• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wheat allergy: alternative carbs to bread?

MStypula

I have a non-life threatening (however very uncomfortable) food allergy which prohibits me from consuming food containing wheat. It seems as though one of the most prevalent sources of carbohydrates along the camino is bread, which is one of foods I need to steer clear from (unless it is gluten free, however I get the feeling that Spain is not as exposed to the gluten free allergy that is seeming taking over in the states!). Is it possible to find other good carbohydrate sources (like rice) along the way? Is bread the staple of a pilgrim diet? If at all possible I would like to stick to my strict wheat-free diet, but if it is an emergency I will chomp down on some bread. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also have an allergic reaction to wheat. When I eat wheat in the United States, my joints swell up and ache like heck and if I eat too much, I can barely function.

What is interesting is that I do NOT have that reaction in Spain.

I suspect it is because the wheat in the US is not only genetically modified, it has been sprayed with bromine and I have a horrid reaction to the bromine (rather than the wheat).

Each time I go on Camino, I enjoy all the bread with no ill effects, so I'd say at least give it a try if you can lay your fear aside for a day.

If you plan on cooking for yourself, you can find plenty of bagged rice. And restaurants will have rice, although not usually on a pilgrim's platter. But there's plenty of meat and potatoes and other vegetables so you should be fine.

En los supermercado hay mucha comida sin gluten que además está marcada. No creo que tengas problemas. Puede ser que en algún pueblo muy pequeño no la encuentres, pero lo dudo.

In the supermarket there are many gluten-free food which is marked. I do not think you have problems. Maybe in some small town not find it, but I doubt it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you kindly for both replies. I will have to think about testing my allergy with products in Spain, but I will definitely remain open to that option!
Also, good to know that many stores offer GF options, I wasn't sure what to expect on that front.
Cheers!

MStypula said:
Is it possible to find other good carbohydrate sources (like rice) along the way? Is bread the staple of a pilgrim diet? Cheers!
Hi Merril

You've just made me realise how little paella I saw along the Camino. I know it's more associated with the Valencia region, but I've had it elsewhere as well. However I'm sure you'll find dishes like that as part of a menu del dia if you look hard enough. Spaghetti is extremely common as part of a pilgrim menu, but it's wheat based as well isn't it?

Bread is obviously a cheap and easy lunch for pilgrims but there are plenty of alternatives. Spanish omlette would be a classic. If you're unsure about where you'll be able to grab some lunch or want to have a picnic you might be able to get a slice of omlette to take away from the bar you have breakfast in.

You'll also be given tapas in bars that are based on bread. One challenge you might face is not wanting to offend the bar tender by not eating it. I don't know if you speak Spanish, but if you know a short expression to explain why you can't eat it they might bring you some olives or something instead. My suggestion as a poor Spanish speaker would be 'No gracias. Es que no puedo comer el pan' while patting your stomach! :D

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Tyrrek:
Thank you for taking the time to write your helpful reply. Luckily I speak "passable" conversational Spanish and I have figured out a few ways to say I have a wheat allergy, so as not to offend anyone! Believe me, that was something that crossed my mind more recently. To me, the camino should be filled with thanks and kindness, and I certainly do not want to put anyone off by refusing a meal! As many things seem with the camino, I will take it one day at a time and hopefully I will be able to manage. If not, it will be more of an adventure than I initially planned on!
Thanks again.
Best,
Merril

Angulero!

(I will try this in Spanish, sorry in advance because I know I am VERY rusty! It is about time I start studying my spanish skills again!)

Muchas Gracias! No pense que sobre haciendo una lista de palabras en Espanol sobre una alergia de trigo. Voy a hacer una lista de las palabras a tener durante el camino.

Salud
Merril

Hola.
We too have a problem with bread (and cakes) in the UK but like Annie not in Spain. We actually have a problem with the diphosphates (E450) which are put in so many foods in the UK.
On the Camino we found the bread/pasta/croissants etc from Panaderias were fine. I tried very carefully at first, and also if buying in the supermarket checked the labels.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
MStypula said:
I will take it one day at a time and hopefully I will be able to manage.
Hi again Merril. You've obviously got the sense of the Camino before even starting, in my opinion. We always hear worries about the distance, but it's not about distance. You can only ever live in one day, getting and giving what is necessary. Live each day and on one of those days you'll arrive in Santiago. It took me two Caminos to understand that. Doh! :oops:

Buen Camino!

ps. Sorry to the moderators - I've drifted off-topic.

