Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When considerations become plans ... and when things get complicated ;-)

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
So I finally managed to plan my year this weekend and booked my flights to Oviedo (September 15) and from Santiago (September 30). Yay 😎
Pre-Covid this would have been it. But is it just me, or does everything travel related still seem complicated and processes clumsy?
1. I booked via one of the larger platforms and got my flights back confirmed instantly, but my September 15 flight to Oviedo is still waiting for confirmation. Also I realised that prices have gone up a lot and that there are by far less possible connections. I will travel from one tiny place (home) to another tiny place (Oviedo) and most booking platforms would not even find connections.
EDIT: Just got the flights it confirmed NOW 🥂
2. I am of course nervous if there will be restrictions still in place or new restrictions established by the time I want to travel. Over here in Sweden the pandemic is not a big thing anymore. All got back to normal. But Spain seems to be quite different in that respect.
3. Should I try to get a third shot? I have had Covid right in the beginning of this mess and have been vaccinated twice since and the two Omicron variants are having a big party among my local friends while I do not get infected at all (no matter how hard I try ... no, kidding, of course not trying but it is really impossible not to be exposed to it right now). So technically I have a high level of immunity and there is not need for any further vaccination. But then again travel restrictions might require it ...

Sigh ... I miss those days when travel was super-easy – although in principle I do not like to travel by plane for ecological reasons. But I hardly ever fly. Trying to put aside my flight-shame just for my Caminos.

Well, this reads like a rant now ... but I guess it was intended just as a planning update spammed into this group ;-)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
FWIW I would get that booster shot. If only for the ever changing travelrules. Although I fully understand you about Omikron being all around the place here in our region and the level of immunity.
Yes, it really might be wise to do so. Also I might have to travel to Germany on a business trip this summer. Missing that chance would also be sad in a way.
i just realised that now they offer drop-in vaccination over here. So it might be quite uncomplicated to get boostered after all :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
1. I booked via one of the larger platforms and got my flights back confirmed instantly, but my September 15 flight to Oviedo is still waiting for confirmation. Also I realised that prices have gone up a lot and that there are by far less possible connections. I will travel from one tiny place (home) to another tiny place (Oviedo) and most booking platforms would not even find connections.
Don't discount ALSA or Renfe to get to Oviedo from Madrid as an alterntive to flying. Not ideal, but works

Don't discount ALSA or Renfe to get to Oviedo from Madrid as an alterntive to flying. Not ideal, but works
Thank you for the hint! I actually did look into that but in the end I ended up with Luleå - Stockholm - Barcelona - Oviedo .. a loooooong day on airports and planes 🙈 but the cheapest alternative ... AAAND ... I just got it confirmed this minute 😎

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, if it's been more than 270 days since your second shot it's required.
Thank you for the warning! I used to be always informed and up-to-date with regulations but as where I live the whole thing is more or less declared over, I sort of became sloppy and did not think about it any longer ;-)
I got my second shot pretty late so it is still valid. But it will not be valid any more later this year ... I guess betting on a likely change in regulations will put my plans to unnecessary risk ...

Thank you for the warning! I used to be always informed and up-to-date with regulations but as where I live the whole thing is more or less declared over, I sort of became sloppy and did not think about it any longer ;-)
I got my second shot pretty late so it is still valid. But it will not be valid any more later this year ... I guess betting on a likely change in regulations will put my plans to unnecessary risk ...
Keep an eye on the Travel Safe Spain site that I linked to to keep updated.

I will make a decision on May 1 (before traveling May 27) whether to booster or not booster based on Spanish travel regulations. If it is not required, I'm not getting it. Personal feeling is that the vaccine did a great job in keeping the worst health issues away while the virus worked down its severity, but the vaccine and booster have never been presented as eliminating the virus, only minimizing the effects and preventing worst case medical scenarios. With the speed that restrictions are falling away adn the less severe variations that are going around now, the vaccine may no longer be needed soon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am over 65 and next month I will be getting my 4th shot. As studies and evidence mounts it is showing, especially in high risk groups and over 65 a 4th vaccine provides excellent protection against serious illness and hospitalization. But always speak to your doctor.

Yes, if it's been more than 270 days since your second shot it's required.

View attachment 120999
Here there’s a growing push by health authorities for the third shot, saying you’re not fully vaccinated unless you have it. There’s also discussion on the possible need for a fourth shot, particularly for the elderly.

De colores

Bogong

In the same boat so to speak. No plans for a booster and original vaccines outdated. Last year I made all my arrangements in one month so last minute may still be possible. Since Pfizer released their studies I personally don't feel vaccines have a good enough safety profile but everyone has to make up their own mind on that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back