• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's your average pace?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Just so you know - I am not a backpacker. Walking the Camino will be my first real backpacking experience. I am however, a really good walker. :)
My average walking pace when I'm alone is 4 miles per hour (6.4 km/hr) - and that includes hills. So I was thinking that 3 miles per hour (4.8 km/hr) should be a reasonable pace on the Camino. But today I was talking to a friend that backpacks a lot, and she said that she considers 2 miles per hour (3.2 km/hr) a good rate when hiking with a backpack - but she carries a lot of weight - 30+ pounds (13+ kg)

So what do you think is a reasonable pace for walking the Camino? I'm hoping to reach Santiago from SJPDP in 36 days or less, including a stay at Orisson.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My comfortable walking speed on fairly level even ground, carrying little weight, and going from point A to point B, is about 5 km/h. On the camino I found that I generally walked 4 km/h if I didn't stop except for maybe a photo or shoe-lace-tying here and there. In certain conditions (steep hills, mud, etc) I might do only 2 km/h.

For planning purposes, to include several breaks, I would expect to cover 3 km/h on average over the course of the day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recall writing about this elsewhere, but I cannot find it right now. There are several of things to consider.
  • First, what you can sustain on training walks may be difficult to maintain day after day on the Camino. Don't be surprised if you cannot maintain a rate much above 5km/hr.
  • Second, the weight you are carrying makes a lot of difference. To walk fast, you need to walk light. Alternatively, if you do have a heavier pack, accept that you will be slower. I have shared some personal examples in the past, but they support your friend's suggestion about average speeds with heavier packs.
  • Third, hills do make a difference if you are wearing a pack. I find the basic Naismith rule works pretty well, although there are variants you might find more useful. Wikipedia has a good article on these rules of thumb.
  • Last, breaks will quickly bring your overall average speed down more quickly than anything else. If you walk for a two hours at 5kph and take 15 minutes for coffee your average speed has dropped to 4.4kph. Do another two hours walking and take an hour for lunch, and your average is now under 4kph and it will take another hour's walking to just get it back to 4kph. The Camino is not that mechanical, but you get the idea. And this is not counting the short stops to chat, take photos, smell the flowers or just adjust your pack.

Last edited:
Just so you know - I am not a backpacker. Walking the Camino will be my first real backpacking experience. I am however, a really good walker. :)
My average walking pace when I'm alone is 4 miles per hour (6.4 km/hr) - and that includes hills. So I was thinking that 3 miles per hour (4.8 km/hr) should be a reasonable pace on the Camino. But today I was talking to a friend that backpacks a lot, and she said that she considers 2 miles per hour (3.2 km/hr) a good rate when hiking with a backpack - but she carries a lot of weight - 30+ pounds (13+ kg)

So what do you think is a reasonable pace for walking the Camino? I'm hoping to reach Santiago from SJPDP in 36 days or less, including a stay at Orisson.
You should maybe not try and decide from now what your rate per hour is going to be as you going to miss out on the 'point' of the Camino before you start...

It depends of your state of mind; on flat surfaces, after a few days, you will have no problem to average 6 km/h. The "problem" is, I always stop to chat to people, see places, take photos, drink water... and the end of the day, the average, including stops, is between 4 and 4.5 km/h.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just stating the obvious here but your walking pace is only one factor in deciding your daily stages and the number of days to reach Santiago. I think that the number of hours actually spent walking per day is probably more significant overall. I like to walk until late afternoon or early evening - with lots of breaks for drinks, visiting churches, a leisurely menu del dia if possible, and the occasional afternoon nap :) Even with a fairly slow average pace of about 4km per hour the daily distances soon mount up. That pattern may be difficult along the Frances in summer if you find yourself caught up in a "bed race" unless you reserve accommodation in advance: something I am personally very reluctant to do. I do feel sad when I read of people feeling pressured into queueing for an albergue's 1pm opening time. One of the main reasons why I prefer other routes and quieter seasons these days.

Last edited:
I only walk at 4 kph. But as stated above, what is probably more important is the numbers of walking hour per day and the number and length of breaks.

I tend to walk 8-10 hours including breaks.

But hey, why bother counting!

Just walk , till you want to stop. Or reach your chosen destination.

Are you asking the question to make sure you can finish in 36 days? If so, my answer is yes. I walked my first camino in 31 or 32 days and I was neither a fast walker or an experienced one. Most days I stopped walking very early, not because of a bed race but because of the heat - it was in July 2012.
I took no 'rest' days but spent a night in Monte de Gozo instead of carrying on to Santiago.
Buen camino :)

PS I have no idea what my average pace is on the Camino but on another pilgrimage, we calculated 5km/h including stops. It was important to make sure there would be enough daylight to reach a particular place.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
PS I have no idea what my average pace is on the Camino but on another pilgrimage, we calculated 5km/h including stops. It was important to make sure there would be enough daylight to reach a particular place.

A good point. I get very irritated at times with replies to practical questions like the one the OP asks which boil down to "don't worry" or "it will be OK" or my own pet hate "the Camino will provide". So much easier to relax and enjoy the experience when you are well-prepared mentally and physically. Why do so many of us assume that the spiritual and the pragmatic don't mix?

In April, our average Time on Trail, that is the time measured when we started walking till when we put packs down at the end of the day including all stops....worked out to 3 hours for 10 km. A 25 km day took us 7.5 hours. No planning, just sort of worked out that way. Our detailed gps tracks with pace info can be found at stevedeployed.com if you want more detailed info.

I walked too fast the first Camino about 6km/hour and paid the price after about three weeks with tendonitis. Also walked too far; I have since learnt that for me about 20km/day is a good average; also learnt the hard way after doing many high 20s and up to 34km in a day. It really depends on your body and if you are using walking poles which I believe reduce the impact on knees and ankles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recall wtiting about this elsewhere, but I cannot find it right now. There are several of things to consider.
  • First, what you can sustain on training walks may be difficult to maintain day after day on the Camino. Don't be surprised if you cannot maintain a rate much above 5km/hr.
  • Second, the weight you are carrying makes a lot of difference. To walk fast, you need to walk light. Alternatively, if you do have a heavier pack, accept that you will be slower. I have shared some personal examples in the past, but they support your friend's suggestion about average speeds with heavier packs.
  • Third, hills do make a difference if you are wearing a pack. I find the basic Naismith rule works pretty well, although there are variants you might find more useful. Wikipedia has a good article on these rules of thumb.
  • Last, breaks will quickly bring your overall average speed down more quickly than anything else. If you walk for a two hours at 5kph and take 15 minutes for coffee your average speed has dropped to 4.4kph. Do another two hours walking and take an hour for lunch, and your average is now under 4kph and it will take another hour's walking to just get it back to 4kph. The Camino is not that mechanical, but you get the idea. And this is not counting the short stops to chat, take photos, smell the flowers or just adjust your pack.

All the salient points are covered in the above post

The Rother guides give a very detailed route plan with distances and standard times for each of their stages - on the Camino del Norte, their standard rate averages 3.7 km/hr (with a range for the individual stages between 3.2-4.1 km/hr) - if you are a good walker, travel light (under 5kg), break for 30 mins once a day and say 3 mins per hour then you could average say 4.5-4.8 km/hr over the course of a longish day

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3763348352/?tag=casaivar02-20

Obviously the terrain makes a huge difference in achievable pace. Leaving breaks aside (pretty controllable by you), I found I was able to average 5k/hr (or better) on generally level ground. On much of the Meseta I averaged 5.5k/hr without at all feeling like I was "pushing it." As reference, my pack typically weighed somewhere about 22 lbs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On flat roads, 5 - 5.5 km/hour - uphill, on treacherous rolling pebbles, less than 2 km/hour. Including breaks, but not lunch, for which we take at least an hour, we seem to average around 4, but we may take longer if there's a lof of stuff to see or especially nice co-pilgrims to chat to.

As others have said, there are many factors. But to avoid getting bogged down in the detail, my guidelines for a pleasant unhurried hike with decent size pack (10kg or more) are ( allowing good terrain, bad terrain, bad weather, and accepting short breaks):
- accept "worst case" 2.5km p/hour : this can be useful benchmark if booking accommodation, making plans to meet up, plan final return travel
- be content with 3-4 km/hr : definitely achievable and generally the likely range, and something to be quite content over
- be pleased and feel proud of anything over 4.5-5.0km/hr

This would give a range of 15km p/d for a short walking day of 6 hours, up to 40km p/d for a 10hr day.
They're just guidelines and actual performance then comes down to what is comfortable hours p/d and the other factors.

And 36 days is a reasonable overall time frame

I have had feedback that 50km p/d can be done, and am playing with idea of more, but for most journeys where pace is not the critical, I feel they are realistic guidelines

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A walker whose rate is 4+ kph for 8-10 hours walking will have very different stages from mine. For the French and German areas (not the Camino Frances), my average is 3 kph for 6 hours of walking. Add about two hours' worth of mid-morning, midday, and afternoon breaks and you have an eight hour day.

I just finished my camino in 35 days with a stay in Orisson. I wouldn't over plan too much. I started out slow and built up strength. When I felt bad, I'd take a slower day (less miles). Some days I'd walk 30k, some days 20k....and on a really bad day, 15k. Just listen to your body. For me, every day I was moving forward no matter how I was feeling. The group I started in Orisson with, most of us finished around the same time. Some people took whole rest days in Burgos and Leon. Some had to bus or taxi forward because of overplanning how many kilometers they HAD to cover that day. Some just had a consistant steady pace.

I don't think I really answered the question. There is no reasonable pace. Walk, take breaks often, let your feet breathe whenever you can, and enjoy the experience.

Let your body tell you.....I found my rythym within the first few days, which was about the same as when I was walking at home. You may walk more or less miles depending on the topography and on how you're feeling . Buen Camino

I only walk at 4 kph. But as stated above, what is probably more important is the numbers of walking hour per day and the number and length of breaks.

I tend to walk 8-10 hours including breaks.

But hey, why bother counting!

Just walk , till you want to stop. Or reach your chosen destination.
Hi Robo, you wright about why bother counting.
The thing is that you want to walk a X distance and when you are there you are there. I don't care about the hours I walked so simply is it.
Last year I walked the Camino Frances in 37 day's, that was a average of about 22km a day. I feel comfortable with that.
Wish you all well, Peter.

You should have no problem walking from SJPdP to SDC in 36 days at a nice pace. While it is walking with a backpack on, it is not the same as the wilderness hikes your friend does. So much of the CF is over improved surfaces and quite a bit of it is over flat stretches, or rolling hills. There are a few steep, dodgy spots but they comprise a small percentage of it. Still, you do need to listen to your body and know your limitations. No need to injure a knee or ankle or get a stress fracture.
You will get fitter and stronger as you go. I think I lost on average about 10 kilos of body weight on my CF's. On all three I walked anywhere from 15-30 km everyday and reached SDC from SJPdP around 33-35 days. The distance depended on each particular day. One day it was raining heavy, so at around 15-20 km I called it and stopped in the next town. On a nice day on a flatter stretch I'd walk 30 km.
Once you start your Camino you will see. The pieces all fall together and you know exactly what you want to do each day.
cheers and ultreia

My natural pace was around 5.5km/h on the Camino. It didn't matter if I was in the flat meseta or ascending a hill, covering 30km or 60km it generally always averaged out at around 5.5ish

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are you asking the question to make sure you can finish in 36 days?.

Yes, that is why I asked. I thought that 36 days was reasonable, but I was starting doubt. One reason 36 days is my target is because I would arrive in Santiago on my birthday if it takes 36 days!
I have another question - what time do people usually arrive at the albergues?

Yes, that is why I asked. I thought that 36 days was reasonable, but I was starting doubt. One reason 36 days is my target is because I would arrive in Santiago on my birthday if it takes 36 days!
How lovely! Yes, I think that's very feasible :)

That's more difficult to answer! It depends how far you have to walk and ... how fast you walk :confused: They don't usually open before 1 or 2 pm or thereabout....
Also depends on the weather of course, when it was very hot I used to stop earlier. Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It always seemed like the peak arrival time was between around 1:00-3:00 pm. That is when you would see the bulk of the pilgrims arriving at the albergues. Some towns you arrive at around 12:00 pm, and you would see several pilgrims waiting for the albergue to open at 1:00 pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what time you leave the albergue and how many km. you walk, it's as simple as that.
Wish you well, Peter.

Far better to do it the other way around - set a daily target and it takes as long as it does. I find an average of 20 km per day with a 5 kg back pack sufficient - no blisters or health problems. If you fall behind then hop on a bus or get a taxi, both are easy in Spain

€60,-
I think that I have given myself a pretty realistic time frame to complete the Camino. I will have 6 weeks before I need to get back to Madrid. Just thought that it would be cool to arrive in Santiago on my birthday. :p

Just thought that it would be cool to arrive in Santiago on my birthday. :p
Hey, trecile...wonderful idea! And even if you miss it by a day or two, being there on your birthday is probably pretty special, too (just ask movinmaggie!).
While we can each tell you our pace, yours is the only one that matters--and you'll discover that (and your preferred walking rhythm) as you go.
That said, 36 days seems pretty realistic.

About Albergue arrival times: Earlier in the year (March-April) peak arrival times at albergues tended to be toward mid to late afternoon. Mostly (unless I'm trying to reach a town for some specific reason) I just walk until I feel 'finished' for the day. Which can be anywhere from noon until dusk, depending on how I feel.:)

All good advice, let your body and mind determine your speed, but you will be surprised how slow you will walk the last 100 as you start to realise the end is near so you slow down hoping that it will last a little bit longer and you will want to meet more pilgrims before you finish (this camino as there will be more) in Santiago. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walk 5 Kms per hour until I get to a bar to have my first coffee (that is, if I couldn't have one before leaving that morning). After that, the pace drops and the rest of the day takes its own course.

That sounds lovely! Our first time, we met up with Jesuit priest Rainer who was planning to get to Santiago on his 70th birthday. He did - and was the celebrant at the pilgrim mass in the cathedral that night. Thank you for reminding me about him!

In my case, the most of times, between 16:00 and 19:00 (starting at 7:00-7:30), depending on the hills and the distance. The worst thing was that I just had time to take a shower, wash my clothes and have dinner before going to sleep.

I walked in April which means "few" people and the freedom to choose where to stay at without worrying about booking in advance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whilst walking the Camino with all our film equipment.. Probably around 50KG between the two of us, we averaged around 20/25 KM a day but i don't recommend this at all. Our feet were not in good shape.

When walking the camino portugese with about 20KG(Tent, Sleeping bag, fishing rod, few KGS of porridge, some fruit/other food and water) i'd walk anywhere between 5k a day to 20k depending on how i felt, it was great camping, never had too book anything and could pitch wherever i felt was safe and not worry about anything other than eating..

Hi, Trecile!

I've been out for awhile so this may be too late for your use. Here's how 36 days to Santiago looked for a couple of older gents back in 2014. I would not have called us terribly fit but we did keep our packs under 10 kg, just barely but...

I use Excel to develop trip itineraries to easily access/display pertinent info. If I have time, I then correct the planning document to "Final" and save it. I'll share mine from 2014. (Which was not very different from 2012 when I was younger and fitter.)

The first two pages in this file shows our stages. The third page shows a 7-day moving average of distance walked per day. That moving average "smooths out" daily variation and shows the impact of rest days as well the general improvement in walking efficiency over time.

The bottom line is that, no matter your pace, you will have to knock out close to 24 km per day to reach SdC in 36 days. Expect your pace to be slower at the start and don't be impatient. By Burgos, you should be in good form. It is possible to zoom across the Meseta though we did not.

Bottom line - don't stress about distance per hour, focus on distance per day and accept the reality that you will be slower at the start.

Buen Camino!

B

PS. Apparently I am not able to upload an Excel file here (.xls format). If someone wants the Excel version of this for their own use, I am happy to share.

Attachments

• Camino Stages - B&B- 2014.pdf
    405.2 KB · Views: 34
I really never gave that much thought about the km per hour but if you are reasonable fit and walking alone 36 days including rest days as needed its more then enough, I did in 26 days from SPDP and 33 from Lourdes two years later had a few rest days both times, I did not use albergues that often ( I sleep better that way), I so what I wanted to see after all its not a sightsee tour in my opinion, and did not use alternative transportation in by the way I'm in my 60's and some people past by me like I was standing still :)

Zzotte

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Trecile!

I've been out for awhile so this may be too late for your use. Here's how 36 days to Santiago looked for a couple of older gents back in 2014. I would not have called us terribly fit but we did keep our packs under 10 kg, just barely but...

I use Excel to develop trip itineraries to easily access/display pertinent info. If I have time, I then correct the planning document to "Final" and save it. I'll share mine from 2014. (Which was not very different from 2012 when I was younger and fitter.)

The first two pages in this file shows our stages. The third page shows a 7-day moving average of distance walked per day. That moving average "smooths out" daily variation and shows the impact of rest days as well the general improvement in walking efficiency over time.

The bottom line is that, no matter your pace, you will have to knock out close to 24 km per day to reach SdC in 36 days. Expect your pace to be slower at the start and don't be impatient. By Burgos, you should be in good form. It is possible to zoom across the Meseta though we did not.

Bottom line - don't stress about distance per hour, focus on distance per day and accept the reality that you will be slower at the start.

Buen Camino!

B

PS. Apparently I am not able to upload an Excel file here (.xls format). If someone wants the Excel version of this for their own use, I am happy to share.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm not leaving until mid August, so I have plenty of time to overthink this! :D

I would say that in mixed terrain I average 3km/h, more if it is all flat, less if it is hilly. Buen Camino, SY

We include breaks and walk between 3-4 km per hour. We walk 15-20 km per day which allows us to get into an albergue early, do laundry, take a siesta, walk around town, talk to people, etc. It is only partly about the walking. We stay where we think we will enjoy an afternoon and evening. In the second half of the Camino now and finally meeting people like ourselves who have made time to enjoy the journey rather than focusing on the distances. We are on day 26 with about 22 more days to go.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just back from the camino Finisterre ... writing up my diary and photo album now.
I always reckon on 3 kph.
That gives me time to smell the roses, take a photo, talk to stray dogs, and enjoy a cold beer when I need it.
The camino isn't a race: we need to relax and enjoy it and our camino 'family'.
Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are not backpackers either! But we found we were comfortable walking 4 km per hour. We usually walked about 6 hours per day, and 20 km. We stopped often for rest, drinks and socializing. The whole trip took us 5 1/2 weeks. We cherish the time when we took the time to enjoy the way. My few regrets were that we didn't slow down and hiked too quickly through some places. 3 1/12 weeks we carried our packs. The last two weeks, we sent our gear by taxi. Keeping your pack light is essential for speed, but speed wasn't a very good goal after all. We were grateful to Jacotrans and Correos for their support with managing gear.

It always seemed like the peak arrival time was between around 1:00-3:00 pm. That is when you would see the bulk of the pilgrims arriving at the albergues. Some towns you arrive at around 12:00 pm, and you would see several pilgrims waiting for the albergue to open at 1:00 pm.

Yes it seems the bulk of the pilgrims dont walk in the afternoon. This under the pretext that it is too hot to walk in the afternoon. The real reason however, in my opinion, is fear of not getting a bed for the night or a fear to be on your own. A sort of mass psychosis really. With a good rest, a good lunch and a sun hat you can walk in the afternoon too. And add 10-15 kms of distance in a slower pace with more breaks. A beer at 4? Sure. On those rather lonely afternoons I feel the spirit of the camino much more than in the hustle-bustle the first half of the day.

Yes it seems the bulk of the pilgrims dont walk in the afternoon. This under the pretext that it is too hot to walk in the afternoon. The real reason however, in my opinion, is fear of not getting a bed for the night or a fear to be on your own.

I can only speak for myself but I can assure you that the reason I didn't walk in the afternoon was because of the heat. I walked the CF in 2012 and 2013 and there was no lack of beds at any time. (Well if there was, I wasn't aware of it).
On day 2 we decided to stop by the river just before Zubiri, for a piquenique and a rest, to wait for the heat to subside before continuing. It didn't happen, at 3 or 4 pm when we finally carried on on our way to Larrasoaña it felt even hotter! That was my last attempt at walking in the afternoon. :)
PS: I walked from mid-July to mid-August both times.

Oh and I forget: only once did I walk past 3 pm on the VdlP last year, we misjudged the distance and found it a BAD mistake, not to be repeated.
Again, there was no bed race then, sometimes we were the only pilgrims in the albergues. But boy was it hot!

Maybe I have been lucky not to encounter any extreme heat when I have walked the CF in July in 2013 and 2015. The air in northern Spain is dry and resembles the air in northern Europe. This makes the heat easier to cope with in my opinion. It feels like a good hot german or scandinavian summer day. I agree with you about the bed races. In July 2015 the albergues were rather empty, except for the last 100 kms. Why this is I really dont know. Anyone have an opinion? A clear difference from 2013 when there were much more pilgrims out. And you could see pilgrims waiting in line at albergues at 12-1 PM.

