• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When is winter?

sonilam

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the camino frances in oct 2012
Hi Iam from Cornwall and planning to walk the Camino Frances the 8th oct. Is this classed as winter and does the local bus still run from pamplona to roncesvalles?
Someone also has told me there is a ferry from Santander to another spanish port. :idea:

Cheers sonilam

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The ALSA bus to Roncesvalles and SJPdP stops running on September 30, 2012.

October becomes "low" season for room rates, but winter is not until December. Nights will be cooler, but I don't need an actual sleeping bag until November. I confess that I like to sleep cold! Only you know if you need to be cozy in your sleeping bag.

There will still be a bus operated by Avitar on October 8:

Pamplona Estación de Autobuses
(Jaurrieta-Pamplona) 18:00 Roncesvalles 19:10 LMXJ ATIVAR, S.L. 6.00 €

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Falcon said: but winter is not until December

I don't want to be an alarmist but I think anyone walking close to the end of October should hold thumbs and pray the Winter Gods don't decide to come early like they did in 2008 and 2009!!

I start my Winter Walking on the Camino blog from October because the weather can turn treacherous towards the end of October with cold, wind, hail and snow.

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/tele ... as&s2=&s3=

My advice - be prepared and be grateful if you have clear weather!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
From another post asking about November weather:
22 55 48 41 Fog , Rain
23 62 56 51 Fog
24 62 52 42
25 57 45 33 Fog
26 59 50 41
27 55 44 33
28 42 37 32 Fog , Tornado
29 44 42 39
30 44 40 37 Fog

Notice that November 28, 2011 "tornado?" As Sillydoll says, weather can turn treacherous even before winter.

Hi Sonilam!
I don't know about your ferry, but as regards winter! The weather in Galicia is much like Cornwall, we are usually on the edge of the same weather fronts that hit the UK, the main difference here is that the sun manages still have some force, even in he middle of winter. Across the meseta there can be some horribly cold winds, closer to the Pyrenees it is anyones guess. I am aiming to walk in mid October and I am keeping my fingers crossed, last October was very warm, but winter was also very mild. I assume that is unlikely to happen 2 years running, but who knows :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I lived in Cornwall between 1968 and 1970 (Near Fowey and later Sennen) and I can most definitely tell you that Galicia IS Cornwall as far as weather is concerned, at least in my part of Galicia (near Muxia).
You´re gonna feel right at home!
Hope we get to meet. I miss Cornwall...
T

Re: When is winter? reply

Priscillian said:
I lived in Cornwall between 1968 and 1970 (Near Fowey and later Sennen) and I can most definitely tell you that Galicia IS Cornwall as far as weather is concerned, at least in my part of Galicia (near Muxia).
You´re gonna feel right at home!
Hope we get to meet. I miss Cornwall...
T
Thank you I think I am going to. I was walking my last bit of the cornish coast path from Sennan to Pendeen 3 weeks ago and had lunch with a seal watching at Cott Valley and the sun shining, truly magical.

I live in St Austell.

I hope we meet too. :)
Sonilam

Re: When is winter? bus reply

falcon269 said:
There will still be a bus operated by Avitar on October 8:

Pamplona Estación de Autobuses
(Jaurrieta-Pamplona) 18:00 Roncesvalles 19:10 LMXJ ATIVAR, S.L. 6.00 €
Hi

Thank you for the info. Im not that good on the how to get there bit. :?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
sonilam said:
Hi Iam from Cornwall and planning to walk the Camino Frances the 8th oct. Is this classed as winter and does the local bus still run from pamplona to roncesvalles?
Someone also has told me there is a ferry from Santander to another spanish port. :idea:

Cheers sonilam
We are from Devon, so not far from you. As others have already commented buses/trains etc go onto a winter timetable in October. Winter itself can set in early in the mountains.

The ferry may be due to some confusion. Brittany Ferries run to both Santander and Bilbao, but from the UK, not between the 2 Spanish ports. There may be a service, but we have not heard about one. The FEVE or ALSA seem to be the way between the two.

For anyone wanting to use a ferry to Santander:-
Brittany Ferries goes to both Santander and Bilbao, but not between them. Plymouth to Santander (once weekly), Portsmouth to Santander (once weekly) or Bilbao (once weekly -different day) with corresponding return trips. Winter for the Plymouth route starts in November with the final ferry out on October 28th and return ferry on October 31st. Portsmouth ferries appear to run all year.
Buen Camino Sonilam

When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of the Camino and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter.
Plagiarized and paraphrased!

Falcon: Have you walked the Camino in "winter"? Just a question as I haven't. Cebrero sounds scary...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
and how long on average does winter last?
Starting in SJPdP beginning of April next year...
Will there be snow? Does it start warming up by then (Spring?)
I don't know much about northern Spain, having been in Southern Spain in November
when it was still like summer in my opinion :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back