• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD When an airline cancels your flight and refuses refund

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfairclough

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo planned for 2020
Hello everyone
I'm just curious if anyone bumped into the situation where your airline cancelled your flight to get to Spain and refused the refund? I had a flight on June 28 to Madrid via Lisbon and a return on the 20th of July. Was not surprised that TAP Portugal cancelled my flights but was dismayed to hear they don't issue refunds and only gave me a credit until Oct. 30, 2020 - which will not work for me to travel because of my job schedule. I have thoughts on how to see if I can get my money back but wondering if anyone else experienced this and if they have any advice. I know being out $700 will not change mylife but it would be nice. Thanks all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Check this site. It's ADR - the formal consumer dispute resolution system for airlines. TAP will be covered

https://www.aviationadr.eu/

There is a pre-ADR list of things to do. If you still are not happy after 8 weeks then you can use the system. There may be a local, Portuguese, reason for not following the normal refund rules. For example, I had a ferry booking and the local Greek laws were changed to make the credit compulsory but a refund if the credit was not used after 18 months. There may be something similar but the ADR is there to clarify the issues.

Hello everyone
I'm just curious if anyone bumped into the situation where your airline cancelled your flight to get to Spain and refused the refund? I had a flight on June 28 to Madrid via Lisbon and a return on the 20th of July. Was not surprised that TAP Portugal cancelled my flights but was dismayed to hear they don't issue refunds and only gave me a credit until Oct. 30, 2020 - which will not work for me to travel because of my job schedule. I have thoughts on how to see if I can get my money back but wondering if anyone else experienced this and if they have any advice. I know being out $700 will not change mylife but it would be nice. Thanks all.
Every one of the airlines that I was using (Westjet, Air Canada, Aer Lingus, Vueling) cancelled my flights, and at first said that my only options were to change my date of travel or to receive a "credit". I found that by phoning and insisting on a refund, as is my right, I have been able to get a guarantee of a refund from all of them. Granted, I am still waiting for the Aer Lingus refund to be put into my credit card account as they indicated that it would take up to 8 weeks. Unfortunately it seems that all the airlines are playing a game of "chicken" with us - who will blink first? If they make it difficult, and time-consuming, they may get people to agree to a credit rather than a refund.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone
If you have already accepted the credit I don't know it it's too late to insist on a refund.

I had to make six phone calls over almost a two month period to get my refunds from Expedia and Orbitz. It was rewarding to finally see the amounts posted back to my credit card....a long and grueling process as I was often on hold for over an hour, but it finally worked out as I refused the vouchers and credits they kept offering.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone

Hello fellow Camino . I booked for my wife and her2 sisters Air Portugal some $900 and have had the same redponse as you . Three other airlines are refunding money to me but not Air Portugal . Im in Australia and will now phone them direct insistingon a refund as it appesrs we wont be able to travel to 2031 . At this time the best they offer is a credit till late 2020 which is unacceptable . Can you also make a call to them ...regards Garry from Newcastle.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello fellow Camino . I booked for my wife and her2 sisters Air Portugal some $900 and have had the same redponse as you . Three other airlines are refunding money to me but not Air Portugal . Im in Australia and will now phone them direct insistingon a refund as it appesrs we wont be able to travel to 2031 . At this time the best they offer is a credit till late 2020 which is unacceptable . Can you also make a call to them ...regards Garry from Newcastle. Sorry that should read 2021 nor 31.
S

Hello everyone
Have you tried disputing the charge with your credit card company? Reason for dispute is services not received. Insist on the need for a monetary credit and not a flight credit.

What airlines are doing is against the law. Here is a copy of the EU regulations and also what Ryanair is sending out, and they must rate as the stickiest of airlines! Tell them legal action will follow which will be more expensive. (I am still fighting with Vueling for a refund of 5 tickets at end of June)

Dear Customer,
We sincerely regret to advise you that due to the impact of COVID-19, Ryanair has been forced to cancel your flight(s) FR8378 from London (Stansted) to Santiago Comp. on 21May20. Please advise any other customers who may be travelling in your party.
We are notifying customers today to inform you that you can choose between a full refund of the cost of your ticket, or the option of re-routing as well as reasonable care (as detailed below).