I once asked a hotel for anything more than bread for breakfast. They gave me five pork chops.

MStypula said:
I have a non-life threatening (however very uncomfortable) food allergy which prohibits me from consuming food containing wheat. It seems as though one of the most prevalent sources of carbohydrates along the camino is bread, which is one of foods I need to steer clear from (unless it is gluten free, however I get the feeling that Spain is not as exposed to the gluten free allergy that is seeming taking over in the states!). Is it possible to find other good carbohydrate sources (like rice) along the way? Is bread the staple of a pilgrim diet? If at all possible I would like to stick to my strict wheat-free diet, but if it is an emergency I will chomp down on some bread. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

Poor you Merril,

Warning if you look @ this page you could in trouble & have to go out & search for the ingredients:
http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2009/12/ar ... nish-rice/
& they seemed to have left some white wine out too, guess you couls scrounge that from a fellow
images

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site as of this evening and I am planning my journey Aug/Sept this year. If my question is duplicate, I apologize. I am gluten, dairy intolerant and a vegetarian. Can anyone make recommendations to me?

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

Buen Camino
Wendy

Hola Wendy and welcome. I would suggest that you look for 'Ensalada mixta' and Tortilla española' on the menus. The salad is usually lettuce, tomato, boiled egg and tuna. The tortilla (omlette) is egg, onion and potato. I do not think that they thin the mix with milk or anything, but you can check it is 'sin leche'. There is plenty of fruit easily available and many places will serve fish. Can you eat goats' cheese? (Queso de cabra) as many folk who are intolerant to cows' milk find that OK.
Buen camino

It's true that wheat is definitely common on the camino. On the point of some people having a much stronger reaction to wheat in North American than in Europe: I have read that North American wheat has been modified to the point where it has 5 times more gluten than European wheat. That is likely why some people can tolerate wheat in Spain but can't in the US.
But a reminder that many albergues have cooking facilities. Rice and lentils are available everywhere along with fresh vegetables and fruit. There's lots of cheese for those who are not dairy intolerant as well as nuts and dried fruit to carry for snacks. You will see a lot of chocolate available and consumed as well.
It's definitely a little more difficult to eat out for vegetarians and those with wheat and dairy intolerances than it is for others but that's probably true at home as well. One note to vegetarians: lentils purchased in restaurants have usually been cooked in a meat (pork) base. I think you'll make out fine though in spite of Spanish meals leaning heavily on wheat, meat and dairy.
Buen camino everybody.
Cecelia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Merril,
Before my second camino, I was diagnosed as Coeliac. That was an interesting journey but I never starved! I lived on eggs ( omlette, frittata, fried etc), fruit and salad. Breakfast was the most difficult meal if no one was available in the bars to cook eggs as coffee and croissants were the main menu items. Supermacados often have rice cakes ( some with chocolate on the base!), rice desserts and sometimes in larger towns, a gluten free section.The hot potato chips served with meals must not have been coated in flour as ours are here because I never had a reaction to them. I carried a special card saying that I couldn't eat gluten - sometimes the restaurant/ bar staff just shrugged their shoulders and walked away, but more often they went out of their way to provide something for me to eat. For my Camino this year I will carry a small bag of rice for emergencies in albergues. Buen Camino :D

I am also allergic to wheat. While some people find they can tolerate the bread in Spain, I could not. I found many gluten-free options on the menus. The challenge was finding something to eat for breakfast. I walked many days without any carbs, until dinner. I brought some gluten-free bread and cereal with me. They lasted the first week. While grocery stores often had gluten-free products, they were usually cookies and crackers; nothing with much nutrition. Gluten-free bread was not available in most grocery stores. When you find it, I suggest you buy as much as you can reasonably carry, because it might be a while until you find it again.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.