• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When it rains in Spain... go to Italy!

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I just wanted to comment to all those pilgrims walking in the downpour in Spain right now...

There is no law that says you have to stay there?
A few years ago in the fall, we had similar weather and I caught a cold.
I needed some sunshine!
So I got online, and found REALLY inexpensive tickets to Rome.
I flew to Rome, stayed at a camping spot with bungalows for a week, and had a great sunny time drying out. Then I returned to Spain and continued my walk.
Just a thought...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Great idea something we might do after walking the Via de la Plata

There is also a mostly undiscovered pilgrim trail called the Via Francigena in Italy too

I just saw some of the via Francigena is closed for flooding. Any cheap tickets to Greece available?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hard to believe the via Francigena is closed due to flooding, maybe some sections. It is a very long trail longer than the camino France's route.

Anniesantiago said:
I just wanted to comment to all those pilgrims walking in the downpour in Spain right now...
Italy is a very extended boot in the Mediterranean where you need checking the weather forecasts before leaping to any one area. The same is true for Spain, which traditionally has the better weather in the South-East of the Peninsula. The advantage here is that you can choose from frequent bus or train connections which do not cost and arm or a leg. When in Spain do as the Spanish do :roll: . (which is not correct as an expression, but it sounds good :lol: )

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Coldest March in 50 years for Italy. Fairly wet to :cry:

Supposedly won't warm up much until mid April.

On the upside they're warning of an unusually warm summer. :roll:

A friend of mine is just back from the north of Italy. The weather there is on and off and very little sunshine. Could be better by May though :)!

I think the weather is strange everywhere this year. :lol:

My point was... if you're absolutely miserable on the Camino, do a little research and take a break to a sunnier place for a few days. It could make a huge difference in your attitude and health and it is NOT that expensive once you're IN Europe, to get flights around to other countries. If you poke around on the internet, you CAN find good fares. Or take a bus to another, drier route. Or go lay on a beach in the Azores or go see Pompeii, or visit Lisbon and Sintra, or just hunker down in a large city like Leon or Barcelona or Paris and take your time seeing all the sites... then return to the Camino refreshed. You can always come back and finish up another year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back