• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When do the summer crowds subside?

oldhat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May-June 2016)
I'd originally planned my Camino for early May through June, and still may do that, but there's also a possibility I might have to postpone until later in the year. I'd like to avoid peak season on the Camino Frances, so can anyone tell me at what point the crowds start to lessen? August? September? Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't know what the official numbers are, but I have done Caminos from the months of June through September, and the only time I encountered high volumes of fellow pilgrims was on the stretch between O'Cebreiro and Santiago. Otherwise, the numbers weren't high at all. Some days were downright sparse.
I would say unless you walk it very early in the season, or very late, you will encounter a lot of pilgrims the last 100 km or so.

Here in Moratinos and at San Anton de Castrojeriz, right in the middle section of the Frances, we see a surge in September and a big drop-off in October. September can be downright hectic, due to everyone who waited to "beat the summer crowds!" Early in the year May is our heaviest month.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Keep in mind that this year the Pope has declared as being a special year with the Puerta del perdon being open.

Last night I was reading interesting stats about the origins of the Camino. Numbers surged from in the 40s per year, to the 4000s on the "Holy Years", when the 25th of July falls on a Sunday. Apparently there was little interest in heading out if not on Holy Year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'd originally planned my Camino for early May through June, and still may do that, but there's also a possibility I might have to postpone until later in the year. I'd like to avoid peak season on the Camino Frances, so can anyone tell me at what point the crowds start to lessen? August? September? Thanks!

'all' the young spaniards walk in july and august, as well as most of the spaniards that are not unemployed. pilgrims from abroad appear to favour may and september, all the way into october... so in your case, i would definitely avoid june, july and august and first half of september (and this year we are set for all time records with the holy year of mercy :). in any case, most of the 'crowds' happen within a 200 km radius of SdC. check out the pilgrim's office stats for lots of info regarding numbers in previous years. buen camino!

I walked late August, all of September 2013 and the only crowds I saw were the cities like Ponferrada, Burgos, etc. I think later in the year (like the autumn months) is a good time to go. The students are heading back to school, but the Camino still has traffic so that pilgrims are not alone for very long stretches. I would think that if a person began their Camino May-June the opposite would be true because school graduations start in May and so does summer vacations in many places. it really comes down to what you want in your experience. Remember that it's your journey. Buen Camino.

Hello oldhat. . Months of July and August are the months of higger number of pilgrims arriving to Santiago. BUT! This is because crowds of people are walking the last 100 km. Galicia is a part of Spain with a smother weather than Castilla, Navarra or Rioja and many people take advantage of this for "to do " El Camino.
Walking the Camino in summer time can be hard, and people prefers to stay in the beach, but you can find a number of walkers or bikers sweating like ducks in the oven all along the way.
Is during the month of September when you´ll find "the ordes" on The Way. Thousands of pilgrims competing for a bed
The best period for the French Camino? I think from October to November and from April to May. It depends of the weather. June coul be a little hot, and a little busy but maybe not. Of course nothing compared to September. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back