Maybe I have been lucky not to encounter any extreme heat when I have walked the CF in July in 2013 and 2015. The air in northern Spain is dry and resembles the air in northern Europe. This makes the heat easier to cope with in my opinion. It feels like a good hot german or scandinavian summer day. I agree with you about the bed races. In July 2015 the albergues were rather empty, except for the last 100 kms. Why this is I really dont know. Anyone have an opinion? A clear difference from 2013 when there were much more pilgrims out. And you could see pilgrims waiting in line at albergues at 12-1 PM.
Yeah, I agree. I never encountered any weather on the CF (June-September) that was too hot or what I would consider extreme. Warm and dry? Yeah, sure, but not extreme. Still, hot enough to knock you on your arse if you don't hydrate, which I would guess is the main reason for medical issues. Hydration, not heat.
I agree. From observations on three Caminos I think that it is fear of no bed that drives pilgrims to very early wake-ups and stopping in towns before 2:00 pm. In fact I heard many pilgrims say that is why they do it.

So what do you think is a reasonable pace for walking the Camino? I'm hoping to reach Santiago from SJPDP in 36 days or less, including a stay at Orisson.[/QUOTE]

Here are some statistics about my walk which reveal a walking speed of 3.66 km in the hour (which includes stops / visits within the walking period) and is over the whole distance. You will note that from St Jean Pied de Port it took 33 days.

Distance walked: Le Puy - Santiago 1553 km
Santiago - Cabo do Finisterre 96 km

Time taken: Total since departure to Santiago 86 days 44 in France, 35 in Spain
Actual days walking to Santiago 69 days 35 in France, 33 in Spain
Actual days walking Santiago -Finisterre 3 days
Day in Santiago 1 day
Total since departure 86 days

Average per day: Distance 22.9 km/day
Time (incl stops / visits) 6 h 14 min /day

Weather: Days on which it rained 22
Temperature range 0 – 30ºC

Gites / albergues visited 33 in France, 26 in Spain = 59

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Open your heart and Just walk. You will be led to a pace.

I am a fast walker. I pass most people and few pass me. I am on the Camino right now and carry about 10 kgs in my pack. I walk at 5 kms per hour (3.1 mph). Your normal walking speed of 4 mph is unrealistic IMO, but whatever speed you walk at remember that you are in it for the long haul so less is more. Aidan.

I am a fast walker. I pass most people and few pass me. I am on the Camino right now and carry about 10 kgs in my pack. I walk at 5 kms per hour (3.1 mph). Your normal walking speed of 4 mph is unrealistic IMO, but whatever speed you walk at remember that you are in it for the long haul so less is more. Aidan.
I totally agree that I won't be walking at 4 mph carrying a backpack. I just mentioned it because my natural pace is fairly quick. I just wanted to know what would be realistic carrying a backpack for hours.

Once again Trecile, in my opinion, 3 mph is fast, 2.5 is closer to the average and some folks just take their time at about 2 mph. Their is no 'right' answer, other than the speed your body is comfortable with. Feeling good is much better than being either quick or slow. Aidan.

My pace doesn't dictate my speed or amount of ground covered nearly as much as the number and length of "breaks". There is something about those little outdoor tables that call me to stop and have a cup of coffee or a bottle of coke. I seldom pass one without stopping, except in a larger town where they are numerous. Each evening I set a tentative distance to walk the following day. Sometimes I stop sooner and sometimes go further, but mostly I walk until I reach my "goal" for that day.

I often wonder why I am a very slow walker. People who are much older than me seems to walk pass me, even some who are heavier seems to walk lot faster. On a flat surface I can do 3-4 km/hr. Considerably slower if I go uphill or downhill. When i hear people behind me, I usually stop and look at the scenery so that I don't feel inferior walker as someone passes me over. This whole thread makes me feel even worse. My god, some of you with 5-6 km/hr. That is like running pace for me. Am i walking right? Or my body is just put together very inefficiently.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I averaged 4km/hr, 15-25 km per day. I started about 7 each morning, took breaks, and stopped around 2 in the afternoon. I liked having time to relax, socialize, etc. And some days, I just wanted to get out of the rain.

