• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When Brierley writes, "keep s/o" .... ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings,

When Brierley writes, "keep s/o" ....

What does that mean?

He uses it in different ways, one of which was "keep s/o (left)"

I couldn't find anything on Google or here.
Am I betraying the fact that I'm not from the UK?

Cheers
Yes, s/o is straight on. I would suggest (left) means the route you need to take bears to the left.

So imagine a Y junction. The main route heads off up the left branch and there is a minor route to the right.
You want to go s/o (left).

You also want to keep an eye out for the yellow arrows ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Greetings,

What does that mean?

Cheers
Haha I remember wondering the same! And then I found it as you now have it is Straight On.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings,

What does that mean?

Cheers
Straight On

Greetings,

What does that mean?

Cheers
Keep Straight On!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, s/o is straight on. I would suggest (left) means the route you need to take bears to the left.

So imagine a Y junction. The main route heads off up the left branch and there is a minor route to the right.
You want to go s/o (left).

You also want to keep an eye out for the yellow arrows ;)

Yes, thanks for the wink about following the yellow arrows. But which one?
See this picture of this curious juncture along the Camino Portugués w/no explanation.
It's in the last stage between Padrón and Santiago DC.
Brierley gives the explanation.left or right.png

Yes, I found the Abbreviations in my Sanabres/Invierno guide, and it is "s/o = straight on".

I couldn't find it in my older Frances guide, but it might be there, hidden in the small print.
When I first walked years ago I had the Brierley guide and remember well not knowing what s/o was. I did eventually findit. I also had to "study" the difference between all the different kinds of places to stay. Brierley helped and so did this forum. So many questions for so many new pilgrims. it is fun to help out!

Greetings,

What does that mean?

Cheers
Straight on

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, thanks for the wink about following the yellow arrows. But which one?
See this picture of this curious juncture along the Camino Portugués w/no explanation.
It's in the last stage between Padrón and Santiago DC.
Brierley gives the explanation.View attachment 129711
It's either a modern version of "all roads lead to Rome" or a twist on the old Scottish song:

You take the high road
And I'll take the low road
And I'll be in Santiago
Afore you!

Can't stand the way that man virtue signals in his books. Bet he would have been annoying over the last two years!
???, as in Que? as in "d'you what?". I have no understanding of what you perceive as "virtue signalling", I'm not even sure I have an understanding of that portmanteau phrase though Wiki is as usual helpful:

"Virtue signalling", according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is "an attempt to show other people that you are a good person, for example by expressing opinions that will be acceptable to them, especially on social media."[4] The expression is often used to imply that the virtue being signalled is exaggerated or insincere.[5]

Bloke walks the Camino Frances back when most didn't. In the process he has a personal experience that significantly changes his perception of himself. Decides that he's going to do it all again but keep a record; of the route(s), accommodations, cultural highlights (that he's aware of). Decides to write all that up into an English language guidebook and manages to convince a publisher that it is a worthwhile investing effort, paper and press-time. OK, it might not make any money but it might cover costs and any way, it'll help people.

Does it again, and again. Keeps walking Caminos. Talks to people. Finds things out about places to sleep, places to eat, places to seek out and places to avoid. Keeps on doing it. Does it again.

Being from a culture wherein I'm defined by what I do and not my wealth or social significance, let alone my beliefs or religious inclinations, I'm minded to give JB every credit for everything he has done and achieved. His "spiritual" meanderings annoy the hell out of me but I'm at liberty to razor them out of his books without cost to either of us.

Meanwhile I'll leave the Ukrainian flag icon in my signature line and continue my financial and social support to that cause - or is that just virtue signalling?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
???, as in Que? as in "d'you what?". I have no understanding of what you perceive as "virtue signalling", I'm not even sure I have an understanding of that portmanteau phrase though Wiki is as usual helpful:

"Virtue signalling", according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is "an attempt to show other people that you are a good person, for example by expressing opinions that will be acceptable to them, especially on social media."[4] The expression is often used to imply that the virtue being signalled is exaggerated or insincere.[5]

Bloke walks the Camino Frances back when most didn't. In the process he has a personal experience that significantly changes his perception of himself. Decides that he's going to do it all again but keep a record; of the route(s), accommodations, cultural highlights (that he's aware of). Decides to write all that up into an English language guidebook and manages to convince a publisher that it is a worthwhile investing effort, paper and press-time. OK, it might not make any money but it might cover costs and any way, it'll help people.

Does it again, and again. Keeps walking Caminos. Talks to people. Finds things out about places to sleep, places to eat, places to seek out and places to avoid. Keeps on doing it. Does it again.

Being from a culture wherein I'm defined by what I do and not my wealth or social significance, let alone my beliefs or religious inclinations, I'm minded to give JB every credit for everything he has done and achieved. His "spiritual" meanderings annoy the hell out of me but I'm at liberty to razor them out of his books without cost to either of us.

Meanwhile I'll leave the Ukrainian flag icon in my signature line and continue my financial and social support to that cause - or is that just virtue signalling?
"Twassock" is another fine portmanteau work and is, I think, applicable in this case.

I've never read JB's book, after my second Camino using the CJS guide I just winged it, but did have the honour to meet Etienne, widower of Alice Craemer who was tragically killed on the Camino in 1986, and who compiled the Belgian guide.
He was on his 16th or 17th Camino Frances in 2001, a walking encyclopedia of all things Camino who left me amazed at the dedication to his cause.
Most tourist guides rely upon a team of researchers, to update a guide year after year with on the ground, personal research demands more respect than being dismissed as "virtue signalling".

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.