1. Apply for a refund
If you wish to cancel your reservation and claim a full refund of the unused flight(s) click https://schdchng.ryanair.com//Refund?i=4008BB317H00248679-FR8378K5JD05STNSCQG15-FR837916J030SCQSTNA356MLGTABC&lg=en&p=2 and enter your booking details. Refunds will be processed within 20 working days back to the form of payment used for the original booking.
2. Change your cancelled flight (for free)
You have the right to re-routing to your final destination, under comparable transport conditions, either at the earliest opportunity or at a later date at your convenience subject to seats being available.
If you wish to avail of re-routing on another Ryanair flight to the same or an alternative destination airport on the same day or an alternative date (before or after your scheduled departure date), please contact our Customer Care Team (subject to opening hours) or go to the airport ticket desk. Our Customer Care Team can also assist if you require other re-routing options, such as earlier re-routing on an alternative airline, train, bus or car hire.
If you avail of re-routing at the earliest opportunity, you will be entitled to (and where applicable provided with) reasonable meals and refreshments, hotel accommodation, transport between the airport and your place of accommodation (hotel or other) as well as transport to or from an alternative airport, as applicable.
If care is nevertheless not offered even though it should have been, please keep all itemised receipts for reasonable expenses you may incur, as you will need to submit these to Ryanair to claim back your expenses.
Please find attached a full text of your rights under EU Regulation 261/2004.
For more information on Flight Cancellations or Delays, please click here.
We again sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Yours sincerely,
Ryanair Customer Service

Attachments

• EU261 14 2 Notice.pdf
    208.3 KB · Views: 7
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone
I contacted the credit card company and filed a dispute for services not received. Received a credit a few days ago for the full cost of my TAP Portugal flight.

What airlines are doing is against the law. Here is a copy of the EU regulations
A number of EU countries have passed their own national legislation about the question of Covid-19 related refunds and travel vouchers in place of refunds. It is a disputed and well known issue at the moment.

I guess that these airlines and other travel operators put their faith in their national legislation and not in a EU Regulation 261/2004 as the situation is so exceptional and even threatening for their very existence in a number of cases. We have yet to see how many of our airlines with be flying in a few months time or have gone bankrupt.

I've just buckled and switched from a cash refund to a voucher for Easyjet. The refund request was made nearly 2 months ago and never came. The voucher arrived within 1 minute of switching from the cash refund.

Now going to book my flight to Lisbon.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've just buckled and switched from a cash refund to a voucher for Easyjet. The refund request was made nearly 2 months ago and never came. The voucher arrived within 1 minute of switching from the cash refund.

Now going to book my flight to Lisbon.

I got a refund from EasyJet after cancelled flight. It probably took around 5 or 6 weeks after requesting it. I’m still awaiting refund for another flight but it was only requested about 4 weeks ago so not worried.

Here's a positive experience I just had with American Airlines. My wife and I purchased air tickets round trip Indianaolis - Madrid with departure mid-Sept and return late October. Based on lots of helpful advice from this forum I plan to wait until late August and I expect American to cancel the flight due to travel restrictions and at that point I will receive a full refund.

By coincidence, I also purchased round trip airfare from Indianapolis to Billings, Montana in August to visit my brother. I purchased the tickets through Expedia so looked into their COVID-19 refund policy. I was told that refunds will not be made, but I would receive a voucher. Then I learned the voucher was only available for 9 months - so I'd have to travel to Montana before February, 2021. Not much help! So I checked with American Airlines on line. I was informed I could apply for a voucher and this would be valid until the end of December, 2021. Much better than Expedia! Then I saw a notice on their website that I could apply for a full refund. The voucher had already been approved, so I thought I would be ineligible. I applied anyway. To my surprise, I received an email saying that I was approved for full reimbursement - and a credit will be applied to my credit card. Great news !

Since I got a full refund on a flight that had not been cancelled, I am optimistic that American will follow the same approach on our round trip to Spain. That said, I'll not initiate action now; I'll wait until late August / early September, then seek a refund then.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I still have air tickets leaving the US on Sept 14, so just one month away. I received notice of a change to our flight so traded messages with their on line help service. There was a minor time change to one of the flights. I asked if the flight was still valid since it originates in the US and flies to Madrid. I was told the flight has not been cancelled. I said I was skeptical since Spain is not allowing US citizens to enter their country. The agent told me that there are cases in which a Spanish citizen that has a US green card can still enter the country. Does not make sense to me. So I'll continue to wait a few more weeks to see if the flight is cancelled then I will get a refund. Otherwise, I'll at least get a voucher and will use for our Camino next Sept-Oct. Bob

My wife and I still have air tickets leaving the US on Sept 14, so just one month away. I received notice of a change to our flight so traded messages with their on line help service. There was a minor time change to one of the flights. I asked if the flight was still valid since it originates in the US and flies to Madrid. I was told the flight has not been cancelled. I said I was skeptical since Spain is not allowing US citizens to enter their country. The agent told me that there are cases in which a Spanish citizen that has a US green card can still enter the country. Does not make sense to me. So I'll continue to wait a few more weeks to see if the flight is cancelled then I will get a refund. Otherwise, I'll at least get a voucher and will use for our Camino next Sept-Oct. Bob
Thanks Bob for the update. I am in similar circumstance....American tickets to Madrid Sept 10 return Oct. 13. I received American airlines email update today as well w/ a minor schedule change but I anticipate the flights to be camceled. Would like to get refund first, but if not then hopefully a voucher for next year. I wish us (and othe pilgrims in similar circumstances) well. Buen Camino! Mary

I said I was skeptical since Spain is not allowing US citizens to enter their country. The agent told me that there are cases in which a Spanish citizen that has a US green card can still enter the country. Does not make sense to me.
Makes perfect sense to me. There are people who are allowed to fly to Spain from the US, including Spanish citizens who have been living in the US.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Aer Lingus cancelled my sept 15th flight to sdc ,gave me 3 options: money back,gift voucher or rebook another flight. I rebooked for sept 25th fingers crossed
Sorry for your situation,that is really mean from that airline,you have to have consumer rights on this .

I asked if the flight was still valid since it originates in the US and flies to Madrid. I was told the flight has not been cancelled. I said I was skeptical since Spain is not allowing US citizens to enter their country. The agent told me that there are cases in which a Spanish citizen that has a US green card can still enter the country. Does not make sense to me
There are various categories of people who are not subject to incoming EU travel restrictions. As @trecile said, Spanish citizens who are residents in the USA (have a green card etc) are allowed to fly from the USA to Spain; also any other EU passport holder who is currently a resident in the USA; any USA national who holds dual nationality where the second nationality is Spanish or from another EU country; and their family members. There are daily flights from the USA to Madrid. Today, Friday, a flight from Dallas and two different flights from Miami are scheduled to arrive at Madrid airport.

Which means that there are scheduled flights from the USA to Spain that do not get cancelled.

Last edited:
Aer Lingus cancelled my sept 15th flight to sdc ,gave me 3 options: money back,gift voucher or rebook another flight. I rebooked for sept 25th fingers crossed
Sorry for your situation,that is really mean from that airline,you have to have consumer rights on this .
If I were you I would check your flight details.
I have friends flying with Aer Lingus from Dublin on the 26/9 to Santiago de Compostela.The Aer Lingus app shows no flights to Santiago on the 25/9 from Dublin.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If I were you I would check your flight details.
I have friends flying with Aer Lingus from Dublin on the 26/9 to Santiago de Compostela.The Aer Lingus app shows no flights to Santiago on the 25/9 from Dublin.
Buen Camino
Thank you ,yes i am on the same flight on sept 26th

I’m sure some airlines would go bankrupt if they issued refunds to everyone. Air Transat has issued me a credit that I have two years to use, so I’m okay with that.

With less than a month ago to my scheduled flight I contacted American Airlines today. They said the flight has not been cancelled. They offered me a voucher that is valid to travel before yearend 2021. I asked if I can apply for a full refund and she said this was an option. So I pulled the trigger. I should get a credit on my credit card within 7 to 10 days. Unlike past caminos, we did not get bargain prices on the flights, so I welcome the $2450 refund and am hopeful airlines will offer incentives / low fairs for travel the fall of 2021. Bob

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have so far received refunds from Korean Air for a flight to Spain in May, and from Qatar for a flight to Ireland in September. I was pleasantly surprised to get refunds for the travel insurance as well. Also Aer Lingus have just contacted me and offered a refund for the flight from Dublin to Santiago de Compostela. Waiting is not a problem, as I'm not going anywhere - along with other Australians I am not allowed out of the country.

Great news. Today I received email messages from American Airlines that they have processed a refund / credit to our credit card for the full amount of both round trip tickets for my wife and myself. For our first three caminos, we got airfares at bargain prices. This time we paid $2454, so no bargain, and these were non-refundable. Great that American Airlines is stepping up and giving us a full refund. In part this is due to the support AA received from the US govt. Today American announced they are cutting 19,000 employees in October when the federal aid expires.

Bob

I had planned to travel to Spain to walk the Camino Frances in April this year. I planned to travel from Australia to Barcelona and return with Singapore Airlines. Part of my return trip was Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona with Veuling Airlines.

When flights were canceled, Singapore Airlines immediately offered a credit or a refund. I chose the latter and the money was returned to me by the end if June. A very satisfactory outcome and a credit to them .

Sadly, not so Veuling Airlines. I was offered a credit, with no clear option of a refund. I accepted the credit with a limit of eighteen months, thinking I would be back for the Camino in 2021. When It became apparent that 2021 was unlikely I contacted Veuling Airlines and requested that the credit be extended. They refused; they said it was not possible. I then suggested that if the credit couldn’t be extended, then a refund should be offered. I received the following reply:

“In response to your refund request, after reviewing your claim, we have verified in our reservation system that you voluntarily accepted to obtain the flight credit. Therefore, we regret to inform you that you are not entitled to a cash refund.”

In response to that reply I sent the following message:

“Thank you for your response.
Unfortunately I find your response dismissive. Allow me to make the following points:

1. I did indeed accept a credit in the first instance. It was however not presented clearly as an alternative to a cash refund. I am sure you have records of the email concerned.
At that time I believe we all thought we would return to an acceptable measure of normality in 2021.

2. Notwithstanding the above, I was (and still am) happy to accept a credit in lieu of a cash refund. However an element of fairness needs to be applied.
Like most of us I am fully aware that the problems associated with the corona virus are beyond our control.

3. I do intend visiting Spain as soon as I can. I wish to walk the Camino de Santiago.
However, the likelihood of that now being possible prior to the end of 2021 is very low indeed. To plan for 2022 is a possibility but by no means a certainty.

4. In all fairness, if a time limit is to be applied to the credit, it would have to be three years, not eighteen months.

5. If for whatever reason the credit cannot be extended, a cash refund should be offered.

To refuse both the credit extension option and the cash refund option, would do you no credit and would raise questions as to your attitude toward a fair-minded solution to the corona virus related problems.

I trust you will review this matter further and I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards”

I received the following reply:

“Following our resolution to your case in our previous e-mail, we proceeded to revise this case and have verified that our company has complied at all times with our Conditions of Carriage and the current European air travel regulation.”

Clearly Veuling Airlines have no intention of responding to my circumstances in an honest and forthright way.

In the unlikely event that I am able to travel to Spain to walk the Camino next year I will of course use my credit (which expires in mid-December). However given that is not likely to be possible it seems I will lose my money. The amount is not great, however the principle is important. The contrast between Vueling Airlines and Singapore Airlines could not have been greater.

I will definitely never travel with Veuling Airlines. I would advise fellow Pilgrims to consider their options, especially if they have, or have had, Veuling Airlines bookings. I would suggest that anyone who has had bookings with Veuling Airlines to not agree to a credit but rather insist on a refund. I sense they may be made to provide a refund under EU air travel regulations.

Best wishes to everyone for a brighter Camino future.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello everyone
I received a monetary refund from Vueling with no problems. Had to fight with Tap Portugal. They offered a flight credit, which was of no value to me. I filed a dispute with my credit card company. Reason for the dispute was failure to provide service. The airline had about 3 months to respond to the credit card company regarding my dispute. When they failed to do so my temporary credit was changed to permanent credit.

I booked my tickets with American Express. Fiirst, of course, I contacted, the airlines to get refunds....Both Aerlingus and Lufthansa. After one month, with no resolution, I refuted the charges with American Express! It took another three months but cost of the flights were credited to my accounts. Airlines did offer air credit, but I wanted the refund, not knowing when we would be traveling again.

I had planned to travel to Spain to walk the Camino Frances in April this year.
Veuling Airlines. I was offered a credit, with no clear option of a refund. I accepted the credit
I contacted Veuling Airlines and requested that the credit be extended. They refused
"you voluntarily accepted to obtain the flight credit. Therefore, we regret to inform you that you are not entitled to a cash refund.”
I sense they may be made to provide a refund under EU air travel regulations
Thank you for this clear description! I share your disappointment about the lack of a more customer friendly approach by Vueling in view of this year's Coronavirus situation.

Unfortunately, you are in the same situation as numerous other customers. There is no recourse under EU air travel regulations.

In the early days in April 2020, numerous carriers tried to get away with merely offering a rebooking or an open credit to customers who had bought a ticket and did not want to travel or could not travel under these exceptional circumstances. European consumer organisations advised not to accept the offer and to insist on a cash refund, and I think it was eventually granted to everyone who had made such a request even though it may have taken a long time.

