• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When is the best time to walk in the fall?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm planning to start at Roncesvalles. Any suggestions of a start time, i.e. early or late September.
I would appreciate your feedback.

JvM
Hy James , My wife walked the Camino in half Augustus / September 2013 and she had great weather , just 2 day's of rain. Buen Camino , Peter .

Thanks for your response. I've heard it is likely to be rainy the further you get into Oct. I have also just read a comment that Sept. is one of the busiest months. So it's hard for me to decide what to favor.

Keep everyone happy James .........mid Sept start.
Book ahead @ the start thus no rushing , commence mid week and enjoy.
The weather will be wonderful............until ???
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Weather wise you can be lucky in October/November, as we were last year, or unlucky in September. September is busier than October and October busier than November, but not so busy as July/August. What I try to say is nobody can predict the weather so far in advance and all months have there plus and minuses. Buen Camino! SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Started walking in beginning of sept twice now and both times i had great weather. Your walking towards october which can be colder, can be and probably will be. You could also be lucky.
From aprox mid sept you will notice it will start to get colder earlier at night. A jacket is needed in the shadow when eating drinking outside.

I personally love walking in warm weather. Some days in sept did get extremely hot, which i also dont mind.
I would not trade it for a late sept start and walk most of the camino in a possibly colder and wetter october.

Its all personal, i guess. What kind of weather are you hoping for?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Keep everyone happy James .........mid Sept start.
Book ahead @ the start thus no rushing , commence mid week and enjoy.
The weather will be wonderful............until ???
Buen Camino
Thanks so much for your feedback. That sounds the thing to do and consistent with other voices.

Galicia is at its best end of oct (leaves changing colour etc)
Thanks so much for your feedback. My research so far also indicates that Galicia would be good at the end of Oct. I have 60 days for the venture. So I'm thinking of starting mid Sept. @ Roncevalles and ending at SdC by the end of Oct.

Last edited:
Started walking in beginning of sept twice now and both times i had great weather. Your walking towards october which can be colder, can be and probably will be. You could also be lucky.
From aprox mid sept you will notice it will start to get colder earlier at night. A jacket is needed in the shadow when eating drinking outside.

I personally love walking in warm weather. Some days in sept did get extremely hot, which i also dont mind.
I would not trade it for a late sept start and walk most of the camino in a possibly colder and wetter october.

Its all personal, i guess. What kind of weather are you hoping for?
Thanks so much for your feedback. I prefer cooler weather over hot days. I grew up in Texas and have had my fill of hot weather. I live in Pennsylvania now, which has much the same weather northern Spain seems to have at the same time of year (at least that's what my research tells me).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back