• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When are the busy periods on the Camino Frances?

When are the busy periods on the Camino Frances? 2014-03-08

No permission to download

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
tyrrek submitted a new resource:

When are the busy periods on the Camino Frances? - Interactive charts modelling pilgrim statistics (prototype for discussion)

This Excel workbook models published pilgrim statistics from the Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela to estimate daily pilgrim flows across the Camino Frances over the course of a year. The modelled figures are experimental only, and are open to discussion and input from other pilgrims. Although based upon the published figures, these are NOT official Pilgrim Office statistics.
The model shows how different parts of the Camino Frances experience proportionately higher numbers of pilgrims...

Read more about this resource...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This resource has been removed and is no longer available for download.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This was a great resource. Any plans to update it?
Hi Robo

I can't remember that post about the file no longer being available - I know I had problems loading it originally and Ivar had to help me out! It is still there.

From what I remember that analysis was based on the 2013 figures. I repeated it again in 2014 and the results were almost identical, so I didn't bother updating the file on the forum or updating it again after 2015 when those figures became available.

I thought about reviewing it after 3 years, but as 2016 was a Holy Year of sorts it is not ideal to update it just at the moment. The existing version is probably more useful for planning purposes than one based on a Holy Year would be.

So, the plan (if there is one!) is an update next spring with 2017's data, perhaps with a 3 or 5 year comparison to identify any changing trends.

Thanks for your interest!

Hi Robo

I can't remember that post about the file no longer being available - I know I had problems loading it originally and Ivar had to help me out! It is still there.

From what I remember that analysis was based on the 2013 figures. I repeated it again in 2014 and the results were almost identical, so I didn't bother updating the file on the forum or updating it again after 2015 when those figures became available.

I thought about reviewing it after 3 years, but as 2016 was a Holy Year of sorts it is not ideal to update it just at the moment. The existing version is probably more useful for planning purposes than one based on a Holy Year would be.

So, the plan (if there is one!) is an update next spring with 2017's data, perhaps with a 3 or 5 year comparison to identify any changing trends.

Thanks for your interest!

Makes sense. I look forward to the 2017 update :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, will there be an updated version of the charts? I was trying to use the excel graphs, but it seems like the download doesn't provide the same options as what is shown in the picture (I can't select the town and date), I only have excel graphs and different worksheets. I love the potential of this source.
Thanks for putting up an update if you eventually do!

Hi, will there be an updated version of the charts? I was trying to use the excel graphs, but it seems like the download doesn't provide the same options as what is shown in the picture (I can't select the town and date), I only have excel graphs and different worksheets. I love the potential of this source.
Thanks for putting up an update if you eventually do!
Hi Camster
Sorry you're having trouble with the charts. I just downloaded it onto my phone and it seemed to work OK, but I know what these things can be like. It may be worth trying again just in case there was a glitch when it unzipped.

As far as updates, I started one in spring but then lost Excel from my laptop, so I'll have to get that sorted out. It takes a long time to clean the cathedral data for various reasons, but once done I can just drop the new data in. I'll try to pick it up again in the coming weeks.

I'm hoping to show a comparison with the old data because last time I looked it appeared that the Camino Frances is becoming more polarised, with pilgrims starting either in SJPP or Sarria rather than anywhere between the two. We'll see!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.