Río-Spain-Camino-de-Santiago.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 50
  • House-in-Vilamayor-del-Río-Spain-Camino-de-Santiago.jpg
    House-in-Vilamayor-del-Río-Spain-Camino-de-Santiago.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 37
I see this in my neighborhood as well... bottles of water in front of garage doors and doors leading out to the street. Why? Dogs will not pee on these bottles (=will not pee on the door). With no bottles, dogs would leave their mark... and then the next one comes along and will leave its mark and so on.. It actually works!
Leaving 2 litre plastic bottles of water on the lawn used to be quite common if you had no boundary fence at the street. People told me that dogs were seriously impressed at the prospective size of the resident dog if it had droppings that big so didn't dare mark the lawn. However I haven't noticed many bottles lately - maybe the dogs smelled a rat. Besides the bottles rolled all over the verge when you tried mowing the lawn.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Correct, Ivar and Scruffy!

Same 'but different', it was explained to me that it was a deterrent for dogs 'going' in that area, because dogs wouldn't soil in their drinking area. (Water bottles ). That's my story ! Maybe Ozzie dogs !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Did anyone else notice the bottles of water? I always saw them in little villages by people's front doors. I thought they might be left for pilgrims who needed a drink, but that didn't make much sense. Most towns have a water fountain so why drink tepid water that has been sitting out in the sun all day when fresh water was readily available? Second thing that made me think the water wasn't for drinking was that a lot of it didn't look very clean.

A person I walked with said they might be used for bug repellant, but I don't see how a bottle of water would keep bugs away.
They're to stop dogs peeing on the doorstep.

Jars of water are very popular in yards in Hawaii to keep dogs off the lawn. The custom persists, despite a lack of empirical support for the practice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
i asked my albergue owner. he said it wards off dogs and flies. something about the visual distortion caused by the water. in louisiana you'll see baggies full of water at cafes for the same reason.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back