A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

When is Semana Santa 2020 along the Camino Frances

2020 Camino Guides

YMMV

Your Mileage May Vary
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Planning for April 2020)
I’m planning to walk the Camino Frances starting at SJPdP in April. I was planning to start on April 1 until I realized Easter and Semana Santa this year is early. So decided to push it back a couple of weeks and fly out (from Canada) on Easter Monday (April 13) as I’d like to avoid overly crowded Albergues as much as possible. This will be my first Camino.

However, this morning, just as was about to book my flights, I saw at the ‘Cuenta oficial de la Junta de Cofradías de la Semana Santa de Santiago de Compostela’ Twitter account @SemStaSantiago and website that Easter ‘week’ this year runs from April 3 to 19. That’s one long week! But then my Spanish is rusty and that’s perhaps limited to Santiago.

Can anyone who has direct knowledge please advise when one can expect to see the Easter celebrations along the Camino Frances this year.

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Semana Santa or Holy Week starts on Palm Sunday and ends on Easter or some might say Easter Monday.

Palm Sunday : 5th of April 2020.
Easter Sunday : 12th of April 2020.

Expect that most of the towns and villages will have some form of procession going on.
The bigger towns like Pamplona, Burgos , Leon , Ponferrada and of course Santiago will be buzzing with atmosphere.
Private lodgings will be more expensive than normal and booked out rather quickly.

Take a look at the Semana Santa page of the town of Burgos to get an idea.

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
A nice alternative is to embrace Semana Santa rather than avoid it.
I timed my Camino Primitivo walk to be in Oviedo at the end of Semana Santa. That gave me the chance to see the Sudarium on one of the rare days when it is put on display and also to watch processions by a number of capirotes groups. A great experience and not at all like Easter in Scotland in my younger days :cool:

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 52 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 183 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 297 24.4%
  • June

Votes: 86 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 349 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 149 12.3%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock