• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wheels or not

Vovo

Time of past OR future Camino
future 2019
All I can offer is thanks to the forum for replying to endless questions and here is yet another one to do with ability, backpacks, age and tactics. Would it be possible to push (or pull) a device with wheels to carry lightweight belongings on the CF? It seems for me it is the difference between pilgrimage or not. At this stage I am avoiding professional designed carts or luggage transport and am looking at a baby's cross country pram/stroller or even pulling a two wheel shopping trolley! I can imagine some unwieldy situations arising.
Anyway, are there any less conventional pilgrims who may already know about using 'wheels' on rough narrow tracks? It is not without effort of a different type.
Also, when one is ok about using some public transport without abusing the inexpensive alburgues at those times, is it giving too much away to please fill me in, as to whether one would be barred from the alburgues if one had failed to get stamped at any successive points? Its all pragmatic.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I saw people with a child's stroller so Im guessing its very possible. Watch the documentary The Camino - 6 ways to Santiago. One of the women featured in that had a small child in a stroller.
On the difficult parts , there are a few - rocky and steep, I guess you could take the road although you may have to share with traffic which would be dangerous.
Most of the time the paths are gravel, and are easy to walk on.

Its definitely doable - I saw a guy with a harness pulling a cart last year. That said I'd have thought that better options are to use a backpack and if that's not physically possible, to use a bag transfer service.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Take a look at the BENPACKER and MONOWALKER.

Single wheel so should be easier on narrow, rocky paths. Saw something similar in SdC this year, didn't look too heavy.

*edit: having said that just took a look at the cost of a Monowalker - ouch!

Last edited:
I saw someone pushing a pram full of his kit up the Alto del Perdón last summer. It's possible, but looked like very hard work in the heat! I'm also not sure how he would have manages on the steep and rocky downhill section coming down from the summit.

On the other hand there are long stretches of the CF with are well graded with good trails where it would be much easier to push/pull something with wheels.

Single wheel so should be easier on narrow, rocky paths. Saw something similar in SdC this year, didn't look too heavy.

@David should chime in here as the trailer expert........
2 wheels are best according to him.
It's all about weight distribution.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Its definitely doable - I saw a guy with a harness pulling a cart last year. That said I'd have thought that better options are to use a backpack and if that's not physically possible, to use a bag transfer service.
I agree about the backpack transfer service.

During my work as a hospitalero in Roncesvalles I regularly see people carrying children in strollers, people with their luggage in different kinds of wheel-carriages or disabled people in a wheelchair. Most of the time they have problems with the wheels after the steep descent from Col Lepoeder. We always try to help them using tools from our toolbox or even fixing it with duct tape or tie wraps ..... But sometimes the damage is too big, and then we have to advise people to taxi on to Burguete or even to Pamplona for professional help.

I think walking a Camino with whatever sort of wheelcarriage is only possible if you take the bikers track, which means lots of road walking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Here's a thread on the subject of hiking trailers:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...g-pack-loads-over-distance.48162/#post-520319

and another one on the same subject

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ed-with-a-hip-belt-trailer.48595/#post-631956

You may be interested in the design by El Condor, he modified a child's pram. And he left in April for the Via de La pLata, so he is probably back by now to tell us how it all worked out...

Reply: Am considering all the great replies that cover what i'm after - very steep ups and downs, rocky paths were unexpected tho no way xtreme i suspect; interestingly designed carts as well.
Perhaps some repair work could be done on the paths by local tourism considering the number of visitors.
I have replied before this but must have submitted incorrectly. I imagine what it is to travel very light with backpack even so it would still cause some problems.
One backpack is smaller and sits and is supported on waist and hip level which might be an idea tho think all backpacks are supported by the hips plus shoulder bits. ..regards

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.