• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When I went virtually walking…

DebR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2013, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 23
0040B7C7-B710-449B-8E00-3AFCF34740E1.pngOver lunch today in (still) locked down Melbourne Australia, I took myself on a wee virtual Camino walk, courtesy of the Google Maps street view. I followed the waymarks out of Logrono to the park and then picked up the street view just as the park gives way to the path up the hill approaching the Toro billboard. Where I found this. This photo is looking back toward the reservoir: it’s a better view than the others in which the creature is visible. (Google map location: Navarette - La Rioja - 42.439364, -2.552050)
Can’t say how glad to have stumbled upon him in this fashion rather than the alternative. Has anyone actually seen them for real on The Way? (I’m five forgive with no snakes myself.)
(Disclaimer: I come from the land downunder, where many of these can kill you, and I’m really quite phobic.)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have never seen a snake on any of the camino routes I have walked, but fully expect them to be there somewhere. There is, after all, plenty of habitat that would provide them with food and shelter outside of the towns. Even closer to towns, where there are farm buildings sheltering small mammals, ponds with frogs and other amphibians, or even a few eggs from a chook pen, it wouldn't be a surprize to see one.

On open roads like this they don't seem to me to be an issue - they are easy to see and avoid, or will take cover themselves before you get too close. On narrower tracks though, you are less likely to see them early, and keeping a closer eye on the track would be a wise thing to do.

I have only rarely seen snakes that don't move away when I was approaching, both times in early spring. I think that they might not have warmed up sufficiently to take evasive action, but I am no expert at that level of snake behaviour.

I give any I see a wide berth when I am walking. If I cannot do that, I will stop and wait if it is moving slowly away. That has worked well so far.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I come from a country that does not have snakes or any other creature that might hurt you. Therefore when on trails overseas I never even think to look for them. In 60 years of many trails in many countries, the only time I ever saw a snake was in Yellowstone National Park, which was obviously aware of me before I saw it as it was disappearing of the track and into the undergrowth.

certainly not easy to tell from here but the poisonous ones usually have a triangular head. Not always though. Here is a brief but informative piece on Snakes in Spain.
Fortunately there are only a couple of poisonous snakes in the world and neither are indigenous to Spain - quite honestly I don't know why anybody would want to eat them anyway although I'm told other snakes - constrictors and venomous ones - "taste like chicken".

fake-snake-news-how-not-identify-poisonous-snake

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
View attachment 110567Over lunch today in (still) locked down Melbourne Australia, I took myself on a wee virtual Camino walk, courtesy of the Google Maps street view. I followed the waymarks out of Logrono to the park and then picked up the street view just as the park gives way to the path up the hill approaching the Toro billboard. Where I found this. This photo is looking back toward the reservoir: it’s a better view than the others in which the creature is visible. (Google map location: Navarette - La Rioja - 42.439364, -2.552050)
Can’t say how glad to have stumbled upon him in this fashion rather than the alternative. Has anyone actually seen them for real on The Way? (I’m five forgive with no snakes myself.)
(Disclaimer: I come from the land downunder, where many of these can kill you, and I’m really quite phobic.)
I've only ever seen two snake over 6 Caminos: a 6 inch long viper on the forest track into San Juan and a 3 foot long pale green affair - fortunately dead - in the gutter on the Portuguese.

Fortunately there are only a couple of poisonous snakes in the world and neither are indigenous to Spain - quite honestly I don't know why anybody would want to eat them anyway although I'm told other snakes - constrictors and venomous ones - "taste like chicken".

fake-snake-news-how-not-identify-poisonous-snake
I think this deserves a fact check. @Jeff Crawley might be correct that there are only a couple of poisonous snakes in the world - certainly I cannot think of any that are, although some snakes will retain toxins from their prey. So if they feed on poisonous animals, they can retain that animal's toxin. But there an awful lot of snakes that are venomous. Wikipedia suggests about 600 or so species of the total of about 3500. So I suspect it would be quite safe, were you so inclined, to make a meal of any snake you had killed. You might want to know where its venom glands are so that you remove enough head and body to ensure you don't have them in your meal.

Never. Though I would very much like to.
When you go to the original google images, you can see her/him moving across the road as the Google car approaches. This was a live snake, not a roadkill! 😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For the omnivorous, and/or curious. I’ve sampled Marmot; Rock Hyrax; Hedgehog; Python; Alligator; Fulmar and Cane Rat. Absolutely none of them tasted even vaguely like any chicken I’ve ever eaten…
Perhaps I should change my poulterer?
Ah but that is not the issue that gets resolved by saying that something tastes like chicken.

Please describe what Marmot tastes like?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yup. “Tastes like chicken.”
I did an escape and survival course with the RAF many, many years ago. The main presenter was a Squadron Leader just back from the Jungle Warfare School in Singapore.
He told us a tale of taking out a 5 man bomber crew into the jungle and making sure they saw the two instructors had with them a whole, canned chicken.
On the last night in the jungle the instructors invited the student to their hut for dinner - a very tasty chicken stew. The next day, as they were packing up to leave, the instructors asked "So, what did you think of stewed snake then?"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Has anyone actually seen them for real on The Way?
Yes, seen several, but I’d heard snakes in Europe won’t kill you, so I tried to see them more clearly, rather than jump the other way (as I do here).

One was in Portugal, near Tomar, a large one, but it disappeared into the undergrowth before I could see it properly.

Another was on Le Puy route. Also big, it was on the small country road we were walking along.

We had just got near it when a fast car came around the corner. We leapt out of the way of the car, but the car ran over the snake and just kept going.

