• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

when is my bag too heavy

+@^^

ah yes, the vexed 10% of body weight urban legend
? who said this is the optimal weight
? who said a light pack is every pilgrims holy grail
? did the pilgrims of yore compare size
i have discovered 2 scientificly proven methods of determining when your backpack is too heavy
1) if you slip in the mud and "face-plant" into 2 inches of water, and you drown because you cant lift yourself up - then your pack is too heavy.
2) if you stumble and slip and fall over backwards, landing on your pack and unable to get upright, arms flaying, and the farmer finds you exhausted 3 days later - then your backpack is too heavy
i love the camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another gem, tamtamplin!

Even if you don't publish your stuff, we are still keeping it in "Tamtamplin's Tips"!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
These mental images will have me smiling the rest of the day!!

:D :lol: :p

Lekker boetie!!

did the pilgrims of yore compare size

The whole idea that you have to carry a backpack is an urban legend started by a pilgrim fundamentalist group in the late 1970s as a way of making all future Camino pilgrims' lives a misery!!

Have you ever seen a drawing, picture, sculpture, stained glass window depiction anywhere of a pilgrim with a backpack?? I'm sure the excess of carrying half your belongings on your back would have been laughable, dangerous (robbers, bandits, highwaymen), and considered downright stupid by any self-respecting pilgrim in the middle ages.

If we modern-day pilgs really want to emulate our medieval counterparts we should carry a scrip - no more. It should be just big enough to carry your airticket home, your credit card, your credencial and a few euros.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sil:

I like the idea of no backpack. That said, there would be some pretty ripe Pilgrims on the trail. I believe our predecessors put much less emphasis on Hygiene.

Ultreya,
Joe

It would be ever so much fun to walk the Camino without a backpack!!! I'll have to think on whether it is really possible :?:

Medieval pilgrims took a scrip and staff. They were expected to leave a will and to have settled all debts. They would seek the blessing of the church before setting out.

Why do you think they swung the botafumerio in the Cathedral folks?

Smelly pilgrims. :shock:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm going to bring a more somber mood here.

Two or three years ago, I remember hearing of a pilgrim carrying too heavy a backpack -- and too high as well. Remember Castrojeriz, the long hill going to a sign saying Matajudios and then a long way down on to the Meseta basically? Well on that way down a pilgrim tripped and fell face first. His backpack bounced on his head and it hit a stone.
Bleak, I know.

Please let us know how you get on Julie. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would have to say that your backpack is too heavy when you have things you don't need.
Now as one who famously took perfume on her caminos, I am probably the last one to talk, but you know we do so often take things "just in case". (Lydia Smith's Camino Documentary trailer has a great interview with one woman who lists all the things she seems to have come prepared for> including "nuclear war"!)
Chuck it out, give it away, send it home...
The Camino will provide. It always does.

http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Sil - that is such a good point about medieval images of pilgrims! I think the scrip could be quite a large shoulder bag that hung to one side of the waist ... but not sure :|

so what would they have carried? Purse, Bible, rosary, candle and tinder, simple food - bread, sausage and cheese?, repair kit - pretty standard in those days - , good knife, bowl, small first-aid kit - with ointments? , passport, letter of introduction in Latin .....

A spare shirt and leggings perhaps? Surely a towel?

Anyone know?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can't help but think of a woman I saw on the Camino in 2003.
She wore a ring on each finger,
carried full make-up and hairspray,
and wore pantyhose under her shorts.
That night, we watched in disbelief as she did a full facial, with cleansing cream, toner, and night cream. Oh yes, and don't forget the perfume (which choked the life out of everyone who had to sleep there)
To dinner, she wore heels, so she was carrying those too.
I'd say her pack was most likely too heavy? :lol:

Oh, Annie! You bring a memory in Leon to mind. I remember some young women around me opening up their packs and displaying not only make-up, lotions in bottles and jars, but hairdryers and curling irons! I was flabbergasted to say the least. My little hygiene baggie is a small tube of body lotion, soap, toothbrush and paste, half a handi-wipe for a wash cloth, and a travel size tooth floss (which can also double as thread). I don't even take a comb or brush--use my fingers to comb my wet hair.

Anniesantiago said:
I can't help but think of a woman I saw on the Camino in 2003.
She wore a ring on each finger, carried full make-up and hairspray, and wore pantyhose under her shorts.......To dinner, she wore heels, so she was carrying those too.
I'd say her pack was most likely too heavy? :lol:

Good Grief high heels! The mere thought of pushing sore blistered feet into a pair of high heels-even Jimmy Choos-brings tears to my eyes....sounds like she'd be well up for this event on Croagh Patrick in a few weeks http://www.meetonthereek.ie/ it's a cross between a pilgrimage and speed dating :shock:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.