If, however, you had accepted the offer of a credit in the first place, you had no longer a right to demand a refund at a later time although some carriers may have granted it voluntarily as a service to their customers. Vueling is not the only carrier who did not opt for this universal approach, there are numerous other carriers who did the same.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Vueling is not the only carrier who did not opt for this universal approach, there are numerous other carriers who did the same.
I expect that if everyone boycotts every airline that didn't meet their expectations for refunds, we will just be playing musical chairs and the same number of people will still be traveling on the same airlines!

I expect that if everyone boycotts every airline that didn't meet their expectations for refunds, we will just be playing musical chairs and the same number of people will still be traveling on the same airlines!
Clearly a significant number of airlines have behaved badly (to put it mildly).
This forum would be an ideal place for Camino walkers to share their experience with different airlines. This in turn would provide those airlines that have done the right thing with the opportunity to benefit accordingly, as indeed they should.
As I indicated in my initial post, Singapore Airlines provided an immediate refund on my Australia to Barcelona return airfare.
I would assume that in a normal year, Camino travelers would represent a significant air travel cohort.
Wishing you all a wonderful New Year. I certainly look forward to joining the Camino Family in due course.

Definitely dispute the charges with your credit card company. I too have a credit that I have two years to use for three people that I booked from Canada to the Netherlands and that is up in May 2022 so we hope to travel somewhere before then, even if it is to be within Canada. Not that I agree with this policy, but if they refunded everyone, they would have gone bankrupt very quickly. 18 months seems to be a rather short timeline though. Good luck and buen Camino, when you’re finally able to go!

Definitely dispute the charges with your credit card company. I too have a credit that I have two years to use for three people that I booked from Canada to the Netherlands and that is up in May 2022 so we hope to travel somewhere before then, even if it is to be within Canada. Not that I agree with this policy, but if they refunded everyone, they would have gone bankrupt very quickly. 18 months seems to be a rather short timeline though. Good luck and buen Camino, when you’re finally able to go!
Thanks for your response. I have initiated a claim through Mastercard; fingers crossed.
Re your related matter, I assume you are referring to Air Canada. I had bookings with them as well in July and whilst they have refused any cash refund they have extended the credit they have offered to include no time limit and to make it fully transferable. I finally sorted that with them with a phone call (emails were being unanswered). I sympathise with the airlines, however to be fair-minded, any flight credit should be either unlimited or at least have an extended time-frame. Vueling failed badly on that latter point.

Thanks for your response. I have initiated a claim through Mastercard; fingers crossed.
Re your related matter, I assume you are referring to Air Canada. I had bookings with them as well in July and whilst they have refused any cash refund they have extended the credit they have offered to include no time limit and to make it fully transferable. I finally sorted that with them with a phone call (emails were being unanswered). I sympathise with the airlines, however to be fair-minded, any flight credit should be either unlimited or at least have an extended time-frame. Vueling failed badly on that latter point.
I am happy to hear that things worked out for you, Peter-H. For my trip last year, I waited and waited for my refund as my departure date aproached, which was hard initially for me to do as I don't like loose ends. But from observation, it seemed like American Airline was not cancelling reservations (which would allow me a refund) until about a week before the flight. If I reached them (next to impossible back then) and said I wanted to cancel my ticket, there would be no refund; and there would be penalties. Happily a couple of weeks before I was to take off, they contacted me and asked if I wanted a refund or a credit plus 20%. I was able to get through to an agent, and mentioned I had the two options and I was thinking of taking the credit plus 20%. He said--before I could finish my sentence--"Take the refund." I was surprised because keeping my money (and the millions of dollars the US Government, AKA My Tax Dollar, gave to them in the CARES Act) would help keep the airline afloat, but I figured if this bloke said "Refund," I would grab it. Now I am glad I did since there's no way travel is going to sort itself out any time soon.

For the record, my Mastercard claim has been processed and the money is back in my account.
There is a proviso as follows: “If the merchant provides proof that the charge was valid, we may re-debit your account.” However it’s difficult to see how they could do that having refused to consider an extension of the credit, or a refund.
I think credit card providers have been reluctant to process claims against airlines under the present circumstances. However in cases such as this where the airline is being totally unreasonable, it seems they may be prepared to process a claim. In any case, so far so good!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello everyone
They should extend the date for another year due to travel restrictions this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back