We were stunned. We were so sad that the snake had been killed that we miserably walked on without looking back.

@Doughnut NZ Marmot: Fairly "earthy": on the edge of that taste you get in your mouth when you inhale as you step into a stable; quite sweet - especially in the Autumn/Fall when they are really fattened up for the winter - an undertone, again, of earth/sugar/mushroom/decay similar to a roast parsnip or a salt baked Celeriac. That farm-yard essence reminiscent of a well aged Shiraz. Rock Hyrax is much "greener"/ herby - probably that diet of Lichens & Mosses topped up with a bit of Lizard & various invertebrates. Hedgehog tastes like Hedgehog, if I ever encountered a chicken that tasted like a Hedgehog I'd probably feed it to the dog... Python was "wet", fibrous, bland and bone ridden much like a Pike and probably an exemplar of why we've chosen to farm mammals rather than reptiles

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For the omnivorous, and/or curious. I’ve sampled Marmot; Rock Hyrax; Hedgehog; Python; Alligator; Fulmar and Cane Rat. Absolutely none of them tasted even vaguely like any chicken I’ve ever eaten…
Perhaps I should change my poulterer?
My wife and I stayed in a longhouse up the Scrang river in Borneo for our honeymoon in the early 1990s. I’m not entirely sure why - I think it was the most exotic location we could think of.

Dinner was whatever hapless creature the days hunters came across. Precisely nothing tasted like or had the texture or placid nature of chicken. Everything fought for its life and tasted resentful.

Porcupine is like eating a car tyre.

Porcupine is like eating a car tyre
Ah, the difference between eating a real chicken that has lived an energetic life of many years outrunning the farmer's knife until it got too old and slow vs the caged and forcefed youngster that we buy in the supermarket 🐓

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ah, the difference between eating a real chicken that has lived an energetic life of many years outrunning the farmer's knife until it got too old and slow vs the caged and forcefed youngster that we buy in the supermarket 🐓
Look away now if you are vegetarian or squeemish! You have been warned.

While I have my head down and helmet on from my last post anyway, I may as well double my troubles by recounting the story about my first time flatting while I am at it.

I was 17 or 18 when I decided that it was time to head on out on my own by going flatting with one of my mates, his older sister and her boyfriend.

All went well for a week or so until my mate had a brilliant idea to get four hens so that we could have free eggs and therefore more money to spend on our bikes and beer. We didn't want to clutter up the back yard of our rented house so he built a cage at the side of the house.

This went well for three days until, out of the blue, the landlord turned up in a rage. It seemed that the nextdoor neighbour, outside who's bedroom window we had built the chicken coop, knew the landlord and had complained.

Back in those days there were very few tenancy laws in ANZ and so we found ourselves, our stuff, the hens and their coop out on the road.

I headed around to see the old man and asked him if I could move back home, neglecting to mention that I would have four chickens in tow as my mate's Mum had already told him that they weren't coming to her house!

The next day my Dad sat me down for a chat and said that while he enjoyed my company and that I could stay, those hens had to go.

That weekend we held a gathering at my Dad's house, three of my best mates, a couple of dozen beers and myself to analyze the world on a hot summer day and to decide what we would do with these hens.

After a suitable amount of liquid refreshment we all agreed that the most logical thing to do was to eat them for a late lunch/early dinner.

We then started discussing who would do what and as I was the only person who had ever seen or been involved in preparing chickens to eat I made sure that I got in early and said that I would cook them if the rest of them killed and plucked them.

I knew that there was no way that I could kill an animal myself and I certainly didn't want the hard dirty work of plucking them and so cooking it was for me.

Being the resident "expert" they then looked to me for ideas on what to do next. I told them that the simplest, most humane method of killing the hens was to chop their heads off with an axe and that this was a two man job. One to hold the hen while the other wielded the axe.

So two of them got nominated for that and the third was left to do the plucking, although the owner of the hens said that he would help with that.

If only we had smartphones in those days, I would certainly have recorded what happened next.

I got the axe and a chopping block out of the woodshed and presented them to the two designated dispatchers. One grabbed the axe and the other grabbed one of the hens. My other mate and I sat down on the back steps, beer in hand to watch.

The guy holding the chicken placed it over the chopping block and looked away so that he wouldn't see the chicken head removed. The axeman lined up the axe and then he, also turned his head away so that he wouldn't see!

After several strokes of the axe that didn't come anywhere near the hen or her holder the guy holding the hen realized that the axeman wasn't looking where he was chopping and so was torn between self preservation and not wanting to watch the chicken lose its head.

Meanwhile my other mate and I were rolling around on the stairs, laughing our heads off and spilling our beer.

< Graphic details removed >

Eventually the hens were humanely dispatched, no fingers or hands were lost, the carcases were plucked, a lot more beer got drunk and the hens were roasted.

Unfortunately they were a little tough but I don't think that anyone really cared. We ate the roast potatoes and threw most of the rest away and decided that from then on we would buy our chickens from the supermarket.

Last edited:
A little fellow on the road just past Valcarlos. I kept an eye on him to make sure he got across the road safely. Fortunately there were very few vehicles that morning, CF 2016. I have eaten Rattlesnake. It, like a lot of other more unusual meats, tasted like chewy chicken. Chocolate covered ants on the other hand!

IMG_20160527_121329935.jpg

Python was "wet", fibrous, bland and bone ridden much like a Pike and probably an exemplar of why we've chosen to farm mammals rather than reptiles
Not similar to eel? Eels are very bony but also hard to beat when fresh out of the river and fried in butter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back