• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WhatsApp Question

brambles

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Inca (2018)
Camino Frances (June/July 2019)
Camino Portugues (June/July 2020)
I have tried looking online, but I am still confused. I am used to using WhatApp with people already in my contacts list, but what if I want to contact say, an albergue using WhatsApp and do not want to create a new contact for them?
Also, when I have been in other countries I was surprised that people contacted me through WhatsApp when I had not given them my WhatsApp number. How did they search for my contact info? I would like to be able to do this also.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My understanding of Wotsup is that is an encrypted network that allows people who wish to communicate with each other to communicate. Thats why you set up and join Wotsup groups.

I am as surprised as you that people who are not a member of any Wotsup group that you are a member of can contact you via Wotsup other than to invite you to join their group which means, presumably, that they are already a member of a Wotsup group that you are a member of or they have access to the communication device of someone who has your contact details on their device or you have already shared your contact details with them by perhaps not opting out when you shared your personal contact details with an airline, hotel, transport provider etc etc...

Meanwhile, most Albergues have published 'phone numbers and Hospis and volunteers who will answer the 'phone. It is a really efficient means of communication and you don't even have to join anything ;)

WhatsApp is just a wifi/data-based messaging service. All someone needs is your mobile number to check whether you're registered on WhatsApp, and then they can use the app to contact you (which lots of people prefer to do, as it saves them spending credit on a text message). And once they've contacted you, they'll be on your contact list. If you want to kick them off the list, you'll have to block them. Here's how.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When you contact someone new using a smart phone their info automatically goes into your smart phone and if that contact goes into your phone your Whatsap app will automatically enter them into your Whatsapp contacts if they are Whatsapp connected - is how the app works.
so - if you want to contact anyone, such as refugios and they are Whatsapp connected they will appear.

The way to avoid this is

1) don't phone refugios, just turn up in a town or village at the point that you get tired and find somewhere to stay,

or 2) find a phone box and use that landline - .

there is a 3) - get rid of WhatsApp from your phone.

or even better - 4) get rid of your smartphone and go back to a dumb phone that just makes and takes calls and texts - a pal of mine has an old Nokia that only does that and his life is so simple and he is so happy! (I might get him a smartphone for his birthday, why shouldn't he suffer like us :) )

Buen Camino ;)

Last edited:
4) Disable caller ID on your phone

You can only use WhatsApp to contact an albergue if they use a smartphone with WhatsApp installed on it. This is not always the case.
I use the Viber app to make low cost calls using Viber credits to landlines and phones without WhatsApp, Viber, Facebook messenger, etc.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I actually didn't mind that they contacted me. In fact, each time it was quite useful, but just surprising. At some point I must have given them my phone number when I thought we had only emailed. I just talked to a friend who uses whatsapp a lot more than I do and she said that yes, I must create a contact. It's not a big deal but I do wish it were more like simple texting where you just type in a number and send the text. With Whatsapp you have to type in a name, number and then the text (if new contact). At least now I know to do this. I am, however, often confused by country codes etc. :)

I have tried looking online, but I am still confused. I am used to using WhatApp with people already in my contacts list, but what if I want to contact say, an albergue using WhatsApp and do not want to create a new contact for them?
Also, when I have been in other countries I was surprised that people contacted me through WhatsApp when I had not given them my WhatsApp number. How did they search for my contact info? I would like to be able to do this also.
There is a way to check to see who else on your contact list uses Whatsapp. My husband is on the Norte now, and we talk by phone most days using this app.

My understanding is that if someone already uses WhatsApp, another person can just enter that person' number to reach via WhatsApp. The most, if not all, of the published alburgue numbers are landlines so WhatsApp or texting is not possible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have one contact named albergue. I just edit the number from town to town as I am unlikely to call them back after moving down the road.

One of the config options in Whatsapp is “upload my contact list”. Whatsapp suggests this so you will know who is calling you. But it also gives them all your contacts, notes, birthdays etc. As Whatsapp is a Facebook company, this is equivalent to providing that info to Facebook. If you don’t mind doing that, fine. I don’t (upload my contact list). Same comment for (facebook) Messenger.

Last edited:
My feeling is that the camino albergues (the private ones, the only that accept reservations) are decidely a low tech business. It would be interesting to know if they start to accept whatsup as mean of communication -but I doubt it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My feeling is that the camino albergues (the private ones, the only that accept reservations) are decidely a low tech business. It would be interesting to know if they start to accept whatsup as mean of communication -but I doubt it.

My experience this year was the opposite. I used WhatsApp to make 90% of my reservations on the Vasco, Olvidado and Invierno. Even in places that only list a land line number (I am thinking of O Pillabán in A Rúa and Torre Vilariño, both on the Invierno), when I asked them about whether they would like me to put cell phone numbers in the Invierno guide so people could WhatsApp them, they enthusiastically said yes. I think that many peregrinos are a bit intimidated about talking in Spanish on the phone, so WhatsApp is perfect. It also gives you a record in case of any confusion.

Hello I wasn't sure where to post this and this seemed the best option. I need help getting in touch with albergues using WhatsApp. I've tried several times to different hostels and not getting through. So I know to use the + sign, then do I use the 34 for Spain, then the cell phone number? That's what I've tried so far. I'll be leaving in 2 weeks and want to firm up my accommodation for the 2 weeks around Easter. I had booked mostly with booking.com but would really like to change some accomodation to local albergues. I'm totally tech challenged. Any help greatly appreciated!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If it's not a mobile number or they don't have WhatsApp you won't be able to contact them that way.
I've read here that in Spain mobile numbers start with a 6 or 7 (after +34) Hopefully someone can confirm this.

What I do is add them as a contact, then when I go into WhatsApp they show up if they use WhatsApp.

I've read here that in Spain mobile numbers start with a 6 or 7 (after +34) Hopefully someone can confirm this.
I looked this up, and found on Wikipedia:

Mobile phones​

Mobile phone numbers begin with 6 or 7, followed by 8 digits (6xx xxx xxx or 7yx xxx xxx), where y can be 1 to 9, not 0 (zero). Note, numbers starting with 70 are personal numbers which can be re-directed to any other number by the personal owner. Since the blocks of mobile phone numbers are allocated according to demand from the service providers, there is not necessarily a unique service provider indicated by the three digit numbering group (6xx or 7yx).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I looked this up, and found on Wikipedia:
Thank you ... I think the ones I was texting via WhatsApp must not subscribe to the app. I'm walking VDLP and trying to get the albergues but booked via booking.com to make sure I had a place to stay during the Easter season.

Last edited:
If it's not a mobile number or they don't have WhatsApp you won't be able to contact them that way.

What I do is add them as a contact, then when I go into WhatsApp they show up if they use WhatsApp.
Thank you. I will try a few others and hopefully will be able to get through to some of the albergues.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.