I often wonder why I am a very slow walker. People who are much older than me seems to walk pass me, even some who are heavier seems to walk lot faster. On a flat surface I can do 3-4 km/hr. Considerably slower if I go uphill or downhill. When i hear people behind me, I usually stop and look at the scenery so that I don't feel inferior walker as someone passes me over. This whole thread makes me feel even worse. My god, some of you with 5-6 km/hr. That is like running pace for me. Am i walking right? Or my body is just put together very inefficiently.
Of course you are walking right! A walking pace is a very individual thing. I have actually been trying to slow down my pace on my training walks, though when you walk the same route over and over you kind of just want to hurry through it. :) I am thankful for my smartphone and podcasts!
I have found that walking at a pace that is too slow or too fast for me can be somewhat uncomfortable. Though good company can make up for any discomfort. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I see this is an old thread, and I haven’t gone back to read all the replies. Maybe @trecile will find it interesting, since she is now an experienced camino addict.

But I will say that IMO your walking pace has nothing to do with “smelling the roses.” Your pace has to do with what your body feels good doing, and those roses can be smelled at any walking pace at all.

Haha that's a very good point. I would disagree that it has "nothing" to do with it as, at least personally I enjoy hiking to get away from the city, but I can see how you feel that way. Also, sometimes you might be feeling energetic, but you always have to be courteous to your friends if hiking with a group.

I see this is an old thread, and I haven’t gone back to read all the replies. Maybe @trecile will find it interesting, since she is now an experienced camino addict.

But I will say that IMO your walking pace has nothing to do with “smelling the roses.” Your pace has to do with what your body feels good doing, and those roses can be smelled at any walking pace at all.
It's so interesting to read what I posted before my first Camino about walking pace!

I love what you said about your pace being what your body feels good doing. After four Caminos, I have found that my pace is pretty consistently about 5 km/hour, unless there are a lot of really big hills.

Old thread I know, and trecile hardly needs this at all now, but ...

There are two paces to consider -- Km/H and Km/Day

The latter is the more important of the two, as that's the one that determines how many days your Camino will need.

But as to the specific question, and as regards experience from my own pace, it has varied over time and through ageing between 6 KmH and 2 KmH.

2 KmH is SLOW ; 6 KmH is FAST

The more typical paces are 3 to 5 KmH ; 3 being slow, 4 average, 5 fast -- and I'd say that 3 KmH is the minimum you should aim for in order to reach the sort of 20-25 Km/Day average pace that's typical among pilgrims.

The friends that you'll make on the Camino BTW will typically be those with roughly the same Km/Day pace as yours, not Km/H --- maybe you'll be lucky (and it's not uncommon at all) to find someone who you can genuinely put up with and get along with and have fun with and who also has the same Km/H and same Km/Day as yours ; those rare characters become our Compañeros or Compañeras on our Caminos. But maybe not, and maybe you'll walk alone, and just meet your friends at day's end as is the most common. These people are often called a "Camino family".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The more typical paces are 3 to 5 KmH ; 3 being slow, 4 average, 5 fast -- and I'd say that 3 KmH is the minimum you should aim for in order to reach the sort of 20-25 Km/Day average pace that's typical among pilgrims.

I've been below average in most things in my life.
Glad to see I'm not breaking old habits! 😛
3.5 kph............is my usual speed (average over the day including breaks)
4 kph whilst actually moving.......

My comfortable walking pace is at the fast end of the scale, somewhere around 6km per hour, but I carry a camera and stop to make photos, as @lt56ny will attest, so that holds back how much ground I cover in a day.

There are two paces to consider -- Km/H and Km/Day

An Excellent and often overlooked point. Also, people should factor in rest time to their Km/Day rate. Walking fast with long breaks may not get you there any faster, but it may be what works best for you. Some people will grab food and eat on the road while others will sit for an hour or more and enjoy a few beers. There is no wrong answer, but knowing your pace will help your planning.

Seems like an old thread revived, but still a great topic:
If you are well on your way and after some days you feel good and start to walk fast because you're feeling it ... then slow down, this is when injuries occur. Sooner or later you fall into your own sustainable pace, that's where you belong.

You will do fine just remember to slow down & smell the country & listen for the cookoo birds.

Let your body determine the pace.
Buen Camino
OMGosh i totally forgot about all the cookoo birds! Thanks for the memory😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back