• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When a pilgrim from the United States is sick on the camino

Susan04046

Time of past OR future Camino
April may 2013
My husband and I both contacted acute bronchitis also called the camino cough. Our first stop was the Centro de Salud in Estella While we have travel insurance it only covers accidents and not illness. Staff members at the Centro explained we would have to pay first but since they did not accept cash we would need to go to the bank for a Cuenta We waited for the bank to open and handed over our 99,17 euros for one person (this may have been less because we are seniors, originally I recall 117). Back to the Centro where we were assigned a kind and competent doctor. We had packed the white sheets from CVS describing our medication and these were well received. The prescription costs at the pharmacia were less than 10€, cheap by US standards. Visited the Centro de Salud again in Najera. This time there wa no charge as The previous receipt was saved. Again the doctor was kind and Intelligent and this time spoke English. The staff will ask for your passport and the doctor will ask for allergies
Hope this post is helpful. Please excuse any errors as it was painfully typed on my iPhone 5.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To me, medical care in Spain is so much more affordable and civilized. That has been my experience. To be able to walk into a pharmacy and have a minor problem diagnosed and treated without waiting for 3 hours and paying a huge first visit fee is incredible.

This was my experience on the camino this spring as well. I had ear/throat pain coming into in Hospital de Orbega and the lovely pharmacist there diagnosed me with an ear infection on the spot and gave me amoxicillin. I'm under the impression that Spanish pharmacists are actual doctors and can prescribe meds, but either way, her sensitivity and helpfulness made a huge difference.

Noteworthy: I too got a terrible cough on the Camino this spring. Keep your health up, stay dry, and take an immune booster. Most of all, bring soap into the restrooms with you so you can wash your hands well. Getting sick on the Camino sucks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back